Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,132 members, 7,814,954 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:43 AM

Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? (9131 Views)

My Natural Hair Wants To Kill Me Before My Time / My Hair Journey :from Relaxed To Natural ( With Pics) / I Want My Hair Turned Back To Natural. Urgent Advice On Procedure. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by CILondon: 2:27pm On Feb 09, 2010
Ladies, would you ever go back to natural hair and how would your husband/boyfriend feel about it?
Why is it that almost no women have natural hair these days - excluding school girls (compulsoryunder school rules)
In the 60s and 70s, there were loads of women with natural hair - what is the reason for this massive flight from natural hair. Do we fear that our husbands will abondon us or like us less if we went back to natural?

http://www.lifeinbiglondon.com/2010/02/08/why-are-black-women-so-hung-up-on-their-hair/
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by nana(f): 2:30pm On Feb 09, 2010
I am actually thinking of going natural but don't want to cut my hair.
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Feb 09, 2010
Im transitioning as we speak, im 10months post relaxer, I think I will just braid my hair till I grow out the perm. smiley
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by ayettymama(f): 4:06pm On Feb 09, 2010
I do natural lookin weave?
grin
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by topup: 2:35am On Feb 10, 2010
Going natural as we speak smiley.

Women always want what they don't have, you will never see a white woman rockin' an afro - it would be too hard, we luckily have the ability to change our looks and get away with a LOT!!

However, I have noticed a lot of black women don't wear their hair natural anymore, they think it's hard to maintain, painful to brush, not trendy, and too much to fuss all over . . but I tell you, before I ever begin to bald, I'll definitely start treating my natural hair properly (most women doing these harsh treatments to their hair have already got bad - natural hair and scalp conditions).
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by platinumnk(f): 2:41am On Feb 10, 2010
been natural since 4 years na, lots a girls a doing natural
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by rosabella(f): 2:54pm On Feb 11, 2010
i was always thinking natural hair is so difficult 2 maintain but 10x 2 youtube i was able 2 get vital information on how to make my hair softer, i am now transitioning from relax hair to natural, i never know i av a very gud hair.

1 Like

Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by ayettymama(f): 5:54pm On Feb 11, 2010
topup:

Women always want what they don't have, you will never see a white woman rockin' an afro -

i do not know where u live- but that is not tru!!

jerry curl sells more than dye!!!!!

the women here are rockin all sorts of afro curls!!!

its actually in vogue now!!!
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by mohawkchic(f): 7:08pm On Feb 11, 2010
All About "Au Natural": nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-321273.0.html

Women: Would You Consider A Natural Hairdo?: nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272552.0.html

I Want My Hair Turned Back To Natural. Urgent Advice On Procedure. nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-246455.0.html

I Am Thinking Of Going Natural. . What Is The Transition Process?:nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-285920.0.html

Natural Hair Pics: nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-45142.64.html#bot
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by topup: 4:55am On Feb 12, 2010
ayettymama:

i do not know where u live- but that is not tru!!

jerry curl sells more than dye!!!!!

the women here are rockin all sorts of afro curls!!!

its actually in vogue now!!!

Lol, I live in an area where there are plenty of all races but majority happen to be white.

I have NEVER seen via google, in real life or any other media, a white woman wearing an afro, and latino curls, or soft waves are not the same as a 'gravity defying spongy afro' - feel free to correct me smiley
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by oyinda3(f): 5:32am On Feb 12, 2010
i'm natural grin
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by Tatase(f): 7:12pm On Feb 12, 2010
I'm not natural although I transitioned for a year about 2-3 years ago (but didn't go through with the BC) because I felt pressured by a lot of natural hair nazis around.

Maybe for some its a political statement, but for me, it's just hair. I have oyinbo friends who wake up two hours early to curl their hair because they think its too straight and flat, some have even gotten curly perms for body and others who also wake up early to flat iron their hair. It doesn't matter because it's an accessory, so personal preference is the main thing.

I know a lot of people who attach a lot of meaning to what's going on on peoples' heads but really, it's pointless. Are people who dye their hair funky colors like blue and purple and green, trying to be aliens? Are people who get mohawks trying to look reptilian? Are people who get braids trying to be rasta? Are girls who shave their heads or wear low cut styles trying to be like boys and denying their femininity?

To me, we attach so much meaning to hair and stigmatize others and make them feel like they're not "enough" in some way just because they choose to wear their hair differently, when ultimately it doesn't matter. Everyone should wear their hair the way they feel suits them or the way they're happy with. Whether that's in a curly afro puff or a relaxed and set style, it shouldn't matter.

Some of these debates on natural hair vs. relaxed hair are pointless and are just ways, we as black women try to further divide ourselves and we need to stop.

1 Like

Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by lizzybabe1(f): 7:15pm On Feb 12, 2010
Tatase:

I'm not natural although I transitioned for a year about 2-3 years ago (but didn't go through with the BC) because I felt pressured by a lot of natural hair nazis around.

Maybe for some its a political statement, but for me, it's just hair. I have oyinbo friends who wake up two hours early to curl their hair because they think its too straight and flat, some have even gotten curly perms for body and others who also wake up early to flat iron their hair. It doesn't matter because it's an accessory, so personal preference is the main thing.

I know a lot of people who attach a lot of meaning to what's going on on peoples' heads but really, it's pointless. Are people who dye their hair funky colors like blue and purple and green, trying to be aliens? Are people who get mohawks trying to look reptilian? Are people who get braids trying to be rasta? Are girls who shave their heads or wear low cut styles trying to be like boys and denying their femininity?

