Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,163 members, 7,860,169 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 07:13 AM

Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) - Celebrities (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) (33481 Views)

Lamboginny Marries Taccara Rae. Wedding Photos (Vintage Themed) / Singer Lamboginny Engaged To Taccara Rae (Pictures) / Picture Of Kemen, A BBN Contestant, Takes Over Major Billboards In His State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by wiloy2k8(m): 2:06pm On Jul 10, 2017
brothers car entered that hole once .... he is always so conscious when ever he takes the road .
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by upuphim(m): 2:11pm On Jul 10, 2017
There are some places where flood drain on the bridge no longer drains the flood but keeps the water that now has colour green.
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by naptu2: 2:12pm On Jul 10, 2017
The death trap of manholes in Abuja

By Tosin Omoniyi & Chidimma Okeke |
Publish Date: Aug 21 2013 5:00AM

Despite spirited calls on the authorities to cover the numerous gaping manholes on the streets of Abuja, whose covers were stolen by vandals, many of these can still be found around the capital city.

They can be found virtually everywhere in and around the capital city, wide open and at times oozing out terrible odour that leaves residents gasping for breath. 

Normally they are supposed to be sealed. But with the rising brigandage in the capital city coupled with upsurge in criminal activities, the iron castings used to cover these large manholes are disappearing with a rapidity that has left the authorities confused.

The metal covers are said to be quite expensive when sold to middle men and blacksmiths hence the attraction it poses for the criminal minded ones. But the open chasms of death are posing serious danger for many inhabitants of the capital city. In the past few months, a few residents have had ugly experiences passing over these dangerous holes.

A reporter with one of the major dailies in Abuja nearly lost his life when he plunged half way into the one of the manholes in the Utako area of the city. Just coming back from lunch at the Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) Abuja office in the evening, he had fallen into the hole. 

He was quickly pulled out of the trap by passersby, who were luckily on the spot at the moment. But he did not escape the ordeal without injuries. Months after the incident, he still feels goose pimples anytime he recalls the incident. 

“The manhole covers are usually stolen by scavengers. And most times some sewages and drainages bring out bad smells as you drive or pass by. No one seems to care about the dangers posed by their presence everywhere. The authorities should do something about it because people are paying for it through tenement rate and other taxes. I think they just don’t care,’’ he noted.

Another resident, who simply identifies herself as ‘Mummy Joy’ said she escaped death by the whiskers a few weeks ago.

“That thing (open manhole) is not good. One day I alighted from a cab around Jabi not knowing there was a hole behind me. I stepped back and one of my legs went right into the hole but it was not serious because people around came to my rescue. I had little bruises at the end though,” she recalled. 

The tale does not end there. Architect Michael Adams also had this chilling experience. ‘’The stealing of manhole is caused by poverty as people have to look for a means of survival. That is why they steal the covers. The government has not provided enough economic security for people and they have to do what they can to survive. I had a bad experience while I was travelling along Abuja -Lokoja road, I fell into one of such holes. It was terrible. It caused damage to the car I was in.’’

Another resident, Kazeem Ahmed had to be pulled halfway up one of the manholes by rescuers to escape certain death. Wearing a kaftan may have been his saving grace as the hem of the clothing prevented his plunge into the hole, as it got hooked by a piece of metal attached to the manhole. He also lived to tell his tale but many in the city wonder just how many more may have unsavoury tales to recount relating to these uncovered slits which can be found in many parts of Abuja today. In some cities in Nigeria, there are unverified cases of people who have plunged to their deaths when they fell down these holes.

Tony Sunji, a medical practitioner with the University of Abuja Teaching Hospital gives a brief summary of the terrible dangers posed by the uncovered holes to anyone, who has the misfortune of falling into one of them. 

He noted that death is only one of the probable results of such a fatal plunge. 

“Anyone, who falls into the hole is bound to suffer major fractures or concussion on impact. If he or she is lucky it may just be minor bruises. The severity also depends on which part of the body is affected on impact. In more severe cases, it can lead to the death of the victim. The metal casing of the manholes makes the impact more serious, especially if it is an unexpected happening that catches the person unawares. Whichever way it happens, it is bound to create shock in the affected person no matter how strong of character such a person may be,’’ he said.

Motorists are also believed to have lost tyres and vehicle parts after bumping into these holes, some of which have rusty and sharp edges created by thieves, who make use of the cover of darkness to remove the covers. 

Manholes are very strong materials used in covering the top opening to a vault or underground public works or facilities. This cover  is also used to protect underground workers against outside elements as well as intruders. It protects vehicles from plunging into the deep holes on highways. 

Findings also reveal that the metal covers which are made from 100 percent finely forged iron , is expensive to manufacture and so it is a natural source of attraction for petty thieves, who sell it for a fortune or a stipend at times.

Spokesperson for the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, FCT command, David Akinbinu, said the command had made several arrests of vandals, who steal such covers and has arraigned them in court. He said the expensive nature of the covers make them prime targets for petty criminals and assured residents that the corps would continue to do all in its powers to safeguard the residents and critical infrastructure.

In a recent chat with our reporter over the same issue, head, media and public enlightenment of the Abuja Environmental Board (AEPB), Joe Ukairo said the issue was a major source of concern for both the agency and the FCT Engineering Department, that are involved in the manufacture and maintenance of the manholes and sewer lines in the city. 

