Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,748 members, 7,820,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Sweet Potato Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Sweet Potato Farming (5636 Views)

The Step By Step Process Of Potato Farming In Nigeria. / Is It Profitable To Invest 250k In Sweet Potato Farming? / Sweet Potato Farming (aug To Nov 2018) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sweet Potato Farming by KingShayDee(m): 7:11pm On Jul 24, 2017
Goodevening Nlanders
I have been thinking of branching into sweet potato farming recently as there is high demand and it's also profitable, i need someone with expert advice who is currently a sweet potato farmer.

What are the pros and cons?

What is the cost implication to starting on a 1ha farm?

How much does a ton cost?

Finally where do i get buyers?

Thank you
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by greenhope(m): 4:32am On Jul 25, 2017
What variety do you want to plant?
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by nurey(m): 12:24pm On Jul 25, 2017
Southwest (abeokuta)

Sweet Potato don't do well in water prone soil, means they may not like too much rain too as too much water will cause root rot.

With optimum land preparation glyphospate + paraqat and proper ridges, you are good to go weed free land you can plant 2weeks after just to douse the effect.

Sweet Potato is planted with stem cuttings the tip is the best planting material taken from an adult plant with length 30cm of the vine. An average of 20tonnes of fresh weight/hectare equivalent to 6tons of dry matter. Planted between March and April and late rains between august and September.

You plant on ridges for proper tuberisation and have a 1m spacing between the field and adjoining lands to avoid rodents feeding off your roots. Water in the soil reduces tuber formation.

Sweet Potato is a runner, will cover the soil in no time and woe betide any weed growing after the vines have established but you may just need to rogue the field. 25 to 30cm on ridges about 60 to 75cm apart.

The major attack on the root is nematodes who bore into them, with proper ploughing you can eliminate this threats.

I carried out a research on this in 2014 and I planted 7 varieties result of my field experiment
TIS8164 AND OLOKUTA were the best which made good use of the nutrient available to them (I used an organic fertilizer 50kg for 3 plots)

OLOKUTA had the best dry matter weight of the varieties means will be good for processing into flour.

NSRP/05/2D had the highest number of branches and the highest tuber yield weight.

The vines were gotten from National root crop research Institute in ibadan (it was gotten by my supervisor).

Goodluck

4 Likes

Re: Sweet Potato Farming by agricexport(m): 1:48pm On Jul 25, 2017
we have a plan to set up this potatoes farming for our members, can you help us out?
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by KingShayDee(m): 10:23pm On Jul 25, 2017
greenhope:
What variety do you want to plant?
I dont know the varieties but i want to plant a variety that high yielding and pest resistant
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by KingShayDee(m): 10:25pm On Jul 25, 2017
nurey:
Southwest (abeokuta)

Sweet Potato don't do well in water prone soil, means they may not like too much rain too as too much water will cause root rot.

With optimum land preparation glyphospate + paraqat and proper ridges, you are good to go weed free land you can plant 2weeks after just to douse the effect.

Sweet Potato is planted with stem cuttings the tip is the best planting material taken from an adult plant with length 30cm of the vine. An average of 20tonnes of fresh weight/hectare equivalent to 6tons of dry matter. Planted between March and April and late rains between august and September.

You plant on ridges for proper tuberisation and have a 1m spacing between the field and adjoining lands to avoid rodents feeding off your roots. Water in the soil reduces tuber formation.

Sweet Potato is a runner, will cover the soil in no time and woe betide any weed growing after the vines have established but you may just need to rogue the field. 25 to 30cm on ridges about 60 to 75cm apart.

The major attack on the root is nematodes who bore into them, with proper ploughing you can eliminate this threats.

I carried out a research on this in 2014 and I planted 7 varieties result of my field experiment
TIS8164 AND OLOKUTA were the best which made good use of the nutrient available to them (I used an organic fertilizer 50kg for 3 plots)

OLOKUTA had the best dry matter weight of the varieties means will be good for processing into flour.

NSRP/05/2D had the highest number of branches and the highest tuber yield weight.

The vines were gotten from National root crop research Institute in ibadan (it was gotten by my supervisor).

Goodluck
Thanks for your update but can i have your contact
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by nurey(m): 7:25am On Jul 26, 2017
KingShayDee:
Thanks for your update but can i have your contact
Call or Whatsapp the number in my signature
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by KingShayDee(m): 7:31am On Jul 26, 2017
nurey:

Call or Whatsapp the number in my signature

I sent you a dm on whatapp kindly check
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by BOSTAK: 7:37am On May 13, 2018
Can I have your number as I want to start potato farming too, thanks
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by javu75: 11:14pm On Aug 26, 2018
Please I would like to know which state in Nigeria has the highest number of potato farm as I have been planing to go into the distribution and marketing business
Re: Sweet Potato Farming by kunleweb: 4:31pm On Aug 27, 2018
agricexport:
we have a plan to set up this potatoes farming for our members, can you help us out?

Do you need farm setup researchers? If so, do contact me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Sweet Potato Farming by magret10: 1:03pm On Oct 24, 2022
Pls sir I need ur no or u can dm me 08181169125 I want to venture into it

(1) (Reply)

Nobody Is Talking About Sheep Rearing Here / Buy Ur Farm Mechines And Tools Like Tractors,irrigation Tools Etc. / Nigeria Earns N261.9b From Agric Exports In Second Quarter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.