Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,332 members, 7,819,139 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering (20601 Views)

Moses Adebowale Ogunbiyi Slumps And Dies (UNIOSUN Civil Engineering Dept HOD) / Chemical Engineering Vs Computer Science Which Has More Calculations??? / Petroleum Engineering Vs Mechanical Engineering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 10:40am On Jul 28, 2017
adanny01:

Funny you have experience with chemical and mechanical but non on civil.

Dont think that the introduction to civil engineering been taught in 200l in the Nigerian curriculum exposes you to what civil engineering is.

The bolded is absolutely wrong.

No two civil engineers would design a building, bridge or road and come out with one definite answer. There is even no answer in civil engineering. However, from calculations we only recommend. Recommedations are also guided by rules and bounded with ranges and limits. This is what makes civil engineering difficult.

Instead of the nonexistent reason you gave, i think the reason civil engineering appears more difficult especially with low graduation results is because most intelligent engineering students usually go for more lucrative courses such as Chemical, mechanical and electrical engineering. We all know civil is not as lucrative and competitive like its counterparts especially as demanded by oil companies which are the major employers of engineers in Nigeria.

The best brains in Chemical and mechanical engineering during my school days are all oil company staff today. The best guy in civil engineering is still a hustler in Abj making very little money compared to his chemical and mechanical counterparts.

How many children do you hear say i want to be a civil engineer. They either say i want to become a chemical engineer or mechanical engineer. So during admissions the best compete for chemical and mechanical. This who are good but do not get mechanical are through to Agric, metallurgical or civil engineering.
Civil engineering maybe tougher than mechanical but certainly not close to Chemical. Chemical is a course u won't want to come close to if u don't have a strong mind. Only transport phenomena covers fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Chemical thermodynamics is not like normal engineering thermo. Mass transfer is now the crazy then reaction engineering the craziest.
Control engineering is done by both Mechanical and chemical I don't think civil offers it. Wen bode and Nyquist plot fall on u den u will unde

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 10:42am On Jul 28, 2017
For those thinking having more than one first degree is impossible....

Meet Prof. S. N. E. Omorodion, Dept of Chemical Engineering, University of Benin. grin

He is a "MAD MAN" cheesy

1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Joenyam(m): 10:44am On Jul 28, 2017
Civil Engineering is more difficult than Chemical, Civil engineering world over have very competitive slots in admission.
Civil engineering is way broader than chemical engineering with ties to hydro, wind electricity generation.
what can be more difficult than studying fluid/water/wind events, designing structures to accommodate them, what can be more difficult than studying soil and its geotechnical patterns, or remote sensing, geo surveys. I can go on and on.
From where I graduated from Chemical and petroleum engineering are the babies of the faculty, with the least number of courses offered.
Someone bases just in chemistry, little maths and physics being compared with a major in maths, physics, chemistry, biology (sanitary aspect, BOD, COD).

My brother you can't compare Chemical to Civil Engineering. People don't just make their research.

The other said Civil is drawing, where? its not architecture.
Branches of Civil
Offshore Engineering
Geotechnical Engineering
Structural and Fire safety Enginnering
Hydrography
Transport/Highway Engineering
Sanitary and Environmental Engineering
Dredging Engineering
Geosurvey, remote sensing, photogrammetry, informatics engineering.

All with ties to fields like, oil and gas (offshore), building, transport, sanitary and environmental protection, meteorological fields, power generation (wind, hydro), soil, dams and hydraulic structures, I can go on and on.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 10:58am On Jul 28, 2017
Joenyam:
Civil Engineering is more difficult than Chemical, Civil engineering world over have very competitive slots in admission.
Civil engineering is way broader than chemical engineering with ties to hydro, wind electricity generation.
what can be more difficult than studying fluid/water/wind events, designing structures to accommodate them, what can be more difficult than studying soil and its geotechnical patterns, or remote sensing, geo surveys. I can go on and on.
From where I graduated from Chemical and petroleum engineering are the babies of the faculty, with the least number of courses offered.
Someone bases just in chemistry, little maths and physics being compared with a major in maths, physics, chemistry, biology (sanitary aspect, BOD, COD).

My brother you can't compare Chemical to Civil Engineering. People don't just make their research.

