Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,216 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations (1948 Views)

4 Nigerians To Play For Sudan In African Cup Of Nations / What Station Is Showing African Cup Of Nations In The United States? / The Nigerian Team List For African Cup Of Nations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by ifeanyija(m): 2:34pm On Jan 30, 2010
Togo handed two-tournament Nations Cup suspension
By Soccernet staff

January 30, 2010
Comment
Email
Print
Togo have been banned from the next two editions of the African Nations Cup because of "governmental interference" in their decision to pull out of the 2010 tournament after the machine-gun attack on the team bus.

GettyImages

The football world was left shocked by events in Angola

The African Football Confederation (CAF) were unhappy that Togolese prime minister Gilbert Huongbo ordered his team to return from Angola, following the attack on their bus by a separatist movement in Cabinda that left two members of the delegation dead.

After initially pulling out of the competition, the Togo players then decided to play before being ordered back to the country by Huongbo. They were then disqualified by CAF for not turning up to their opening match against Ghana.

CAF president Issa Hayatou told AFP the decision to suspend the country from the 2012 and 2014 competitions was based on "governmental interference".

The armed wing of the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC), embroiled in a decades-long separatist struggle, claimed responsibility for the attack.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=733642&sec=global&cc=3888

Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by charleseee(f): 2:56pm On Jan 30, 2010
Thats good for them, i though they already decided to play before.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by woye77: 3:08pm On Jan 30, 2010
i think it's an issue of power play - togolese govt were not diplomatic in the way they handled the situation - they should have allowed the players to decide - Togo government wanted to show that they were in control and CAF is trying to show them that they are bigger than any team - it's not about sentiments
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by semid4lyfe(m): 3:15pm On Jan 30, 2010
This is it! E don too much, haba!. . . . . . .Isa Hayatou has got to go. . . . . .this is the silliest decision ever taken by CAF. . . . . . . the members who voted for and backed the suspension of Togo from the AFCON must be on some cheap drugs. People lost their lives. . . . families and dependents of these people will be affected by the death of their loved ones and CAF is still banning Togo on top of it. . . . . . . . .Rubbish and Arrant Nonsense!
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by princekevo(m): 3:17pm On Jan 30, 2010
This is rather a harsh and inhuman decision, which make us Africans nothing but beast as they said. So CAF expected Togo to continue the tournament under such tragic condition. What kind of football are they supposed to play that is more than honouring those people who died as a result of Angola's insecurity. Issa Hayatou and CAF committe are nothing but Monkeys, who cannot reason or make the right decision patterning to African football. Instead of punishing Angola for their security lapses that lead to the death of innocent Togolese team members, they are punishing Togo for pulling our of the tournament. NONSENSE!!
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 3:26pm On Jan 30, 2010
Nothing wrong with the decision, football regulations detest government interference.
It is on record that the players had the intention of carrying on with the tournament but the PM declined.
Abacha made us miss SA 1996 and we got banned for the next edition.
Next time,lettem put their money where their mouth is and play the game diplomatically.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by FARAMADE(m): 3:32pm On Jan 30, 2010
charleseee:

Thats good for them, i though they already decided to play before.

I can understand your sentiment, Perhaps Nigerians would have continued playing since we don't value human life, before you attack me, tell me why accident victims are almost always abandoned on the road and even when transported to the hospital, they are not treated for lack of police report, why robbery victims are not treated at hospitals until a police report (which either never come or arrives too late) is received.

woye77:

i think it's an issue of power play - togolese govt were not diplomatic in the way they handled the situation - they should have allowed the players to decide - Togo government wanted to show that they were in control and CAF is trying to show them that they are bigger than any team - it's not about sentiments

WOW! Talk about blaming the victim!
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by semid4lyfe(m): 3:36pm On Jan 30, 2010
aieromon:

Nothing wrong with the decision, football regulations detest government interference.
It is on record that the players had the intention of carrying on with the tournament but the PM declined.
Next time,lettem put their money where their mouth is and play the game diplomatically.
Aiero, are you for real? The situation that led to the ban of Nigeria was different from that of Togo u know? Anyway, a full day after the attack, a Togolese Government Official said as he was speaking to the press they (Togo) were yet to hear any official word from CAF. . . . . .Blame the Government for Interference but also blame CAF for not managing the situation well. . . . . I still maintain it's a silly decision and it shows that CAF has no regard for human life.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by FARAMADE(m): 3:44pm On Jan 30, 2010
aieromon:

