Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,646 members, 7,823,831 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:14 PM

Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. (23337 Views)

Alake Is A Junior King In Yorubaland – Awujale / Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by fstranger3(m): 9:45pm On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

But do you believe that "Edo colonized Yorubaland"?

Yes, I do

The brought civilization to the SW and they taught me how to tamba, now what you going to do?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:56pm On Feb 15, 2011
ezeagu:

But do you believe that "Edo colonized Yorubaland"?

Oyo is not included in any supposed "colonization" of Yorubaland, and it was the largest part of Yorubaland.

I could post specific quotes from Biobaku's Sources of Yoruba History which go into detail about the apparent Edo influence and origin of many of the smaller non-Oyo, non-Ife, Yoruba city-states, but it would be a lot of typing. I might post a few parts, but I don't really share the OP's zeal for this "Edo colonized Yorubaland" idea.

As for Edo colonizing Yorubaland, I doubt it because the use of "colonization" implies a kind of relationship which I don't think Benin actually had with most of the groups or city-states whose institutions they influenced or originated. It was more loose than that, I think.

My view with regard to the Edos and Yorubaland is that the acknowledgment of the religious supremacy of Ife is what kept Oyo and Benin from really clashing all those years, but the Alaafin of Oyo was certainly not the vassal of the Oni of Ife and the Oba of Benin was certainly not the vassal of the Oni of Ife. In the same manner, neither the Oni of Ife nor the Alaafin of Oyo were the vassals of the Oba of Benin, so how can one say Edo colonized Yorubaland when it never subjugated or attempted to subjugate the two most important states of Yorubaland?

In 1863, Benin did seem to clearly feel that at one time long ago they had bequeathed "civilization" on the Yorubas, but of course that view got suppressed and overridden by the Johnson-Talbot-Egharevba construction of the Yoruba-Edo relationship. Whichever version of origins is true, I think "colonization" is not what happened between either group upon the other.

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by excanny: 9:57pm On Feb 15, 2011
fstranger3:

Yes, I do

The brought civilization to the SW and they taught me how to tamba, now what you going to do?

Ask you if you to tell us the year Oduduwa fell off from the skies. grin
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Odunharry(m): 5:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
today we bear british names cs they colonise us and we also speak their language.ds british dnt speak our language and dey dnt bear our names.
Senegaleese speak french and dey do bear french names.
portugueese colonise brazil.brazil bears their name and can speak portugueese.
If the benin as many of u are sayn truly colonise d yorubas,hw come they do bear yoruba names and most of them speaks yoruba.y is tht a yoruba dnt bear their names and they dnt speak benin?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by PhysicsMHD(m): 7:17pm On Feb 16, 2011
Odunharry:

today we bear british names cs they colonise us and we also speak their language.ds british dnt speak our language and dey dnt bear our names.
If the benin as many of u are sayn truly colonise d yorubas,hw come they do bear yoruba names and most of them speaks yoruba.y is tht a yoruba dnt bear their names and they dnt speak benin?

Not that I'm an advocate of this "Edo colonized Yorubaland" thing, but I should point out that no group that was ever under Benin influence came to speak Bini. Yet we know that at some point some groups were under Benin. I also think that this idea of formal colonization, like that which occurred in modern times, is completely the wrong word in the context of this discussion, so places where one group paid tribute to or acknowledged one other group's influence or representatives doesn't necessitate that the language be taught or spread there.

As for names, what are these Yoruba names and what is the Yoruba that they speak in Benin? Just asking.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by bokohalal(m): 7:30pm On Feb 16, 2011

The above question absolutely shows that you are not a student of history, kaka! While not saying that the Edo/bini conquered the Yorubas or vice versa,suffice it is to say that there are many examples in history where the conquerors took on the culture of the conquered. The Romans and the Greeks is a very common example. Even here at home, the settled Fulanis who humbled the Hausa states have taken the totality of the vanquished way of life,language and all.
The English language has more foreign words,even African, than anglo saxon,not necessarily due to conquests by others but by proximity,trade,foreign travel/adventure, diplomacy and cultural trends.
And for your information, the Edo/binis  DO NOT speak Yoruba unless those that have come in contact with Yorubas or live amongst them. Just as Yorubas in Edoland speak the native language.

1 Like

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by bokohalal(m): 7:40pm On Feb 16, 2011

The above question absolutely shows that you are not a student of history, kaka! While not saying that the Edo/bini conquered the Yorubas or vice versa,suffice it is to say that there are many examples in history where the conquerors took on the culture of the conquered. The Romans and the Greeks is a very common example. Even here at home, the settled Fulanis who humbled the Hausa states have taken the totality of the vanquished way of life,language and all.
The English language has more foreign words,even African, than anglo saxon,not necessarily due to conquests by others but by proximity,trade,foreign travel/adventure, diplomacy and cultural trends.
And for your information, the Edo/binis  DO NOT speak Yoruba unless those that have come in contact with Yorubas or live amongst them. Just as Yorubas in Edoland speak the native language. And as for the Yoruba names, those that worship Osun, Orunmilla,Ogun and other Yoruba gods are most likely to bear Yoruba names.Interestingly, there is no Bini Olokun worshipper that bear Yoruba names. Which goes to show that Olokun is an indigenous God that influenced some Yorubas.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:03pm On Feb 16, 2011
bokohalal:

And for your information, the Edo/binis  DO NOT speak Yoruba unless those that have come in contact with Yorubas or live amongst them. Just as Yorubas in Edoland speak the native language. And as for the Yoruba names, those that worship Osun, Orunmilla,Ogun and other Yoruba gods are most likely to bear Yoruba names.Interestingly, there is no Bini Olokun worshipper that bears Yoruba names. Which goes to show that Olokun is an indigenous God that influenced some Yorubas.

The Osun of Benin is very different from the Osun of Yoruba religion. The Osun of the Yorubas is a river/sea goddess and a goddess of fertility.

The Osun of Benin was a specific magic and medical cult and the deity was a male god associated with birds that was worshiped by herbalists.

Ogun is the same for Benin and Yorubas, and probably derives from the introduction of Yoruba orunmila/ifa divination to Benin in the 17th century (according to Paula Ben-Amos in The art of power, the power of art : studies in Benin iconography).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by uwagboeogi: 10:42am On Feb 28, 2011
The Oduduwa Controversy

By Naiwu Osahon
http://otedo.com/

A lot of dust was raised in the press in 2004 over the Oduduwa issue. The controversies on Oduduwa are finally put to rest in this write-up. All students of history must carefully preserve this historical record as a
reference point. Oduduwa is Prince Ekaladerhan of Bini and he entered Yoruba
life about 900 years ago and that is categorical and final. The Yoruba/Edo
collaborative evidence follow. The first most telling revelation about
Oduduwa’s ancestry is from Oduduwa himself. He, in his lifetime, reserved a
special seat in his Ife palace for his ancestors. The seat remains
reserved until this day for the Bini monarch only. No one else, not even
the reigning Ooni, or Oronmiyan (Alaafin) in Oyo, or any of the Obalades of
Yorubaland can sit on the seat. So, if Bini is not the wellspring of Ife,
why is it that no member of the Alaafin, or Ife Ooni dynasties (or siblings),
can use the seat?

Besides, the most sacred name for Ife is ‘Uhe’ a (non-Yoruba) , deep and strong Bini word, meaning virgin or vagina depending on how it is pronounced, and is interpreted in myth as ‘innocence,’ ‘the birth canal,’ or ‘the source of
life.’ Also, no major Ifa ritual or ceremony in Ife even now is
considered authentic, blessed by or acceptable to the gods and ancestors,
without the presence and involvement of relevant Bini traditional faith
custodians. The dress culture of Ife chiefs and priests is from Bini
court.

Professor Ade Ajayi’s comment that the Bini are trying to re-write history and that the motivation for this is political is ridiculous to say the least, unless professors are not supposed to have some responsibility for truth and
scholarship. Ajayi’s comment influenced less-informed commentators who accused
the Oba of Bini of possible political bias at the age of 80, in an interview
published in The News of 28 June 2004. The age of the Bini monarch
bellies the silly accusation. No Bini historian, including Omo N’oba
Erediauwa has said that a rebel king migrated from Benin to father Oduduwa in
Ile-Ife. The Yoruba historians peddling this falsehood should take time
off to read this specially packaged report on Oduduwa because it puts the
Oduduwa controversy to rest once and for all.

Perhaps the most childish comment on the Oduduwa issue so far was the one in an article published in the Sunday Sun of June 27, 2004. The writer is upset over the antics of Bini prostitutes in Italy but ignores the Yoruba
credit card schemers, painting the USA and Europe red with their notoriety? He
says and I quote: “The Bini position on Oduduwa is motivated by imperial
politics, a dose of envy and irrepressible ego. It is part of an agenda
to hijack the enviable fame of Yoruba dynasty and superimpose it on the subdued
ego of the Bini people who have lost the glory of their once powerful Bini
Empire to the greater might of the British colonial masters.”

