Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,709 members, 7,809,691 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis (1015 Views)

Beware Of What You Eat- A Short Story By Avatarmode / Grabbing The Hot Gate ( A Paranormal Novel) By Akintayo Akinjide / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 8:00am On Aug 05, 2017
ALL rights reserved

copywright2017chukwudi marvis...

NB; THIS STORY ISNT MINE, AS U CAN SEE M HELPING THE OWNER.......NO PART OF THIS WORK SHOULD BE REPRODUCED OR COPY...

TO SHARE THIS STORY ON OTHER SITES APART FROM NAIRALAND INBOX THE OWNER ON FACEBOOK
CHUKWUDI MARVIS.....
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 8:08am On Aug 05, 2017
LET ME CALL ON MY LITERATURE MADAMS IN THE HOUSE CHUMZYPINKY,SHEWRITES EVAJEAL MARIANNEADA,KIMBERLYWEST KIMKARDASHIAN PAMELB BIBIJAY123,ANGELSS emperor380,tiffanyj.....if i no call u no vex cos diz ma first time posting here...

IYA GATE EPISODE 1
iya gate
peeping from the windows of one of the flats of the story building i lived in.
She was shouting at her tenants not to pour water on her husband's car which has not been driven in centuries,though it was always covered i never stopped imagining the use of that 'kpangolo'(empty container)

she adores her uncompleted building,and will always sit at the gate to watch maybe the street or her ugly castle.

She seem to know everything in everyones home,even the day mama ngozi, my neighbour flogged her husband and sent him out,she was the first to tell the man pele (sorry) the next morning

On her little table by the old red gate are sweets,biscuits and things needed within a street,she sees it as business but to me its her gossip hub

she lives more by that table than in her house,as she alternates watching her house with the streets,she knows a stranger along the street and wont hold back questions if she has any

well,tomorrow they will be plastering her house and flooring the compound after decades of building and her tenants have had sleepless nights of hearing how much cement cost and the new order of washing in their bedrooms...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 8:21am On Aug 05, 2017
iya gate

Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by tojahh(m): 9:10am On Aug 05, 2017
damsel14:
iya gate

Ah deh here
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 11:26am On Aug 05, 2017
Iya Gate 2 she seems to know more than the workers,every single move would warrant a complaint from this woman who is well above 50 Most of the workers included her sons and relatives,which will definitely cut cost and make her automatic boss Iya gate husband was not well known,he was the peace maker it is believed that iya casted a spell on him which made him mumu (fool). Everyone truly avoided her,for her prowess in witchcraft was a well known fact,with several fingers pointing at her for sucking the blood of her tenants kids. Those who dared her always have a tale to tell the next morning Aunty bose is new in the compound and received a warning from iya that every washing should be done inside the house. Swelled with anger she walks up to iya,hands on hips as she demands for reasons Iya in her usual style kept mute,waiting for swollen bose to deflate before unleashing her devil,well it happened as expected with a little twist as bose called her a witch to her face. The story changed,with iya and bose on the ground wrestling,the foolish neighbours gathered cheering bose to beat her,omoge e na pa(young girl,beat her)! Atleast the sensible ones succeded in seperating the wrestlers,even though bose won in my own view. But iya said something that send shivers down our spine or bose's spine. She said if bose sees the sun rise again,then she is not living. With that she walked out,leaving bose and the crowd as fear enveloped her,while nature prepared to draw the curtain for the day!
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 11:27am On Aug 05, 2017
tojahh:

