Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,597 members, 7,809,168 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:36 AM

Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera (1176 Views)

How Wildlife Photographers Get Their Contents (photos) / 10 Creative Nigerian Photographers That Are Making Waves / Common Mistakes Most Photographers In Nigeria Make All The Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 22, 2017
We have all been to the cinema before to catch a particular movie, did you all notice that unique feel cinematic movies have? The film look is simply all about getting images(footages) that deserves to be on the big screen. Most DSRL and mirrorless camera today have either HD, FULLHD, Ultra HD or 4K capabilities. Even the most basic entry level DSRL or Mirroless camera manufactured around 2012 down to 2017, have at least HD shooting capabilities. You don’t really need that video camera of 4million Naira to get that film look, your DRSL or mirrorless camera is just sufficient.
In this article, we will be showing you guys how to achieve that film look with your cheap DSRL or mirrorless camera. Follow these outlines carefully to get that ultimate film look and feel:

RESOLUTION
You need to set your camera to a resolution you plan on shooting in. I will advise you to always go with the highest resolution provided by your camera in order to maximize quality.
Frame Rate And Shutter Speed
In other to achieve that film look on your camera, there are a few more settings you need to mess around with. We are gonna start with the frame rate. Firstly, set your camera to 24fps, use 25fps if your camera doesn’t have an option for 24fps. Cinematic movies are always shot in 24fps or 25fps. The next thing is to set your shutter speed, which should be twice your set frame rate. For example, if your set frame rate is 24ps, then your shutter speed should be 24×2= 1/48seconds rounded up to give you 1/50seconds. Also, if you are shooting 60fps then your shutter speed should be 60×2=1/120seconds.
ISO/APERTURE SETTINGS
Be wary of high ISO settings as this could lead to digital noise and discoloration. As a rule of thumb, don’t let your ISO speed go beyond 1600. You can experiment with any f-stop value of your choice but if you intend to get that nice and blurred out background, then you are better off shooting wide open with f-stop values of f1.2 down to at least f4. When you are shooting wide open in broad day light at times, even with the lowest ISO value, your images may tend to look overexposed. A quick fix for this is using a neutral density filter as they have the ability prevent about 3 stops of light from hitting your camera’s sensor.
CAMERA STABILIZER AND AUDIO
In order to get smooth and steady video clips, get yourself some sort of camera stabilizer like a gimbal, a steadishot, a tripod or even shoulder rig as your budget permits. Audio is very important too if you want to achieve the film look. Your on board camera mic is as good as useless when it comes to quality audio capture. Most cameras come with external an mic jack which allows videographers to plug in external microphones to capture audio of higher quality. Get yourself an external recorder if your camera lacks an external mic jack.

NB:

Always shoot with a flat profile, no sharpness, no contrast, just flat. You can add all that during post.
Videographers out there, what do you think?

http://www.fototech.com.ng/nigerian-photographershow-achieve-film-look-cheap-dsrl-camera/

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 22, 2017
Lalasticlala Mynd44 Seun Please o
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 1:15pm On Jul 23, 2017
So mr lecturer what is filmlook. What is cinematic feel pls don't just use words u know nothing about.
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 23, 2017
JustCalMeDBoss:
So mr lecturer what is filmlook. What is cinematic feel pls don't just use words u know nothing about.

Maybe you didn't read the intro, where I talked about the "big screen", I talk about going to the cinema and making your DSRL movies look like it was shot on film.
Is it so hard to understand?
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 2:46pm On Jul 23, 2017
Omagzee:

Maybe you didn't read the intro, where I talked about the "big screen", I talk about going to the cinema and making your DSRL movies look like it was shot on film.
Is it so hard to understand?

I still don't get you. Is shooting for the big screen equals filmic, or is it only film that is meant to be on big screen but my question is what is filmic, what is cinematic. Are the two thesame. Most digital medium from the top end manufacturers have surpassed film in terms of resolution, color but they are still not filmic.
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 23, 2017
JustCalMeDBoss:

I still don't get you. Is shooting for the big screen equals filmic, or is it only film that is meant to be on big screen but my question is what is filmic, what is cinematic. Are the two thesame. Most digital medium from the top end manufacturers have surpassed film in terms of resolution, color but they are still not filmic.

In order to understand my point, you need to understand "film". Before the coming of digital video cameras, movies were shoot with "film" cameras which always had that traditional "film" look which was always shown on the big screen(cinema). I agree with you that there are bad ass digital video cameras that surpasses film cameras in terms of everything, but directors with such camera always strive to make footages from their bad ass camera look like “film" and that's why they shoot in 24fps which will give you that film look. It's not about colors and resolution, its more like something about the frames and 24fps=film look and film look="deserves to be shown on the cinema"

Sometimes directors shoot in some other frame just achieve a particular effect.
No matter what, the film cameras of yester years have already set the standard for film, and you and I must stick to that standard, although everyone is free to explore.
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 3:42pm On Jul 23, 2017
Omagzee:

In order to understand my point, you need to understand "film". Before the coming of digital video cameras, movies were shoot with "film" cameras which always had that traditional "film" look which was always shown on the big screen(cinema). I agree with you that there are bad ass digital video cameras that surpasses film cameras in terms of everything, but directors with such camera always strive to make footages from their bad ass camera look like “film" and that's why they shoot in 24fps which will give you that film look. It's not about colors and resolution, its more like something about the frames and 24fps=film look and film look="deserves to be shown on the cinema"

Sometimes directors shoot in some other frame just achieve a particular effect.
No matter what, the film cameras of yester years have already set the standard for film, and you and I must stick to that standard, although everyone is free to explore.

I do think there is a difference between a cinematic look and a film look. I would say the cinematic look is about what's in the frame, how it's lit, blocked and graded. Things that you can do with both digital and film. Then there are things about shooting with film that are peculiar to film, like film grain, motion cadence,how film represents shade and color, how it responds to light, and how it ages and degrades.

24fps is a digital cinema initiative standard
Re: Nigerian Photographers:how To Achieve The Film Look With Your Cheap DSRL Camera by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 23, 2017
JustCalMeDBoss:

I do think there is a difference between a cinematic look and a film look. I would say the cinematic look is about what's in the frame, how it's lit, blocked and graded. Things that you can do with both digital and film. Then there are things about shooting with film that are peculiar to film, like film grain, motion cadence,how film represents shade and color, how it responds to light, and how it ages and degrades.

24fps is a digital cinema initiative standard

Yes, I agree this is not an in dept article, I just used generic terms to provide an easy summarization route.

You can add film grain during post which makes sense when I said directors still want to mimic that film look with their digital rig.

(1) (Reply)

The Drawing Of Ronaldo By Al Mutinu Without Painting / Graphic Design Family / Where Can I Learn Graphics Designs In Port Harcourt???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.