The decision is as wrong as it can be, the PM is responsible for the safety of the players if he deem it fit that he does not have confidence in the ability of the host country to protect the citizens of his country,I don't know what proof is needed beyond two corpses, perhaps they would not have been suspended if all the players and officials were killed.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by princekevo(m): 3:52pm On Jan 30, 2010
aieromon:

I dont know how we reason atimes. How on earth can you compare Abacha pulling us out of SA 1996, which was policticallly motivated to the PM of Togo pulling them out of the tournament, as a result of the death of 3 team members as a result of Angola's insecurity. I will ask you one simple question, 3 team members died and you think is right for the PM not to pull them out, if the attack had taking half or almost all the team member,would you and CAF ask the remaining players to continue with the tournament? We should be talking abt the Angola security lapses which led to such attack that took 3 lifes, left many wonded and not a team that pull out coz of losing 3 lifes. 3 human lifes were lost in the attack for god's sake and not 3 cows or monkeys. That is a leader that values human beings and the lifes of his citizens. I know in Nigeria we dont value human lifes ,as such even if we lost 100heads, as long as we still got 11players to continue, Che-ki-na!! who cares?
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by honeric01(m): 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2010
This goes to show that blacks hate blacks and they don't value each other, why would you ban a country after losing their citizens to an attack?

I think the current CAF officials are too old to remain where they are now. they need to start packing, this is rubbish.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by tunku(m): 3:55pm On Jan 30, 2010
I suggest a ban on the CON tournament for the duration of Togo's ban. This decision is absolutely tone-deaf. I would hope that other African nations would follow, but I am not holding my breath. Without a doubt this is one of the most disgraceful ACON ever.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by ochukoccna: 3:58pm On Jan 30, 2010
Now you need not wonder why Africa remians a backwater in almost all [if not all] spheres of human endeavors. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
[size=18pt]BRAIN DEAD CAF Officials![/size]
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by tunku(m): 4:03pm On Jan 30, 2010
To be fair Nigeria and Egypt hosted successful international tournament despite fairs over terrorism and attacks. This horrendous decision is a wicked aberration.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 4:10pm On Jan 30, 2010
I understand the issues you all have raised and i appreciate the constructive criticism.
However,i still maintain my opinion based on CAF Rules n Regulations on government interference.
On record,Did the players want to play?Yes
Did the PM want them to play?No
Did Togo FA request to pull out?No
Discussion continues during the chicken's game.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by ochukoccna: 4:23pm On Jan 30, 2010
What d phuck is 'governmental interference'?
Do the Togolese come from outta space?
No matter the love you profess for a girl in 9ja, if her parents refuse to give her hand to you in marriage, that's it except you choose to elope with her.
Morale of the above means no matter what a government has final say over her citizens.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by tunku(m): 4:25pm On Jan 30, 2010
Not that simple. The Togolese pulled back the team for national mourning and after the CAF proved itself incapable of even updating the Togolese footballing authorities as to the status of the Team for a few days after the attack. After the team was recalled for mourning the Togolese footballing authorities asked CAF to return to the tournament. CAF said no and that is where this should have ended. You just can't rationalize this decision.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by khanye(m): 4:27pm On Jan 30, 2010
It's UNFAIR!
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by ayusco: 4:34pm On Jan 30, 2010
CAF are jerks nuff said
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by ochukoccna: 4:36pm On Jan 30, 2010
Can you believe this jokers called CAF?
This is coming @ a time Togo's wounds from the attack are yet to heal.
The shot keeper is still on his hospitalbed and the concrete yet to dry on the caskets of the fallen.
Can't hAYATOU BE PUSHED OUT?
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by bawomolo(m): 4:49pm On Jan 30, 2010
rather harsh and improper timing.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 5:16pm On Jan 30, 2010
The Executive Committee of the Confederation of African Football met on 30 January 2010 and examined the withdrawal of Togo national team from the Orange Africa Cup of Nations 2010.

The Executive Committee and its president renewed their sincere condolences to the families of victims involved in this tragic terrorist attack which happened January 8, 2010. The attack was condemned by CAF and also a total support was given to the Togolese team.