To me, we attach so much meaning to hair and stigmatize others and make them feel like they're not "enough" in some way just because they choose to wear their hair differently, when ultimately it doesn't matter. Everyone should wear their hair the way they feel suits them or the way they're happy with. Whether that's in a curly afro puff or a relaxed and set style, it shouldn't matter.

Some of these debates on natural hair vs. relaxed hair are pointless and are just ways, we as black women try to further divide ourselves and we need to stop.

***Standing Ovation*** WORD!
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by ayettymama(f): 7:30pm On Feb 12, 2010
lizzybabe1:

***Standing Ovation*** WORD!

seconded!!!

u need to hear one comedian tellin us to locks up!!!

in support of our 'race'

locks?

LOCKS IN MY PRECIOUS HEAD??

I dont think soo!
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by yme1(f): 8:12pm On Feb 12, 2010
i have my natural hair on kiss
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by bluespice(f): 8:28pm On Feb 12, 2010
i'm natural
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by agathamari(f): 8:56pm On Feb 12, 2010
topup:

Lol, I live in an area where there are plenty of all races but majority happen to be white.

I have NEVER seen via google, in real life or any other media, a white woman wearing an afro, and latino curls, or soft waves are not the same as a 'gravity defying spongy afro' - feel free to correct me smiley
i wish i could post my jr high yearbook,  there were 3 (one was my best friend)

Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by agathamari(f): 9:15pm On Feb 12, 2010

Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by iice(f): 1:54pm On Feb 16, 2010
Tatase:

Thank you jare.
I tire for all this yama yama talk
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by ruskiee(m): 3:40pm On Feb 16, 2010
Natural is aight.
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by adetoru(f): 9:42pm On Feb 17, 2010
I am actually thinking of going natural but don't want to cut my hair[color=#000099][/color]
Me too,but I really wanna and secondly my natural hair is veeeeery difficult to maintain
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by shilling(f): 8:55am On Feb 18, 2010
Nope, unless I was paid to do so, which is almost impossible grin
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by bluespice(f): 9:28pm On Feb 18, 2010
adetoru:

I am actually thinking of going natural but don't want to cut my hair[color=#000099][/color]
Me too,but I really wanna and secondly my natural hair is veeeeery difficult to maintain
you can grow your roots out or 'transition' for a while then just cut your relaxed tips when you have a length you're comfy with.
hair that has both relaxed and natural parts is quite fragile i must advice.

Natural hair isn't difficult to maintain, quite contrary it's quite easy to maintain you just have to figure out what works for your hair.

Tatase, you're right oh, the natural nazis can be scary
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by lovemoi2(f): 3:22am On Feb 19, 2010
Tatase:

would rate u 10/10 if its possible to rate on NL, u go girl
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by iice(f): 2:02pm On Feb 19, 2010
@blue, you're right about it not being hard to maintain, just depends i guess on you and what you can do with the hair.

For me, i'm lazy about hair. . .don't have energy for the everyday combing and styling Yea, i look like a mad person sometimes, i no send grin It's either cutting the hair or braiding it or something for me.
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by bluespice(f): 12:36pm On Feb 20, 2010
iice:

@blue, you're right about it not being hard to maintain, just depends i guess on you and what you can do with the hair.

For me, i'm lazy about hair. . .don't have energy for the everyday combing and styling Yea, i look like a mad person sometimes, i no send grin It's either cutting the hair or braiding it or something for me.

lol i'm like you jare
that's why i BC'd last summer i couldn't deal with long hair again tongue
now i just wash n go or throw my hats or a turban on
only few times i actually take time out do so much.
my hair gives me so much more flexibility than when i had my relaxed hair, now just combing my 'fro out n using a scarf makes it look like some elaborate style unlike when i had to think up sculpted styles n stuff with my own hair. . .
then again maybe im just not so big on long hair undecided cheesy
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by iice(f): 1:01pm On Feb 20, 2010
grin grin I do the scarf/hat thing especially when i don't comb the hair grin grin
It was why i opted for straightening it out. . .that way i just wash and comb once and i'm done for the day, even when it gets wind blown. . .i don't fix it anymore. I either just let it hang or pull it into a pony tail.
I too love short hair, but right now i have long hair. . .still not cutting it yet tongue
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Feb 20, 2010
I've been natural for two years.
But agreeing with Tatase, stick with whatever floats your boat: natural or relaxed. Do what works for you. One isn't better than the other, nor is one any more special than the other. The most important thing is that you know how to properly take care of that hair -whether it's relaxed or natural -so that it'll thrive. It's just hair and it doesn't define you. Neither one’s superior than the other. It all boils down to what you’re most comfortable with and what’s easier for you in terms of maintenance. You just have to find a regimen -whether you're relaxed or natural- that works for you and your hair, and stick with it.
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by adetoru(f): 8:14pm On Feb 20, 2010
[you can grow your roots out or 'transition' for a while then just cut your relaxed tips when you have a length you're comfy with.
hair that has both relaxed and natural parts is quite fragile i must advice.

Natural hair isn't difficult to maintain, quite contrary it's quite easy to maintain you just have to figure out what works for your hair]

You neva see my hair,even relaxed,it's a great big ball of wool when the weather is humid,so indulge my fears,abeg smiley
Re: Would You Ever Go Back To Natural Hair? by Nobody: 6:41am On Feb 24, 2010
My hair is all natural and i achieved it by not relaxing my hair for 2 years and braiding constantly.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why You Should Wear A Quality Weave / Body Cream For Light Skinned People / Fashion Features That Compliments A Woman’s Outfit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.