Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,744 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:10 PM

Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch (525 Views)

Drogba Pictured With Mbappe At The Ballon D'or, 10 Years After Turning Him Down / Wladimir Klitschko's Retirement Was A "Massive" Disappointment - Anthony Joshua / Anthony Joshua Beats Wladimir Klitschko: WBA Heavyweight Fight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by robosky02(m): 10:32am On Aug 03, 2017
Wladimir Klitschko retires after turning down Anthony Joshua rematch

ladimir Klitschko has retired from boxing after opting not to fight Anthony Joshua in a heavyweight world title clash in Las Vegas.

Klitschko had been deliberating over whether to take on Joshua for a second time this year, with a fight provisionally agreed for Nov 11 at the T-Mobile Arena.

But he has decided not to pursue the rematch and will instead quit the sport with immediate effect. He announced his decision in a video posted on his official website this morning.

He said: “Twenty-seven years ago I started my journey in sport, and it was the best choice of a profession I could have ever made.

“Because of this choice, I travelled the world, learned new languages, created business, built intellectual properties, helped people in need.

“Became a scientist, entrpreneur, motivator, hotelier, trainer, investor and much else. I was, and I still am, capable of doing all this because of the global appeal of sport and boxing, my own talent and most importantly because of you: my loyal fans.

“At some point in our lives we need to, or just want to, switch our careers and get ourselves ready for the next chapter – a new course and fresh challenges.

“Obviously, I’m not an exception to this and now it’s my turn. I’m honestly doing this with greatest respect for these new challenges.

“But also with tremendous excitement, passion, dedication, expecting and hoping that my next career will be at least as successful as my previous one, if not even more successful.

“Finally, instead of just saying, ‘hey, thanks and goodbye’, I want you to continue joining me in this new and exciting journey.

“When we’re together, we’re more creative, more efficient, more productive and simply stronger in every way. Together we’re the driving force.”

Klitschko, 41, was defeated by Joshua in a thrilling title fight at Wembley Stadium in April. The Ukrainian was stopped in the 11th round, having at one point looked certain to win.

His decision to retire means Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn will now have to find a new opponent for November. The Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev, the mandatory IBF challenger, is the most likely option.

Klitschko has been a fixture at the top level of the heavyweight division ever since he won the gold medal at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta.

He retires with a record of 64-5-0, having held the IBF, WBA, WBO and IBO titles for much of the last decade. He went 11 years unbeaten between 2004 and 2015, before suffering a shock defeat at the hands of Tyson Fury in Germany.

Joshua had admitted earlier this week that Klitschko's delay over whether to accept a rematch suggested he was considering his future.

He said: "It is interesting. It can't be age, because for instance Floyd Mayweather is the same age as Klitschko and Floyd Mayweather is fresh, Klitschko is fresh.

"I think it's just he's achieved a lot. He took a lot away, even in loss, he gained a lot of credit, so if you can hang your gloves up with the world supporting even in defeat, he's got the respect that he wants to walk away with.

"Whether he wants to come back in and do it one more time - the delay is more of a mental decision I think. Not physical, because I know he's still fresh, he can still fight.

"It's a mental blockage of whether he wants to fight or not. It's a tough time for him, he's got family. His brother is probably advising him not to do it again. It's the voices around you that sway your decision as well."

cc: lalasticlala, mynd44
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/boxing/2017/08/03/wladimir-klitschko-quits-boxing-turning-anthony-joshua-rematch/

Re: Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by zico530(m): 11:00am On Aug 03, 2017
Wise man. The fear of AJ is the beginning of retirement.

1 Like

Re: Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by robosky02(m): 11:17am On Aug 03, 2017
zico530:
Wise man. The fear of AJ is the beginning of retirement.

no fear na

your body go tell you grin
Re: Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by do4luv14(m): 11:53am On Aug 03, 2017
robosky02:

no fear na

your body go tell you grin

lolzzz grin
omo that knockout blow, fit komot ma 24teeth ooooo, jst 1 of the blow chaiii
Re: Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by Rockyrascal(m): 12:03pm On Aug 03, 2017
That knock out was the bomb,the guy think twice cheesy
Re: Wladimir Klitschko Retires After Turning Down Anthony Joshua Rematch by obo389(m): 2:50pm On Aug 03, 2017
God save am.
He would have been humiliated again grin

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: La Liga Stops Neymar Sale / How Neymar Could Buy Himself Out Of Barcelona Contract After La Liga Reject / Chelsea Striker Diego Costa Moves Out Of His £6million House In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.