Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,469 members, 7,812,439 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device (4151 Views)

Screen Overlay In Tecno W2 / Screen Overlay Detected / How To Off Screen Overlay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Iloveafrica: 8:29pm On Jul 22, 2017
While trying to access an application, suddenly you noticed a pop up showing "Screen Overlay Detected" and you don't know how to solve it? Let me congratulate you, You're at the solution center! In this tutorial, you'll learn how to turn off screen overlay detected and continue enjoying the app you wanted to access initially. The tutoial is quite simple, continue reading!

What Is Screen Overlay?

Recently, Android introduced a new feature called "Draw over other apps" in Marshmallow and Nougat. This feature allows some apps to draw over other apps. Which simply makes an app to show info on top of other apps. For instance, Whatsapp Messenger uses this feature for their chat heads to be shown over other apps as seen below.
{image 2 here}

Sometimes when installing new applications, Android will display a pop up showing""Screen Overlay Detected". That occured because some installed apps which has "Draw over other apps" permission enabled is running on background.

To be sincere, this is a great security measure from Android, to stop some useless apps you may have installed mistakenly, from interfering with the default Android settings.

These apps may carryout unwanted things when the overlay is running in background and asking for permissions. Mind you, Android will never allow such, so the Screen Overlay Detected error pop up message will be displayed.

Moreover, there's nothing to worry about, it is a normal thing and it remains in Android as an extra security measure, and is displayed on Android running Marshmallow and above.
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Iloveafrica: 8:31pm On Jul 22, 2017
Method 1:

1. On your Android device, go to Settings and click on Apps. See screenshot below.

2. Look at the top right corner, you'll see Three Dоtѕ, clіck оn the Three Dоtѕ and click on Configure аррѕ.

3. Now, click on “Draw Ovеr Othеr Apps”

4. By now, you should be able to see the apps which are drawing over others permission.
5. Now, click on any app that has "yes" underneath it. And switch off the “Permit drawing over other apps” button, as shown below:

We're through with the first method!
Does the first solution worked for you? If NO, then try the Second methodas explained below.

Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Iloveafrica: 8:33pm On Jul 22, 2017
Method 2:

1. Go to "Settings"
2.Click on "Apps or Applications"

Step 3: Click on the Three Dоtѕ on the tор right corner and click on "Reset App Preferences"
4.Thats it!

With the above, you should be able to turn off the "Screen Overlay Detected" error on your android device.

Didn't get it correctly? Feel free to comment below and please don't forget to share this post.
Thanks...

Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Iloveafrica: 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2017
If you don't get it, feel free to drop your comments

Do you have any question? Check :
http://www.techloaded.com.ng/2017/07/fix-screen-overlay-detected-error-android.html
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by THUNDAR(m): 10:08pm On Jul 22, 2017
This problem is particular with android M 6.0

A simple solution will be to download n install "Install Button Unlocker"

It will perform the magic

3 Likes

Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by droopyd: 12:49am On Jul 23, 2017
Encountered the problem several times with Tecno phones (seen it on 3 different Tecno W2's), I'm yet to see it on any other Android phone. Also, the solutions outlined did not work. However I discovered the culprit to be Babel fonts (seems to start causing the problem after the app updates). Here's the solution which has worked for me on tecno phones with the problem:

*Go to settings/apps
*Scroll to and select Babel fonts
*Select "Force Stop"
*Select Disable (you'll be prompted to uninstall all updates/return to factory default, select yes)
*Say bye bye to Screen overlay error message!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Seged: 11:35pm On Sep 10, 2018
Pls can somebody help me out on screen overlay, I had tried all the available way but is still not work am using xpro doogee. Thanks
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Realboygenius(m): 7:20am On Sep 11, 2018
Thanks for the thread OP
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by john8998: 1:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
Hello,
Generally, this error occurs to Marshmallow users, which stops any apps to open or run. This is one kind of painful situation where users don’t know what to do.
Reasons behind “Screen overlay detected” error
Its already been mentioned that the error occurs due to the new feature on Android. It occurs while running a floating app and especially seen in new installed apps because they needs access rights.

Some common apps that come under floating apps includes Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, Twilight, Clean master etc.

However, the methods to deal with this error,. you have to follow the below methods:

Method 1: Find out apps
Method 2: Check the apps permission
Method 3: Use safe mode
Method 4: Reinstall app again
Method 5: Install Button Unlocker

See more on: http://www.androiddata-recovery.com/blog/fix-screen-overlay-detected-android
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by freemi(m): 7:15am On May 12, 2019
Iloveafrica:
While trying to access an application, suddenly you noticed a pop up showing "Screen Overlay Detected" and you don't know how to solve it? Let me congratulate you, You're at the solution center! In this tutorial, you'll learn how to turn off screen overlay detected and continue enjoying the app you wanted to access initially. The tutoial is quite simple, continue reading!

What Is Screen Overlay?U r a genius
God bless u this Sunday n NW and alwys. Amen. Thank u. The first method worked for me

Recently, Android introduced a new feature called "Draw over other apps" in Marshmallow and Nougat. This feature allows some apps to draw over other apps. Which simply makes an app to show info on top of other apps. For instance, Whatsapp Messenger uses this feature for their chat heads to be shown over other apps as seen below.
{image 2 here}

Sometimes when installing new applications, Android will display a pop up showing""Screen Overlay Detected". That occured because some installed apps which has "Draw over other apps" permission enabled is running on background.

To be sincere, this is a great security measure from Android, to stop some useless apps you may have installed mistakenly, from interfering with the default Android settings.

These apps may carryout unwanted things when the overlay is running in background and asking for permissions. Mind you, Android will never allow such, so the Screen Overlay Detected error pop up message will be displayed.

Moreover, there's nothing to worry about, it is a normal thing and it remains in Android as an extra security measure, and is displayed on Android running Marshmallow and above.
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Blastedholligan: 9:23am On May 12, 2019
Iloveafrica:
Method 1:

1. On your Android device, go to Settings and click on Apps. See screenshot below.

2. Look at the top right corner, you'll see Three Dоtѕ, clіck оn the Three Dоtѕ and click on Configure аррѕ.

3. Now, click on “Draw Ovеr Othеr Apps”

4. By now, you should be able to see the apps which are drawing over others permission.
5. Now, click on any app that has "yes" underneath it. And switch off the “Permit drawing over other apps” button, as shown below:

We're through with the first method!
Does the first solution worked for you? If NO, then try the Second methodas explained below.
Op thanks for this info.
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by Blastedholligan: 9:24am On May 12, 2019
Seged:
Pls can somebody help me out on screen overlay, I had tried all the available way but is still not work am using xpro doogee. Thanks
Make una buy better phone una no go hear word. Why not buy missionary, no be only doogee.

Just follow what the op said and you'll be alright.
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by sureinfo: 10:35am On May 13, 2019
nice tips,very helpful
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by rowland545(m): 8:50am On Apr 07, 2021
Iloveafrica:

What Is Screen Overlay?

{image 2 here}

post of 2019 helped me in 2021....feels like going back in time to get a solution

Thanks op ...
Re: How I Solved "Screen Overlay Detected" On My Android Device by hoilakes(m): 11:14pm On Apr 07, 2021
Woow thanks for sharing this... really helpful grin

(1) (Reply)

Samsung FRP 2017 For All S6, S7, S8, Note 5 And Note 7 / Smartphone With The Biggest Battery Life And Most Affordable / TECNO Pouvoir 2 Air Complete Specifications, Review And Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.