He said in a statement that, ‘’They (FCDA) are actually in the best position to give you the information you require, but all I can say is that we are only involved in the maintenance of these manholes which serve as inlets into the sewer lines. We have a monitoring and enforcement team that we primarily charge with the responsibility of ensuring that no one tampers with the manholes. Of course, we work in collaboration with officers of the FCT Engineering Unit and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC to make sure that the manholes are protected from the activities of thieves. But you will agree with me that most of the theft takes place in the night when people have gone to their homes. But we still believe that the protection of these manholes and by extension the public utilities, is a shared responsibility between the government and the people. For example, if a resident notices someone removing a sewer cover or any public property, nothing stops him or her from raising alarm or calling the security operatives. Public utilities belong to all of us, so we must all ensure their safety at all times.’’

https://www.dailytrust.com.ng/daily/city-news/3568-the-death-trap-of-manholes-in-abuja

1 Like

Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by VictorEkwere: 2:29pm On Jul 10, 2017
Jostico:

I do not understand why sane person don't understand joke. which make me call him insane.
must u joke over every thing even something as life threatening as this u are still joking pls try be serious for ones

2 Likes

Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by morisnewrain(m): 2:35pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hotshawarma:
every sane person passing through that road should be scared because as it is opened it can cause a major accident which could lead to death of many people but I do not expect dumb people to understand why he is scared
The lambogini of a guy is just wants to be noticed. The is a drainage. When covered, there used to be flood on the bridge so they decided to remove them for drainage purpose and those holes have been there since. If you live close to those bridges you would be hearing some scary sound when tyres entered. Like gbru gbru!
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Hotshawarma(m): 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2017
Jostico:

bc you're insane
thank your stars this is Internet and not offline....we would have used u as scapegoat
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by scarr: 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2017
Dem don steal all the man hole cover for Abuja finish

But at least there's a warning sign grin grin
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Kendroid: 3:04pm On Jul 10, 2017
you keep talking about holes on a main road, what about the holes you opened under some girl's legs huh?? undecided
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Bigsteveg(m): 3:23pm On Jul 10, 2017
GossipHeart:

Lagos State is a ghetto and the worst place on earth

Move to Abuja if you want to enjoy Nigeria

I will never go to that ruined state even if you put a gun to my head
Abeg shift, who is asking u to come

1 Like

Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by sam1990(m): 3:42pm On Jul 10, 2017
True talk gbam
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Bcbabe(f): 4:08pm On Jul 10, 2017
GossipHeart:

People ??

You can't steal manhole covers because they're heavily sealed

If it's that possible, every manhole cover in New York would be missing by now

The government ?? Is it the government's job to replace manholes ?? Smh
See kid talking.....comparing New york city {with sane folks} to Lagos where everyone is 6 out of 10 are probably insane and hungry............... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by sharpsharp: 4:42pm On Jul 10, 2017
tosin400:
Nigerian musician, Lamboginny, took to his Instagram page to raise alarm over the presence of Major holes on the Eko bridge in Lagos!

See below:

Source: http://www.flexygist.net/2017/07/10/singer-lamboginny-raises-alarm-over-major-holes-on-the-eko-bridge-in-lagos-photos/

You see it, you own it. He would have put a caution sign to alert other road users and then contact the right agency to fix it.
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by terry2k(m): 5:16pm On Jul 10, 2017
tobillionaire:
where does d hole lead to
the other room
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
[quote author=Jostico post=58312459]

sane people would look at insane things and address it without insult. sane people would never and I repeat would never bear hotshawarma because that's too lunatic. sane person knows that when a kid misbehave he only corrects them from doing such again. and sane person don't really and oftenly mention people on nairaland. only insane person does that .go get a life insane bro from a sane bro to make you sane.[/quote

Gbenu e soun]
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Jostico: 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hotshawarma:
thank your stars this is Internet and not offline....we would have used u as scapegoat

bc you're still insane. if you're man enough come around surulere and I'll give you address
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Nwabundo38(f): 7:49pm On Jul 10, 2017
Jostico:

sane people would look at insane things and address it without insult. sane people would never and I repeat would never bear hotshawarma because that's too lunatic. sane person knows that when a kid misbehave he only corrects them from doing such again. and sane person don't really and oftenly mention people on nairaland. only insane person does that .go get a life insane bro from a sane bro to make you sane.
Bro u killed that guy
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Hotshawarma(m): 7:50pm On Jul 10, 2017
Jostico:

bc you're still insane. if you're man enough come around surulere and I'll give you address
why not give me right now?? undecided
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Jostico: 7:53pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hotshawarma:
why not give me right now?? undecided
no 24 behind police station badiwa road
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Hotshawarma(m): 7:55pm On Jul 10, 2017
Jostico:

no 24 behind police station badiwa road
grin weyrey
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by Jostico: 7:56pm On Jul 10, 2017
Hotshawarma:
grin weyrey
lol
Re: Lamboginny Raises Alarm Over Major Holes On The Eko Bridge In Lagos (photos) by princeemmma(m): 8:17pm On Jul 10, 2017
tobillionaire:
where does d hole lead to
sambisa forest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yvonne Jegede At Bukky Ajayi's Grave With Fiance, Kunle / Jaywon Prostrates For Governor Yahaya Bello, Gets Blasted / Kcee Loses 1million Naira Bet Following Barcelona's Defeat To Liverpool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.