I was expecting the writer to say ‘Yoruba masters’ instead of ‘British masters’ in his erroneous statement. As far as I know, there is no record of the Yoruba ever once conquering or colonizing even an inch of
Biniland. Rather, the Bini colonized, dominated and enslaved large tracks
of Yorubaland and people until British colonialism liberated the Yoruba, so who
should be envying who? Besides, the Yoruba were colonized along side the
Bini and we all gained our ‘flag’ independence from the British on the same
day, which was the 1st of October 1960. Black collective
plight as the most wretched people in the world has not changed since ‘flag’
independence, so what is there in the Yoruba to make the Bini or anyone
jealous? The writer is proud that there are Yoruba enclaves in Brazil and
so on. But they got there as slaves and they are still slaves, (second-class
citizens), in the Diaspora right now. The Bini were never enslaved, (the
Bini kept hordes of Yoruba and other slaves from their conquests and shielded
them from the slave trade), so you would not find slave colonies of the native
Bini extraction anywhere in the Diaspora. What greater honour could
anyone have than that?

No Yoruba commentator or expert so far has provided concrete evidence or credible story on Oduduwa. Some that have attempted to do so, have quoted spurious speculations from racist, paternalistic and condescending British
historians like Basil Davidson, because that was what they passed their exams
on. Prof. Siyan Oyeweso of the LASU History Department, goes further to swear
by some 1950s – 60s researchers, such as Philip Igbafe, R. E. Bradbury, Alan
Ryder and G.A. Akinola, who quoted profusely from each other, and largely
relied on the ‘white god’ Davidson’s story for authenticity. What right
do we have to expect these ‘experts’ to transcend the infantile bias of their
day that Oduduwa was God incarnate, who as the Yoruba progenitor, descended
with a rope from the sky? Could the historians have said Oduduwa was not
God at a time of Yoruba political dominance in the region? Could they
have set off on a limb and expect their books to be recommended reading by the
West African Examination Council (WAEC)?

The overwhelming counter argument by the Yoruba so far, weighs heavily on why the Bini have only just come out now with their Oduduwa story? It is wrong for anyone to claim that the Edo origin of Oduduwa story is a recent
creation. Prof Siyan Oyeweso even tried to put a 1971 date on when Edo
people invented the Oduduwa story. He provides no evidence of his assertion
other than that we should take his words for it because he is a
professor. And if he were allowed to get away with his blatant distortion
of history, it would become the history that students pass their exams
on. That is how the Davidsons and Bradburys became the authorities on
African history.

I have discovered serious laxity on the part of some of our supposed African professors. They accept any rubbish put out by the dishonest, ill-informed Basil Davidsons of the white world as the gospel truth requiring
no further investigation. No black intellectual outside Africa today
relies on racist whites as sources of knowledge about themselves because such
whites lie about the African contributions. They claim that we were
nothing until slavery. That we were worse than wild animals before they
intervened in our lives and that we are still less than animals now.

Racists whites do not want us challenging their lies and upsetting the applecart. But the greatest thing about truth is that until it triumphs, it allows lie no peace. It does not matter when the truth comes out?
If a researcher comes out with the true identity of God today (as I have now
done in this book), billions of years into the creation story, does that make
the truth less true? The world continues to stumble on new ‘truths’
everyday because original researchers did not have the accumulated knowledge
and tools now available to modern research work.

Ovbia Oba Edun Agharese Akenzua, in his book: Ekaladerhan, tells us that while the Oba of Benin was visiting Ife on November 11, 1982, the Ooni said in part……”As we have mentioned briefly during our historic visit to
your domain not too long ago, we said that we were there to pat you on the back
for a job well done. Your present visit we regard as a short homecoming,
where you will have an opportunity to commune with those deities you left
behind. Now my son and brother, long may you reign.” “The
address suggested that the people of Benin, or at least, the Royal Family, owe
their origin to Ile-Ife. In the prelude of his response to the Ooni’s welcome
address, the Oba of Benin tacitly rebutted the submission.” “The Oba said:
If the Ooni of Ife calls the Oba of Benin his son and the Oba of Benin calls
the Ooni of Ife his son, they are both right.” “The Oba did not
elaborate, but in the womb of that innocuous assertion is the fetus of a story,
which had never been told in full. In both Benin and Uhe, the story is
told with varying details.”

Six years ago, I sent the Edo story on Oduduwa to Adeniji, the Arts Editor of ThisDay newspaper at the time. I phoned and he said I should send it but he never used the story. I understand that the Daily Independent of
Friday May 14, 2004, published a version of the article in my name with my
original title. I have not read it but I suspect it is the same article I
sent to ThisDay two years earlier that the Daily Independent newspaper
published when the controversy was raging. Whatever it is, am I to blame
for the story not being used earlier? I don’t own a newspaper or
magazine. I can only try and reach out through facilitators, hoping that
they and everyone else would be interested in the unraveling of truth.

Edo historians have written volumes on the Oduduwa story. My parents told me the story in my early teens. They too were told the story in their teens as are every Edo child regardless of what they are taught at school
for WAEC exams. I wrote about it in the Sunday Guardian and the Post
Express some twelve to fifteen years ago. Five years back, I put the
story all over the Internet, and a few years earlier I produced a book on
Oduduwa in my Obobo book series for children. Four years ago, I did a
four-part series on Edo history in my Daily Sun’s weekly column, which was lost
on the public until the Oba of Bini’s book reviews woke up our pseudo
authorities on Oduduwa. The Yoruba professors who put a workshop together on
Oduduwa history at the EKO FM Multi-purpose Hall in Lagos on Thursday October
7, 2004, were not aware that my write-up preceded the Edo monarch’s book
reviews, and yet they pretend to be knowledgeable on what is written and when
about Oduduwa. So, there is a time, place and opportunity for
everything.

Prof Isola Olomola of the OAU’s History Dept. claims that Oduduwa could not have been a Benin man. Olomola would not accept such history anyway and his reason is very simple indeed, Olomola is a professor and a Yoruba. He
puts no argument forward to buttress his position; instead, he allows his
tribal pride to becloud his better judgment. That is not scholarship but
an attempt to write history by ‘ugboju’ or terror tactics. Prof.
Siyan Oyeweso beats his chest that Oduduwa is not Ekaladerhan and that Oduduwa
dropped from the sky. The works of such professors litter library shelves
around our country, distorting our history and keeping us ill
informed. To move forward on the Oduduwa issue, Yoruba historians
must let go on their two fallacious preoccupations: (a) that Oduduwa dropped
from the sky at the beginning of time, and (b) that Oduduwa was the Yoruba
progenitor. The Bini do not claim to be the Yoruba progenitors and as
Prof. Isola Olomola suggested at the October 7, 2004, workshop on Oduduwa,
skeletal remains of a stone-age man has been found at Iwo Eleru, near Isarun in
Ondo state, with similar sites also discovered in Ife, Owo, and Asejire.
Dating of the sites may need more vigorous investigation and coupled with the
facilities of an open mind, we could begin to move forward on the Oduduwa
issue. This is what this article on Oduduwa tries to do by asking
questions and providing available knowledge in a systematic, comprehensive, and
simplified way, to solve the controversy and carry even non-scholars
along. My most potent weapon in this regard, is the unraveling of the
date of the Oduduwa experience.

When did Oduduwa reign in Ife?

If we can establish the date and time of Oduduwa’s interregnum in Ife, most of the mysteries about who he was would be laid to rest. I have solved the problem of date in this article to finally put the Oduduwa controversy to
rest. The Yoruba do not know the time of his reign in Ife beyond the
speculation that his name was synonymous with Ifa, and that the Ifa divinity
was there from the beginning of time. In other words that Oduduwa is as
old as time itself. The idea that he was here at the beginning of time is
too vague for serious minded people to consider.

The Universe is some 10 to 20 billion years old and the Earth 4.6 billion years. Humans are the late comers on Earth and have evolved over a period of 13 million years albeit as members of the chimpanzee family. We only
started looking as we do now (i.e. Homo sapiens) 50,000 to 100,000 years
ago. 15,000 years ago to be specific, the human race was still very
primitive. The stirring of civilization started in earnest from Black
Egypt less than 10,000 years ago. All races of the world originated from
the African (Black), and moved to occupy the rest of the earth from Africa.
Even when original African settlers all over the world had begun to change in
skin colour due to climatic differences and had forgotten their African
origins, new waves of Africans continued to invade their old colonies to assert
their authority and teach new knowledge. From the Osirian reign in Egypt
in 4100 BCE, Africans began to teach the rest of mankind farming,
industrialization, commerce, and how to organize cities and nation states,
while the African religion, the Mystery System, (which is the mother of all the
religions of the world), began its uninterrupted supremacy until about 2000
years ago.

Africans from Egypt colonized Mesopotamia and Elam in 4000 BCE to teach the rudiments of civilization and introduce African religion (spirituality) , which with emphasis on Nimrod, carved from the image of Ausar (Osiris), went through
several phases to become Zoroastrianism. The African religion also gave
birth to the Islamic religion in Persia, 1000 years before the birth of
Muhammad. The Dravidians from Ethiopia took Hinduism to India in 3200
BCE. In 1640 BCE, 70 Hebrews entered Egypt but some 3,154,000 African-Hebrews
left Egypt in 1230 BCE, under the leadership of the African prince called
Moses. Moses trained in the Mystery System as a prince for 40 years and
adapted its laws for his followers. Arabs are a hybrid of Africans and
Caucasians. Muhammad was born in 570 CE and he adopted the Babylonian
(African) religion that was already 1000 years old from Persia during his time.

The reverse dispassion of blacks from the Nile Valley began seriously as a result of the over population of the Valley, then as a consequence of social upheavals, and finally due to Persian 525 BCE, Greek 332 BCE, and Roman 55 BCE
invasions of the black race Egypt. The civilizations that emerged from
the Egyptian disturbances in the West African sub-region, not in any special
order, where Ghana, Chad, Mali, Benin and Songhai, with some dating back to
1500 BCE, at least.

