Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,203 members, 7,953,746 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:57 AM

UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal (20659 Views)

UI PG Students Create A Learning Hub For Researchers And Teachers / Schedule Of Clearance And Registration For 2016/2017 New Pg Students / Part Time PG Students Of OOU Ogun State Should Please Confirm This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by OgaBuhari: 9:57pm On Jul 20, 2017
ajbabs:

I could see that you are probably having some psychological problem. As young as I am in age, I have degrees from several institutions in Nigeria. If you could open your stinking mouth and called UI a glorified primary school in your comparison with UNIBEN, you are a problem.
open your gutter mouth and compare useless UI with the Great Uniben and watch Thunder penetrate that your brown roof zinc and strike you dead.

And you called yourself young?
Olodo I had my B.A while I was 19 and my M.A at 22. I should have proceeded for my PhD at 23 but was bereft of finances back then.

Now I'm 26 enrolling for law due to my enthusiasm and predilection for the profession.
So boy you can see that UI has been overhyped.
And as for you I'd suggest you go back and write jamb again.
Olodo Rabata
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by ensamy(m): 10:05pm On Jul 20, 2017
Its not peculiar to Uniben. I paid N80k to during my M.Sc defence in Unical for thesame reason. That when the university release the money meant for the external examiner we would get a refund.
Till today nothing.
So its a Nigerian wahala.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Okies27(m): 10:15pm On Jul 20, 2017
kellyboo:
*UNIVERSITY OF BENIN COUNCIL / MANAGEMENT PULLS OUT FROM TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT (TSA)*
The University of Benin Council/ Management pulls out from Treasury Single Account (TSA),
Opens an account with Unity Bank, Uniben Branch: Account title: Uniben Staff Retreat/ External Assessors, Account no: 0014419470. The aforementioned account is used to drain postgraduate students on or before completion of their program. The PG students are forced to pay #30000, #60000, and #90000 for PgD, MSc and PhD students respectively into the account all in the name of paying for External Examiners for project/oral defense, while the students through their departments are also mandated to pay External Examiners at the point of oral defense on the premise that the school cannot access the account domicile at unity Bank. Studying in UNIBEN and upon completion of your study, you are made to realize that you cannot get your result approved by the senate or do the relevant clearance after approval by senate to get your statement of result/ certificate until you pay the said amount. Our certificates are being kidnapped for a ransom fee of #30000, #60000 and #90000 for PgD, MSc and PhD students respectively. Fellow Nigerian students, are postgraduate students to pay for the retreat of staff in the university of Benin? Pls let's join hands together and help stop this corrupt practice in the institution.

EFCC, ICPC and other relevant financial institutions should conduct proper investigation on the issue to stop this corrupt act.

Read and share until it get to all relevant authorities.
I must say I've not recovered from the 60k I paid in this hard times.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Compliant(m): 10:30pm On Jul 20, 2017
University of Benin is a no go area for post graduate studies. If the sch fee is 200000 kindly budget 450000 , if it is a 18month course kindly be prepare to use 3 years.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Compliant(m): 10:43pm On Jul 20, 2017
hugoboss36:
...Brother,I wish I can do my PGD at Uniben....come 2 Unizik....their own is even glupping around 300k...

Pls bro don't pray to God to allow you do your PGD at Uniben else .......

The best university for post graduate studies is uni ilorin

2 Likes

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Compliant(m): 10:51pm On Jul 20, 2017
Sensations007:
University of Benin Pg school is running an extortion on its students. After they paid 45,000 naira as acceptance fees, 110,000 for school fees

Point of correction

These days they have develop other trick. After paying that 110000 they will make sure they slow the program by all means and you will end up paying another sch fee for the next session
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by MONITZ: 11:08pm On Jul 20, 2017
askjohnprosper:
guyman come Uniport. it is even worst here.here is from #50000. better thank Goodness

That it's 50k in Uniport compared to Uniben doesn't make it right. What is wrong is wrong ,nd must be condemned The most annoying thing in all is that these lecturers, professors inclusive enjoyed nd benefited from Nigeria when things were rosy and wouldn't accept a thing like this in their own time ,any little infraction from the school authorities or government then attracted an ALUTA,so y force what they wouldn't stomach in their own time on students now ..................
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Orezime11: 11:09pm On Jul 20, 2017
I have two friends who are through with their MSc program last year at Unilag and OAU respectively of which they didn't pay a penny for thesis defense. This Uniben is a very funny institution they think postgraduate students has lucrative money in their bank account hence they have planned to extort PG students through the thesis defense means. How are the mighty fallen! Uniben that used to be an epitome of excellence in the south south region has turn into a den of intellectual criminals. Academic staffs is declining and management staffs are surplus to requirement. I just can't look up to the elderly anymore because they have failed us. What happen to integrity, honesty, mentorship etc. I just hope Uniben management should call themselves into order and find a possible solution to this exorbitant charges.

