Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,142 members, 7,815,004 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night (10526 Views)

Most Important Rules To Know When Driving At High Speed / Tips For Driving Safely In The Rain / 10 Tips For Driving Safely Around Large Trucks Or Buses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Opinionated: 1:45pm On Jul 19, 2017
Traveling or driving at night can be quite risky, however, there are some occasions when you just wouldn’t be able to avoid it. In these situations, there are some safety tips to take note of to help keep you safe and protected throughout the journey. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 safety tips for driving at night.

Use Defensive Driving Techniques

It is important to be very anticipatory when driving or traveling at night because you never know which driver might just, out of negligence, get himself in a dangerous driving situation that you don’t want to be anywhere near. It’s also advisable not to tailgate when driving or traveling at night.

Avoid Drivers Who are Swerving or Drifting

This could indicate the driver is either intoxicated or drowsy on the wheel; you should thus keep your distance from such drivers.

Be Sure to Avert Your Eyes From Oncoming Traffic

This should be done to help prevent the temporary blindness that comes with your eyes being exposed to the sudden bright light from oncoming cars. It will take your eyes time to adjust to the bright light and that can be dangerous for you while driving. It is, therefore, best to immediately avert your eyes from the light of these oncoming cars to avoid temporary blindness.

Get an Anti-Glare Lens

Especially when traveling long distances at night, it might not be easy for you to avert your eyes from the bright light of every oncoming car, therefore, it will be easier to use an anti-glare lens. This will help reduce the strain of exterior lights on your eyes without much stress.

Dim Your Dashboard Light

Bright interior lights can affect your forward vision and ability to see things outside your vehicle. It is best to turn down the dash brightness so the light doesn’t hinder your visibility while driving at night.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-safety-tips-driving-night/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Ayloaded04: 8:00pm On Jul 19, 2017
V
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 20, 2017
I need me an anti glare, very few people dey dim headlamps here. With all their xenon lights grin

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Gobhanky: 7:25am On Jul 20, 2017
Baba forget this shiiit u wrote.
We gat no street lights.
The ones we got are knock offs.
But aometime sha i no dey see wella for noght
Cause every dic head drives with full lights on.
Maki my it inpossible for me tk see clearly.
Then when it rains.
Baba na 10km/h tins o

5 Likes

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 20, 2017
EXCELLENT post OP.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by hardyjeff02(m): 7:26am On Jul 20, 2017
That one na for your pocket.
We love the way we drive.

Lalasticala
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Engrduke: 7:27am On Jul 20, 2017
Educative piece. Kudos.

1 Like

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by aquadude15: 7:31am On Jul 20, 2017
What of we wey no get motor but na wheelbarrow we dey manage

1 Like

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by mormonslayer: 7:32am On Jul 20, 2017
What about the most important tips ?

Don't drink and drive.

Always wear your seat belt.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by bravo269(m): 7:40am On Jul 20, 2017
The best way to avoid an incident at night is to be watching for lights and movement and keep checking those mirrors. It is as important to keep an eye out for other cars’ headlights as it is to spot other things, such as cars without headlights. At night it is harder to see animals on the side of the road.
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by balash(m): 7:41am On Jul 20, 2017
7. Be careful with those my brothers from the Sai buhari region cause 5 of them fit hold hand na one go check road the others go follow suit..
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by dakeskese(m): 8:12am On Jul 20, 2017
another one...

Don't let a yoruba woman sit in the front with you while you drive.

They can so gossip for Africa!

This is my humble logo marquee. A logo marquee with no legal partia ! lols
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by AndriaRich(m): 8:13am On Jul 20, 2017
To actually drive safely in Nigeria u really hav to ignore som driving rules...
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by balash(m): 8:20am On Jul 20, 2017
dakeskese:
another one...

Don't let a yoruba woman sit in the front with you while you drive.

They can so gossip for Africa!

