Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? (11685 Views)

Where The Phrase The Car Is Just "Turninoninown" Came From! / What Car Is The Most Popular For Women In Nigeria? / The 2017 Mazda Vision Car Is The Most Beautiful Sedan You've Ever Seen (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by 2aces(m): 11:11am On Jul 24, 2017
Hello carlanders, most folks believe when a car engine oil becomes dark, it mean the engine is due for service, and the darker the oil, the more concerned you should be about the maintenance of your vehicle even when you might have done service a month before.

Ill need the assistance of car gurus in the house to help on this matter.
Thanks

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by LubexFGOil: 11:19am On Jul 24, 2017
It's not all the time that dark oil determines changing of oil (lube service).

2 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Lexusgs430: 12:42pm On Jul 24, 2017
Dark like bitumen? Or slightly brown (like when you have only used it to fry plantain 10 times)?

When last was the vehicle fully serviced? And how many miles clocked after service?

2 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by b2212(m): 2:33pm On Jul 24, 2017
2aces:
Hello carlanders, most folks believe when a car engine oil becomes dark, it mean the engine is due for service, and the darker the oil, the more concerned you should be about the maintenance of your vehicle even when you might have done service a month before.

Thanks
Hope that is not the oil you want to use in servicing that KIA?

NOt sure it is the correct weight o.

Gazzuzz

8 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:45pm On Jul 24, 2017

10 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by brojero: 4:05pm On Jul 24, 2017
Two main things to consider:
1. Km covered since last oil change
2. Time since last oil change

In our extreme Nigerian conditions, change your oil every 3000km. If you can afford to use a smaller interval, say 2000 km the better
Your engine will last much longer

If not sure then change every 6 weeks

But better to go by mileage

To answer your initial question best to Change oil now and then follow above guide

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by 2aces(m): 6:36pm On Jul 24, 2017
Lexusgs430:
Dark like bitumen? Or slightly brown (like when you have only used it to fry plantain 10 times)?

When last was the vehicle fully serviced? And how many miles clocked after service?
Slightly brown bro

1 Like

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jul 24, 2017
1) Send oil to lab for testing.

2) Track via app as linked

Easy Peasy.

Are you really going to use what looks like single weight in that car?

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 24, 2017
Lexusgs430:

"Fry plantain 10 times"

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 24, 2017
2aces:

Thanks

Nice oil... Kill your engine by yerself ... Gazzuzz how much is this engine?

4 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Lexusgs430: 8:47pm On Jul 24, 2017
dumo1:

"Fry plantain 10 times"

Abi nah fry akara 6 times? Help me out nah Oga.... Don't laugh at me.....

1 Like

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by ogawisdom(m): 7:25am On Jul 25, 2017
No no and no

B4 u run a brand new oil for one month it's usually very dark
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by soberdrunk(m): 7:25am On Jul 25, 2017
See all the 'car ajebutters' above speaking big grammar, it's obvious they are driving 'vip cars'. If car start, i put am for reverse 'he enter', no weird 'loud' noise, no smoke, no jerking then it is not due for service..... angry angry

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Babaalawo: 7:25am On Jul 25, 2017
it can be changed after every 5000 milleage or every three months depending on the car usage.

2 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Lighthouseman: 7:28am On Jul 25, 2017
Service when viscosity is low or absent. That's the utmost determinant for oil change since most people don't monitor their mileage before servicing.
To check viscosity, tap the oil with the edge of your fingers. If it's a elastic then u continue but if it has lost this component and is black then go for service. Also ensure u change oil filters each round of service to avoid an engine knock

7 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Dlee1(m): 7:34am On Jul 25, 2017
2aces:

Thanks
The engine oil in your engine have turned black? You are killing your engine. Change it when it is brown and not when it is black. Now that the engine oil black, the piston and rings must be wearing out since the oil is no longer sticky. Any time your oil is brown, tap it with your finger tip and know if it is sticky or not. Change it immediately it is no longer sticky and don't wait for it to turn black before changing it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Nobody: 7:41am On Jul 25, 2017
Engine oil should not be dark, when it becomes dark it should be changed, remember engine oils clean the engine, so are transparent when bought new.