The other said Civil is drawing, where? its not architecture.
Branches of Civil
Offshore Engineering
Geotechnical Engineering
Structural and Fire safety Enginnering
Hydrography
Transport/Highway Engineering
Sanitary and Environmental Engineering
Dredging Engineering
Geosurvey, remote sensing, photogrammetry, informatics engineering.

All with ties to fields like, oil and gas (offshore), building, transport, sanitary and environmental protection, meteorological fields, power generation (wind, hydro), soil, dams and hydraulic structures, I can go on and on.
Chemical? chemistry and little maths? u know nothing at all. The day u go near biochemical engineering u will know that structural engineering is still learning. Have u ever started a solution by guessing the values of the parameters and after spending 30mins the result doesn't converge u come back and guess again? then welcome to mass transfer. Can u generate 5 simultaneous equations in one problem welcome to optimization, Can u dissect a reaction using integration by parts, welcome to Reaction engineering, I can go on and on not forgetting polymer engineering. Lest I forget Analysis where second ODE is a child's play
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:04am On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:

Civil Engineering na drawing ooooh unless FUTA own dey diff grin grin
Not normal drawing like artist ooooh
Drawing? na was o!
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Joenyam(m): 11:06am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

Chemical? chemistry and little maths? u know nothing at all. The day u go near biochemical engineering u will know that structural engineering is still learning. Have u ever started a solution by guessing the values of the parameters and after spending 30mins the result doesn't converge u come back and guess again? then welcome to mass transfer. Can u generate 5 simultaneous equations in one problem welcome to optimization, Can u dissect a reaction using integration by parts, welcome to Reaction engineering, I can go on and on not forgetting polymer engineering. Lest I forget Analysis where second ODE is a child's play
Simultaneous Equation, 2nd ODE.lol.... go read up you can't compare the maths in Chemical to Civil. one of the most difficult aspects of mathematics is complex analysis, offered by Civil, electrical, mechanical and pure mathematicians. Don't drag this make your research.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by seunny4lif(m): 11:20am On Jul 28, 2017
Qudus94:
how will you say civil engineering is drawing? what then happens to concrete design, steel design, geotechnical, water resources(what do you draw in that?), highway?
my brother you need to chill
Bro all na still drawing now
Calculation and drawing grin grin
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by bomsilaga(m): 11:41am On Jul 28, 2017
Donald3d:
its chemical engineering now
Here is a rule of thumb i always use when it has to do with science and judging what is easy and what is not :
The closer you move to atoms or electrons the tougher it becomes
Civil engineering is very far away from atoms and electrons (mostly physical stuff iron rod)
Electrical Engineering is tougher than civil(i did electrical,you are very close to electrons and atoms ,especially dealing with their motion)
Chemical Engineering is toughest among these three (because it actually deals with combination of this atoms and electrons to form something new)
The bottom line is nothing is hard ,you just have to love what u do
If you get a course you dont like ,try to change it to what u love ,if you cant change try to fall in love with it.
As my father would say,nothing is hard or difficult,you just dont know it .
To talk about atoms as a basis for comparison is just weak.
In civil engineering stresses that cannot be seen are observed and predicted.
I'm a civil engineer and a good one at that but I am far from 50% of the difficulty civil engineering has to offer.
Every single thing you can see has a civil engineering application not just the physical but abstractly also on how they are in constant stress and strain.
I stop here

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by bomsilaga(m): 11:43am On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

Please ask of plasticity and elasticity.
Submit your findings here
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by bomsilaga(m): 11:44am On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:

Bro all na still drawing now
Calculation and drawing grin grin
Drawing is less than 10% in civil engineering. Be informed
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by DONADAMS(m): 11:59am On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:

Yes
Maths and pyhysic
that's just in the first year and probably the second year...its the elementary aspect
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by seunny4lif(m): 12:02pm On Jul 28, 2017
DONADAMS:
that's just in the first year and probably the second year...its the elementary aspect
Full 2nd year
Its craze but those maths make me hate maths
Just 1 question and 1 hour later person never calculate finish
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 12:07pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

Civil engineering maybe tougher than mechanical but certainly not close to Chemical. Chemical is a course u won't want to come close to if u don't have a strong mind. Only transport phenomena covers fluid mechanics, heat transfer and thermodynamics. Chemical thermodynamics is not like normal engineering thermo. Mass transfer is now the crazy then reaction engineering the craziest.
Control engineering is done by both Mechanical and chemical I don't think civil offers it. Wen bode and Nyquist plot fall on u den u will unde

Bros, i read civil engineering but didnt say civil is harder to mechanical or chemical.

