Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,115 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:18 AM

Engineering English: My Observation - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Engineering English: My Observation (375 Views)

My Observation On Jamb / Jamb2017:my Observation And Testimony / Irregularities In 2017 Jamb Registration:my Observation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Engineering English: My Observation by a0if(m): 11:12pm On Jul 22, 2017
Engineering English: My observation

My observations so far have proven that some tertiary institution students are deficient in both spoken and written English. This is especially rampant among the Engineering students(in my environment). Every time they reflect this pathetic situation, they come up with excuses like, ' i am an engineering student.
All i do is to solve mathematics. English is not my course.'
Little did they know that spoken and written English potency is quintessential for every profession, no matter what.

The point is, is this general or just in my own view? What are the corrective measures that can be taken?
Please, if you're in anyway in this category, endeavour to change.
Re: Engineering English: My Observation by tobillionaire(m): 11:25pm On Jul 22, 2017
goan tell Chinese engineers to start speaking English na
Re: Engineering English: My Observation by nextprince: 11:55pm On Jul 22, 2017
OP, while not holding brief for engineering students/graduates in this regard, I put it to you that your written English is deficient, especially, in the light of what you preach. You don't go to equity with soiled hands.

Of course an engineering student has no excuse for being poor in grammar and other simple writing & speaking skills, but certainly you don't expect him/her to be as proficient as journalists, lawyers etc whose trainings and practices are arguably tailored towards writing & speaking.

The converse applies to non engineering students/graduates in the case of Mathematics. A non engineering student has no valid excuse for being deficient in the knowledge of simple mathematics, but certainly not expected to be proficient in some advanced mathematics like Calculus & advanced trigonometry. General Mathematics is a subject taught at O'Level and indeed a requirement for admission into institutions of higher learning for several non engineering courses. But how many non engineering students/graduates can solve simple unknowns in single linear & non linear equations, simple trig, topics well treated at the level of jss 2/3 in secondary schools? Very few, and what are their excuses, "I'm not a science student".

So, forget that thing, leave matter for matthias, dey your lane jeje and allow us on our lane.

Fyi, I'm an engineer by training and practice.

1 Like

Re: Engineering English: My Observation by oldfoolnigger(m): 12:11am On Jul 23, 2017
lol

(1) (Reply)

Official Ogwash Uku Poly Thread / Team Nigeria In Cfo Global Competition / 91-year-old Woman Bags Bachelor’s Degree

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.