The Bini so far trace their history to perhaps hundreds or thousands of years before 40 BCE when they where called Idu and to 40 BCE specifically, when the Ogiso dynasty began. Thirty-one Ogisos ruled Idu (called Igodomigodo)
, between 40 BCE and about 1200 CE. The first Ogiso (king) was called
Ogiso Igodo and his capital was at Ugbekun. Ogiso Igodo’s successor,
Ogiso Ere, transferred the capital from Ugbekun to Uhudumwunirin. The
last of the Ogiso kings was called Owodo. He reigned in the early 11th
century CE and had only one child, a son, despite having many wives. That
child, Ekaladerhan, is Oduduwa. All Oduduwa’s telltale links with Edo are still
there open to investigation. The non-mortal aura of Edo God-son kings
since 40 BCE. The sacrosanct first son succeeding father traditional law.
The, around 1200 CE, Ogiso succession problems because heir apparent,
Ekhaladerha, escaped to Yorubaland. The emergence of Ogieamie chiefdom to sell
Edo land at every coronation to Edo Oba elect since 1200 CE. By the above
account, Bini historians are saying that Oduduwa’s reign in Ife ended around
1200 CE. Yoruba historians confirm that Oduduwa’s first child and son was
Oronmiyan and that Oronmiyan was the first Alaafin of Oyo. Yoruba historians
deliberately avoid discussing the date Oronmiyan ascended the Alaafin throne
obviously because that would destroy their myth about when Oduduwa intervened
in their lives.

The Bini say the Alaafin’s dynasty in Oyo began around 1200 CE. Oronmiyan was in Igodomigodo in 1170 CE, and it was after his sojourn in Igodomigodo that he set up his Oyo dynasty. This date is not difficult
for Yoruba historians to verify and if it is true, Oduduwa was alive during his
son’s sojourn in Igodomigodo and also when the Oyo dynasty came into being.
Therefore, the Ife stool could not have become vacant until about 1200
CE. This is not really debatable because Yoruba historians confirm that
37 Oonis reigned in Ife before Akinmoyero in (1770-1800), and that 13 more have
reigned since. This enables us to prove the 1200 CE date
mathematically. If from 1800 CE to 2004 CE (i.e. a period of 204 years),
produced 13 Oonis on the average, how many Oonis could have reigned from 1200
CE to 1800 CE (i.e. a period of 600 years)? The answer is 38 Oonis.

The Ife history of the Ooni dynasty confirms 38 Oonis, including Akinmoyero (1770 – 1800). Here are their names in the ascending order of the period of their reign: Ogun, Osangangan, Obamakin, Ogbogbodirin, Obalufon, Oronmiyan,
Ayetise, Lajamisan, Lajodogun, Lafogido, Odidimode Regbesin, Aworokolokun,
Ekun, Ajimuda, Gboo-Nijio, Okinlajosin, Adegbalu, Osinkola, Ogbooru, Giesi,
Luwoo (female), Lumobi, Agbedegbede, Ojee-Lokunbirin, Lagunja, Larunka,
Ademilu, Omogbogbo, Ajila-Oorun, Adejinle, Olojo, Okiti, Lugbade, Aribiwoso,
Osinlade, Adagba, Ojigidiri (Lumbua), Akinmoyero (1770 – 1800), Gbanlare (1800
–1823), Gbegbaaja (1823 –1835), Wunmonije (1835 –1839), Adegunle Abewelo (1839
–1849), Degbinsokun (1849 – 1878), Oranyigba (1878 – 1880), Derin Ologbenla
(1880 –1894), Adelekan Olubuse I (1894 –1910), Adekola (1910), Ademiluyi Ajagun
(1910 –1930), Adesoji Aderemi (1930 – 1970), and the current Ooni Okunade
Sijuwade Olubuse II, whose reign dates from 1980. Obviously, Oronmiyan,
the first child and son of Oduduwa, did not inherit his father’s throne, which
is the genesis of the quarrel between the true Oduduwa’s heirs and the Ooni’s
dynasty.

Oduduwa’s eight children (as claimed by Yoruba historians), are known as the Obalades or crowned chiefs of Yorubaland. The argument is that not all Yoruba Obas have genuine crowns; only the Obalades are the exception and
consist of the Alaafin of Oyo, the Oregun of Ile Ila, the Alake of Egbaland,
the Owaoboku of Ijeshaland, the Alaketu of Ketu, the Owa of Ilesa and two Obas
in the Republic of Benin as follows: the Onipopo of Popo and the Onisabe of
Sabe. What this means in effect is that Yoruba civilization did not start
in earnest until the reign of Oduduwa and his sons. All leading Yoruba
historians agree on this.

In fact, we know that it was from early twelfth century that Ife grew into a large city surrounded by walls, inhabited mostly by farmers and some skilled craftsmen who created great works of arts respected around the
world today. The famous Ife bronze, terracotta works, statues in baked
clay, some representing the Ooni dressed in full regalia, are among the world’s
greatest works of art. Some of the terracotta were so large and complex,
it is impossible to bake them today even with modern technology. All
these date back to the eleventh century CE.

Because Ogun, the first Ooni after the demise of Oduduwa, was not Oduduwa’s child, he was not considered an Obalade by Yoruba tradition and elite. Ogun was a chief with spiritual responsibilities. He usurped the Ife
throne because the true heirs to the throne were busy else where at the time of
their father’s death. Ogun out maneuvered the children of Oduduwa over the Ife
throne with his superior knowledge of the inner working of the Ooni’s palace,
and his spiritual prowess as the head of the Ogun shrine. Oduduwa’s true
heirs have been smarting over this ever since.

Chief Obafemi Awolowo, the Premier of the Western Region of Nigeria in the early sixties, strengthened the hands of the Oonis, and facilitated their prominence in Yorubaland by appointing Oba Adesoji Aderemi, the Ooni of Ife at
the time, as the first Governor of the now defunct Western Region of Nigeria.
Oba Adesoji Aderemi’s ascendance was consolidated with his Chairmanship of the
Western Region’s Council of Obas that at the time entrapped the Edo Oba.
With such immense political power of his own, and the political influence and
authority of Awolowo as the leader of the Yoruba, no one could raise a finger
against the supposed illegitimacy of the Ooni’s dynasty in Yorubaland.
The Bini, of course, were worst hit as a voiceless minority in Awolowo’s Western
Region’s politics of tribal exclusion and domination.

The Oduduwa lineage tried to fight back by identifying with the NPN in opposition to the UPN. Awolowo accentuated the schism by promoting the emergence of Bode Thomas, a young and dynamic lawyer from Oyo. Bode, with
Awolowo’s clout, wielded considerable political power in Oyo to the point of
being rude to the Alaafin, who was alleged to have put a curse on him.
Bode became mad to the chagrin of Awolowo, who promptly banished the Alaafin from
his Oyo throne. Just as the Oduduwa’s legitimate heirs and the Yoruba elite
generally, have always known and concealed the quarrel over the Ife throne, the
Bini have always known their history and borne the pains of not being able to
act on it because Chief Awolowo was unassailable and had turned the Ooni
dynasty into a colossus to cow all opposition.

Another way of confirming Oduduwa’s 1200 CE demise date in Ife, is to look into the famous account of valour during Oduduwa’s reign when an external invasion by the Igbos from the
East took place. The record can easily be traced and Moremi’s courage
came to the fore at the time for sacrificing her life for the safety of her
people. From 1200 CE to 2004 CE is only 804 years, so the Yoruba should
stop deceiving themselves that Oduduwa dropped from the skies at the beginning
of time or that Ife is the ‘source’ of the universe. Ife is ‘Uhe,’
meaning Oduduwa’s re-birth, or successful re-location from Bini land of his
ancestors.

Where did Oduduwa come from in Yoruba myth?

The Yoruba story about Oduduwa is extremely thin on substance. What we have is wrapped largely in myths, parables, and folktales. In fact, the most generous way to describe the story is that the Yoruba do not know
anything about their highly revered progenitor. Oduduwa himself
left a tell tale evidence of his ancestry in his lifetime. He reserved a
special seat in his palace for his ancestors, which only the Bini monarch can
sit on even now. No other human, whether Arab, Eskimo, Alaafin, Ooni, or
Yoruba, (bleached or not), can sit on the seat. Despite this vivid
evidence that has survived through the centuries, some Yoruba historians still
claim that he was from somewhere in Arabia.

Any place from Egypt to Lebanon to Iraq to Saudi Arabia has been mentioned, and the Yoruba professors’ strongest proof of Oduduwa’s Arabian ancestry so far is that he was light in complexion. This may have influenced some heirs
of Oduduwa, who have been accused of serious attempt at bleaching. The ‘light’
in complexion argument could place Oduduwa’s origin any where in the world from
Edo, to China, to Britain, to Mexico, but who dares fault our professors who
passed their exams on European history? The Saudi Arabian origin theory
is not popular with the Ijebus who erroneously claim Wadai as their
roots. Those linking Oduduwa with Iraq claim that he descended from
Lamurudu (the Nimrod of Babylon’s myth). Nimrod was not an historical
figure but a myth constructed from the life image of Ausar, the god of the
Chaldeans, who invaded and colonized Persia from 4000 BCE. In any case,
is it not dishonest to try to link 6000-year-old ancestry with 900-year-old
personalities, without authentic and verifiable historical documents or DNA
test? You can deceive the illiterate with myths but Nigerians are becoming more
and more educated now.

