Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:10 PM

What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? (1051 Views)

A True Jesus' Disciple Is Better Than A Righteous Christian / Jesus Disciple Fellowship Expose / Pastor, Eucharia Anunobi Comes For Pastor Who Sent A Disciple To Start A Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:27pm On Jul 21, 2017
What is the difference between an apostle and a disciple? Are the terms apostle and disciple synonymous? Why are the twelve interchangeably referred to as apostles and disciples?
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by PointZerom: 1:49pm On Jul 21, 2017
OLAADEGBU:
What is the difference between an apostle and a disciple? Are the terms apostle and disciple synonymous? Why are the twelve interchangeably referred to as apostles and disciples?

Apostle is a divine gift and highest office any man of can hold (Ephesians 4:11), it comprises of pastor, teacher, evangelist and prophet. It is not by appointment and cannot be ordained on someone.

A disciple is just a follower, it is mainly by appointment, you can appoint somebody to be your disciple but if the person remains consistent and spiritually minded, the gift of an apostle can be found in him just like the disciples of Jesus Christ.
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02pm On Jul 21, 2017
PointZerom:

Apostle is a divine gift and highest office any man of can hold (Ephesians 4:11), it comprises of pastor, teacher, evangelist and prophet. It is not by appointment and cannot be ordained on someone.

A disciple is just a follower, it is mainly by appointment, you can appoint somebody to be your disciple but if the person remains consistent and spiritually minded, the gift of an apostle can be found in him just like the disciples of Jesus Christ.

Why are the twelve followers of Christ interchangeably referred to as apostles and disciples?
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by PointZerom: 2:06pm On Jul 21, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Why are the twelve followers of Christ interchangeably referred to as apostles and disciples?

I think I explained that in my last paragraph.
At the point of their callings, they were ordinary disciples but through diligence, other gifts in them began to manifest.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by Heromaniaa: 9:01pm On Jul 22, 2017
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:53pm On Aug 09, 2017
PointZerom:

I think I explained that in my last paragraph.
At the point of their callings, they were ordinary disciples but through diligence, other gifts in them began to manifest.

Lets do it this way, who is an Apostle?
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by Nobody: 7:31am On Aug 10, 2017
OLAADEGBU:

Lets do it this way, who is an Apostle?
He has explained it already. To add to it
How Shall We Identify an Apostle?
A.) An Apostle is identified by his spiritual authority.
Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. (2 Corinthians 12:12, KJV)
B.) An apostle is called by God, not men.
But from those who seemed to be something--whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man--for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me. But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. (Galatians 2:6-9, NKJV)
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead) (Galatians 1:1, KJV).
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
asuustrike2009:

He has explained it already. To add to it
How Shall We Identify an Apostle?
A.) An Apostle is identified by his spiritual authority.
Truly the signs of an apostle were wrought among you in all patience, in signs, and wonders, and mighty deeds. (2 Corinthians 12:12, KJV)
B.) An apostle is called by God, not men.
But from those who seemed to be something--whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man--for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me. But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. (Galatians 2:6-9, NKJV)
Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead) (Galatians 1:1, KJV).

Good job. smiley
Re: What Is The Difference Between An Apostle And A Disciple? by prinzfavian(m): 2:47pm On Aug 28, 2017
Apostles are chosen by God.... Even Jesus was an apostle (Heb 3:1)... In a more extensive case, Apostles are the twelve disciples chosen by God through Jesus Christ, including Mathias who replaced Judas Iscariot (acts 1:17-26)... They are constant... That is 12 in number, directly chosen and trained by Jesus Christ... Such office doesn't extend to this day... They were to be the foundation of the body of Christ after he has gone. Hence they've fulfilled their mission. Mathew 10:2-4 gives their complete details.

On the other hand,
Disciples are followers of Jesus Christ....
All apostles are disciples since they are followers of Christ too, but only the first 12 disciples are apostles because they were specially trained by Jesus Christ... Even Paul is an apostle because he was directly chosen by Jesus Christ...
All Christians of this age are disciples... The last apostle died many years ago in person of John the beloved.... The writer of the book of revelation.

(1) (Reply)

Winning The Battle For Your Mind ( Part 2 ) - Joseph Prince / How Would You Preach To A Suicidal Guy Who Has Lost Faith To Continuous Poverty? / Get Professional Flyers For Your Church @cheap Prices

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.