Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,746 members, 7,820,574 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:25 PM

Storing Your Car for a Long Time. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Storing Your Car for a Long Time. (1338 Views)

8 Steps To Take While Storing Your Car For A Long Time / You’re Going On A Long Journey, Which Of These Suvs Will You Pick And Why? / Toyota Camry: 5 Tips To Keep Your Car Running For A Long Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by DaimlerBen(m): 6:38pm On Jul 17, 2017
With the advent of floods worldwide, some people may not be able to use their cars through particular areas, opting for public transportation instead.
So, I found this in a Honda owner's manual, hoping it would be of use.
If you need to park your car for an extended period (more than 1month), there are several things you should do to prepare it for storage.
Proper preparation helps prevent deterioration and makes it easier to get your car back on the road. It is best to store your car indoors if at all possible.

*Fill the fuel tank.
*Change the engine oil and filter.
*Wash and dry the exterior completely.
*Clean the interior. Make sure the carpeting, floor mats, etc. are completely dry.
*Leave the parking brake off.
*Put the transmission in Reverse (manual) or Park (automatic).
*Block the rear wheels. If the car is to be stored for a longer period, it should be supported on jackstands so the tires are off the ground.
*Leave one window open slightly (if the car is being stored indoors).
*Disconnect the battery.
*Support the front wiper blade arms with a folded towel or rag so they do not touch the windshield.
*Apply a silicone spray lubricant to all door and trunk seals. Also, apply wax to the painted surfaces that mate with the door and trunk seals.
*Cover the car with a "breathable" car cover, one made from a porous material such as cotton. Non-porous materials, such as plastic sheeting, trap moisture which can damage the paint.
*If possible, run the engine for a while periodically (preferably once a month).
*If you store your car for 12 months or longer, perform the inspections called for in the 24 months/48,000 km (30,000miles) maintenance schedule (Normal Conditions) as soon as you take it out of storage. The replacements called for in the maintenance schedule are not needed unless the car has actually reached that time or mileage.

I would also add that:
*You spray underneath the carpets with insecticide powder (Gongoni or others).
*You install a very potent otapiapia/rat poison in the engine bay.
*If your tyres are liable to self-relocate, relocate them to your house. grin

Add others you may know of.
Re: Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by nurey(m): 11:44am On Jul 18, 2017
If you dont need the car for that long why not
1. sell it
2. Dash it out
3. Leave it with a trusted individual to take care of it.
4. Give me let me help you rock it till you come
Re: Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by thebigkendo(m): 1:32pm On Jul 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:
With the advent of floods worldwide, some people may not be able to use their cars through particular areas, opting for public transportation instead.
So, I found this in a Honda owner's manual, hoping it would be of use.

I would also add that:
*You spray underneath the carpets with insecticide powder (Gongoni or others).
*You install a very potent otapiapia/rat poison in the engine bay.
*If your tyres are liable to self-relocate, relocate them to your house. grin

Add others you may know of.
*Relocate battery, Jack and wheel spanner
Re: Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by DaimlerBen(m): 4:43pm On Jul 18, 2017
nurey:
If you dont need the car for that long why not
1. sell it
2. Dash it out
3. Leave it with a trusted individual to take care of it.
4. Give me let me help you rock it till you come
No.1 is reasonable, but can you do Nos 2-4 for a G-Wagen?
Re: Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by nurey(m): 4:49pm On Jul 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:

No 1 is reasonable, but can you do Nos 2-4 for a G-Wagen?

why not, if i can dash someone my Bentley Continental Flying Spur tongue why should i care about a $150,000 G-Wagon? tongue
Re: Storing Your Car for a Long Time. by DaimlerBen(m): 5:14pm On Jul 18, 2017
nurey:

why not, if i can dash someone my Bentley Continental Flying Spur tongue why should i care about a $150,000 G-Wagon? tongue
You're a true Lie-gerian. grin

(1) (Reply)

Car Tracking Technology Service Provider / Do You Know How To Read A Tyre? This May Help / Car Registration (oyo Or Lagos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.