There is another school of thought among some Yoruba historians claiming that Oduduwa came from the East. Some Yoruba historians are more specific and claim that Oduduwa first settled on a hill East of the valley over-looking
the native Yoruba settlements. If he settled first in the Eastern
side of the hamlet, isn’t there a good chance that he may have come from that
side too? Bini would appear to be more East of Yorubaland than any Arabian
country. The argument that the native Yoruba people probably did not know
their East from their North is not tenable because the same people told us that
the Igbos attacked them from the East in Moremi’s story, and both the Bini and
the Igbos are East of Yorubaland.

Who was Oduduwa in Yoruba myth?

There is a measure of agreement between the Yoruba and Bini historians about who Oduduwa was. The Bini say he was their prince. All Yoruba historians agree that Oduduwa was a noble and some say he is a god. Many
settle for a prince with impeccable royal blood and immense spiritual powers.
The Yoruba historians tell us that Oduduwa was the first ruler of the Yoruba
people.

There is no mention in any Arabian historical records of a prince of such illustrious ancestry who abandoned his privileged ranks at home and moved several hundreds of miles through bush paths to live in the West African
jungle. Such incidents do not happen casually or without clear excuse such as a
jihad or war of conquest, and when it did, all tribes along their routes felt
their impact one way or the other. In the case of Oduduwa, mum is the
word from the Northern flanks of Yorubaland all the way through the jungle to
the other side of the Mediterranean Sea.

The God-son origin claim by Oduduwa

Oduduwa’s claim to uniqueness loses its enigma when traced to its Bini source because Bini history precedes Oduduwa’s intervention in Ife by some 1240 years. Arabs do not make such a claim, not even for Muhammad.

The Bini version is that Osanobua decided to populate the Earth, so, Osanobua sent four sons, each with a choice of peculiar gift. The oldest three of the sons were spirits. The first chose to have wealth, the next
chose wisdom and the third chose magical skills. As the fourth and youngest
was about to make his choice known, Owonwon cried out to him to settle for a
snail shell. This he did. When the canoe the four children were
travelling in reached the middle of the waters, the youngest son turned his
snail shell upside down to release endless stream of sand resulting in the
emergence of land from the waters. The four sons at first were afraid to step
on the land from the canoe. To test the firmness of the land, they sent
the Chameleon, which is why Chameleons walk with hesitation. On stepping on the
land, only the youngest son turned human, the others remained spirits.

Osanobua came down with a chain from the sky, to allocate responsibilities. Osanobua gave the oldest son control of the waters. The Bini call this son, Olokun (meaning the god of the river). The other two children had spirit
freedom to balance out the negative and positive forces of nature.
Osanobua appointed the youngest son as ruler of the earth. The son called the
earth (agbon), and promptly set up his headquarters at Idu which later became
Igodomigodo. Osanobua then settled in the realm of the spirit world
across the waters, where the sky and the earth meet.

The Ifa myth of creation draws significantly from the Bini and Egyptian corpus. It claims that Olodumare sent his son, Orunmila, (another name for Oduduwa), from heaven on a chain, carrying a five-legged cockerel, a palm-nut
and a handful of earth. Before then, the entire earth surface was
covered with water. Oduduwa scattered the earth on water; the cockerel
scattered it with its claws so that it became dry land. The palm-nut grew
into a tree representing the eight crowned rulers of Yoruba land. Oduduwa
had eight children who later dispersed to found and rule other Yoruba
communities. The Yoruba myth of creation is community based, confirming lineal
relationship with it’s (earth based Bini, and universe based Egyptian), mother
sources.

Religion as a tool for unraveling Oduduwa’s origin

No Yoruba historian has been able to prove yet, Oduduwa’s Arab names. As an illustrious Arabian prince, Oduduwa must have been a staunch Moslem, but Yoruba historians have failed to enlighten us so far about how he adjusted so
easily to the Ifa mysteries. Oduduwa did not invent Ifa but appears to
have been a strong adherent and custodian of it so effortlessly. For a Moslem
with possible jihadist credentials, Oduduwa’s easy conversion to Ifa must have
been a great feat considering Muhammad’s open rage against what he called,
serving more than one God.

To try to overcome this observation, some Yoruba historians claim that Oduduwa was an idol worshipper who escaped from persecution during Arabian antiquity. Well, Muhammad’s era does not equate with the beginning of
time. It was less than 1500 years ago, 700 years before the demise of
Oduduwa, and encompassing a period of rather modern documentation of
history. There is no record so far from the Yoruba tribe or outside it,
at least, about an illustrious Arabian prince, who escaped persecution at home
to surface in Yoruba West Africa in the last 800 years because he was an idol
worshipper. That would have been headline news anywhere in the world,
wouldn’t it?

No Ifa major ritual or ceremony is considered genuine or acceptable to the gods or ancestors without being wrapped in Edo traditions and involving a typical Bini traditional faith custodian, from Oduduwa’s time until now. This
is because both Ifa and Bini traditional faiths have a strong common source,
which explains Oduduwa’s easy assimilation into the Ifa traditions.
Oduduwa was the spiritual leader of Ifa divinity. The Yoruba (who call
Tu-SoS, Olodumare), saw Oduduwa as a direct descendant. His banishment
link with the God-son (Ogisos) was kept a secret from the Yoruba. In
fact, the Yoruba believed he was a deity from the sky and accorded him great
reverence as their leading ancestor and spiritual icon.

The Bini say there are two aspects of man. One half is ehi, which is the spirit essence and the other half is the omwa, which is the physical person. The two interchange existences seven times each, to
produce in totality the fourteen phases of human existence. Before birth,
the ehi (the spirit essence) of the individual humbly goes before
Osanobua (Tu-SoS), to ask for the kind of life he wishes to live on earth (agbon).
The requests obviously are made with a baby’s innocence of rights and wrongs
and the weight of the karmic debit and credit baggage of the individual from
previous life styles. However, the choice of the new life style is
patently and entirely the individual’s, and could be any or a combination of
scenarios. He may want to be a powerful magician, a rich businessman or
farmer, a great warrior, a happy or unhappy family man, a wimp or beggar, a
revered medicine man, a famous chief or popular king and even a notorious
thief.

The request process is called hi and leads to Osanobua stamping his sacred staff on the floor to seal the wishes. The secret wishes are only known to ehi who is entrusted with the responsibility of ensuring that
his second half (omwa) keeps to the promises made before Osanobua.
The Bini, however, believe that their ancestors can intercede on their behalf,
when faced with failure in life. This apparently is in contradiction of
the popular notion of destiny being immutable but then, what is a man’s life
worth without hope?

In Yoruba mythology, Olodumare is the Almighty Tu-SoS whose sixteen ministers serve as intermediaries between Tu-SoS and mortals because (Tu-SoS) Olodumare is too great and remote. The ministers include Orunmila, the
God of wisdom, Obatala, the God of creativity, Ogun, the God of Iron and Shango
(Jakuta), the God of lightening, just like the attributes of the Sefiroth of
the Jews. Obatala has the responsibility of creating human forms, while
Orunmila endows the forms with sense. Obatala was revered as a great
artist and yet deformities continued to smear his record in creating perfect
human images. He rushed back to Olodumare to request for the power to
mould only perfect human forms. Ajalorun, the gatekeeper to heaven,
laughed and put Obatala through a learning process to demonstrate that humans
choose what they would look like or become, before birth, and not even Obatala
could change that. In other words, failure or success in life depends on
ones chosen destiny, says the Yoruba. Destiny is chosen by ori or ori-inu
(the inside of ones head or inner essence. Therefore, ori-inu
alone, and no one else, knows the content of the chosen destiny. Ori is
the spiritual essence of man and precedes him to life, sheds part to animate
and monitor the physical self on earth while the other part stays behind with
the Creator. The part that animates life returns to the other half on the
death of the animated physical body on earth.

This, of course, means that there are two sides to man. The ori-inu, which is identified by the Yoruba with the head, and the eniyan (which is identified with the heart) and includes aspirations, desires, feelings and
thoughts. When aspirations fail to tally with immutable destiny, the head and
the heart are said to be in conflict and to minimize or prevent this tendency
the Yoruba have developed prayerful songs to extol the ori-inu to
harmonize with eniyan while on earth. This peculiar song is translated by
Prof. E.D. Babatunde to English (published in ’Bini and Yoruba Notions of
Human Personality’ the ‘Substance of African Philosophy, edited by C.S.
Momoh, African Philosophy Projects Publications, Auchi, Nigeria, 2000).

My inner self, steer me to a good course,

My director, allocate a good place for me,

I look up to you.

My inner self, do not spoil my endeavours,

Come and make my life successful,

Hearken to my call,

Because if I want to have money, I ask it from you.

If I want many children,

I will plead for them through you.

My inner self, please do not frustrate my

efforts to look up to you.

The central figure in Ifa divinity is Orunmila, the God of wisdom who, in Yoruba myth, was witness to earth’s creation. You can’t go further in human history than that. Oduduwa’s link with immortality comes from his
sometimes being equated with Orunmila in Yoruba myth. Orunmila uses his
special insight as a witness to creation, to guide, help, and teach the 401
spirits sent to earth to organize the world. The spirits include gods of
fire, iron, vegetation, thunder, eshu, and goddesses such as, Yemoja the
goddess of fertility. These are specialized pockets of karmic or
electromagnetic vibrancies, incorporating the spirits of ancestors, who
performed incredible feats when alive. They are neither good nor bad,
just spiritual energies to tap into for selfish and other ends.

