Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,785 members, 7,817,251 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Passport Validity - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passport Validity (4609 Views)

President Buhari Launches 10-Year Validity E-passport / Passport With 10-year Validity Effective December / FG Okays 10-year Validity Period For Passports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 11:41am On Jul 22, 2017
Hello everyone,
I just got admitted to one of the Unis in New Zealand. I have applied for a student visa (up to 3 yrs). But my passport will expire in oct, 2018. All my other documents are intact. Is it possible to secure the visa?
Thank you.
Re: Passport Validity by mrtomola(m): 11:48am On Jul 22, 2017
It is better you go and renew it right away before it is too late....
Re: Passport Validity by Nobody: 11:54am On Jul 22, 2017
mrtomola:
It is better you go and renew it right away before it is too late....
ho

how come, is it possible to renew a passport that still has almost 8-9 months validity. I thought one could only renew his passport when it has only 3months validity remaining on it.
Re: Passport Validity by mrtomola(m): 11:58am On Jul 22, 2017
slimany:
ho

how come, is it possible to renew a passport that still has almost 8-9 months validity. I thought one could only renew his passport when it has only 3months validity remaining on it.

Things has changed thou. Give it a trial because no EU country will give you F1 (Student) visa with that expriation period left on ur Passport.
Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 12:14pm On Jul 22, 2017
mrtomola:

Things has changed thou. Give it a trial because no EU country will give you F1 (Student) visa with that expriation period left on ur Passport.

But, I have already applied for the visa and my passport is with them now for processing. What do you think I should do?
Re: Passport Validity by Rayd502(m): 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2017
Minimum requirement for visa approval in most countries is passport with no less than 6 months validity.

I ll advice you to commence process for re-issue of your passport.
Re: Passport Validity by mrtomola(m): 12:21pm On Jul 22, 2017
thebest1210:

But, I have already applied for the visa and my passport is with them now for processing. What do you think I should do?

I pray it all work out fine and i pray they dont reject it all because of the duration.
Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 12:26pm On Jul 22, 2017
Rayd502:
Minimum requirement for visa approval in most countries is passport with no less than 6 months validity.

I ll advice you to commence process for re-issue of your passport.

Thanks alot. Will do that as soon as I collect the old one.
Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 12:27pm On Jul 22, 2017
mrtomola:

I pray it all work out fine and i pray they dont reject it all because of the duration.

Amen!
Thanks.
Re: Passport Validity by justwise(m): 1:19pm On Jul 22, 2017
thebest1210:
Hello everyone,
I just got admitted to one of the Unis in New Zealand. I have applied for a student visa (up to 3 yrs). But my passport will expire in oct, 2018. All my other documents are intact. Is it possible to secure the visa?
Thank you.

You don't have to renew your passport because you have enough time on it.

2 Likes

Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 3:14pm On Jul 22, 2017
justwise:

Thanks.
Since my visa will be for 3yrs (to expire 2020). How then will I transfer the visa to my new passport, when the old one expires next year Oct?
Re: Passport Validity by justwise(m): 3:50pm On Jul 22, 2017
thebest1210:

Thanks.
Since my visa will be for 3yrs (to expire 2020). How then will I transfer the visa to my new passport, when the old one expires next year Oct?

You don't transfer it rather you carry the two passports when traveling and present both at the POE. This is a common practice.

7 Likes

Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 5:08pm On Jul 22, 2017
justwise:

You don't transfer it rather you carry the two passports when traveling and present both at the POE. This is a common practice.

Thank you very much for d responses. Quite relieving.
Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 10:51pm On Jul 22, 2017
thebest1210:
Hello everyone,
Thank you.

@justwise
@Disguy
plz, help me push this to FP. so dat I can get more info on this. it might also help someone.
Thanks
Re: Passport Validity by Ufranklin92(m): 11:03pm On Jul 22, 2017
dude go get a new pp,my guy was once in your shoe,he just renewed the visa,that's all

1 Like

Re: Passport Validity by Nobody: 6:50am On Jul 23, 2017
thebest1210:

@justwise
@Disguy
plz, help me push this to FP. so dat I can get more info on this. it might also help someone.
Thanks

I thought justwise has told u the plain truth. You pp validity does not lead to visa refusal,but once ur visa is out, just go do renewal b4 travelling.
Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 9:11am On Jul 23, 2017
slimany:

I thought justwise has told u the plain truth. You pp validity does not lead to visa refusal,but once ur visa is out, just go do renewal b4 travelling.