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Correspondence(m): 11:28pm On Jul 20, 2017
kellyboo:
*UNIVERSITY OF BENIN COUNCIL / MANAGEMENT PULLS OUT FROM TREASURY SINGLE ACCOUNT (TSA)*
The University of Benin Council/ Management pulls out from Treasury Single Account (TSA),
Opens an account with Unity Bank, Uniben Branch: Account title: Uniben Staff Retreat/ External Assessors, Account no: 0014419470. The aforementioned account is used to drain postgraduate students on or before completion of their program. The PG students are forced to pay #30000, #60000, and #90000 for PgD, MSc and PhD students respectively into the account all in the name of paying for External Examiners for project/oral defense, while the students through their departments are also mandated to pay External Examiners at the point of oral defense on the premise that the school cannot access the account domicile at unity Bank. Studying in UNIBEN and upon completion of your study, you are made to realize that you cannot get your result approved by the senate or do the relevant clearance after approval by senate to get your statement of result/ certificate until you pay the said amount. Our certificates are being kidnapped for a ransom fee of #30000, #60000 and #90000 for PgD, MSc and PhD students respectively. Fellow Nigerian students, are postgraduate students to pay for the retreat of staff in the university of Benin? Pls let's join hands together and help stop this corrupt practice in the institution.

EFCC, ICPC and other relevant financial institutions should conduct proper investigation on the issue to stop this corrupt act.

Read and share until it get to all relevant authorities.

[/b][b][/b]

The [b]

Cause of High fees and extortion in PG schools: There is no post graduate students' body in Nigeria that can protect the interest of post graduate students.

Reason : Because we are not mobilised to start one.

The way out: Start a post graduate students' union government now.

How can we start:
1.Drop your whatapp number here on naira.land and write your present university where you do your post graduate studies. Send a whatapp message to 08022209087 to get started.
2.We will elect interim presidents in all universities in Nigeria in order to mobilise other students for proper election.
3. We will also have an interim national president that will represent us and fight our battle in Abuja while we do proper election and get a substantive national president.

Expected Outcome: When we mobilize ouselves and start a body, we would elect a national president that will sit one-on-one and discuss with the minister of education, and other stake holders in the country in order to protect the interest of post graduate students.

Who will start this process? I offer myself.

What you can do now: Register here by sending a whatapp message( Your name, the program you run,and the name of the university where you do your program) to this whatapp number 08022209087.

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by profike91: 11:46pm On Jul 20, 2017
If you stay in Port Harcourt and need a sound private tutor for this long holiday in the following subjects: Chemistry, physics, mathematics and Biology. Don't hesitate to contact 07033145280. Your success is a surebet.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by ajbabs(m): 7:04am On Jul 21, 2017
ensamy:

Its not peculiar to Uniben. I paid N80k to during my M.Sc defence in Unical for thesame reason. That when the university release the money meant for the external examiner we would get a refund.
Till today nothing.
So its a Nigerian wahala.
It will not happen in UI, OAU, UNILAG, UNILORIN and FUNAB. I can't say for FUTA .
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by asunmoGGMU(m): 7:06am On Jul 21, 2017
I went through the pages from 1 to 3. I must confess, the reports I read here are scary. Here, I am, in University of Ilorin criticizing the N5,000 I was asked to pay.

Some Departments collect N5,000 to cater for logistics such as stationeries for exams, external examiners, et al. Report has it that PG School (Unilorin) do not make provision of all these to them and there is no subvention for PG programmes from the govt, that I learnt has always been the tradition.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by salykely(m): 8:33am On Jul 21, 2017
A day before yesterday we heard the news that our Master Thesis won't be submitted for approval if we don't pay the obnoxious 60k. Many of my friends called me to ask for a helping hand. Meanwhile I had only 77k in my account meant for my drugs. I have no option than to part with it. I paid the sum into the designated notorious Unity Bank account inside school. After payment, I felt I had just paid some forms of Ransome to Evans. Honestly Uniben is blackmailing it's PG student. It very unfair. This set of people demanding for this money have visited other advanced institutions in the world, they know what the Ideal is,but greed and corruption won't ever allow them tow the part of rectitude. The funny thing is the way the school pride itself, holding inaugural lectures almost every month without realising the fact that same administrators are nothing but monsters and devils