‘Ifa’ sounds like the Bini ‘Iha.’ Both divinations are oral, secretive in dimension and thrive on words of wisdom from the obvious to the proverbial, the mystical to the esoteric. They are gigantic memory banks
of words on all sorts of events on earth and under the heavens. No issue
is too trivial to preserve and the information banks’ subjects range from
births to deaths of the lowly and the kings, wars, evolution of great and small
empires and nations, journeys, marriages, quarrels, etc. Every incidence
imaginable is carefully catalogued, itemized and stored away ready to be
accessed by the trained mind at will. The knowledge banks are constantly being
replenished and updated to make them ever fresh, relevant, and comprehensive.

Both Ifa and Iha religious traditions use myths, parables, proverbs, symbols, magic and numbers to conceal truth from the non-initiates. Initiates go through long and tedious periods of training where teachings are
memorized rather than written down. Ifa and Iha students start between
the ages 7-10. Progress between training grades is slow and laborious,
subjecting students to memory and bodily ordeals and tests. Only the very fit,
tough, and determined can survive and complete the training and graduate.
Many drop by the wayside. Students graduate 12 years later as
philosopher- priests, known as Babalawos (or Awos) in Ifa and Obos in Bini. The
Ifa library of wisdom is called Odu ifa and consists of 256 verses divided into
16 chapters of 250 minor categories. An Awo, apart from memorizing all
these, must be able to recognize and interpret the 16 major signs and the 240
minor ones as they appear or fall in divination.

Language in aid of history

Language is a legitimate tool for constructing history and all the names associated with Oduduwa have deeper roots in Bini language than in the Yoruba. The Arabs or the Yoruba, do not have words like ‘Uhe’ (the sacred
name for Bini and Ile-Ife, or words ending with ‘duwa,’ ‘noyan’ or ‘miyan,’
which are typical Bini vowels. ‘Uhe’ is perhaps the most powerful and
revealing of all the Bini names associated with Ile-Ife because depending on
how it is pronounced, it could refer to something sacred or taboo (such as
Virgin or Virginity or Vagina), interpreted as innocence, source, birth canal.

Oduduwa is not the ancestor of the Yoruba

Many Yoruba historians have canvassed the view that Oduduwa was not the Yoruba ancestor and we have now proved it that Oduduwa entered Yoruba history about 900 years ago. There were Yoruba people living in the hamlets
Oduduwa stumbled upon. But Oduduwa and his children, the Obalades
organized the Yoruba into a nation state and civilized them. Oduduwa was
the first ruler in all of Yoruba land and was seen as the Yoruba spiritual
progenitor. He introduced them to the idea of rulership. Bini
history precedes Oduduwa’s by at least 1,240 years because 31 Ogisos ruled
Igodomigodo between 40 BCE – 1200 CE.

Those 1,240 years of early Bini history could not have been deliberately constructed to coincide with Oduduwa’s intervention in Ife so that the Bini could claim to have been the progenitors of the Yoruba? It is the Yoruba
that are looking to be someone’s progenitors anyway. Edo simply states
the fact that between 1100 and 1200 CE, her Prince Ekhaladerha took 1,240 years
of illustrious Edo civilization to some remote non-Edo hamlets he named Uhe
(re-birth) and his domicile he named Ilefe (successful escape), and woke up the
Yoruba race.

According to Ovbia Oba Edu Akenzua in his book, Ekaladerhan, “the issue is not about whether or not the relationship between Benin and Ife existed, its existence has been proven beyond doubt by anthropological and
folkloric evidence. Songs and rituals are performed in both Benin and Ife
today which eulogize the link with nostalgia, relish and pride.”

The Yoruba hamlets, Ekhaladarha eventually settled in were obviously no where as sophisticated as Igodomigodo. Yoruba historians attest to the contrast in sophistication between the kingdom Oduduwa was coming from and the Yoruba
villages he joined. The question now is, why a people as sophisticated in
political and social administration, spanning a period of 1,240 years, would be
looking to some unknown alien villages for a king at a time of crisis?
Unless through military conquest, such adventure is not normal and the
Oduduwa’s hamlets in Yoruba land at the time were not known to have conquered
even their neighbours let alone to have ventured as far away from home as
Igodomigodo.

Ovbia Oba Edu Akenzua again, “at the time when the event took place, Uhe had no record of a ruler, let alone a famous one, from whom neighbouring countries could make such a request. Why did the people of Igodomigodo
choose Uhe, instead of another place, which is perhaps nearer, to go and
request for a king? “

The argument that a patently powerful kingdom like Igodomigodo, reached out to her son Ekhaladerha, to plead with him to return home to his father’s throne, is not so outlandish after all. Especially considering that the
people of Igodomigodo put a great deal of premium on the first son of their
king inheriting the father’s throne. Ogiso by the way means rulers from
the sky or God-son kings, which explains why the people of Igodomigodo were
averse to mere mortals ruling them. It had to be the Ogiso’s first son and no
body else, and that is still the case today. The Oba of Bini’s first son is the
heir apparent to the Bini throne.

Bini Obaship is one of the most revered institutions in the world because of the way it has sustained its awesome prestige with strict and meticulous attention to ancient traditions of valour, discipline and integrity. Bini
chieftaincy titles cannot be bought or conferred on non-indigenes or
frivolously. Every Bini chief performs a peculiarly sacred duty and
responsibility to the people of Bini. It does not make sense, therefore,
to think that a people who would not and have never conferred their chieftaincy
titles on non-indigenes, would voluntarily invite, accept, or surrender to
non-indigenes as their kings. Due to celestial origins, the Edo monarch cannot
eat out and cannot be diverted from full time palace duties to hustle for
contracts. In fact, he cannot function outside the palace confines without
divine sanction.

Read more at http://otedo.com/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 5:59pm On Mar 01, 2011
Oyo is not included in any supposed "colonization" of Yorubaland, and it was the largest part of Yorubaland.

I could post specific quotes from Biobaku's Sources of Yoruba History which go into detail about the apparent Edo influence and origin of many of the smaller non-Oyo, non-Ife, Yoruba city-states, but it would be a lot of typing. I might post a few parts, but I don't really share the OP's zeal for this "Edo colonized Yorubaland" idea.

As for Edo colonizing Yorubaland, I doubt it because the use of "colonization" implies a kind of relationship which I don't think Benin actually had with most of the groups or city-states whose institutions they influenced or originated. It was more loose than that, I think.

My view with regard to the Edos and Yorubaland is that the acknowledgment of the religious supremacy of Ife is what kept Oyo and Benin from really clashing all those years, but the Alaafin of Oyo was certainly not the vassal of the Oni of Ife and the Oba of Benin was certainly not the vassal of the Oni of Ife. In the same manner, neither the Oni of Ife nor the Alaafin of Oyo were the vassals of the Oba of Benin, so how can one say Edo colonized Yorubaland when it never subjugated or attempted to subjugate the two most important states of Yorubaland?

In 1863, Benin did seem to clearly feel that at one time long ago they had bequeathed "civilization" on the Yorubas, but of course that view got suppressed and overridden by the Johnson-Talbot-Egharevba construction of the Yoruba-Edo relationship. Whichever version of origins is true, I think "colonization" is not what happened between either group upon the other.

The Benin story is actually very clear. They never claimed that they “colonized” all of the Yoruba-land. They only claim that Oduduwa was a Benin Prince. But the problem is with the Yorubas who claim Oduduwa was the progenitor of the Yoruba-race.

But if any of the parties should take a closer look into their history, it should be the Yorubas and they should put Oduduwa in his rightful place that he was not the progenitor of the Yoruba-race sent from heaven but just leader who came from the East. But of course they can’t because this will only prove the Bini story to be likely true that Oduduwa was actually their banished Prince, and why they demanded his return when the last Ogiso died without an heir to his throne and leader to lead the land of Igodomido as it was called during the Ogiso dynasty.

Funny enough, recent Yoruba scholars are beginning to dispute the fact the Oduduwa was the founder of the Yoruba-race. A leader? Yes. But the progenitor? No.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 12:32pm On Mar 03, 2011
Very interesting reading here!

In all of this, the following are clear:

1. The Edo did not colonize the Yorubaland and the Yorubaland did not colonize the Edo.

2. Oduduwa was not a Benin prince. In fact, the Ancient Egypt/Sudan history bears record of his father - Lamurudu  (in Yoruba) or Lamurd (in Egypt/Sudan). He migrated to the present day Ife where there already existed a group of people - The Yorubas. Oduduwa met the Ifa oracle and its custodian/priest - Agbonmiregun in Ife. He also brought along some deities as well. The Ifa oracle choose him to lead the Yoruba people.

3. Oduduwa had only one son - Okanbi who in turn had seven sons of which Oranmiyan is the last. Oranmiyan was Oduduwa's favourite grandson and the most powerful because while others wandered away, he stayed back and inherited all the powers of Oduduwa. He later founded Oyo town and what is later known as the Oyo Empire.

4. Oranmiyan indeed established the Iweka dynasty in Bini, allegedly on invitation by their oracle.

5. Oranmiyan took the Ifa oracle to Benin and left some of its priest there to guide his son when he was thought to be of age and he (Oranmiyan) was returning to Ife to take charge as the Arole of Oduduwa.

