Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,935 members, 7,956,515 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 01:12 PM

Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. (1446 Views)

Your Thoughts On Software Piracy. / Nigeria And Software Piracy / Forbidden: Adverts, Cracks, Illegal Hacks, Software Piracy, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by qtx(m): 9:22am On Jan 29, 2010
Dudes,
Am an IT head in a service delivery company here in lagos-Nigeria, just about 20% of our computers are clones earlier bought some years ago. I do not trust the software(OS and Ms Office) used in those ones as the remaining 80% are sure using original software with licences bought in later years and even recently.
I just got a letter from Microsoft Nigeria notifying me of their intended visit next week to come and ensure that the software we are using are licenced and original. And they attached a form along with the letter asking us to fill in their products we are currently using and their details and return to them on or b4 a particular date next week.
Please Nldrs, what is the implication of this their visit? what do we stand to risk from it and what is the way forward. Your advise will be highly appreciated.
thanks

ONE LUV.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by denzel2009: 10:07am On Jan 29, 2010
Sorry I dont know what the outcome might be,but it is wrong using pirated softwares in business environs. Thats where Microsoft or software developers take their revenge. The fines are probably going to be huge or your company shut down.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Nobody: 6:34pm On Jan 29, 2010
i don dey talk of dangers of using pirated software since - people no wan hear

get rid of those pcs - dont know how easy that would be, and all traces of them in your system - or you will be fined
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by aieromon(m): 6:43pm On Jan 29, 2010
hmm. . . . i thought the use of pirated software was restricted to personal computers.
Lucky you,they sent a letter to notify you of their intended visit.i wonder what would have happened if they suprised you.
Find a way to get rid of the systems with the pirated software. . . . except you are ready to pay a heavy fine.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by ariy(m): 4:36am On Jan 30, 2010
the best thing to do is get rid of those pcs. cos it will cost you less than fine.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by NaijaEcash(m): 1:41am On Jan 31, 2010
If you can't afford to get genuine software installed on those computers before they visit, then your best best is to install Ubuntu or any other Linux Operating system on them. As a corporate entity, you won't be spared for using Pirated Software. You were even fortunate that a surprise visit is not what you got.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by imhomoh(m): 12:10pm On Jan 31, 2010
For me i will go with naijaecash idea.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by DualCore1: 1:15pm On Jan 31, 2010
Buy new hard drives for ALL the machines and install linux on them.

Put N/A (not applicable) in all the fields of that form and DHL it to them.
Tell them you wont have the time to schedule a meeting with a company who's software you do not use.
Tell them if they insist on coming, they should book an available date with your Personal Assistant.

When they come, brandish your linux boxes for them. You could make cute poster of Penguins with their tongues out tongue.

When they duck their heads and leave, put back your old hard drives and continue ya work.

Then, call me for my bank account details for i do not offer free technical support of this magnitude.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by v3: 2:43pm On Jan 31, 2010
Mhen you're screwed! shocked shocked

I'd advice you do ANY of these

Go with Dual Core's option

Install Linux Ubuntu, Red Hat. . any other O.S

Since they emailed you, call back and tell then you're re-scheduling their meeting for a latter date to buy time.

Last option'll be to back up your data then fry your Hard Disks.

Anything beyond this point will involve serious green.

Let me know if you're STILL interested. cool
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by aieromon(m): 8:03pm On Jan 31, 2010
I sincerely hope Microsoft is not going through this thread tongue
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jan 31, 2010
heh - new hard drives may not truly erase evidence of piracy - i'm sure there'll be some traces of the old window/office installs on windows server etal
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by spoilt(f): 10:16pm On Jan 31, 2010
Dual Core:

Buy new hard drives for ALL the machines and install linux on them.

Put N/A (not applicable) in all the fields of that form and DHL it to them.
Tell them you wont have the time to schedule a meeting with a company who's software you do not use.
Tell them if they insist on coming, they should book an available date with your Personal Assistant.

When they come, brandish your linux boxes for them. You could make cute poster of Penguins with their tongues out tongue.

When they duck their heads and leave, put back your old hard drives and continue ya work.

Then, call me for my bank account details for i do not offer free technical support of this magnitude.