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jul 21, 2017
salykely:
A day before yesterday we heard the news that our Master Thesis won't be submitted for approval if we don't pay the obnoxious 60k. Many of my friends called me to ask for a helping hand. Meanwhile I had only 77k in my account meant for my drugs. I have no option than to part with it. I paid the sum into the designated notorious Unity Bank account inside school. After payment, I felt I had just paid some forms of Ransome to Evans. Honestly Uniben is blackmailing it's PG student. It very unfair. This set of people demanding for this money have visited other advanced institutions in the world, they know what the Ideal is,but greed and corruption won't ever allow them tow the part of rectitude. The funny thing is the way the school pride itself, holding inaugural lectures almost every month without realising the fact that same administrators are nothing but monsters and devils
Please how much will it cost to run a master degree in engineering
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by salykely(m): 10:07pm On Jul 21, 2017
enwanfixit:
Please how much will it cost to run a master degree in engineering

I honestly can't say. But whatever u are told is official inducement. Once u get admission, u keep paying to wet greedy appetite, from 45k acceptance fee to the actual school fees of 120k. they will blackmail u into paying heavily. You will keep paying at whims of greedy regime with an appetite to corruptly amass wealth. They will wake up one day and ask you to pay as little as 2k, thereafter as much as 60k, as if they are experimenting the limit of our mumu and idiocy they then tell you that ur programme have dragged into another session that u must pay another school fees of about 120k. At the point of certificate collection, they would bring up another problem that can only be assuaged by money. No collection of Certificate without 45k minus other expenses. My dear, Nigerian Universities are Lunatic asylum, mad house.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by WOLTOP: 5:18am On Jul 22, 2017
The worst things that can happen to a nation is for the citizen to either not know their right or are afraid of victimization when they speak. If this can happen in an institution of learning where people are taught to stand up to their right and in that same place the students find it hard to kick against corrupt and indecent policies and plans coordinated by some kleptomaniac in suits then I see the ship o Nigeria heading towards a big iceberg with autolocked wheels, I see a land of educated street beggers, I see few overfed lions giving birth to sheeps hunted by large group of hungry lions, I see a group of conscientious stupid literates led by wealthy educated illiterates. Where you will be in the next few years can vividly be seen through the mirror of your dreams now. What do you think is the Nigerian dream "The VoicelessYouths".
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 22, 2017
salykely:

I honestly can't say. But whatever u are told is official inducement. Once u get admission, u keep paying to wet greedy appetite, from 45k acceptance fee to the actual school fees of 120k. they will blackmail u into paying heavily. You will keep paying at whims of greedy regime with an appetite to corruptly amass wealth. They will wake up one day and ask you to pay as little as 2k, thereafter as much as 60k, as if they are experimenting the limit of our mumu and idiocy they then tell you that ur programme have dragged into another session that u must pay another school fees of about 120k. At the point of certificate collection, they would bring up another problem that can only be assuaged by money. No collection of Certificate without 45k minus other expenses. My dear, Nigerian Universities are Lunatic asylum, mad house.
That means with 400k I am good to go
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 10:28pm On Jul 22, 2017
nams77:

Pls bro give me more info on unizik. Tnx
unizik is a nice school but... Everything they are saying here applies to unixiz. In our own time, over 100 students were admitted for MSc in our department. After five years not more than 15 have graduated from the department. No working PG calender. Inadequate PG hostel, your chance of getting a space in the hostel is not up to 5%. No PG lab for most science departments. The school is always flooded. You have course work and research work. course work takes one year, research work takes another year or more depending on several factors. Then the process of defending the research work takes another year. Research work mostly starts when you are done with course work. The stages in defending your research work is Proposal, departmental defence, faculty defence and external defence. It usually takes more than a year to go through these stages. In most cases students do proposal long after they have completed the research or after they have gone far into the work. How the programme runs will not be totally clear to you . The only time you will understand how the programme runs is when you come for clearance. That may be after so many years. PG school claims that things has improved not until you enter and find out for yourself. Three things are involved, it is either you are lucky, partially lucky or completely unlucky. If you are lucky, you graduate in time, maybe within two years. If you are partially lucky, you will gratute no matter how long it takes. If you are unlucky, you get frustrated and drop out. The longer you stay, the more school fees you pay. The longer you stay, the more frustrated you become. The way PG is ran in Unizik is bad but if you try another school, it may be WORST. I encourage you to go to unizik but make up your mind to accept whatever you see.