6. The Ooni must have referred to Oduduwa as having descended from heaven because of the implication on long existing Yoruba myth that the "Olodumare" - Yoruba's god of creator founded the world and sent his servant Oduduwa in company of the Ifa oracle and other deities to reign over the world. To say Oduduwa came from elsewhere would contradict the myth.

Now my observation:

The Benin kingdom as we read in history was so powerful and as I have learnt here in this thread extended to present day Benin Republic. And if it was that so powerful, it is kind of baffling that it didn't consider it wise to conquer the Yorubaland via war or coersion. IMO, I think this must have been because of a mutual respect that existed between those kingdom and which could be linked to the Oranmiyan and the Iweka dynasty relationship between both. The Oyo empire did not also have Benin as part of its list of conquered territories. The opportunities must be quite obvious to both kingdoms at that time but for certain reasons, they did not seek to usurp each other.

It is totally wrong for some people in this generation to discard the records given by past historians just because it did not sound exactly like what they want to hear. In fact, I make bold to say that the reocrds given by modern day historians contain more falsehood and manipulations than what those guys put together then. Those ancient historians moved from villages to villages and from towns to towns to come to their conclusions.

In conclusion, I think the ego generated by the records of the early Historians invited the so many aspersions of their works that we are witnessing these days. How can some people here claim to be more Benin than the historian - Egharevba How can Egharevba spit in the face of the then Oba of Benin (the father of Akenzua, the current Oba of Benin) and give -in to a deliberate distortion of the Benin history?? How is it that the then Oba of Benin in many reports available at various colonial archives in UK affirm the story of the Ooni of Ife to be true only for his son to come up with a different one years later
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 1:34pm On Mar 03, 2011
How can some people here claim to be more Benin than the historian - Egharevba How can Egharevba spit in the face of the then Oba of Benin (the father of Akenzua, the current Oba of Benin) and give -in to a deliberate distortion of the Benin history?? How is it that the then Oba of Benin in many reports available at various colonial archives in UK affirm the story of the Ooni of Ife to be true only for his son to come up with a different one years later

Actually thats very simple. Egharevba was half Benin and Yoruba and the Oba of Benin also stated that was the reason his version was biased.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 1:57pm On Mar 03, 2011
And here is something very interesting I found:

The Yoruba story about Oduduwa is extremely thin on substance. What we have is wrapped largely in myths, parables, and folktales. In fact, the most generous way to describe the story is that the Yoruba do not know anything about their highly revered progenitor. Oduduwa himself left a tell tale evidence of his ancestry in his lifetime. He reserved a special seat in his palace for his ancestors, which only the Bini monarch can sit on even now. No other human, whether Arab, Eskimo, Alaafin, Ooni, or Yoruba, (bleached or not), can sit on the seat. Despite this vivid evidence that has survived through the centuries, some Yoruba historians still claim that he was from somewhere in Arabia.

Any place from Egypt to Lebanon to Iraq to Saudi Arabia has been mentioned, and the Yoruba professors’ strongest proof of Oduduwa’s Arabian ancestry so far is that he was light in complexion. This may have influenced some heirs of Oduduwa, who have been accused of serious attempt at bleaching. The ‘light’ in complexion argument could place Oduduwa’s origin any where in the world from Edo, to China, to Britain, to Mexico, but who dares fault our professors who passed their exams on European history? The Saudi Arabian origin theory is not popular with the Ijebus who erroneously claim Wadai as their roots. Those linking Oduduwa with Iraq claim that he descended from Lamurudu (the Nimrod of Babylon’s myth). Nimrod was not an historical figure but a myth constructed from the life image of Ausar, the god of the Chaldeans, who invaded and colonized Persia from 4000 BCE. In any case, is it not dishonest to try to link 6000-year-old ancestry with 900-year-old personalities, without authentic and verifiable historical documents or DNA test? You can deceive the illiterate with myths but Nigerians are becoming more and more educated now.

There is another school of thought among some Yoruba historians claiming that Oduduwa came from the East. Some Yoruba historians are more specific and claim that Oduduwa first settled on a hill east of the valley over-looking the native Yoruba settlements. If he settled first in the Eastern side of the hamlet, isn’t there a good chance that he may have come from that side too? Bini would appear to be more East of Yorubaland than any Arabian country. The argument that the native Yoruba people probably did not know their East from their North is not tenable because the same people told us that the Igbos attacked them from the East in Moremi’s story, and both the Bini and the Igbos are East of Yorubaland.”

Now my own observation is:

"Oduduwa himself left a tell tale evidence of his ancestry in his lifetime. He reserved a special seat in his palace for his ancestors, which only the Bini monarch can sit on even now. No other human, whether Arab, Eskimo, Alaafin, Ooni, or Yoruba, (bleached or not), can sit on the seat. Despite this vivid evidence that has survived through the centuries, some Yoruba historians still claim that he was from somewhere in Arabia"

Why did Oduduwa do that? Is that not Oduduwa himself paying homage to his ancestors?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 2:41pm On Mar 03, 2011
Meyan:

Actually thats very simple. Egharevba was half Benin and Yoruba and the Oba of Benin also stated that was the reason his version was biased.

What did the preceding Oba of Benin ( Akenzua's father ) tell the British? How come Akenzua's version was never written and has never been heard anywhere in history until he launched his book?

Why did it take the Benin people hundreds of years to lay claim to Oduduwa's ancestry?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 3:01pm On Mar 03, 2011
How come Akenzua's version was never written and has never been heard anywhere in history until he launched his book?

Is that a genuine question? Never been heard? The story of Ekaladeran (the banished Prince) is well documented in Benin history. Maybe it is you who haven’t read all of Benin history. Read more and not the only ones convenient for you.

Why did it take the Benin people hundreds of years to lay claim to Oduduwa's ancestry?

And who said it took hundreds of years? Again, the story of Ekaladeran has always been well-know.

But here is my question, why did Oduduwa himself reserve a special seat for the Bini Monarch and not someone from Egypt/Sudan or anywhere else in the world?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 3:15pm On Mar 03, 2011
What did the preceding Oba of Benin ( Akenzua's father ) tell the British?

And what exactly did the Oba of Benin ( Akenzua's father ) tell the British? That Ekaladeran was not a Prince of Benin who later became Oduduwa? Maybe you should post what he said, because I have no clue what you are on about.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 4:48pm On Mar 03, 2011
Meyan:

Is that a genuine question? Never been heard? The story of Ekaladeran (the banished Prince) is well documented in Benin history. Maybe it is you who haven’t read all of Benin history. Read more and not the only ones convenient for you.

And who said it took hundreds of years? Again, the story of Ekaladeran has always been well-know.

But here is my question, why did Oduduwa himself reserve a special seat for the Bini Monarch and not someone from Egypt/Sudan or anywhere else in the world?

FYI. Akenzua's father, the preceding Oba of Benin affirmed the story written by Egharevba and other historians and it was one unanimous account replicated in all colonial records. The basis on which the Ooni of Ife - Sir Adesoji Aderemi was pronounced the Governor of the old western region (1955 - 1959) of which the present day Edo was a part, ahead of the Oba of Benin.

Tell me which historian apart from Akenzua himself has ever written the version of Ekaladeran you all are putting forward now? So to you, everyone is wrong but Akenzua, right?

About the special seat, I am hearing from you for the first time. However, if it happens to be true, it is possible that Oranmiyan brought it back from Bini to Ife (not sure) since he was the first documented contact with Ife that both parties agree to. I will investigate.

How about Ooni's assertion that until 190X, all demised Oba of Benin's head were buried in Ife?? You go find that out.

"Since Oranmiyan dynasty started in Benin, all the heads of the Obas of Benin on demise were buried in Ife in a sacred place called “Orun-Oba-Ado” up to the year 1900. 4. Records in the archives made it clear that since 1191AD, the Ooni of Ife had to be informed, and clearance must be given by him on the new Oba of Benin to be installed up to 1916. "
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 7:08pm On Mar 03, 2011
FYI. Akenzua's father, the preceding Oba of Benin affirmed the story written by Egharevba and other historians and it was one unanimous account replicated in all colonial records. The basis on which the Ooni of Ife - Sir Adesoji Aderemi was pronounced the Governor of the old western region (1955 - 1959) of which the present day Edo was a part, ahead of the Oba of Benin.

Tell me which historian apart from Akenzua himself has ever written the version of Ekaladeran you all are putting forward now? So to you, everyone is wrong but Akenzua, right?

About the special seat, I am hearing from you for the first time. However, if it happens to be true, it is possible that Oranmiyan brought it back from Bini to Ife (not sure) since he was the first documented contact with Ife that both parties agree to. I will investigate.

How about Ooni's assertion that until 190X, all demised Oba of Benin's head were buried in Ife?? You go find that out.

"Since Oranmiyan dynasty started in Benin, all the heads of the Obas of Benin on demise were buried in Ife in a sacred place called “Orun-Oba-Ado” up to the year 1900. 4. Records in the archives made it clear that since 1191AD, the Ooni of Ife had to be informed, and clearance must be given by him on the new Oba of Benin to be installed up to 1916. "

What are we debating? The origin of Oduduwa or where the Oba was buried? And it is funny you keep bringing Egharevba up, but what did the same Egharevba write about Ekaladeran? You  go find out.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 8:06pm On Mar 03, 2011
it was one unanimous account replicated in all colonial records.

