Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,437 members, 7,812,304 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:25 AM

The Story Of Candido Joao Da Rocha (1860 – 1959), One Of Nigeria’s First Million - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Story Of Candido Joao Da Rocha (1860 – 1959), One Of Nigeria’s First Million (1069 Views)

The Story Of Ogedengbe The Yoruba Warrior! / The Story About River Owan In Uhonmora, Edo State / Candido Da Fonseca Galvao, The Yoruba Prince Of Brazil. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of Candido Joao Da Rocha (1860 – 1959), One Of Nigeria’s First Million by shinene2020: 11:37pm On Jun 30, 2017
Have you ever asked any of your parents for money, especially continuously, and they gave you this reply: “Do you think I’m da Rocha?”
Well, I experienced it and growing up, I never knew the meaning of the statement, until I came across a book a friend gave me, when I stumbled on the name “Candido da Rocha”.
He was a rich man who would, from the balcony of his one-storey building, throw down coins to children who would, in a tangle of bodies and flapping hands, struggle for them. So, I remembered vividly why my parents denies being “a da Rocha” anytime I ask for monies I don’t literally need as a child.
Also known as Nigeria’s first millionaire, he was a rich entrepreneur, businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House or Casa d’Agua on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. It was named Water House because it was the first and only house in Lagos in those days to have a borehole and in turn sell water to the residents.

Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha. Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil. His mother was Angelica Josephina da Rocha. His father returned to Lagos, Nigeria in the 1870’s where he built his wealth and passed it to his son, Candido.

Read more: http://www.proudlyoruba.com/the-story-of-candido-joao-da-rocha-1860-1959-one-of-nigerias-first-millionaires-1860-1959/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Story Of Candido Joao Da Rocha (1860 – 1959), One Of Nigeria’s First Million by wealthtrak: 7:39pm On Jun 20, 2021
shinene2020:
Have you ever asked any of your parents for money, especially continuously, and they gave you this reply: “Do you think I’m da Rocha?”
Well, I experienced it and growing up, I never knew the meaning of the statement, until I came across a book a friend gave me, when I stumbled on the name “Candido da Rocha”.
He was a rich man who would, from the balcony of his one-storey building, throw down coins to children who would, in a tangle of bodies and flapping hands, struggle for them. So, I remembered vividly why my parents denies being “a da Rocha” anytime I ask for monies I don’t literally need as a child.
Also known as Nigeria’s first millionaire, he was a rich entrepreneur, businessman, landowner and creditor who owned Water House or Casa d’Agua on Kakawa Street, Lagos Island, Lagos. It was named Water House because it was the first and only house in Lagos in those days to have a borehole and in turn sell water to the residents.

Candido da Rocha, a native of Ilesha, present day, Osun State, was born to the family of Joao Esan da Rocha, who was captured as a slave when he was 10 years old on his way to school in Ilesha. Candido was born in the Bahia region of Brazil. His mother was Angelica Josephina da Rocha. His father returned to Lagos, Nigeria in the 1870’s where he built his wealth and passed it to his son, Candido.

Read more: http://www.proudlyoruba.com/the-story-of-candido-joao-da-rocha-1860-1959-one-of-nigerias-first-millionaires-1860-1959/
Nigeria's first millionaire in
British Pounds. Brazilian-born
Ijesa-Yoruba business icon.

An awesome journey of
the ancestors from Bahia
to Lagos Island!

3 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano's Daughter Princess Siddika Shows Off Her Huge Baby Bump (photos) / OPC Leader,Gani Adams Rolls On The Floor During Church Thanksgiving Service.PICS / So What's With This Rumours About Yorubas I've Been Hearing.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.