I dont do that neither should you.

I think people are wired differently. Say within physics as an encompassing, i have strong areas where i have a greater grasp of the principles. Different engineering courses focus on different areas while others interlap.

Thermodynamics interlaps between chemical and mechanical, fluid mechanics between water resources, civil. Surveying and Geoinformatics between land surveying and civil.

However, civil engineers would have done less credit units on surveying and geoinformatics than land surveyors would.

No matter how much pipeline transportation is done by the chemical engineer, the civil or water resources engr would have done more credit units. No matter how much fluid mechanics i do as a civil engineer, a water resources engr would do more. No matter how much thermodynamics a chemical engr does, a mechamical engr does more. Engineering overlaps, but it does not mean one is more difficult to the other.

Above all, the core of structural engineering cannot be harder than the core of chemical engineering if i understand both principles very well.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by DONADAMS(m): 12:09pm On Jul 28, 2017
seunny4lif:
Full 2nd year Its craze but those maths make me hate maths Just 1 question and 1 hour later person never calculate finish
lol..na so..stay cool
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by DTruthman: 12:12pm On Jul 28, 2017
in civil you can almost relate with everything youre doing which makes it easier than chemical where most things are abstract. they have too many assumptions in xcal engrn....
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by kingjahjah(m): 12:34pm On Jul 28, 2017
go and study Architecture n know how hard it's.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Icecreamy: 1:07pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:
Mechanical is not even as hard as chemical talk less of civil. The truth is that in civil the calculations are somehow straight forward, u can know wen u arrive at the answer. but chemical, my brother it's too complex. Before anybody quotes me, I have a degree in chemical and mechanical. I will prefer writing mechanical exams compared to chemical. civil na their junior brother.
You are right
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 1:13pm On Jul 28, 2017
Joenyam:

Simultaneous Equation, 2nd ODE.lol.... go read up you can't compare the maths in Chemical to Civil. one of the most difficult aspects of mathematics is complex analysis, offered by Civil, electrical, mechanical and pure mathematicians. Don't drag this make your research.
as I said before I studied mechanical too. Mechanical is the simplest engineering course I know. Civil is way below chemical. I respect electrical for some reasons but the course is somehow straight .Chemical is a complete abstract course u can hardly visualize Wat u are learning unless u are into the industry itself. I think that name "chemical " is deceiving a lot of persons

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jul 28, 2017
ademoladeji:
Engineering profession is very tough irrespective of its branches. To rate between civil engineering and chemical engineering is just like rating between Ronaldo and Messi; Preference definitely will come to place.

To be sentimental, I am choosing Civil Engineering over Chemical Engineering. Reasons being that:
1. You can hardly get a 1st class in CVE but in CME, it's very normal.

2. Understanding Chemistry n Maths alone could be vital for CME but not in case of CVE because Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Geography , Statistics and even Law might not be enough.

3. CVE is the oldest form of Engineering which makes it an ancient entity with grave n complex problems.

All the same, both courses are great.

Chemical engineering attracted nationwide highest scoring UME/SSCE students in my time. In fact, my class was the most competitive in the whole of my university at that time, producing record number of first class in a year, including university valedictorian. Oil boom of the 80s made it so, because civil used to attract the best students in the past.

You have no idea about what chemical eng entails if you think it is just maths and chemistry. Look at it this way, chemical eng is about every field of science there is, from controlled drug delivery, tissue engineering, genetic engineering to advanced functional materials.

Energy and bulk chemicals are the traditional areas, and even that has evolved. In the past, most chemical engineers would work in oil and gas related energy fields like the upstream and downstream facilities, nowadays, more chemical engineers develop efficient photovoltaic cells from silicon or organic perovskites to harvest sunlight for electricity, you'll find chemical engineers working on electrocatalysts to split water into oxygen and hydrogen, and making electrodes for lithium ion batteries, designing batteries including new ones, like flow batteries.