And colonial records also recorded that we (Nigerians) were uncivilized - a people incapable of leading themselves, and that was the reason they colonized us. So are you telling me that was also true, if we are to take “colonial records” as the basis for this discussion?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by amazonia(m): 8:36pm On Mar 03, 2011
Meyan:

And colonial records also recorded that we (Nigerians) were uncivilized - a people incapable of leading themselves, and that was the reason they colonized us. So are you telling me that was also true, if we are to take “colonial records” as the basis for this discussion?

Thanks for your efforts. One thing is clear from the foregoing conversation. That is the
relations between this two groups is ancient and more detail and complex, than any
historic accounts reflects. Certainly, before any type of higher connections between the
groups leaders, there were already innumerable webs of relationships of both families,
commerces, and others types among the common people of both societies.
You just don't crown a stranger to lead your people. They were well aware of Ododuwa
princely blood[heritage].
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Mar 03, 2011
He migrated to the present day Ife where there already existed a group of people - The Yorubas.  The Ifa oracle choose him to lead the Yoruba people.

you barely started your recital and you're already wrong. undecided

oduduwa did not meet yorubas in ife.

he met Ife people in Ife.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 9:00am On Mar 04, 2011
Meyan:

You are mixing things up. When the Colonial masters recorded our history, they did so based on the stories they heard and the investigations they carried out. That is quite different from when they expressed their opinion that we are "uncivilized people".

Facts and expressed opinions are different. Get it?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 9:07am On Mar 04, 2011
tpiah!:

you barely started your recital and you're already wrong. undecided

oduduwa did not meet yorubas in ife.

he met Ife people in Ife.

And who were Ife people if they were not Yorubas? You seem to be playing with words here.

Maybe your assertion is based on the wrong notion that all Yorubas are direct/biological sons and daughters of Oduduwa. No, Oduduwa's sons are the ruling class in Yorubaland today. But as it were then, the King owns everybody, so every Yorubaman then qualifies to be callled sons and daughters of Oduduwa. FYI, Oduduwa met people in Ife with the Ifa Oracle and its custodian/worshipper - Agbonmiregun.

That story appears in all Odu-Ifa that referenced Oduduwa. The records are available in any literature on the Ifa Oracle.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 9:10am On Mar 04, 2011
Meyan:

What are we debating? The origin of Oduduwa or where the Oba was buried? And it is funny you keep bringing Egharevba up, but what did the same Egharevba write about Ekaladeran? You go find out.

Why are you not answering the questions I put forward. Tell me where it was written in history (until Akenzua's fake version) that Ekaladeran, the fugitive Benin Prince is the same as Oduduwa who is the father of the Yorubas?

You must answer this question or there won't be further discussion.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 11:36am On Mar 04, 2011
Tell me where it was written in history

"Written'" in history? Does that date back to the time of Oduduwa?

OK – And this was what Samuel Johnson "wrote" in The History of the Yoruba

"The Yoruba are certainly not of the Arabian family, and could not have come from Mecca -- that is to say the Mecca universally known in history, and no such accounts are to be found in the records of Arabian writers or any kings of Mecca; an event of such importance could hardly have passed unnoticed by their historians" (Johnson 1921: 5)

Facts and expressed opinions are different. Get it?

And who is the Judge of that? You?

And how do you differentiate between what is “fact” and what are “expressed opinions?"

And who should I believe? You? Akenzua? or Samuel Johnson?
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 12:14pm On Mar 04, 2011
Meyan:

"Written'" in history? Does that date back to the time of Oduduwa?

OK – And this was what Samuel Johnson "wrote" in The History of the Yoruba

"The Yoruba are certainly not of the Arabian family, and could not have come from Mecca -- that is to say the Mecca universally known in history, and no such accounts are to be found in the records of Arabian writers or any kings of Mecca; an event of such importance could hardly have passed unnoticed by their historians" (Johnson 1921: 5)

And who is the Judge of that? You?

And how do you differentiate between what is “fact” and what are “expressed opinions?"

And who should I believe? You? Akenzua? or Samuel Johnson?

This argument is not about the history of the Yorubas but of the origin of their acclaimed father - Oduduwa. The origin of the Yoruba race is another episode entirely. But let me quickly add that as with other sub-saharan tribes, the Yoruba people must have migrated to their present stead from somewhere around Egypt/Sudan in a journey that would have taken several thousands of years and this is not far from the account that Samuel Johnson dispproved due to want of evidence. However, as you will observe from Samuel Johnson's write up, it is not concvincingly clear to anybody where they migrated from.

Like I told you earlier, the Yoruba people already existed in Ile-Ife before Oduduwa got there.

You are free to believe whatever but you should be bothered that the story told by Akenzua of Oduduwa's origin only appeared in history recently.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 1:08pm On Mar 04, 2011
This argument is not about the history of the Yorubas but of the origin of their acclaimed father - Oduduwa.

Actually my opening argument was not about where the Yorubas came from, it was about the origin of Oduduwa.

Now, if according to Samuel Johnson that the Yorubas had no Arabian link, then that leaves out only Oduduwa who was certainly not Yoruba as "written" history has also shown us.

So where did Oduduwa come from? Was he from Sudan? Or from Egypt? Or even from Sokoto? And have any of the societies recorded in their history whether "written" or otherwise of any of their person whether Prince or Peasant who wandered into a region now known as Ife to rule over the people (Yorubas) he met there? And if they have, what time was it and does it coincide with the period Oduduwa appeared in Ife?

Akenzua of Oduduwa's origin only appeared in history recently.

And it doesn’t make it false because the nature of history is that it is a continuous process. History itself has no beginning or a definite end.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Xfactoria: 5:35pm On Mar 04, 2011
Meyan:

So where did Oduduwa come from? Was he from Sudan? Or from Egypt? Or even from Sokoto? And have any of the societies recorded in their history whether "written" or otherwise of any of their person whether Prince or Peasant who wandered into a region now known as Ife to rule over the people (Yorubas) he met there? And if they have, what time was it and does it coincide with the period Oduduwa appeared in Ife?

And it doesn’t make it false because the nature of history is that it is a continuous process. History itself has no beginning or a definite end.

Well, the Yorubas have a story that he descended from heaven with about 400 deities. Much as this sounds incredible and unconvincing, the Oba of Benin's version, though logical, is not more convincing for the following reasons:

1. Oduduwa came to Ife with so many deities that were not known in Benin history. There are more influence on the Benin culture by the Yoruba culture which were attributable to Oranmiyan's sojourn in Benin for some time. Chief among this culture transfer is the Ifa Oracle and some Ife arts assimilated into the Benin arts. There are no known ancient Benin deities or spiritual beliefs that were present in Ife. This would have been impossible if Oduduwa was from Benin because he was a serious spiritual priest. In fact, record has it that in the 365days in a year, there is only one day in which sacrifices are not made in Ife. Oduduwa instituted this and it is still so till today.

2. Akenzua's story appeared in history only recently. It is therefore possible that he had taken time to study Yoruba history, identify the gaps and mystery surrounding Oduduwa and then build a story around it to dispprove the "perceived superiority of the Yorubas" founded in the colonial days when the British appointed the then Ooni of Ife as the Governor of the old Western Region of which the Benin Kingdom was a part based on the prevailing story that the Oranmiyan an Ife prince founded the dynasty in Benin. The Benin people have never liked the fact that their great Benin Empire was subdued under the ruins of the old Oyo empire by the British. Do not mind the dates of appearing and disappearing of a Benin Prince "probably" coninciding with the appearance of Oduduwa in Ife. It only requires creativity to build up since there was no written record. All the dates being brandished in historical records apart from the ones recorded by the Europeans themselves cannot be entirely reliable.

My conclusion is that as logical as the Benin monarch sounds, his story though should not be ignored, calls for more study to ascertain its veracity. It would require many years of archeological and anthropological rsearch to proof. But for now, it cannot be held as the truth.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 7:36pm On Mar 04, 2011
What we know is that Oramiyan the son/or grandson of the so-called “mysterious” Oduduwa, who was also the connection between the Binis and Yorubas was well-documented by the Binis and Yorubas. Moremi also had some sort of connection with the Igbos during the time of the same Oduduwa as told in the Moremi story.

Now, the Binis had a well-documented Prince who was banished from the Land of Igodo ruled by the Ogisos. And that same Prince became a leader at the land he went into and ruled the people he met there. The Binis did not make up the Ogisos who ruled the Land of Igodo to coincide with whatever was happening with the Yorubas. The Ogisos were well-known leaders before the Obas even to the Urhobos.

So from what I have read and heard so far, there is no mystery surrounding Oduduwa. The only mystery is that the Yorubas cannot account for how and when he appeared in Ife, so they built stories around him to make him look mysterious. So until the Yorubas can prove without doubt of where Oduduwa came from, their stories (all of them) will remain very thin on substance…and only for the illiterates. 

It is therefore possible that he had taken time to study Yoruba history,

Ironically, that was how the Yorubas got the Nimrod theory of Arabia, by studying the already written works of the Hausas. But it ended up being a futile attempt at distorting history because the Nimrod theory no longer flies at this age and time. And I guess time has a way of changing everything.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Meyan: 8:15pm On Mar 04, 2011
Oduduwa's story reminds me of African-Americans who would rather trace their roots to Ethiopia, Israel, or even China, and deny that they are West-Africans. Some even go as far as denying that they are from Africa, when it is clear majority of them are from Nigeria, Ghana, and other parts of West Africa. So just like African-Americans, I guess Yorubas would rather believe Oduduwa was from any where else in the world, than to be from any close-by Nigerian community.

