Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,284 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

An Alternative To Nysc Through Nysc - Explained - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / An Alternative To Nysc Through Nysc - Explained (614 Views)

The Letter A Herbalist Wrote To NYSC To Redeploy A Corper In Camp (Photo) / 9 Lessons No One Taught Me Before Going To NYSC Camp / NYSC: Things You Must Take Along To NYSC Camp To Avoid Stress (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

An Alternative To Nysc Through Nysc - Explained by yemipedro(m): 8:01am On Jul 25, 2017
AN ALTERNATIVE TO NYSC THROUGH NYSC

I am a very passionate and patriotic citizen of Nigeria and I want to direct this to people at the top. Nigeria's problems need no introduction, so I will just go ahead and profer a solution.
The national youth service is one of the standing identity of Nigeria. Almost every graduate must pass through this and the number of graduates per year is over 500,000 which means a good number of Nigerians undergo this yearly.
The problems Nigeria face include UNEMPLOYMENT, bad economy, crime etc. And most graduates (>90%) finish service and are still unemployed, they join the uncountable unemployed and wait for next batch to join them. There are no jobs, that's almost true and the economy is trying hard to create jobs, empower people, support small and medium businesses etc, and millions if not billions are spent on youth service ( the Corp members and officials) on a yearly basis. And on, and on.

My own version of a solution is this why not use the service year to empower graduates to create real lasting jobs and not just a year in which many of the Corp members are teaching where they don't want to, looking for ways to dodge CDS, boycott PPAs, most are actually not adding value where they are, and after a year, they are all flushed out and new set are taken in,.. Repeat. And while this is going on 20,000(19,800) x 12 = 240,000 has been misused by a corper. And for say 300,000 Corp members a year = 72Billion Naira Per year. Only God knows how many businesses 72BN can start per year. it could transform a continent if not the whole world.

Corp members consists of graduate from different fields and specialization which means they are competent at least to an extent. The orientation camp is good, it's perfect, it can be called reorientation camp, it could be for 4weeks if needed, but this Avenue could be used to gather people of different field, pair them (say 3-5 or 8-10) and start a company/organisation. Give them necessary knowledge and instead of monthly allowance, give them the money quarterly for a year. Sharpen their skill, and give them resources let them use the one year to develop and see the wonders that would happen. The officials, LIs, ZIs, etc. Will monitor and supervise them, motivate and support them. And we are sure after a year people still have jobs, more companies, more jobs created, new innovation, economic growth etc.

For Example

Agriculturists could be partnered together, probably add an engineer to help mechanise the process, give them a plot of land or two, give them resources, empower them with skill and let them cultivate or rear poultry animals, or fish farming, or snail etc. Make them business oriented and tell me 240,000 yearly allowance X 5 graduates = 1.2 mil Tell me if 1.2M will not start a good Agric Farm with 5graduates working on it. I believe in 3months they will start employing people. They'll feed from their company.
NB: Nigeria has enough land
It could be planting a crop, say cassava, cocoa, maize, rice etc. The options are just too much And let the officials, LIs, oversee them from time to time. Nigeria of recent are trying to go aggressive on agriculture, this could be a way of growth, and besides agriculture can be practised by anybody in any field or specialization, this can engage over 60% of the Corp members and cause massive growth in the country. It could be in production, processing or in packaging/marketing/distribution.

Engineers and Scientists can be paired to form ICT/Technology companies, Nigerians are very talented and skillful, look at the apps and softwares they develop, even zukkeberg came around last year to harness talents, people have touted Africa/Nigeria as the next Tech hub in the world. In my time in camp I related with very talented individuals and same applies to other camps. These are graduates from Electrical, Software, Computer, Mechanical, Systems, Mechatronics, etc either in science or engineering from very good institutions. With capital of 1.2Million Naira and 5 good programmers, Engineers, all you can do is imagine. It could be in software, or even hardwares. Producing toothpicks, pencils, gadgets etc. for non computer related courses. With proper advanced training, support and empowerment, Supervision by officials too, It will create jobs that will last more than the 12 months service.

There are managers and management graduates, they could be partnered with these new organizations to help with management. Accountants and Economists can also be fixed up in the midst of these organizations. By this way, we are serving Nigeria and securing futures, creating jobs and companies.
There are graduates of Art, Photography, Etc. Empower them, train them, provide avenues and resources, Many people with ideas, they could be partnered to start Studios, galleries, movie crew, etc. These things create actually job that will sustain and employ people.

There are graduates with unique talents and skills waiting for more training and funds to create jobs with them, say furniture making, carving, welding, shoe making, Unique fashion skills. etc. If they are partnered and given needed resources. We are creating jobs.
I fully understand the idea of NYSC which is to bring people together and cause unity and growth, which other way could be Better for all these goals than working for national growth. This is not to scrap the scheme, but modify that same scheme to grow the country. Graduates can be posted to different states, hold the re-orientation, advanced training, Given resources and paired, advice them and start forming companies.

It is correct that maybe not all will be inducted in the program, the Medical Doctors, Pharmacist will serve in Hospitals, Medical Agencies. Lawyers will serve in Courts and Chambers and people with limited graduates in their fields. Some people can be posted to companies and Higher institutions and Educational parastatals when need, But the vast majority of the graduates should be used for this scheme to create and secure our future. For states that pay monthly stipends, all theses resources would be a plus. At the end of the service year, Nigeria have more working class people and not more unemployed people.

Let's Assume 35% of these new businesses/company/organization turns into success and 7% become multinational companies. In 5-10years Nigeria will notice significant economic growth, Even exportation could be an option then. This is not a money making strategy, but a national growth scheme.
If the Government want to help the Graduates, Empower them with resources and Avenue, set them up for a free and secured future. Many have been applying for funds, trainings, empowerment, resources to grow and start up but have not gotten. This could bring change to things.

In reality there could be few failures, maybe more than a few ( it's expected) let's look at the good this could do, to everyone involved and moreso what do we get loose if we do this, afterall at least 72B Naira is used on Serving Corp members yearly and these people pass out and join an already crowded unemployed people. It would be a lucrative investment to spread this 72B Naira in creating real jobs that can employ people, produce goods, even export when this is produced in mass.

(1) (Reply)

Edo Ex Corp Members Cry For Help Over Unpaid Oct/nov Alawee / PRACTICAL FIRST - AID TRAINING / I Need Ur Advice People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.