The name chemical engineering is somewhat a misnomer, and some departments in the US are making changes to reflect this.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 1:22pm On Jul 28, 2017
adanny01:

Bros, i read civil engineering but didnt say civil is harder to mechanical or chemical.

I dont do that neither should you.

I think people are wired differently. Say within physics as an encompassing, i have strong areas where i have a greater grasp of the principles. Different engineering courses focus on different areas while others interlap.

Thermodynamics interlaps between chemical and mechanical, fluid mechanics between water resources, civil. Surveying and Geoinformatics between land surveying and civil.

However, civil engineers would have done less credit units on surveying and geoinformatics than land surveyors would.

No matter how much pipeline transportation is done by the chemical engineer, the civil or water resources engr would have done more credit units. No matter how much fluid mechanics i do as a civil engineer, a water resources engr would do more. No matter how much thermodynamics a chemical engr does, a mechamical engr does more. Engineering overlaps, but it does not mean one is more difficult to the other.

Above all, the core of structural engineering cannot be harder than the core of chemical engineering if i understand both principles very well.

objection. mechanical does thermodynamics as dept course only once. that is in 300L a related course is power plant engineering
A chemical student takes chemical thermodynamics as a depth course 3 times and plant design and process design as a related course. the only similarity between mechanical and chemicals thermo are the laws, power cycles and power plants, the rest are absolutely different.

U think civil is hard, please go and ask of process optimization or reaction engineering am yet to see any engineering courses more difficult than those two
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

lol
Don't bother about that. I did them quasi-simultaneously
Quasi-simultaneously?
Never heard of that.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2017
first of all, I laff at most the comments,cos they show gross ignorance of what civil engineering is all about,back then in Uniben,as a civil engineering student,we write a single exam for 9hrs and no two answers can ever b thesame, while other departments exams go for about 2-3hrs,the truth is that chemical engineering is more of a child's play when compared to civil engineering in all ramifications.
U cannot to design a single storey building in less than 12hrs, not to talk of a bridge or multi storey building.
WITHOUT BEING SENTIMENTAL,CIVIL ENGINEERING IS BY FAR HARDER THAN ANY ENGINEERING COURSE
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 1:55pm On Jul 28, 2017
drakespearz:
Civil Engineering calculations are more straight forward but chemical engineering is more complex.
So I'd say chemical engineering is more difficult.
Never underestimate any department in faculty of Engineering.
Before you start quoting me Upandan I have degrees in both.
Never knew this untill I tasted chemical engineering.
that is the biggest joke of the 21st century......most of my friends where all chemical engineering students,and I must tell u bro, even their best don't even stand a chance, I have seen several chemical calculations, .......I call dem 'akara' equations,......if u can lay ur hands on any civil design calculation sheet,u will know that JESUS IS LORD,..... but I'm of the view that u really have no idea of civil engineering.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 2:03pm On Jul 28, 2017
Yankiss:
Of course Chemical Engineering is tougher. I am talking from experience. I am a Chemical Engr. As student at the university of Lagos, we undertook courses in Civil Engineering up to year three. The reverse wasn't the case. Chemical Engineering had much more number of units to pass to graduate. The work load is unimaginable. The fact of more first class in Chemical Engineering is about volume of entrants. More and more brilliant students take to Chemical Engineering than to Civil. It is easy to understand. It is not rocket science. Again, much has to do with individual flair. What you regard as difficult is to another person, quite easy.
u did elementary strength of materials and statically determinate structure, and u concluded that u did civil engineering......u are really funny.
so u really want to compare heat and mass transfer,polymer and biochemistry to theory of structures,structural mechanics,prestresses and reinforced concrete design,foundation design,hydraulic structure designs?.....I pity u..by the time bending moment hit u, u can never walk straight.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by asamaigho(m): 2:13pm On Jul 28, 2017
hakeem4:
the only aspect of civil that's is tough is structures. I'd say chemical engineering is thougher

And civil engineering is 90% all about structures from Small buildings to
Multi storey building,to
Pile foundations,to
Bridges,to
Highway construction to
Tunnel design,to
Dams and sluice gate,
Roller coasters,
Railway designs,
Offshore platforms,
Airports,
Seaports,
Nuclear power stations,.....
non of these calculations involved can be compared to any calculations in any discipline....I stand to be corrected .