And I not interested in who was perceived as “superior” and who “hated” who, so please save all that debate because it is irrelevant to where Oduduwa came from. I just want to resolve the mystery of Oduduwa. If Oduduwa was the father/or grandfather of Oronmiyan, it means all this history happened not too long ago. So why is it still so mysterious with all the information and technology available to mankind today?

Next thing I’m sure Yorubas would come-up with, is that Oduduwa's father was one of the Olmecs. I can’t wait for what Yorubas would come up with next. The world is watching.
Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by PhysicsMHD(m): 1:05am On Mar 05, 2011
A few points:

1. Please read http://www.edo-nation.net/edoghimioya1.htm with regard to the Ooni of Ife and the Western region, and with regard to the many biases of Egharevba to get a good idea of what some of the problems are with accepting the version of the Ooni of Ife.

2. Also, it should be noted that Michael Crowder, who worked extremely closely  with J.F.Ade-Ajayi , another Yoruba historian, was directly responsible  for concocting the fabrication that Yoruba tribal marks were drawn on to the Oba of Benin's face during coronation and then wiped away. This story, with no evidence of originating from Benin, was promulgated by a British historian (Crowder) who just so happened to be affiliated with Obafemi Awolowo University (then known as University of Ife) and just so happened to have close ties to Ade-Ajayi. The story was later published  as though it were actually  true in  a later edition of Crowder's The Story of Nigeria (1978) despite the fact that Crowder never witnessed the videotaped 1979 coronation of Oba Erediauwa  or the earlier 1933 coronation of Oba Akenzua II (Crowder wasn't even born in 1933). The significance of that is that there is already evidence of a British historian with close ties to Yoruba historians  trying to distort Benin history.

3.  I've addressed the head burying fable.  It's simply not true. In fact, according to Egharevba's original claim, every third Oba's remains after Eweka I was buried in Ife on order of Oba Eweka I before his death and Oba Eweka I's remains were taken to Ife as well for burial. However, even by the list of Obas given by Egharevba himself, Oba Esigie died around 1547 according to Egharevba's estimate, and he was exactly one of the Obas who was was one of every third Obas after Eweka I. Yet I provided a quote from circa 1540, from a European explorer (Ramusio), which describes what happened when an Oba died - many people were buried with him, and this was already the ancient custom there. So much for the decapitation. A combination of Egharevba's own claims  and written documentation already rules out his own made up story. Also I posted a link to an article (that google books link) in an earlier post which addresses this claim. It's also curious that in the first English edition of A Short History of Benin, and the Edo language version that preceded it, he claimed that Oba Eweka I was buried in Usama, in Benin, and made no mention of Eweka I or any other Obas being buried in Ife but asserted the Ife burial idea in the second edition of the book.

4. Jacob Egharevba never said explicitly that Oduduwa was ethnically Yoruba. In the first edition he merely said that Oduduwa was the forefather of the Yoruba kings and sent his son from Ife to Benin. Nobody is actually arguing with that, it's about who Oduduwa was and where he was from. In the second edition (1953), Egharevba said the Binis journeyed from Egypt, stopped at Ife, and founded Benin. This had earlier been stated in a colonial intelligence report (Intelligence Report on Benin City (1938)) in which he had been involved. He also repeated this in The Origin of Benin (1954).The implications  of this statement by Egharevba are quite clear. A whole group of Bini  “Egyptians “ just settled in and then left another city/kingdom and left no traces or influence? Of course not. It's implicit in his statement that although Benin as a prominent city came after Ife's prominence (although both cities  are of similar antiquity), the Binis  did something at Ife during its early days or the Binis in ancient times initiated the link with Ife that they would use at the end of the Ogiso dynasty. This was in the 50s, long before any complaints about the version recently advocated by Erediauwa. It's quite different from the version recently advocated by Oba Erediauwa but the implications are similar. The main thing to realize  though, is that Egharevba in his histories was never describing anything like what the current Ooni of Ife and some other people  are claiming with regard to an ethnically Yoruba origin for the present dynasty. It was Egharevba, after all, that stated that Oduduwa was not Yoruba in 1975.

5. The claim that Egharevba or the older historians didn't introduce convenient manipulations into their interpretations of history is simply not true. They took some stories, ignored others, and molded what they accepted into coherent histories with a little bit of ingenious theorizing. With regard to art, for example, Egharevba claimed that bronze casting was introduced to Benin in the 14th century from Ife. However, not only was a bronze bracelet dating from the 13th century found at Benin by Graham Connah, other Benin bronzes  were found that have been dated to be over 900 and 950 years old by thermoluminescence, making them as old as any known Ife bronzes (which are often ascribed dates of 12th-15th century, but some are actually from even later than that). See http://www.galerie-herrmann.com/arts/art3/Ife_Benin/index_eng.htm#top for more. William Fagg's and Frank Willett's ideas about the origins and dates of various pieces of Benin art do not stand up to scrutiny - and they based most of their claims  on Egharevba's writings. To make matters worse, few of the Ife bronzes and terracottas are adequately dated by actual analysis as most are just assigned dates on the assumption that they are older than most of the Benin bronzes.

For example, see   http://www.galerie-herrmann.com/arts/art3/Ife_Benin/08_Kopf_gr_m/e_Benin_450J.htm  about Egharevba's false  claim on the date that the headdress with “earflap” like projections was first used by an Oba. He stated that this style of crown was introduced by Oba Osemwede in the early 19th century and this was accepted uncritically by Frank Willett and then repeated in multiple other books on Benin or its art. However, it is clearly depicted on a 16th century memorial head of an Oba. Additionally, the bronze dwarfs were usually  held by art historians  like William Fagg and Frank Willett who relied upon Egharevba's writings to be from around the 14th-15th century based on their supposed “Ife-like” realism and the idea that Benin art started off as being like that of Ife after bronze casting was transplanted there in the 14th century and then Benin bronze casting departed from Ife bronze casting gradually over time. In reality, the bronze dwarfs are much older, and date from around the 1000-1100s A.D.  Egharevba's assertion about the introduction of brass ("bronze"wink casting from Ife in his second (but not first) edition of A Short History of Benin has long been a point of contention.

6. The claim that stories collected earlier, during the colonial era, were necessarily more factual than any later versions, doesn't make much sense from a historical  standpoint. In the study of history, it's often the later books, interpretations, scholarship, etc., that are accepted as most plausible, well-researched, and sensible  over the earliest theories, historical writings, and conjectures. A good example is Herodotus, the “father of history” who, writing from a limited perspective and with limited knowledge of the many cultures and groups he wanted to describe, wrote many things about different groups that simply were not true. Modern scholarship approaches his writings with a healthy dose of skepticism.

7. The reason that I claimed that the version of history advocated by Oba Erediauwa may have been suppressed  due to the socio-cultural atmosphere of the time, in which a part Yoruba, part Bini historian in the person of Egharevba may have been trying to solidify the links between Benin and Yorubas to the fullest extent and trying to make the Edos more closely “tied” to their neighbors by ignoring the other version of the Ekaladerhan story in his first version is that when Richard Burton visited Benin in 1863, he was informed that Benin had bequeathed “civilization” on the Yorubas in earlier times. This may or may not actually be true but what is clear is that they certainly had a certain view of things in 1863 yet it was never really reflected in Egharevba's first version from the 1930s, which shows that he had already not succeeded in incorporating all  Benin histories in his accounts. The 1863 view, the story contained in Egharevba's second version from 1938 and the 1950s, and the 1970s version that Oba Erediauwa recently advocated in 2000 all  link up into one more coherent picture of things in which Benin initiates the link with Ife before Oranmiyan. I think the weight of evidence, not only from a logical standpoint, but from the murkiness of the current Ooni of Ife's view of who Oduduwa actually was (actually descended from heaven? An Arab from Mecca?  undecided ) makes me lean towards accepting the Ekaladerhan as Oduduwa version.

8. Aspects of Yoruba religion, such as the Orunmila deity, are held to have been introduced to Benin in the 17th century, so claiming that Yoruba influence on Benin was due to Oranmiyan, who didn't even stay in Benin and has always been held by both sides  to have been frustrated out of Benin or to be frustrated with integrating into Benin (either one, makes little difference) and then to have gone and founded Oyo after this frustration, is pure fabrication and quite dishonest an approach to take.

9. The version advocated by Prince Edun Akenzua in the 1970s was never contradicted or denied by his father (Oba Akenzua II) while Oba Akenzua II was alive or by Egharevba, although both Egharevba and Oba Akenzua II, who were friends, were alive at that time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Edo Colonized Yorubaland Not Vice Versa. by Nobody: 10:43am On Mar 05, 2011
let's drop it.

it's a tribal issue and neither side will accept the other's version.

however, the evidence [the ife and benin artworks] point to a cross cultural exchange from ife[b] to [/b] benin.

in addition, the portuguese featured heavily in the bini ones, but it wasnt the same for ife.

thirdly, the people in ife werent yorubas, they were ife. Oduduwa attempted to build an empire by sending his sons/grandsons to rule over other towns and cities- and the legends say he did the same for benin and ijaw as well. This to me, says something.

fourthly, it was all about the slave trade anyway.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Eze Ndigbo Title Remains Banned – Deji Of Akure / Oba Of Benin Is Alive -traditional Council / How to know a genuine babalawo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 237
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.