Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,180 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? (6365 Views)

How Reliable Are Innoson Buses For Transport Business? / Why Are Nissan Cars Overlooked? / How Reliable Are Bmws (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:40am On Jul 10, 2017
Specifically 1996-2004. Which MODEL YEAR would you recommend for rough riding our beautiful Nigerian roads. In terms of reliability, maintenance costs...in terms of parts costs and availability including frequency of replacements.

Thank you.
Also what are the things to watch out for when procuring one?

Cc
Nurey
Diportivo
Nissparts
Princetom1
Autopartz
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:59am On Jul 10, 2017
If it would help. I am basically trying to compare the 3.3 V6 engine with the 3.5 engine
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by nurey(m): 10:02am On Jul 10, 2017
i would pick the 2001 to 2004 nissan pathfinder with 3.5L engine the mpg with the 3.0L and 3.3L is virtual same, but the ojukokoro that accompanies it is what i fall/fell in love with. The 2003 and 2004 special edition are very very expensive in Nigeria.

also the 3.5L has timing chain, which i prefer than timing belt. If you dont know the difference just by a Infiniti QX4 from 2000 upwards.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 10:08am On Jul 10, 2017
nurey:
i would pick the 2001 to 2004 nissan pathfinder with 3.5L engine the mpg with the 3.0L and 3.3L is virtual same, but the ojukokoro that accompanies it is what i fall/fell in love with. The 2003 and 2004 special edition are very very expensive in Nigeria.

also the 3.5L has timing chain, which i prefer than timing belt. If you dont know the difference just by a Infiniti QX4 from 2000 upwards.
But the belts are easier to replace than the chains?
Also I read that the 3.5 engine has a lot of unresolved issues
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by nurey(m): 10:21am On Jul 10, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

But the belts are easier to replace than the chains?
Also I read that the 3.5 engine has a lot of unresolved issues

i have driven a timing chain before from Nissan, i have never known the 3.5L engine to have any issue, even the 3.4L of the 4runner cannot stand near it. Look around you the 3.5L has more presence than its predecessors its no brainer.

timing chain is better than belt, remember if a chain has stretched, it will give you known issues that can be easily known and the change interval is more, the only issue is wrong oil engine oil will reduce its life time, as for belt, if its non interference engine, you just hustle belt or use rope manage to nearest garage when it gives way, if its interference engine, you know you are in hot soup when it gives way.

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 10:24am On Jul 10, 2017
nurey:

i have driven a timing chain before from Nissan, i have never known the 3.5L engine to have any issue, even the 3.4L of the 4runner cannot stand near it. Look around you the 3.5L has more presence than its predecessors its no brainer.

timing chain is better than belt, remember if a chain has stretched, it will give you known issues that can be easily known and the change interval is more, the only issue is wrong oil engine oil will reduce its life time, as for belt, if its non interference engine, you just hustle belt or use rope manage to nearest garage when it gives way, if its interference engine, you know you are in hot soup when it gives way.
Thanks. But from 2001-2004 which one would you recommend?
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by nurey(m): 10:29am On Jul 10, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Thanks. But from 2001-2004 which one would you recommend?

2004 special edition/platinum if you can find one and is within your budget

2 Likes

Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 11:29am On Jul 10, 2017
nurey:

2004 special edition/platinum if you can find one and is within your budget
Thanks.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by Kufie(m): 3:54am On Jul 11, 2017
nurey:

Nope!! The 3.4L on the 3rd generation 4runner will kill Nissan's 3.5L V6 anytime, anyday, anywhere.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 5:43am On Jul 11, 2017
Kufie:

Nope!! The 3.4L on the 3rd generation 4runner will kill Nissan's 3.5L V6 anytime, anyday, anywhere.
The 3.5 engine is prone to overheating destruction
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by princemillla(m): 9:25am On Jul 11, 2017
Bros don't buy 3.5 buy 3.0 and 2002, 2003 is my chose for u. Pls learn from my mistakes with nissan
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by diportivo: 9:36am On Jul 11, 2017
princemillla:
Bros don't buy 3.5 buy 3.0 and 2002, 2003 is my chose for u. Pls learn from my mistakes with nissan

which one be 3.0 for 2002 model

na 1995 model dey get the 3.0

btw,theres absolutely nothing wrong with the 3.5l engine....
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by princemillla(m): 9:41am On Jul 11, 2017
diportivo:

which one be 3.0 for 2002 model

na 1995 model dey get the 3.0

btw,theres absolutely nothing wrong with the 3.5l engine....

Thanks for the correction.... My inherited hatred for nissan this hen, the pathfinder 3.5 is still OK but don't try 4.0 my take
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by nurey(m): 10:20am On Jul 11, 2017
princemillla:

Thanks for the correction.... My inherited hatred for nissan this hen, the pathfinder 3.5 is still OK but don't try 4.0 my take

the 4.0L engine is as reliable as can be whether its V6 or V8, no shaking. I know for a fact the 2006 pathfinder is a very strong car engine or whatever.

whats with over heating damaging car, i dont get, most cars from 2000 upwards have aluminium engine no more steel, so i dont get what people mean by over heating oyinbo use am for 15years, why should it be any different down here
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by kingreign(m): 11:16am On Jul 11, 2017
nurey:

the 4.0L engine is as reliable as can be whether its V6 or V8, no shaking. I know for a fact the 2006 pathfinder is a very strong car engine or whatever.