At that time, CAF said they have understood perfectly the decision of players not to participate in the competition.

Meanwhile, following a decision taken by players to participate in the competition, the Togolese government decided to call back their national team.

The decision taken by the political authorities is infringing CAF and CAN regulations. Therefore, a decision has been taken to suspend the Togo national team for the next two editions of Africa Cup of Nations, with a fine of $50,000.00  handed to the Togolese national football association, in conformity with article 78 of Africa Cup of Nations Angola 2010.
http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/news/4587-togos-withdrawal.html

Article 78
A forfeit notified less than twenty days before the start or during the final competition, shall entail in addition of the forfeit of the entry fee, a maximum fine stipulated by the regulations as well as the suspension of the concerned national association for the following two editions of the African Cup of Nations.
Moreover, the withdrawal shall entail the forfeit of its share in the profits realised from the receipts. In addition, the Organising Committee may order the concerned national association to make compensation for any eventual damages.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by comechop(m): 5:38pm On Jan 30, 2010
This is depravity at its best. Are you kidding me?? Rules are made for the unruly. Rules was made for man, not man for rules. Why are we so blind??
Issa hayatou needs to go. Its about time that we stood up against the past 20 years of his dictatorship. African football really hasn't moved forward in a long time, and its time for fresh ideas and innovation.

The problem arises when our leaders want to stick to their so called rules, at the expense of rational thought and action. 3 people were freaking killed, and yet you have the guts to ban them.

Madness.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by princekevo(m): 6:02pm On Jan 30, 2010
aieromon:

http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations-angola_2010/news/4587-togos-withdrawal.html
Article 78
A forfeit notified less than twenty days before the start or during the final competition, shall entail in addition of the forfeit of the entry fee, a maximum fine stipulated by the regulations as well as the suspension of the concerned national association for the following two editions of the African Cup of Nations.
Moreover, the withdrawal shall entail the forfeit of its share in the profits realised from the receipts. In addition, the Organising Committee may order the concerned national association to make compensation for any eventual damages.
My Guy the bold is just making you and CAF more senseles, becoz In such rules there is always a provision for an unforseen occurance. Probably we should ask the rebels why they did not give 21 or 22 days warning to Togo team b4 attacking them, so that they have enough time to notify CAF of their pulling out. All is Bullshi.t
The world itself are afraid of SA 2010 becoz of the attack in Angola, and instead of CAF to probe into the attack they are busy making decision in punishing the victims.
I asked you one simple question that you and CAf fail to answer, if the whole team in the bus was shot to death, would they wake from their grave to honour those craps(rules), becoz it wasnt up to 20days b4 the tournament?
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by semid4lyfe(m): 6:18pm On Jan 30, 2010
Aiero, your signature dey lie o . . . you don lose this one, lol. Me thinks, what Togo needs right now from CAF is empathy and not a ban. CAF could even give them some sort of concession like exempting them from the 1st round and drafting them automatically into the 2nd round of the AFCON 2012 qualifiers. This a rubbish decision. . . . . Anyway, I just shot you an email. . . go check your inbox and reply me jare.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 6:24pm On Jan 30, 2010
princekevo:

I asked you one simple question that you and CAf fail to answer, if the whole team in the bus was shot to death, would they wake from their grave to honour those craps(rules), becoz it wasnt up to 20days b4 the tournament?

No need for the insults,try to be mature,ok.
Did Zambia walk out of the 1994 AFCON because their team was involved in a plane crash?I bet you Togo would not have walked out if their first team was involved in a plane crash.
The Togolese PM did not pull out the team because they wanted to mourn the dead,rather he called it an act of terrorism.Spot the difference and notice the political interference.He was trying to prove a stupid point and using the emotions of people as a cheap score card.

I am a stickler for the law and i try to play by the rules.
Now let me ask you a simple question,if a lady gets raped,and the next day,she kills the guy,will the law hold her for murder or not?
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 6:27pm On Jan 30, 2010
semid4lyfe:

Aiero, your signature dey lie o . . . you don lose this one, lol. Me thinks, what Togo needs right now from CAF is empathy and not a ban. CAF could even give them some sort of concession like exempting them from the 1st round and drafting them automatically into the 2nd round of the AFCON 2012 qualifiers. This a rubbish decision. . . . . Anyway, I just shot you an email. . . go check your inbox and reply me jare.