Sounds like good advice to me.
Wetin? They cant just barge into your office in their own good time. they have to take their turn, and book an appointment. Will give you enough time to put everything in order. Copyright fine no be small matter oh!
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 31, 2010
^^^

na naija - with enough money u can do almost anything

theres a possibility that theres a clause hidden somewhere in the EULA - that thing we all click yes too before installing any software - that allows ms to do just that. i belive in america etal, these visits are conducted by the BSA (business software alliance)

i also believe ms has all those forensic type apps that can always detect whether or not one had windows installed on a pc , how many boxes on the network ran windows

what usull happens in these cases or so i hear is that MS reaches an agreement with the company.

first question, are y'all running volume licenseing on your windows and office installs

2nd question, can u prove that all this piracy was before your time?

this may save our job - tho u may have to anwere uncomfortable questions about why u didnt audit your windows installs

rest assured ms probably is fully aware of your pirated installs, most software 'phones home ' when connected to the internet

wouldn't want to be where you are

the it guys where i work pirate everything except ms products - one day they too go hear am . . .
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by denzel2009: 10:56pm On Jan 31, 2010
oyb:

^^^

na naija - with enough money u can do almost anything

theres a possibility that theres a clause hidden somewhere in the EULA - that thing we all click yes too before installing any software - that allows ms to do just that. i belive in america etal, these visits are conducted by the BSA (business software alliance)

i also believe ms has all those forensic type apps that can always detect whether or not one had windows installed on a pc , how many boxes on the network ran windows

what usull happens in these cases or so i hear is that MS reaches an agreement with the company.

first question, are y'all running volume licenseing on your windows and office installs

2nd question, can u prove that all this piracy was before your time?

this may save our job - tho u may have to anwere uncomfortable questions about why u didnt audit your windows installs

rest assured ms probably is fully aware of your pirated installs, most software 'phones home ' when connected to the internet

wouldn't want to be where you are

the it guys where i work pirate everything except ms products - one day they too go hear am . . .

This is true, they didnt just pick your company at random. Even if you disguise everything, they must be used to all the pranks and will eventually find you out.Sorry mate!
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by DualCore1: 8:32am On Feb 01, 2010
Ok then so this company is erm. . . screwed somehow undecided

Well, get a good lawyer. Can't remember the name of that lawyer Netscape hired years ago to face Microsoft but he sure made that Bill kid sweat some major balls. Hire him!

This is the disadvantage of all these corporate bodies entering 9ja, dem just dey put sand for garri. Google is coming this month, all ye who arth using google to searcheth p0.r,n tongue
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Tudor6(f): 5:03pm On Feb 01, 2010
Are all the computers networked and connected to a server?

If not and they're just individual PC's then there's hope, just get rid of the unliscenced computers.

Even if there's a server you can still get rid of the systems and reset your server logs and time or even re-install it'll probably erase traces of the disconnected systems.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Tudor6(f): 5:04pm On Feb 01, 2010
Come back and tell us how it went.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by abhosts(m): 7:11pm On Feb 01, 2010
It appears as if Bill Gates is giving Microsoft Nigeria some crazy targets. grin
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by blackweaver(m): 7:22pm On Feb 01, 2010
dis man go and buy original cds, since most of your cds are legally licensed i gues it wouldn't be a big deal for you to get originals for the remaining 20%; we're talking abt office right? if u don't have money the get openoffice.org which is free
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by onijogbon(m): 1:33am On Feb 04, 2010
@ topic, for all u know MS 9ja rep fit dey on NL dey read all these advice so.  chei! kasala don buss o!

sux to be u right now o! if na me o (i'm not offering any advice sha o), i go just yank those puters comot for network  carry dem go oga place like a week b4 the visit,

bring dem back when smoke don clear then holla oga make hin get volume license for those 20%.  i can guransure u say the next visit will be unannounced.

besides, who's to say dem no go surface before the date wey dem give u sef? abi, no be 9ja we dey talk?

i hope say ya server(s) dey run "orijo" license sha.  good luck to u o!
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by mikesleek(m): 2:21pm On Feb 07, 2010
i never said so, but have you not realised that with one license, you can license at least 10 computers? Go this way and save your ass. The question will be is it pirated or not? This V guy from MS Nigeria came to my office and the issue of Piracy was discussed with we in IT (a follow up from the partner University program of 2years ago). They really are out for the screws but if you really are a professional IT guy, you should know there are many ways to kill a cat. Even MS recomends them!

@Dual Core, nice thinking bro! Nice thinking.
Re: Microsot Notified My Company Of Their Visit- Software Piracy , Pls Help!. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Feb 07, 2010
^^^^^

you are yarning opata

if the license if for one computer, and you install on three pcs, you are viloating the terms of the eula.

do you really think you can get away with 'i didn't know it was illegal to install it on more than one pc?

unless its a volume license - which i doubt.

(1) (Reply)

Extremely Clean Hp Pavilion Dv9000 From Us 4 sale / Mtn Unlimited Gb Is Now Hot Magic Trick / Hp 255 G4 Amd Dual Core-1.4ghz (2gb,500gb Hdd) Laptop ₦ 87,700

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.