Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,487 members, 7,958,479 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 03:16 PM

7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android (1046 Views)

June 20 – 7 New Movies You Must See This Weekend / Google To Replace Voice Search With Google Assistant On Android Devices / How To Setup Google Assistant On Your Android Phones. (screenshots) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 9:07am On Jul 28, 2017
Google's next-gen A.I. Assistant is on Android phones left and right this. Here's how to make the most of its new-to-you features.So, you've got Google Assistant on your phone. Now what? As Google's next-gen artificial intelligence system starts making its way to*more and more Android devices, it's a question that's bound to come up plenty. After all, splashy branding aside, Assistant is pretty darn similar to the (far less heavily marketed)*Android voice command system*that preceded it. But along with all the overlap, Assistant*does*have some interesting new tricks up its sleeves. First things first: To find out if your phone has Assistant, press and hold your device's Home key. If you've gotten the upgrade, you'll see something like this show up on your screen:
Here are some new Assistant-exclusive features to take out for a spin:
1. Control your house, Google Assistant works natively with "smart" home products from Honeywell, Nest, Philips Hue, SmartThings, and WeMo. If you have such an apparatus in your abode, open up Assistant and then press the three-dot menu icon in the upper-right corner. Select "Settings," then tap "Home Control" and follow the prompts for adding a new device.
2. Listen to the news, Activate Assistant and say "tell me the news" to hear a summary of the latest headlines from your favorite sources. Want to customize what outlets are included? Just head into Assistant's settings and look for the "News" option.
3. Get your day started, Ask Assistant to tell you about your day (or simply say "good morning"wink to get a quick overview of your agenda and more. As part of its briefing, Assistant can give you info about the weather, your work commute, any upcoming meetings, and any pending reminders. It can also tack a news summary onto the end of the rundown, in case you're feeling especially hungry for knowledge. Give it a whirl, then look in the "My Day" section of Assistant's settings to take control.
4. Interact with all sorts of products and services, IFTTT is a powerful web-based tool for making different online services interact with each other. There's loads of stuff you can do with it and Assistant -- creating custom voice commands to*ring any phone,*turn on your TV, or have Assistant*talk to you in a variety of entertaining ways. You can get ideas on the*IFTTT Google Assistant page*and even create your own "if-this-then-that" recipes from scratch if you really want to get crazy.
5. Play a game No one can be productive 100% of the time. Google Assistant apparently knows this, so it's got some fun games standing by and ready for your next bout of incurable boredom. Need something to do? Tell Assistant to "play a game," and it'll give you an overview of the options. They currently include a couple of trivia games, Mad Libs, and something called Crystal Ball (think Magic 8 Ball with less squinting). If you're*really*bored, you can ask Assistant to guess the number you're thinking of, too. Hey, desperate times....
6. Try some number tricks, Google's always been able to flip a coin or roll a die for you -- and it still can -- but with Assistant, you can also now ask it to give you a random number. Plus, Assistant can count up or down between any digits you like; just tell it to "count from 1 to 10," "count from 20 to zero," or whatever parameters your digits loving heart desires.
7. Amuse yourself with songs, rhymes, and general silliness, Continuing our category of quirky commands, try saying some of these things to your Google Assistant: •Serenade me Sing •Happy Birthday •Beat box for me •Play the name game with the name Sue*(or whatever name you want) •Recite a poem, Assistant has some added conversational chops, too, so if you're feeling a little lonely, you can try asking it random personal questions and seeing what sorts of responses you can elicit. (It's even prepared to respond to a marriage proposal -- erm, or so I've heard). Old tricks, new home, Amidst all the new stuff, don't forget that Assistant can also still search your screen and give you relevant info about anything it finds -- people, movies, businesses, you name it -- in a feature*formerly known as Google Now On Tap. Just activate Assistant and then scroll upward on its box to see what's available. Last but not least, Assistant can still do much (though*bafflingly not all) of the things Android's old voice command system could handle -- turning on or off system functions like Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, for instance, along with sending messages, taking photos, setting reminders, and answering all sorts of questions about the weather, traffic, travel, current events, and countless other assorted areas. The list goes on and on. If you need a refresher of those not-so-new-but-easy-to-forget options, not to worry:

Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by lawrencedash01(m): 9:11am On Jul 28, 2017
Technology self
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 9:15am On Jul 28, 2017
Cc;
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Obinoscopy
Ishilove
Seun
Dragnet
Pushkin
Honsule
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 9:16am On Jul 28, 2017
lawrencedash01:
Technology self
You sef don see am na.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Nobody: 9:17am On Jul 28, 2017
I see it on my phone but I don't even know how to use it. Thanks, I will try it
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 9:19am On Jul 28, 2017
funmyade:
I see it on my phone but I don't even know how to use it. Thanks, I will try it
you're welcome Beautiful.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by paolokonqueror(m): 9:37am On Jul 28, 2017
The world is evolving at a scary pace!
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Ennyholar: 9:50am On Jul 28, 2017
Google Assistant is evolving....been very useful in Camon CX ...life is becoming easier ..day by day

1 Like

Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by CTechHub(m): 10:09am On Jul 28, 2017
Wow.. This is cool
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Techm8: 10:17am On Jul 28, 2017
so many useful features on Android that we don't use.

1 Like

Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2017
I use that as my own personal assistant and it has been very helpful.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2017
Techm8:
so many useful features on Android that we don't use.
I tell mehn. So many yet to be harnessed which is why information is power.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by bravesoul247(m): 11:17am On Jul 28, 2017
Wonders will never end sha. The rate at which technologis are evolving ehen somebody will just lost one day.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Jaculze(m): 7:15pm On Jul 28, 2017
Cc;
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Obinoscopy
Ishilove
Seun
Dragnet
Puskin
Honsule

This is an fp material
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Riyikebaby(f): 9:23am On Jul 29, 2017
Google is really impressive with this Assistant. Was using it which day was at on my CX Air self and it was cool
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Riyikebaby(f): 9:54am On Jul 29, 2017
Ennyholar:
Google Assistant is evolving....been very useful in Camon CX ...life is becoming easier ..day by day

Do you know it can remember what you spike abkjy last
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Shadedtee: 9:56am On Jul 29, 2017
Mehn! Technology Na real witchcraft! Lol

Abeg can the google assistant help me change my Cx to limited edition? grin
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by bravesoul247(m): 10:31am On Jul 29, 2017
Shadedtee:
Mehn! Technology Na real witchcraft! Lol

Abeg can the google assistant help me change my Cx to limited edition? grin
the winchcraft no reach that level bros.
Re: 7 New Tricks To Try With Google Assistant On Android by Shadedtee: 9:20am On Aug 12, 2017
bravesoul247:
the winchcraft no reach that level bros.

No be only cx Na phantom 7

(1) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 2 For Sale / Peer To Peer Funding Using Nairapay Android App / What Is The Best Phone To Buy With 50-60k Budget

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.