Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,341 members, 7,842,999 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Van Gaal Rejects Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Van Gaal Rejects Nigeria (752 Views)

Akpom Rejects Nigeria, Drools Senior England Debut / Germany U-20 Star Rejects Nigeria / .:. Louis Van Gaal Is New Super Eagles Coach .:. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Van Gaal Rejects Nigeria by woye77: 2:57pm On Feb 08, 2010
Van Gaal rejects Nigeria
Posted: 2010-02-07 20:32

Dutch coach Louis van Gaal has ruled himself out of the Nigeria job, saying he would see out his two-year contract with German club Bayern Munich.

It means that the former Barcelona coach, who joined Munich on July 1, 2009, will not be available until 2011.

Van Gaal was one of six candidates shortlisted by the Nigeria Football Federation after a meeting last Friday which ended with Shuaibu Amodu being demoted to coach a team of locally-based players.

But the Dutchman, who has been linked with the Nigeria job since 2005, says he is unavailable at this time.

"I have a contract and I'll respect it. It's not the first time that Nigeria show interest in me, but Bayern Munich represents a great challenge. I think that Bayern will be my last club, after that I'll go to Portugal and there I'll wait a nice offer to guide a great national team," van Gaal said.

The Bayern coach is one of two high profile candidates shortlisted for the post. The other, current Russia coach Guus Hiddink, is also expected to rule himself out of the running in the coming days.

However, one high-profile name who was not shortlisted, but who is believed to be keen on the Nigeria post is Republic of Ireland boss Giovanni Trappatoni.

The Italian is said to have a clause in his contract that allows him to walk away from the Republic job anytime until March 10.

Colin Udoh

(1) (Reply)

Siasia Applies For Zambian Job / Nigeria Will Not Use 'alien' Vuvuzelas / Fact About The Fifa World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.