Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Whats Your Take On Freewill? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Whats Your Take On Freewill? (538 Views)

Why Is Temptation Essential In The Exercise Of Freewill? / Theist: Is Everything God's Will Or Is There Freewill? / Christians And The Foolishness Of Freewill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2017
Do you believe humans have free will if yes why if no why?
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by marvelling(m): 2:21pm On Jul 27, 2017
Deicide:
Do you believe humans have free will if yes why if no why?

freewill is an illusion. You think you have it, but in reality you don't. Besides, the concept of predestination invalidates the idea of freewill
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by samebony1: 2:23pm On Jul 27, 2017
Yes, Because the creator of mankind made us Free Moral Agent.
We can decide to either do "Good" or Bad", but whatever our choice is, we are responsible for them.

You are not responsible for an advise given to you, but it becomes your decision when you acts upon it.
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by hopefulLandlord: 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2017
samebony1:
We can decide to either do "Good" or Bad", but whatever our choice is, we are responsible for them.

You are not responsible for an advise given to you, but it becomes your decision when you acts upon it.

if you believe in a god that is omnipotent, then freewill is not only illusory, its paradoxical
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 2:30pm On Jul 27, 2017
marvelling:

free will is an illusion. You think you have it, but in reality, you don't. Besides, the concept of predestination invalidates the idea of free will
Freewill is an illusion can you elaborate on that? and predestination is a religious idea i think this thread is more of the philosophy of freewill
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2017
samebony1:

You are not responsible for any advice given to you, but it becomes your decision when you act upon it.
What do you mean by Free moral Agent?
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by marvelling(m): 2:37pm On Jul 27, 2017
Deicide:

Freewill is an illusion can you elaborate on that? and predestination is a religious idea i think this thread is more of the philosophy of freewill

I was arguing from the religious perspective. Anyway...
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 2:40pm On Jul 27, 2017
marvelling:

I was arguing from the religious perspective. Anyway...
ok, its ok so explain how free will is an illusion do you mean if i make a decision am not the one actually making it?
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by marvelling(m): 3:02pm On Jul 27, 2017
Deicide:

ok, its ok so explain how free will is an illusion do you mean if i make a decision am not the one actually making it?

the inevitability of destiny makes freewill redundant. You are making a decision to meet a preset line of events in which you have no real Control over. Other (spiritual) forces compel you to act or do things in certain ways under the guise of offering you a choice. This choice you make whatever it may be will lead to a predetermined outcome. You have no freewill, because your choices are not your own!
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 4:12pm On Jul 27, 2017
marvelling:

the inevitability of destiny makes freewill redundant. You are making a decision to meet a preset line of events in which you have no real Control over. Other (spiritual) forces compel you to act or do things in certain ways under the guise of offering you a choice. This choice you make whatever it may be will lead to a predetermined outcome. You have no freewill, because your choices are not your own!
Nice one
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by ChinonsoDike2: 4:20pm On Jul 27, 2017
You listen to Deicide?
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by Deicide: 4:30pm On Jul 27, 2017
ChinonsoDike2:
You listen to Deicide?
Nope, i just put it on my profile for fun. You have any contribution to make?
Re: Whats Your Take On Freewill? by ChinonsoDike2: 4:36pm On Jul 27, 2017
Deicide:

Nope, i just put it on my profile for fun. You have any contribution to make?

I believe that humans are able to make somewhat independent choices, but what may appear independent on the surface may be driven by inclinations that are somewhat determined.

There are a few philosophers that go into detail about this: Descartes, Hume.

(1) (Reply)

How Adajinege An Ebira Man Fought Against Tribalism / I Cannot Remember My Dreams Anymore. What Can I Do To Remedy It? / If You Are 35 Years, Pay 35k Tithe - Pastor To Congregation (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.