Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,758 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience (1516 Views)

2018 PTDF UK Scholarship: Check If You Have Been Shortlisted / 2017/2018 Ptdf Scholarship- Check If You Have Been Shortlisted / 2017/2018 PTDF Scholarship Scheme (Overseas And Local) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by painedptdfasp: 9:53pm On Jul 08, 2017
The PTDF scholarship award was announced in Dec 2016 for aspiring 2017 scholars.

In lieu of this, I registered for it and paid the applicable 1k as required. I also made sure I selected petroleum economics on the ptdf registration page and was subsequently invited for the test on the 8th July 2017.

On getting to the exam centre and inputting my PIN for the test, I realised that the courses have been grouped into 5 places with the warning that once the wrong course is selected, there is no going back.

Therefore, I am aware of the warning and selected my petroleum economics as i studied Economics (B.sc).

However, while the questions popped up, I realised all the questions populating were strictly engineering questions as it does not relate to Petroleum Economics.

All effort to speak to the coordinator fell on deaf ears as I was told I should just select any answer and go home.

According to Google and my petroleum economics course notes in school, see below definitions for Petroleum economics as against what Flexisaf uploaded as petroleum Economics.

Petroleum Economics involves the application of the techniques of economic analysis at every stage in the development of oil and gas exploration and production projects. The economics of oil and gas projects are affected by a range of factors, including:

the level of knowledge about the oil or gas field
the location, type and number of wells
market conditions
the effect of tax/royalty systems
By analysing factors like these, Petroleum Economists are able to assist in making investment decisions, such as deciding whether or not to drill an exploration well or whether or not to develop an entire gas production project. They are crucial in the negotiations around Production Sharing Contracts and purchasing oil and gas properties. Petroleum Economists are also involved in the assessment and management of the technical, economic and other risks associated with the different phases of an oil or gas projects.

See link http://petrowiki.org/PEH:Petroleum_Economics for more on Petroleum economics.
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by painedptdfasp: 9:58pm On Jul 08, 2017
According to Society of Engineers, http://www.spe.org/training/courses/IPTC.php

Petroleum Economics has a vital role to play in the Oil & Gas Industry and it lies at the heart of all decision making. Various techniques have evolved over time in determining and calculating economic inputs, evaluating investments, quantifying risk and generating feasible portfolios. Petroleum Economics brings together information and expertise across the E&P spectrum and a clear understanding of concepts such as cash flow analysis, organizational challenges, price forecasting, cost drivers and risk management is required. This training event aims to bring together a wide industry audience including practitioners of economics and decision making, petroleum engineers & geoscientists and offers structured short interactive training sessions on topics such as Economic Modeling, Decision Analysis, Exploration Analysis and Economics of Unconventional Resources.

According to https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/degree-programmes/228/petroleum-energy-economics-and-finance/ , University of Aberdeen Petroleum Economics course syllabus...

[b]This highly-distinctive, 1-year Masters programme combines the disciplined study of economic principles with a deep understanding of the dynamic, constantly evolving energy industry.

In the first semester, we will make sure that you are fully versed with the key micro and macroeconomic modelling techniques. And to make financial sense of the data, there will be time spent understanding the critical aspects of financial analysis. You will also gain an in-depth understanding of energy and petroleum economics and explore issues like the Hotelling model and oil price behaviour, the role of OPEC and the issues of global warming and renewables in an economic context.

In semester two, we ramp up your strategic thinking using game theory to demonstrate how businesses interact strategically, globally. We will help to develop your individual analytical skills and judgement surrounding energy industry investment decisions having to be made in an uncertain world.

During the summer term, you will undertake a dissertation project from a range of possible key topics in the petroleum and energy industries. Past subjects have included economic evaluation of oil and gas taxation, energy policy analysis and investments in the petroleum and energy industries.[/b]

Even the mighty IFP says ... http://www.ifp-school.com/jcms/r_8934/en/petroleum-economics-and-management?part=contenu

The course content for Petroleum Economics includes

Courses at IFP School

The program of the two terms is organized around three main subject areas:

Business and management:
Finance & accounting
Organizational behavior
Strategic management

Energy:

Energy economics and development
Energy geopolitics
Upstream management
Downstream management and sustainable development
Commodities markets and trading
Production and reservoir engineering
Refining

Quantitative tools:

Efficiency analysis of the industrial firms
Decision sciences
Advanced econometrics
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by painedptdfasp: 9:59pm On Jul 08, 2017
However, Flexisaf presented different areas from the above schools.

See below sample questions from Flexisaf PTDF test.

[b]Which of the following has a minimum octane number of 45
a) Diesel for naval application
b) Diesel for domestic use
c) Diesel for domestic use
d) All of the above
The type of solvent used in duo-sol extraction for lube oil up graduation is a mixture of
a) Propane and Carbondioxide
b) Glycol and furfural
c) Methyl ethyl ketone and phenol
d) Propane and phenol – cresol blend
The portion of crude oil that has a higher atmospheric pressure is called
a) Molecular weight
b) Feedstock to a fluid catalytic cracking
c) Thermal cracking
d) Catalyst
Which of the following tests is not done for transformer oil?
a) Streak point and corrosive steam
b) Dielectric quality
c) Anoline point
d) Copper strip consumption test
The method of reducing CO2 footprint consist of the following except?
a) Energy efficient
b) Capture and storage of CO2 in coal beds
c) Minimize energy consumption and losses
d) Produce more electricity
One of the below listed item is not a vital refinery process for over healing the nature of lubricating oil.
a) Solvent refining
b) Clay treatment
c) Hydro oiling
d) Hydro treatment
Propane de waxing process was developed and first used in 1932 by
a) Standard Oil company, New jersey, USA
b) Shell Oil
c) Standard Oil company of Indiana, USA
d) Union Oil Company
API classification and MOP are used in deciding the length of
a) Drill well
b) Determining the size of oil field
c) The length of drill pipe
d) None of the above[/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by painedptdfasp: 10:03pm On Jul 08, 2017
Someone should please enlighten me maybe I am the one getting it wrong.

