Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,049 members, 7,814,602 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Fashola Says Protest Against Move To Impeach Him Unnecessary - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Fashola Says Protest Against Move To Impeach Him Unnecessary (736 Views)

Nairalanders E-protest Against Child Marriage: Sign your Petition Here Guys! / Fashola Says No Shaking / Fashola Says No Shaking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Says Protest Against Move To Impeach Him Unnecessary by BigK: 10:15am On Feb 02, 2010
By Kemi Obasola, Mudiaga Affe, James Azania and Simon Utebor, Published: Tuesday, 2 Feb 2010

The Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN), on Monday said that the protest by some groups against attempts to impeach him from office was not necessary.

The governor made this declaration when he spoke with his supporters who had earlier protested in front of state House of Assembly calling on the lawmakers to discontinue moves to investigate the governor for alleged financial improprieties.

The protesters, under the aegis of ‘Movement for Good Governance’ and ‘Lovers of Raji Fashola Forum’, started their protest from Adebola House in Opebi and walked through two major streets before terminating their rally at the state House of Assembly where they made their grievances known to the Speaker of the House, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, who received them.

The state House of Assembly had on Thursday set up a six-man ad-hoc committee to investigate the allegations of financial recklessness levelled against the state government by a group, the True Face of Lagos. The allegations were published as an advertorial in The PUNCH last Thursday.

The committee was set up after a member representing Alimosho Constituency II, Mr. Onibiyo Adelabu, under Matters of Urgent Public Importance drew the attention of his colleagues to the advertorial and claimed that he had spoken with the advertisers.

When the protesters got to the State House, the President of LORAF, Dr. Abiodun Olugbenro, told the governor that, “We discovered that there are distractions. We went to the state House of Assembly to find out if the members want to conduct investigation.

“And we told them that they should start from themselves because the advertorial wrongly accused the state government and the House as well. They should set up an independent panel to conduct the investigation. We are here to tell you that we are behind you.‘

In his response, Fashola said any protest on moves to investigate any allegation of financial impropriety levelled against him would be unnecessary because the lawmakers were also concerned citizens of the state who would treat any matter that comes to them in the best interest of the state.

He said, “I left my home early this morning to make a broadcast to all of you. I did so because I am concerned about our common good. I am aware that some people are planning to use this peaceful rally to take advantage of your state. My obligation is to protect every one of you from havoc and nobody’s life is worth this office to me. I am therefore renewing my appeal to you that a rally in my support is not necessary.

“Our country is where it is today because for 50 years we have not successfully transferred power. This model is succeeding, but because there are no precedents, nowhere to turn to. We must learn new rules and we must translate them to all parts of the country.

“Members of the state House of Assembly were elected the same way you elected me. I assure you that they are as concerned and they will act in your best interest. Do not allow the fifth columnists to destroy what we have built.”

Earlier, Olugbenro said they were at the House of Assembly to hear from the Speaker what the issues were all about, adding that the allegations in the advertorial also pointed accusing fingers at the lawmakers.

Responding, the Speaker, Mr. Adeyemi Ikuforiji, said the House would conduct a public investigation into the issues raised in the advertorial, saying that members were interested in clearing the names of the lawmakers and that of Fashola from the allegations.

Ikuforiji said no external interference would be entertained during the course of investigations.

He added that the Assembly was constitutionally empowered to do its work. He told the protesters that the House had not commenced impeachment proceedings against the governor, adding “The Assembly is the only place to hear the truth about this matter. The House is working hard to defend the interest of Lagosians and to clear the names of the governor and the lawmakers.‘

“When the truth emerges, everybody will be happy,” he said.

The state Chairman of the Action Congress, Chief Henry Ajomale, who was also at the House of Assembly, said there was no move to impeach the governor, adding that both the executive and legislative arms of the state government were performing well to the admiration of Lagosians.

Meanwhile, a group, the Coalition Against Corrupt Leaders, has called on Lagos State government officials fingered in the allegations of corruption to defend themselves in the interest of the state.

The Executive Chairman of CACOL, Mr. Debo Adeniran, said during a press conference in Lagos on Monday that there should be no cover-ups.

CACOL, which has been active in a few high profile anti-graft cases, including the prosecution of former Delta State Governor James Ibori and the electoral tribunal case in Osun, also said in its statement, “A point of serious consideration is the fact that about 65 per cent of the fund involved in the alleged financial recklessness, mismanagement, gross constitutional violation and abuse of office is from the people’s tax.

“This fact reinforced the urgent need for accountability in governance. Whatever work done must be proportional to the amount of resources committed into it.

“The organisation has hitherto held the Lagos State in high esteem and would not want to jump into any conclusion on any allegation without availing those alleged the opportunity to defend themselves.

“We have waited patiently for official rebuttal of the allegation to be published by either of the alleged arms of the government with no result. Neither did the former governor, Asiwaju Ahmed Tinubu deny the allegation that he bribed each member of the House of Assembly to sweep the matter under the carpet.”

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20100202338365

Re: Fashola Says Protest Against Move To Impeach Him Unnecessary by Mannylex(m): 6:24pm On Feb 02, 2010
No matter wat u do or how hard u try,ppl re there to frustrate u. Let's see where this ends.

(1) (Reply)

How To Legally Get N1,000 Per Hour In Nigeria / Samson Siasia And Lars Legerback, Who Is Better? / Has Any Nigerian Ever Sold Any Thing On Ebay?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.