most people think that civil is all about concrete works,and survey.
who no go no know.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by richiepolymer(m): 2:59pm On Jul 28, 2017
Let's consider that the curriculum for both courses are not the same and uniform throughout our universities. The courses you will take as a chem engineering student in OAU is different from Uniben, Uniport and FUTmina. Though Civil engineering course structure looks more uniform across universities. A lot of factors play out when it comes to producing first class or third class. We know what studies in Nigeria is. So let's not even place emphasis on grades but in practice.
If you takes away crucial subjects in chemical engineering and occupy students with just stories about plant operations, of courses even the laziest student will have an 'A' .
No branch of engineering is easy.
Our grading system is based on cram and pass not really critical thinking.

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Seth2T: 3:06pm On Jul 28, 2017
Civil engineering is the oldest nd toughest cus it's deals with designing, analysis of imaginary structures, bs codes, Bill of quantity etc infact In civil u touch almost all branch of engineering be it computer, petroleum, mechanical electrical etc. there is even realistic evidence to this, ask ur self hw many institutions in Nigeria have first class graduates in civil but check chemical engineering, u will notice evry institution set of graduates in Nigeria has first class students each year in chemical engineering
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by Seth2T: 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2017
asamaigho:

Multi storey building,to
Pile foundations,to
Bridges,to
Highway construction to
Tunnel design,to
Dams and sluice gate,
Roller coasters,
Railway designs,
Offshore platforms,
Airports,
Seaports,
non of these calculations involved can be compared to any calculations in any discipline....I stand to be corrected .

who no go no know.
opp u forgot it's involves the study of water, public health, surveying, mining, programming etc

1 Like

Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 3:18pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

objection. mechanical does thermodynamics as dept course only once. that is in 300L a related course is power plant engineering
A chemical student takes chemical thermodynamics as a depth course 3 times and plant design and process design as a related course. the only similarity between mechanical and chemicals thermo are the laws, power cycles and power plants, the rest are absolutely different.

U think civil is hard, please go and ask of process optimization or reaction engineering am yet to see any engineering courses more difficult than those two

Am not a mechanical engineer.

If you are an engr you should know that refrigeration is a department in the mechanical engineering.

What is refrigeration based on if not thermodynamics? Does Chemical engineering have refrigeration dept?

Quote me where i said civil is hard?

Let me quote myself
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by zionmade(m): 3:22pm On Jul 28, 2017
adanny01:

Am not a mechanical engineer.

If you are an engr you should know that refrigeration is a department in the mechanical engineering.

What is refrigeration based on if not thermodynamics? Does Chemical engineering have refrigeration dept?

Quote me where i said civil is hard?

Let me quote myself
sorry refrigeration is just a 3 credit unit course and not a department. Yes it is an area under 2nd law of thermodynamics. Chemical thermodynamics covers refrigeration too but not as deep as in mechanical. The difference between the two is that while chemical centers on the mechanism, mechanical covers the accessories for constructing the refrigerating system
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2017
asamaigho:

Multi storey building,to
Pile foundations,to
Bridges,to
Highway construction to
Tunnel design,to
Dams and sluice gate,
Roller coasters,
Railway designs,
Offshore platforms,
Airports,
Seaports,

who no go no know.

You need to be corrected.

Let me remind you that in building Burg el Arab, several structural engineering firms didnot accept the challenge of designing the structure. If the calculations were such straight forward, who will reject it.

It seem you underestimate civil engineering analysis and design. Those are not straight forward calculations you saw in 200l if youare an engineer.
Re: Civil Engineering Vs Chemical Engineering by adanny01(m): 3:29pm On Jul 28, 2017
zionmade:

sorry refrigeration is just a 3 credit unit course and not a department. Yes it is an area under 2nd law of thermodynamics. Chemical thermodynamics covers refrigeration too but not as deep as in mechanical. The difference between the two is that while chemical centers on the mechanism, mechanical covers the accessories for constructing the refrigerating system

You've said it all.

Under the Nigerian undergraduate curriculum, the chemical engr cannot deal with refrigeration in the same level a mechanical engineer would.

I remember refrigeration labouratory in mechanical engineering department of ABU zaria but never seen that lab in chemical.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The LONGEST Word In The World / The Easiest Way Out For Broke (Poor) Students / Is 2008/2009 Neco Results Released?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.