Ah deh here
Ve update o
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by iambijo(m): 4:45pm On Aug 05, 2017
Guy drop update pis
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2017
Iya Gate 3
I was very young,but not too young to know the good and the bad. I should be in school like my mates i thought, as i watched from the other side of our house children running to school with colourful food baskets and school bags. Well,who cares about school,i have to face my business of the day 'iya Gates compound.
Toothbrush in hand i headed to my usual window spot which had a stool close to it and the curtains folded in way i could see and yet not be seen from outside,you might not know how this is done but a true 'amebo' (gossip) will know this.
I had not seen aunty bose this morning,the compounded was crowded with kids preparing for school,house wives cleaning and washing and yes iya gate in her usual spot outside the compound. Everywhere looked like nothing had happened a day before until we heard a scream from inside the house,everyone ran towards the house and disappeared inside. For the first time i wished i could go in see what was happening,i only heard screams,words like jesu(jesus),iya tobi tugging vigourously at her old wrapper ran out calling for help!
Ki lo de (what happened),people from other compounds including a man called doctor flush in my compound kept asking iya tobi,she was speaking so fast in yoruba that i found it hard to understand except from one word Bose!
I saw the men in the compound carry someone out and layed the person down,the face was not visible due to the crowd,some where rushing to bring spoon and salt others ran out to get something until i saw them approaching with a woli(prophet) who was in white garment,he held a bible and holy micheal(a scented liquid used in some churches).
After some minutes,the atmosphere changed with the arrival of the woli(prophet) as everyone began singing praises,i was so engrossed that i had not notice iya gate absence until she walked into the compound when the man was praying,she went inside then i saw them running out of the compound even the woli was the fastest sprinter!
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 8:56pm On Aug 05, 2017
GUYS PLS M SUPPOSE TO POST THIS NITE BUT DUE TO SOME REASONS I CANT BUT U CAN READ CHAPTER 4 AT WWW.CREATIVEWRITERS2017. IF U CANT WAIT PLS BEAR
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by SheWrites(f): 9:13pm On Aug 05, 2017
damsel14:
LET ME CALL ON MY LITERATURE MADAMS IN THE HOUSE CHUMZYPINKY,SHEWRITES EVAJEAL MARIANNEADA,KIMBERLYWEST KIMKARDASHIAN PAMELB BIBIJAY123,ANGELSS emperor380,tiffanyj.....if i no call u no vex cos diz ma first time posting here...

IYA GATE EPISODE 1
iya gate
She was shouting at her tenants not to pour water on her husband's car which has not been driven in centuries,though it was always covered i never stopped imagining the use of that 'kpangolo'(empty container)

she adores her uncompleted building,and will always sit at the gate to watch maybe the street or her ugly castle.

She seem to know everything in everyones home,even the day mama ngozi, my neighbour flogged her husband and sent him out,she was the first to tell the man pele (sorry) the next morning

On her little table by the old red gate are sweets,biscuits and things needed within a street,she sees it as business but to me its her gossip hub

she lives more by that table than in her house,as she alternates watching her house with the streets,she knows a stranger along the street and wont hold back questions if she has any

well,tomorrow they will be plastering her house and flooring the compound after decades of building and her tenants have had sleepless nights of hearing how much cement cost and the new order of washing in their bedrooms...

Present
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 10:43am On Aug 06, 2017
Iya Gate 4
if there is one thing that bothers me about Nigerians attitude it will be age. I don't know if you ever experienced this. While growing up i never knew my age, it sounds silly but i only relied on what i was told,sometimes my parent forget the age they told me last year and ask me to remind them,i went to several schools with different ages,until i was 16 i got to know my real age even though i still doubt it.when i asked my mum the reason of multiple ages she said is because of the evil doers,well maybe thats why even our government officials don't have one age,even while applying for jobs or admission we struggle with our ages. Back to my neighbours compound jare!
Everyone ran for their dear lives because iya gate came out with a cutlass,she was shouting while pacing around. Our busy body doctor flush was the james bond who walked in to beg her so he could carry the person who kept shaking on the ground,she let him do that and locked the gate with most tenants outside.
I was able to recognise the person's face as bose which certified my suspicion. She was carried in baba bolu old nissan car to somewhere,while others kept mummuring and cursing iya gate.
The next morning was saturday,mama chisom was my neighbour. She packed in just few weeks ago but knows every nook and crany because of her restlessness,i over heard her telling my mum about the incident. Aunty bose had convulsion she said but most people there thought it was evil spirit so they called a prophet,she later died on her way to the hospital. She had no family members around except from few friends whom they tried contacting. Well those are tales by moonlight as everybody believed iya gate sent it to her,some people even said they heard an evil bird crying last night,one said she saw a black cat patrolling round the compound a night before.
Iya gate knew she was the prime suspect as she was dull and later travelled that morning,the gossip was spiced up as bose's family arrived with drama!
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 5:15pm On Aug 06, 2017
[b] Iya Gate 5
we are like the sun,we rise the day we are born and set the day we die. Just like the sun will always be there,our souls will always live on. Maybe not as the sun but the beautiful moon at night.

