Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,532 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science (1275 Views)

I Need Enlightenment On This Issue. / Impact Of Public Enlightenment On Tourism In Lagos State / Msc Actuarial Science Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 5:52pm On Jul 26, 2017
I'm aspiring a career path in Actuary and will like to ask one/two questions on the subject, processing Unilag and looking @ going for Actuary, really want to know more about the career from your experience and what subject is really core as an undergraduate student. I know it has to do with Mathematics, does this mean advanced mathematics is involved? Or in as much one is good with the basic mathematical calculations is good to go. Thanks
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by flexxyworld(m): 5:56pm On Jul 26, 2017
advance maths is really involved that's why further maths is among the requirement.. its under the department of business admin in unilag which people feel it's odd cus of the gross calculations involved in it.. just be sure you enjoy or will enjoy or learn too enjoy calculations but it's just gaining ground in nigeria as a whole. thanks
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 5:43pm On Jul 27, 2017
thanks. which one has to be really good in maths?
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by NosaH(m): 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2017
yp, mathematics is highly needed in actuarial science, in fact is more or less mathematics, because of it modules needed to calculate and evaluate of financial risks, it just like economics, but more of Economics, math, govt, computer science and statistics.. if am I may ask, are you any aspirant, if yes what school?
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 10:32pm On Jul 29, 2017
NosaH:
yp, mathematics is highly needed in actuarial science, in fact is more or less mathematics, because of it modules needed to calculate and evaluate of financial risks, it just like economics, but more of Economics, math, govt, computer science and statistics.. if am I may ask, are you any aspirant, if yes what school?
Yea. Unilag Aspirant
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by NosaH(m): 10:58pm On Jul 29, 2017
[quote author=dreyposh post=58962068][/quote] hhmmmm. I thought as much.. what your aggregate point??
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 10:34pm On Jul 31, 2017
NosaH:

hhmmmm. I thought as much.. what your aggregate point??

61.8% I actually choose Psychology but based on last year's cutoff am not up to the point needed. That's why am considering other courses
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by NosaH(m): 9:36pm On Aug 01, 2017
dreyposh:

61.8% I actually choose Psychology but based on last year's cutoff am not up to the point needed. That's why am considering other courses
OKs, have u checked last cut off point for actuarial science you're aspiring for?, have you also try to understand what "being actuary" entails, it's math inclined, the psychology, was actually a very good course, wit more of critical thinking and all that, but actuarial science is mathematical inclined,and have you also evaluate the possible risks of being admitted, what I meant by that is "have you checked, if you get in through merit list with your catchment and all that??"
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 8:38am On Aug 02, 2017
NosaH:

OKs, have u checked last cut off point for actuarial science you're aspiring for?, have you also try to understand what "being actuary" entails, it's math inclined, the psychology, was actually a very good course, wit more of critical thinking and all that, but actuarial science is mathematical inclined,and have you also evaluate the possible risks of being admitted, what I meant by that is "have you checked, if you get in through merit list with your catchment and all that??"

Yea Yea, I meet d cut-off for actuary science, but am not actually d best student in mathematics, am more of an analytical person, best inclined to social sciences. That's why I went for Psychology earlier, but based on last year's cutoff, all other social science courses has cutoffs higher than 61.8%. Based on my points & qualification, I seem to only have options of Actuary Science or Educational Foundations, provided the cutoff remain as last year's.
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by NosaH(m): 3:33pm On Aug 02, 2017
dreyposh:

Yea Yea, I meet d cut-off for actuary science, but am not actually d best student in mathematics, am more of an analytical person, best inclined to social sciences. That's why I went for Psychology earlier, but based on last year's cutoff, all other social science courses has cutoffs higher than 61.8%. Based on my points & qualification, I seem to only have options of Actuary Science or Educational Foundatio
ns, provided the cutoff remain as last year's.
OK, I think I get ut now!! .. what is ur aggregate point, are u also willingly to delve more into maths, if you are given an admission to study actuarial science!! u still need to weigh the risk!!!
what coc, ie change ur uni to other GREAT UNIVERSITY, and also make enquiries about courses related to pyschology?
Re: Please Give Some Enlightenment On Actuarial Science by dreyposh: 10:24pm On Aug 02, 2017
NosaH:

OK, I think I get ut now!! .. what is ur aggregate point, are u also willingly to delve more into maths, if you are given an admission to study actuarial science!! u still need to weigh the risk!!!
what coc, ie change ur uni to other GREAT UNIVERSITY, and also make enquiries about courses related to pyschology?

My point is 61.8%. I can still do with courses like Edu.Admin, Edu.Foundations @ Unilag.

(1) (Reply)

Stunning 19th And Early 20th Century Photos Of European Cities / Jamb Policy Meeting 2018 / Is It Called Waybill Or A Manifest? Can Waybill Be Used As A Verb To Mean SEND?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.