This is my humble logo marquee. A logo marquee with no legal partia ! lols

Apart from gossip sef, incase of emergency driving when u are trying to swerve to safety a yoruba woman fit collect steering from you lol
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by dakeskese(m): 8:25am On Jul 20, 2017
balash:

Apart from gossip sef, incase of emergency driving when u are trying to swerve to safety a yoruba woman fit collect steering from you lol

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Hayah: 8:57am On Jul 20, 2017
fuckerstard:
I need me an anti glare, very few people dey dim headlamps here. With all their xenon lights grin
I wish I could get one too,
It's so difficult driving at night with full lit headlamps directed at me

1 Like

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by bashorundon(m): 11:19am On Jul 20, 2017
fuckerstard:
You can get one here >>> [url]dealdey.com/merchants/qualitys[/url].

Thank me later.
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by bashorundon(m): 11:20am On Jul 20, 2017
Hayah:

Check here for some >>> [url]dealdey.com/merchants/qualitys[/url].

You are highly welcome!
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Danachuks(m): 11:44am On Jul 20, 2017
nice safety tips
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 20, 2017
I think the federal government should implement a force that will deal with some idiots that install HID xenon lights on their high beams. Even manufacturers install these lights on low beams but our naija idiots will take a camry 2.2 and install xenon lights on all beams both high and low and in the night they will turn on everything disturbing on coming drivers. Maybe they dont know if they blind an on coming driver their life is also at risk as the blinded driver might end up ramming into them.

1 Like

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by thesicilian: 12:38pm On Jul 20, 2017
Gobhanky:
Baba forget this shiiit u wrote. We gat no street lights. The ones we got are knock offs. But aometime sha i no dey see wella for noght Cause every dic head drives with full lights on. Maki my it inpossible for me tk see clearly. Then when it rains. Baba na 10km/h tins o
Hahaha 10km/hr ke? Its better to just park your car and start running.

1 Like

Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by Philadelphia: 1:44pm On Jul 20, 2017
Opinionated:
Traveling or driving at night can be quite risky, however, there are some occasions when you just wouldn’t be able to avoid it. In these situations, there are some safety tips to take note of to help keep you safe and protected throughout the journey. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares 5 safety tips for driving at night.

Use Defensive Driving Techniques

It is important to be very anticipatory when driving or traveling at night because you never know which driver might just, out of negligence, get himself in a dangerous driving situation that you don’t want to be anywhere near. It’s also advisable not to tailgate when driving or traveling at night.

Avoid Drivers Who are Swerving or Drifting

This could indicate the driver is either intoxicated or drowsy on the wheel; you should thus keep your distance from such drivers.

Be Sure to Avert Your Eyes From Oncoming Traffic

This should be done to help prevent the temporary blindness that comes with your eyes being exposed to the sudden bright light from oncoming cars. It will take your eyes time to adjust to the bright light and that can be dangerous for you while driving. It is, therefore, best to immediately avert your eyes from the light of these oncoming cars to avoid temporary blindness.

Get an Anti-Glare Lens

Especially when traveling long distances at night, it might not be easy for you to avert your eyes from the bright light of every oncoming car, therefore, it will be easier to use an anti-glare lens. This will help reduce the strain of exterior lights on your eyes without much stress.

Dim Your Dashboard Light

Bright interior lights can affect your forward vision and ability to see things outside your vehicle. It is best to turn down the dash brightness so the light doesn’t hinder your visibility while driving at night.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/5-safety-tips-driving-night/

cc: Lalasticlala, Mynd44
VERY IMPORTANTLY IS THAT YOU REDUCE YOUR SPEED.
When driving at night, visibility is reduced. Hence,nthe need for speed to also be reduced.
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by RapportNaija(m): 2:33pm On Jul 20, 2017
Re: 5 Safety Tips For Driving At Night by hollagokay(m): 4:12pm On Jul 20, 2017
please add me on whatsapp number 08159605328 for your night driving glasses.
Hayah:

(1) (Reply)

10 Unique Ways To Extend Your Car's Lifespan / My Unforgettable Experiences With Honda; Advice Needed! / 2007 Honda Eod Vs. Toyota Camry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.