Iya gate's compound was awfully quiet,with some women in the compound clustered on a bench crying and mummuring. They had several beautiful memories of late bose,who was very young,cheerful and brave too. The twist death gives is that everyone has so much good to say,you will wonder if the deceased was a saint. The women didn't notice a vehicle which parked outside as 3 police men and a woman stepped down from it. The woman whose face was gloomy with tears walked in with others behind as she claimed to be bose's mother,she demanded for iya gate as a woman ran in to call iya's husband who spoke quietly to the woman,obviously the woman was not pleased with what she heard as she flew into rage and slapped the man. She orderd the arrest of iya's household and promised to burn down the house. As expected a crowd was waiting outside to get the latest from the drama as they struggled to get into the compound,the woman left with iya's household. They drove leaving the street in ultimate chaos,everyone had something to say or hear even my busy body neighbours. We were still thinking about that as we saw a young man running towards the crowd shouting and crying 'dey don kill am oooo,come help ooo dey don kill am. The crowd was divided as some ran towards where the boy came,others ran to their houses some remain to hear more gossips on iya gate while i was confused because i wanted to know what had happened in the different sections but my windows had its limitation.[/b]
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 5:21pm On Aug 06, 2017
[b][/b][i][/i] Iya Gate 6
we all have our fears,our insecurities and failures. We are never perfect but we are all made whole,every single being we meet complements us not complete us. I had always wanted friends,i had always wanted someone i could scream in excitement to,someone who i could cry to. I wanted someone i would always be real with and not always be reminded of how appreciative i should be, 'i wanted a real friend'.
Through childhood i had none maybe i was too reserved,all kids were different from me i thought. I prefered a book to a teddy,i loved a quiet,dark place not the circus or playground most kids wanted,i had no friends till i got older i had lots 'friend' which where not real they were a pass of time because i struggled to please them,none liked me for who i was but who i acted to be and this led to the walls i built later in life.

Days later i discovered the reason the boy ran towards the crowd for help,it was because iya gate's son attempted to escape from the car as an oncoming vehicle knocked him down. The young man of 19 died at the spot and the story was twisted as both families mourned their kids and demanded justice. Iya gate returned on hearing the death of her son whom she loved so much,tayo was a very sweet boy though he was known for pranks yet he was admired by all.

Time took no chances as it passed into months with iya gate buried in the shock of the lose of her son....she would call everyone tayo(her dead son's name),she was different and strange. The gate which she loved to sit at was vacant as only the old wooden chair stared at passers by.
Our street which used to bubble with gossips and drama was enveloped with coldness of some sort.....it was a sunny friday,as our muslim faithfuls prepared for prayers,iya gate was dressed in a beautiful dress which was quite unusual of recent,she was so cheerful today as we all thought it was her birthday until nature covered the earth with its blanket we discovered all those smiles where farewells!
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by PamelB(f): 6:23pm On Aug 06, 2017
damsel14:

IYA GATE EPISODE 1
iya gate

I'm here.
Re: Iya Gate....[short Story] By Chukwudi Marvis by damsel14(f): 8:57pm On Aug 06, 2017
Iya Gate 7
I had built a wall of principles and values i could
not compromise. This wall could keep intruders
away and checkmate if trully someone was trully
my friend. I had learnt this from books,writings
and shows,all i learnt were all from creative
minds and hands.
Slowly our darling night had taking over and left
us with the beautiful stars who winked at us.
The moon looked sad as it crawled slowly back
to its home taking its light away leaving the
stars lonely and the night gloomy as the clouds
engulfed it with its thick dark arms as the stars
struggled with tears in their eyes to make the
moonless sky a beauty to behold.
Iya gate passed on that night,she was the moon
who left the sky. Though she was not liked by all
but her absence was felt by all. Some of the old
tenants left as the house was sold,new faces
arrived iya gate's compound and lived there
without worries. Yes,her family left to
somewhere still unknown but iya gate was still
popular even in her death as people shared her
story and the compound was forever called iya
gate, with some people not knowing the
history.....
Though i watched through my window at the rise
and fall of the titan 'iya gate' i remained the one
true person who knew her not by her name but
her acts....she was seen as mean but yet
meek,she had hidden all her weaknesses and
flaws behind a veil we all saw as wicked,tayo
was her sunshine as he was her only son, the
rest of her kids were adopted. His death was her
end and yes bose had always suffered from
convulsion which the neighbours were not
aware....its farewell to the queen but not the
throne
we are never perfect but could strive for
perfection..
We could listen not only to words but the heart
we could see beyond surface
we could take a breath and think twice before
we speak because our words live on forever
FIN!

This is a short story I want you all to know that iya gate kept her pain away from all pple so to cover her pain she became mean..

(1) (Reply)

Blood - A Short Story By Grace. O / Content Writer / The Blue Love Story (episode 1 : SHE'S FORSALE)E

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.