Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,590 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

10 Worst Career Mistakes To Avoid - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Worst Career Mistakes To Avoid (612 Views)

You Must Avoid These 6 Career Mistakes In 2019 / What Are The Biggest Career Mistakes To Avoid? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

10 Worst Career Mistakes To Avoid by TheBlog: 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2017
Avoid making these mistakes for better performance and long-term job prospects

1. Applying for each and every job

No doubt that being unemployed feels highly desperate, but you must still be conservative during a job search. You should not submit job applications and resumes for postings not matching your qualifications. You won’t have any positive results, because employers are looking for a perfect match; which will only decrease your morale. And on the off-chance you do get the job; you might find yourself overwhelmed to fill a role for which you’re ill-suited.

2. Changing your Job for a marginal increment

Money should not be the only deciding factor while changing your job because there is not enough money in the world to make you happy if your job doesn’t suit you. Workplace dissatisfaction and stress is one of the highest health problem for working adults. Working in a job which makes you happy is much better; as you will be able to perform much better in a job that suits you.

As long as money is concerned it will always follow perform and if you can perform only in a role that suits you.

3. Falsifying information in Resume

This is one mistake one should never even think of making. Many people think that a tweak here and there in their resume will not be noticed by the company or verification agencies. This not only results in loss of your current job but also impacts your employability in future.

One of the biggest example for this was the ex-CEO of Yahoo Scott Thompson who was fired after just four months of joining the company over falsifying college records.

Recruiters usually spend only 10 seconds to go through a resume.

4. Having a questionable social-media presence

Before posting any comment online, think: Is it stupid, thoughtless or insensitive? How will this affect my company or my reputation in the company? How this could be interpreted by someone who doesn’t know me?”

A lot of organizations have now started checking the online footprint of their potential hires and hence you should be really careful about what you post on your social media accounts.

5. Stopping Learning

Your degrees and on-the-job training will not help you in being fully up-to date regarding your job skills. Any job’s relevant skills are fluid, and it’s easier to be continue learning than to have to play catch-up. You should stay abreast of the latest developments in your field and should continually ‘Sharpen the Saw’ as in today’s fast paced environment you never know when your knowledge will become irrelevant.

Read more about this story via https://www.theblog.com.ng/10-worst-career-mistakes-to-avoid/

Follow @TheBlogNigeria on social media

(1) (Reply)

I Am Fed Up, How I Missed My Interview Today / 5 Reasons Why You Should Pursue Masters Degree / Best Course To Study By My Bro.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.