The SAE40 I see is good for diesel engines, dont know if that engine is diesel.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by tuoyoojo(m): 7:47am On Jul 25, 2017
I change my oil after every 5000 to 6000km or after every three months which ever that comes first

aggressive driving is one way to make ones engine oil "burn" quicker than normal

so go easy on the throttle

speaking from my experience though

3 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by suavetony(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2017
Not sure that is the right oil to use. Please switch to multigrades' SAE engine oil e.g. 20W-50W. It performs better than single grade for tropical climates though synthetic oil remains the best if you can afford it. Please change the oil and stop using single grade engine oils.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by omakay(m): 8:07am On Jul 25, 2017
suavetony:
Not sure that is the right oil to use. Please switch to multigrades' SAE engine oil e.g. 20W-50W. It performs better than single grade for tropical climates though synthetic oil remains the best if you can afford it. Please change the oil and stop using single grade engine oils.

please help us talk more on types of oils to use on types of engines. For example, i use a toyota camry 2001 and i discovered recently that my addiction to Mobil and Total Oil might not be the recommended addiction. Also tell us more on these synthetic oils.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by autotrader2: 8:27am On Jul 25, 2017
omakay:

please help us talk more on types of oils to use on types of engines. For example, i use a toyota camry 2001 and i discovered recently that my addiction to Mobil and Total Oil might not be the recommended addiction. Also tell us more on these synthetic oils.

This is what you need in that your Camry.

Check out my thread on how to get it with free shipping
https://www.nairaland.com/2880651/us-engine-oils-toyota-motor/32

1 Like

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by omakay(m): 8:32am On Jul 25, 2017
autotrader2:

This is what you need in that your Camry.

Check out my thread on how to get it with free shipping
https://www.nairaland.com/2880651/us-engine-oils-toyota-motor/32

How many litres per container?

How much is each container?
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by autotrader2: 8:36am On Jul 25, 2017
omakay:

How many litres per container?

How much is each container?

1 Litre/Quart per bottle. Price is 3k per bottle. Free shipping to your location Nationwide (overnight). Your car needs 5 Litres so that's 15k total .
You can also choose to buy the carton of 12 Litres and enjoy tremendous value wink

1 Like

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by mechanics(m): 9:01am On Jul 25, 2017
The oil has to be changed including the oil filter.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by dljbd1(m): 9:09am On Jul 25, 2017

2 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by suavetony(m): 9:13am On Jul 25, 2017
omakay:

The best guide is the car instruction manual. What autotrader2 posted is very good for all Toyota products if you have the fund. The photo I shared is a very good alternative as well to minimize cost. Been using it 2yrs+ in my corolla 2010.

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jul 25, 2017
dljbd1:

the business man is here grin
I love this guy jare
always looking for who to love Ade.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by dljbd1(m): 9:28am On Jul 25, 2017
Zerotraffic:
always looking for who to love Ade.
wtf shocked

angry
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by autotrader2: 9:31am On Jul 25, 2017
suavetony:

The best guide is the car instruction manual. What autotrader2 posted is very good for all Toyota products if you have the fund. The photo I shared is a very good alternative as well to minimize cost. Been using it 2yrs+ in my corolla 2010.

That your 2010 Corolla actually requires 5w20 oil. See picture. It is also available at the same price and free shipping Nationwide

2 Likes

Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by suavetony(m): 9:43am On Jul 25, 2017
autotrader2:

That your 2010 Corolla actually requires 5w20 oil. See picture. It is also available at the same price and free shipping Nationwide
I know autotrader2...used it when I bought the corolla newly but some engine oil provides similar performance like Mobil 20W-50 XHP and is readily available. Had to switch based on research and recommendation. But if prospective buyers are in doubt...they should please go for the one recommended by Toyota.
Re: Does A Dark Engine Oil Means A Car Is Due For Service??? by nanizle(m): 10:59am On Jul 25, 2017
2aces:

Thanks

Engine oil color is not a reliable indicator of oil condition. What you should use instead is mileage as recommended by the car maker or oil manufacturer.

Engine oil can go 5000-15000 miles between changes depending on brand.

It's perfectly normal for engine oil to become darker as it absorb soot and other contaminants from the combustion process.

What you should really be concerned about is your oil filter which removes soot, dust, dirt, sludge and other solid contaminants from the oil. It's not a bad idea to replace filters every 4months.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Understanding your car's Check Engine light / My Car Takes Like 3 cranks attempt Before It Starts. / Symptoms Of Bad Or Failing Brake Pads

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.