Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,142 members, 7,821,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:07 PM

Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? (1132 Views)

George Floyd: Sport Stars Pay Tribute, Condemn Treatment Of Blacks / Hat-trick, Power, Speed: How Ahmed Musa Got His First Club Goal For Al Nassr / Football (+other Sports) Betting Season 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 16, 2017
Blacks all across the world dominate sports like boxing, sprinting, basketball, sports, weightlifting that leans more towards physique, power and speed than other races. But we don't enjoy such level of success in other sports that involves skills like flair, teamwork, techniques, sports like swimming, football, tennis etc?

Could it be as a result of the black society culture, the black gene or what could be the reason?

Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by humblenature: 2:09pm On Jul 16, 2017
VENEZUELA.. .. "u get mind?...

METROPOLITANOS VS ATHLETIC VENEZUELA 1X UNDER 1.5 ODDS ..... 7 ODDS
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by ignosi: 2:11pm On Jul 16, 2017
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by colossus91(m): 2:12pm On Jul 16, 2017
eh eh eh!,
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by tgmservice: 3:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
LastMumu:
Blacks all across the world dominate sports like boxing, sprinting, basketball, sports, weightlifting that leans more towards physique, power and speed than other races. But we don't enjoy such level of success in other sports that involves skills like flair, teamwork, techniques, sports like swimming, football, tennis etc?

Could it be as a result of the black society culture, the black gene or what could be the reason?
i think u r looking at this from an american point of view, basketball is a very cheap sport to play in america ghettos and the african americans train very well at it.

have u asked urself this question will an all black nigeria team beat an all white european team in basketball no of course.
so this to me has nothin to do with genetics
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by EZEIGBO1OFIMO: 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2017
cc exciton
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 16, 2017
tgmservice:
i think u r looking at this from an american point of view, basketball is a very cheap sport to play in america ghettos and the african americans train very well at it.

have u asked urself this question will an all black nigeria team beat an all white european team in basketball no of course.
so this to me has nothin to do with genetics

Naaah bro, I'm not looking at it from an American point of view neither do I think an all black Nigerian team can defeat an all white european team. The crux of this thread isn't about why Blacks are better than other races at a particular sport, it is about why we seem to enjoy success in sports that are power or speed inclined but we flop at other sports than do not necessarily need these skills. Why do we have very few black swimmers, golfers, tennis players, gymnast but have so many successful black boxers, sprinters etc?

I think I agree with your point that these sports are relatively cheap to train for, hence why blacks (majority of which are poor) find them more appealing to go for.
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by millhouse: 6:27pm On Jul 16, 2017
Oga mention one sport u wount see a black thriving and I will mention 10 whites don't excel even if they have d same opportunity
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by Nobody: 6:44pm On Jul 16, 2017
millhouse:
Oga mention one sport u wount see a black thriving and I will mention 10 whites don't excel even if they have d same opportunity

Swimming?

Although you still do not seem to get my point.
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by hardeycute(m): 8:24pm On Jul 16, 2017
Baba we lack the technicality of the respective sport.

We lack grassroots development.

We lack administration to develop and hunt for talent.

We lack in the area of School sport development.

We lack common sense .

Majority of us engage in sport because of unemployment and for survival which should not be but of passion
Re: Why Do Blacks Succeed In Power/speed Sports but Less In Other sports? by Exciton(m): 12:54am On Jul 17, 2017
EZEIGBO1OFIMO:
cc exciton

Hehe. Of course I fully disagree with OP grin

Boxing is far from strength only. Boxing requires just as much technique as strength. Decision making is also key. There's technique to punching and movement requires great technique. Ali's movement is the ultimate example.

Basketball surely involves a huge amount of teamwork, technique and flair comparable to football that OP placed at the other end of the spectrum. Just as with boxing, no need to mention any teams or players. It's dominated by blacks. I'm sure it has to do more with culture than genes.

Football? Pele, the GOAT, is as black as it gets. Abedi Pele. More than half of every Brazilian squad ever. The Nigerian Atalanta 96' Olympics winning squad. Heck, loads of Nigerian youth squads. And I took care to mention players/teams that relied more on technique/teamwork than their strength.

That we (Nigeria) don't currently do well in football has more to do with organization, poor teaching/training facilities and corruption.

Other sports? Simone Biles - an artistic gymnast. 4 time Olympic gold medalist. Most decorated American gymnast ever. Gymnastics is a prime example of a sport that requires HUGE HUGE technique.

Tennis -- Venus Williams. Serena is more strength than technique but anyone who has watched Venus Williams play knows that she has arguably the best technique in female tennis.

The reason why there aren't many blacks in tennis is the same reason as to why there aren't in swimming, golf, rugby, cricket, winter sports etc. It's cultural. Absolutely nothing to do with genes, creativity, technique, skill etc.

Finally, a counterexample to blacks in weightlifting is this strongest man ever sport. It's fully dominated by Caucasians. So, it isn't genes. It's cultural. Some prefer a certain kind of sport to another.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo VS Neymar / Jose Mourinho Drops Strong Hint Over Man.u Future Of Zlatan Ibrahimovic / Nigeria's D'tigers Gets New Coach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.