1 Like

Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by nams77: 10:36pm On Jul 22, 2017
iHart:
unizik is a nice school but... Everything they are saying here applies to unixiz. In our own time, over 100 students were admitted for MSc in our department. After five years not more than 15 have graduated from the department. No working PG calender. Inadequate PG hostel, your chance of getting a space in the hostel is not up to 5%. No PG lab for most science departments. The school is always flooded. You have course work and research work. course work takes one year, research work takes another year or more depending on several factors. Then the process of defending the research work takes another year. Research work mostly starts when you are done with course work. The stages in defending your research work is Proposal, departmental defence, faculty defence and external defence. It usually takes more than a year to go through these stages. In most cases students do proposal long after they have completed the research or after they have gone far into the work. How the programme runs will not be totally clear to you . The only time you will understand how the programme runs is when you come for clearance. That may be after so many years. PG school claims that things has improved not until you enter and find out for yourself. Three things are involved, it is either you are lucky, partially lucky or completely unlucky. If you are lucky, you graduate in time, maybe within two years. If you are partially lucky, you will gratute no matter how long it takes. If you are unlucky, you get frustrated and drop out. The longer you stay, the more school fees you pay. The longer you stay, the more frustrated you become. The way PG is ran in Unizik is bad but if you try another school, it may be WORST. I encourage you to go to unizik but make up your mind to accept whatever you see.
Na waoh o. Person go even do masters sef? With the way things are going. Bro this thing you said was it in the past or what is currently obtainable. I used to hear that unizik is always on time with its academic/school calendar. But I'm seeing things in a different light now. Thanks for your time
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 10:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
enwanfixit:
That means with 400k I am good to go
keep another 400k for research.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 10:45pm On Jul 22, 2017
nams77:

Na waoh o. Person go even do masters sef? With the way things are going. Bro this thing you said was it in the past or what is currently obtainable. I used to hear that unizik is always on time with its academic/school calendar. But I'm seeing things in a different light now. Thanks for your time
. What i said happened in the past where past is just few months ago. Unizik is on time on their calender only and only for undergraduate programmes, when it comes to PG you are on a very long thing. If you have passion for PG then go for it irrespective of what is happening in the system.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by nams77: 10:48pm On Jul 22, 2017
[quote author=iHart post=58734451]. Unizik is on time on their calender only and only for undergraduate programmes, when it comes to PG you are on a very long thing. If you have passion for PG then go for it irrespective of what is happening in the system. [/quote
Let me settle for uniben or the very expensive Delta state university. I'm based in warri]
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 10:56pm On Jul 22, 2017
[quote author=nams77 post=58734574][/quote] MSc in a state uni? why not UI?
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by nams77: 11:08pm On Jul 22, 2017
iHart:
MSc in a state uni? why not UI?
UI as in university of Ibadan? Won't that be too far? I'm open to suggestions all the same
Do you have info on Ui. I need to get it started next yr. Wifey has done hers almost 4yrs ago. Family mata no let man see road grin but by God's grace, I will start next yr. Thanks for your time
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 5:55am On Jul 23, 2017
nams77:

UI as in university of Ibadan? Won't that be too far? I'm open to suggestions all the same
Do you have info on Ui. I need to get it started next yr. Wifey has done hers almost 4yrs ago. Family mata no let man see road grin but by God's grace, I will start next yr. Thanks for your time
their form for 17/18 sessio ends this tuesday. You will have to choose between distance and delay. I opted for unizik over UI because of distance but the almighty hammer of delay landed on my head. From now till next year make enquiries well and make a better choice. What course are you going for?
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by nams77: 7:05am On Jul 23, 2017
iHart:
their form for 17/18 sessio ends this tuesday. You will have to choose between distance and delay. I opted for unizik over UI because of distance but the almighty hammer of delay landed on my head. From now till next year make enquiries well and make a better choice. What course are you going for?
OK. Thanks very much. What's the fees like? That will be another huge determinant. I'm looking at Environmental Quality Mgt, that's if I am gunning for uniben. But truth be told, with all these exorbitant rates, you sure say no be business sure pass so! I am been tempted to rather go into business, pending when I become dangote,. Then I can conveniently stroll into a uni and do the thing
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by hugoboss36(m): 7:06am On Jul 23, 2017
nams77:

Are you serious! And I was thinking of running there. Bros hint me more pls
go do ur own research..
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by nams77: 7:49am On Jul 23, 2017
hugoboss36:
go do ur own research..
Smh
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by iHart(m): 9:49am On Jul 23, 2017
nams77:

OK. Thanks very much. What's the fees like? That will be another huge determinant. I'm looking at Environmental Quality Mgt, that's if I am gunning for uniben. But truth be told, with all these exorbitant rates, you sure say no be business sure pass so! I am been tempted to rather go into business, pending when I become dangote,. Then I can conveniently stroll into a uni and do the thing
If its not professional MSc, the PhD and MSc forms are 13k + fees for english proficiency test for MSC. I don't know what the school fees is like. Whatever it is, it worths it. It may be a wrong reason to go for MSc because you have nothing doing. Go for it because of your passion for knowledge and PG, promotion in work place or desire for a lecturing job. Have a good driving force for it. A force that will push you to complete it and let it not be because you have nothing doing now.
Re: UNIBEN PG Students' Ordeal by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2017
nams77:

What of Unn is it good for postgraduate?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNILAG Releases 2011/2012 Foundation & POST UME Merit Cut-off List And Results / Adenowo Emmanuel Oreoluwa Expelled By Ajayi Crowther University Over Indian Hemp / The Deplorable Condition Of Primary School In Kogi (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.