whats with over heating damaging car, i dont get, most cars from 2000 upwards have aluminium engine no more steel, so i dont get what people mean by over heating oyinbo use am for 15years, why should it be any different down here

the 4.0l v6, is a shitty engine. Camshaft sensor problem infested engine, timing chain rail guide problem, timing chain idlers and tension problem, radiator coolant mixing with atf problem. A whole lot is wrong with VQ40DE.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by kingreign(m): 11:18am On Jul 11, 2017
princemillla:

you're right bro. The VQ35DE is the best engine produced by Nissan till date IMHO.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by nurey(m): 11:20am On Jul 11, 2017
kingreign:

the 4.0l v6, is a shitty engine. Camshaft sensor problem infested engine, timing chain rail guide problem, timing chain idlers and tension problem, radiator coolant mixing with atf problem. A whole lot is wrong with VQ40DE.

the bolded was the only major problem i know about the engine but the by pass worked wonders for the engine and it was only for a particular year 05 to 06 model or so. Still doesnt mean the truck isnt reliable
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by kingreign(m): 12:21pm On Jul 11, 2017
nurey:

the bolded was the only major problem i know about the engine but the by pass worked wonders for the engine and it was only for a particular year 05 to 06 model or so. Still doesnt mean the truck isnt reliable
believe me, there were alot wrong. Read up problems of VQ40DE.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 3:28pm On Aug 04, 2017
kingreign:

Nurey is this what you were comparing with Audi?
Now take this..

Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by ray48: 2:38pm On Aug 05, 2017
Nissan Pathfinder 1999 model with 3.3 litre engine is a wonderful car & hardly gives issues. It uses the same engine with Nissan Xterra 2002 & 2003 model. The only issue is the fuel consumption which is expected of a V6 Engine. Another common problem I noticed in the 3.3 litres engine is the timing belt which doesn't last very very long before it cuts. Also the ignition can fail without notice thereby leaving u stranded. These issues were also confirmed by some mechanics as well as some other users of the 3.3 litres Engine.
But apart from the above, they are Good to Go.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 2:41pm On Aug 05, 2017
ray48:
Nissan Pathfinder 1999 model with 3.3 litre engine is a wonderful car & hardly gives issues. It uses the same engine with Nissan Xterra 2002 & 2003 model. The only issue is the fuel consumption which is expected of a V6 Engine. Another common problem I noticed in the 3.3 litres engine is the timing belt which doesn't last very very long before it cuts. Also the ignition can fail without notice thereby leaving u stranded. These issues were also confirmed by some mechanics as well as some other users of the 3.3 litres Engine.
But apart from the above, they are Good to Go.

Timing belt does it spend up to 6 months?
What components fail in the ignition?

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by ray48: 3:17pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Timing belt does it spend up to 6 months?
What components fail in the ignition?

The timing belt from my own experience lasts for an average of two years or so.
The ignition that fails is is the round black component in the engine where all the plug wires meet. I guess it's called the ignition cos that's what the mechanics made me to believe it is.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by kingreign(m): 4:06pm On Aug 05, 2017
Distribution coil
ray48:

The ignition that fails is is the round black component in the engine where all the plug wires meet. I guess it's called the ignition cos that's what the mechanics made me to believe it is.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 5:08pm On Aug 05, 2017
kingreign:
Distribution coil
I am beginning to like this truck.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 5:08pm On Aug 05, 2017
ray48:

Then car is pretty reliable.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Nurey is this what you were comparing with Audi?
Now take this..

Did a Striker just fall on him? grin
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 7:53pm On Aug 05, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Did Striker just fall on him? grin
Copyrighted by thee sir
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 7:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
kingreign:
Distribution coil
Kingreign what do you have against the 99/2000 pathy?
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by twinskenny(m): 8:11pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Kingreign what do you have against the 99/2000 pathy?

am in your shoe sir base on decision

i just moved to a new area with absolute bad road.. am looking for something rugged though tight budget....

currently using a golf 3 but wont stand that road. let me know when u make a decision sir
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by SmartchoicesNG: 8:30pm On Aug 05, 2017
twinskenny:

am in your shoe sir base on decision

i just moved to a new area with absolute bad road.. am looking for something rugged though tight budget....

currently using a golf 3 but wont stand that road. let me know when u make a decision sir
Xterra pathy or 4runner
Cc
Egunmogaji
Nurey
Diportivo
Come and enlighten us more. For me I stand with the 99/2000 pathy or at worst an xterra. Roads in my zone are becoming like a hunting trail day by day

1 Like

Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by Nobody: 12:09am On Aug 06, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Xterra pathy or 4runner
Cc
Egunmogaji
Nurey
Diportivo
Come and enlighten us more. For me I stand with the 99/2000 pathy or at worst an xterra. Roads in my zone are becoming like a hunting trail day by day

I enjoy navigating the roads to my site. I pay $25 dollars per day to enjoy such a road here in the USA grin

Anyways, my choice was a MY02 Toyota 4Runner 4WD. The only option was the model year.
Re: How Reliable Are Nissan Pathfinder Vehicles? by dorcky: 8:24pm On Feb 04, 2021
Please how much does this pathfinder cost ?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Key Programming / Bugatti Veyron Vs Six-wheeled Covini C6w / Top 10 Fastest Cars In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.