I repeat,the team wanted to play to honor the dead but the chicken PM chose to show off his big balls.You win some,you lose some.
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by vislabraye(m): 6:58pm On Jan 30, 2010
Some of you supporting CAF's decision, i dont want to call you people, I can't believe some people could be mean to support such evil decision by CAF. I hear some people saying Govt. intervention, what arrant non-sense.

When it comes to security of the citizens of a nation do you expect the Togolese Govt. to seat down and fold their hands after such thing happened? Had it been an American citizen was involved do you think the goverment would keep quiet about it? Yet some people expect their goverment tobe indifferent. I support what the Togolese government did. It was their way of mourning for the dead. All CAF needed to do was to send their condolense instead of trading blame.

CAF is very foolish, insensitive and incompetent. This is the worst competition so far filled with faulty officiating,
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by vislabraye(m): 7:02pm On Jan 30, 2010
Some of you supporting CAF's decision, i dont want to call you people, I can't believe some people could be mean to support such evil decision by CAF. I hear some people saying Govt. intervention, what arrant non-sense.

When it comes to security of the citizens of a nation do you expect the Togolese Govt. to seat down and fold their hands after such thing happened? Had it been an American citizen was involved do you think the goverment would keep quiet about it? Yet some people expect their goverment tobe indifferent. I support what the Togolese government did. It was their way of mourning for the dead. All CAF needed to do was to send their condolense instead of trading blame.

CAF is very foolish, insensitive and incompetent. This is the worst competition so far filled with faulty officiating,
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by princekevo(m): 7:29pm On Jan 30, 2010
Now let me ask you a simple question,if a lady gets despoiled,and the next day,she kills the guy,will the law hold her for murder or not?

First, i dont see my initial statement as an insult, I called what you pasted as rule a pieces of Crap. You are not a Caf officials that made the rule, you are just defending their foolishness.
Also you never answer question yet, but chosed to give irrelivant illustration which has nothing to do with we are saying. Despite that i will still answer question. If the Girl killed the guy in defence from being despoiled or getting killed i dont think she would be charge with murder. That is self defence, Togo pulled out in self defense, coz even you and your CAF can not gaurantee their 100% security. So the PM made the right decision to pull out. I know Nigerians dont value their citizens life.

The Togolese PM did not pull out the team because they wanted to mourn the dead,rather he called it an act of terrorism.Spot the difference and notice the political interference.He was trying to prove a silly point and using the emotions of people as a cheap score card.
An attack that failed on 25th december with 0 death was declared by Obama immediately as an act of Terrorism, but here we are with our african mentality, on an attack that killed 3 men and a presisent declared it as an act of terrorist you are calling it a silly point. If it wasnt an act of terrorism(domestic Terrorism), what is the connection b/w Togo teams, and Angola political crises, that warranted such attack on them by the rebels?
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by aieromon(m): 7:51pm On Jan 30, 2010
I answered your question with another question,nah
aieromon:

No need for the insults,try to be mature,ok.
Did Zambia walk out of the 1994 AFCON because their team was involved in a plane crash?

princekevo:

Despite that i will still answer question. If the Girl killed the guy in defence from being despoiled or getting killed i dont think she would be charge with murder.

I don't think the law will support you on this one

princekevo:

First, i dont see my initial statement as an insult, I called what you pasted as rule a pieces of Crap. You are not a Caf officials that made the rule, you are just defending their foolishness.

Honestly,i don't support the decision because it is very harsh for the Togolese to bear.I'm looking at it from the law angle.What defense will CAF put up should Togo take the case to the Court of Arbitration??
Article 78
They will also back it up with FIFA's no-nonsense stand on government interference.
That's my angle,there
Re: Togo Banned From 2012 And 2014 African Cup Of Nations by sultan003(m): 8:12pm On Jan 30, 2010
This is injustice to the highest order. Instead of consoling the victims, they are infact punishing them.

I heard that before togo left, they got an assurance from Moustapha Famy(CAF's Secretary General ) that they won't be punished.

Zambian's case is different from this one because they had over a year to prepare and raise a new team,

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neymar Picks Okocha's Former Jersey Number At PSG / See Who Chelsea Wants To Sign Before The End Of Next Week To Replace Costa / Can You Identify This Stadium Or Field?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.