I feel Flexisaf has wasted my time, money and effort. Why populated engineering questions for economics?

I feel I should be heard. Flexisaf has just wasted the opportunity for me.

Flexisaf is not a credible aptitude test cordinating institution.

Signed.
Painedptdf aspiring scholar.

lalasticlala
Seun
David470
uboma
Mynd44
olawalebabs
Fynestboi
Richiez

Help push to the front page.

Thanks
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by maikant(m): 11:36pm On Jul 08, 2017
I studied BSc Economics and also face the same issue as urs. I just remembered my Chinco chinco guessing skills and I applied it. Honestly the questions are totally different from what petroleum economics is about.
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by Mstrsheikh: 6:27am On Jul 09, 2017
painedptdfasp:
The PTDF scholarship award was announced in Dec 2016 for aspiring 2017 scholars.

In lieu of this, I registered for it and paid the applicable 1k as required. I also made sure I selected petroleum economics on the ptdf registration page and was subsequently invited for the test on the 8th July 2017.

On getting to the exam centre and inputting my PIN for the test, I realised that the courses have been grouped into 5 places with the warning that once the wrong course is selected, there is no going back.

Therefore, I am aware of the warning and selected my petroleum economics as i studied Economics (B.sc).

However, while the questions popped up, I realised all the questions populating were strictly engineering questions as it does not relate to Petroleum Economics.

All effort to speak to the coordinator fell on deaf ears as I was told I should just select any answer and go home.

According to Google and my petroleum economics course notes in school, see below definitions for Petroleum economics as against what Flexisaf uploaded as petroleum Economics.

Petroleum Economics involves the application of the techniques of economic analysis at every stage in the development of oil and gas exploration and production projects. The economics of oil and gas projects are affected by a range of factors, including:

the level of knowledge about the oil or gas field
the location, type and number of wells
market conditions
the effect of tax/royalty systems
By analysing factors like these, Petroleum Economists are able to assist in making investment decisions, such as deciding whether or not to drill an exploration well or whether or not to develop an entire gas production project. They are crucial in the negotiations around Production Sharing Contracts and purchasing oil and gas properties. Petroleum Economists are also involved in the assessment and management of the technical, economic and other risks associated with the different phases of an oil or gas projects.

See link http://petrowiki.org/PEH:Petroleum_Economics for more on Petroleum economics.
My bro I was exactly in your shoes, I am a petroleum economics consultant and conduct training for E&P companies, nothing in those questions was even close to petroleum economics, chemical engineering questions so sad I had headache after the exam that I had to log out 30mins before my time elapsed what's was their aim

Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by m4chj: 7:39am On Jul 09, 2017
Well I wouldn't say I was in ur exact shoes.
For me I put in for instrumentation and process control cos as a Chem ENGR graduate I was more comfortable in that subject area than in reaction engrg and Co.
My experience
1) about 9 questions had no diagram and you are expected to derive ur answers from them
2) the level of questions eh..... At a point I was beginning to wonder if this guys think we all r already doing the masters.
3) then the English...... I don't even want to comment on that first...

1 Like

Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by abmarine(m): 8:36am On Jul 09, 2017
m4chj:
Well I wouldn't say I was in ur exact shoes.
For me I put in for instrumentation and process control cos as a Chem ENGR graduate I was more comfortable in that subject area than in reaction engrg and Co.
My experience
1) about 9 questions had no diagram and you are expected to derive ur answers from them
2) the level of questions eh..... At a point I was beginning to wonder if this guys think we all r already doing the masters.
3) then the English...... I don't even want to comment on that first...

mine more than 15 questions with diagram, is only one two diagram shows. I was just wondering where I will get the diagram from to generate my answers.

1 Like

Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by painedptdfasp: 10:25am On Jul 09, 2017
maikant:
I studied BSc Economics and also face the same issue as urs. I just remembered my Chinco chinco guessing skills and I applied it. Honestly the questions are totally different from what petroleum economics is about.

Exactly..chinko guessing skills.

Lalasticlala ......
Re: PTDF 2017 Test - My Experience by bigarkuwa: 2:57pm On Jul 09, 2017
What a hard luck. Sometimes its good to ask people with experience before going into such things.

I have 3 PTDF scholars in my family, the last still in Uni of St Andrews Scotland. They all told me the course you chose during reg is not necessarily the course you must take test on. Moreover, your course of choice is not necessarily the course you must present PTDF an offer of admission. They just dont pay attention to that. Get shortlisted no matter your course choice. Pass the aptitude test no matter the test you've taken. In the end, when you're published as a successful scholar you can either allow the scheme to get you an offer or best you apply in due time and apply for a University and course of your choice and just issue them an unconditional offer. They'll do the wiring without asking any question. [quote author=Mstrsheikh post=58269660][/quote]

(1) (Reply)

The Oke Ogun Polytechnic, Saki HND Screening / Obafemi Awolowo University Students Faults CBN Proposed Senate Building / 10 Most Dangerous Roads In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.