Tanx alot
Re: Passport Validity by hardywaltz(m): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2017
U cannot renew your passport until it has six months left on it validity. I tried renewing mine with 6months 3 weeks left on it but was refused by NIS.
After I got the VISA I tried to renew the passport only to be told that there were no passports available so I quietly traveled and should be back just 2days before my passport expires.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Passport Validity by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 23, 2017
hardywaltz:
U cannot renew your passport until it has six months left on it validity. I tried renewing mine with 6months 3 weeks left on it but was refused by NIS.
After I got the VISA I tried to renew the passport only to be told that there were no passports available so I quietly traveled and should be back just 2days before my passport expires.

And peradventure such a person won't be back before the passport export date such as schooling or working path, I guess he / she can easily renew it in the host country. Am I right ?

2 Likes

Re: Passport Validity by thebest1210(m): 3:23pm On Jul 23, 2017
slimany:

And peradventure such a person won't be back before the passport export date such as schooling or working path, I guess he / she can easily renew it in the host country. Am I right ?

if Nigerian embassy is not in the host community, that means, the person has to come back to renew or go to the nearest country that has Nigerian embassy.
Re: Passport Validity by hardywaltz(m): 5:26pm On Jul 23, 2017
slimany:

Yup
Re: Passport Validity by buymyride: 2:48am On May 19, 2021
thebest1210:
Hello everyone,
Thank you.
hi, thebest1210 what’s the resolution on this please? I am in a similar dilemma right now and wish to know how yours turned out. Kindly update me please
Re: Passport Validity by buymyride: 2:50am On May 19, 2021
justwise:

hi, justwise does this still applies till date?
Re: Passport Validity by justwise(m): 10:48am On May 19, 2021
buymyride:
hi, justwise does this still applies till date?

It does

1 Like

Re: Passport Validity by buymyride: 2:20pm On May 19, 2021
justwise:

It does
ok, thanks
Re: Passport Validity by khasm(m): 2:35pm On Mar 25, 2022
justwise:

Dear justwise,
I’m in the Uk on a student visa.
My family wants to put in their application next week but their passport expiry is 24th April,2022 for my wife, 24th may 2022 for the children.
Every document is ready.
Can we add evidence of passport renewal and a cover letter to the application?
I just want them to get the visa now and anytime the new passport is ready they can travel.
Re: Passport Validity by justwise(m): 7:35pm On Mar 25, 2022
khasm:

Dear justwise,
I’m in the Uk on a student visa.
My family wants to put in their application next week but their passport expiry is 24th April,2022 for my wife, 24th may 2022 for the children.
Every document is ready.
Can we add evidence of passport renewal and a cover letter to the application?
I just want them to get the visa now and anytime the new passport is ready they can travel.

I know the UK does not bother applicants about passport expiration issue but this is very close, that passport may expire while the visa application is still under consideration.

You left this too late, well you can add evidence of passport renewal and hope for the best
Re: Passport Validity by khasm(m): 11:01am On Apr 16, 2022
justwise:

I know the UK does not bother applicants about passport expiration issue but this is very close, that passport may expire while the visa application is still under consideration.

You left this too late, well you can add evidence of passport renewal and hope for the best

How did i miss this shocked
Many thanks for your response.
We submitted the application and did the take my passport option so we went for renewal.
Hoping for a positive outcome.
Thanks again
Re: Passport Validity by Elolam87(m): 8:21pm On Dec 23, 2022
Hi,just a question on my mind.Can someone already granted UK study visa ,but has a passport validity of about 5 months be allowed to board flight by the airline to the UK,and hope there won't be issue at poe?,as it's somehow difficult to renew the passport now.
Thanks
justwise:

Re: Passport Validity by abuhusna1: 8:10am On Dec 29, 2022
Elolam87:

Hi,just a question on my mind.Can someone already granted UK study visa ,but has a passport validity of about 5 months be allowed to board flight by the airline to the UK,and hope there won't be issue at poe?,as it's somehow difficult to renew the passport now.
Thanks
Don't even try renew passport in nigeria. As long as it's uk you will enter. Once in mostly you need is your biometric but book in your passport renewal immediately you enter uk

1 Like

Re: Passport Validity by justwise(m): 8:30am On Dec 29, 2022
Elolam87:

Thanks

Sorry for late reply.

You can travel with that passport and renew it in the UK

1 Like

Re: Passport Validity by Elolam87(m): 9:08am On Dec 29, 2022
Thank you for your response sir
abuhusna1:

Don't even try renew passport on nigeria. As long as it's uk you will enter. Once in mostly you need is your biometric but book in your passport renewal immediately you enter uk

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 7 Hangout Spots In Lagos Mainland / This Is Anambra Int'l Airport Not Heathrow Airport London: Pictures / Uk Visiting Visa Please, How Do I Go About It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.