Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,621 members, 7,823,715 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Having A Baby In Uk Now - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Having A Baby In Uk Now (6005 Views)

Institute Of Commercial Management (ICM) United Kingdom (UK) Now Issues Licenses / What Stops Nigeria From Having A Diversity Visa Lottery Program? / I Wonder What Nigerians That Returned To Nigeria From Usa And Uk Now Thinks? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having A Baby In Uk Now by larrybaby: 4:44pm On Feb 11, 2010
Hi good people in the house. can anyone living in the Uk give full details of having a baby in the Uk now and how long does it take the baby to claim citizenship?
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by justwise(m): 5:15pm On Feb 11, 2010
larrybaby:

Hi good people in the house. can anyone living in the Uk give full details of having a baby in the Uk now and[b] how long does it take the baby to claim citizenship?
[/b]

Forget that, its not allowed again in the Uk, if u are coming here for that then u will be disappointed. day yrs are gone when people come here for that.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 5:19pm On Feb 11, 2010
justwise:

[/b]
Forget that, its not allowed again in the Uk, if u are coming here for that then u will be disappointed. day yrs are gone when people come here for that.

She has a chance albeit remote!!!
If she gets in here and delivers her baby. . . . . .I think the baby becomes British by birth.
The mother however must wait for 7+ years before she can get a permanent stay which she can then convert into a British passport.

Give or take, she's looking at 12 years. grin
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by tboy1(m): 5:24pm On Feb 11, 2010
larrybaby:

Hi good people in the house. can anyone living in the Uk give full details of having a baby in the Uk now and how long does it take the baby to claim citizenship?

If you can, its better to go to the states than UK
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by manmustwac(m): 5:24pm On Feb 11, 2010
Thought she had to have her baby here and live here for the next five years if she wants her baby to gain british citizenship. But if her or her husband were already british citizens then the child wiould automataically become a citizen through the parents.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 5:26pm On Feb 11, 2010
tboy1:

If you can, its better to go to the states than UK

States? USA?
They will discover her placenta via their body scans before they allow her pass customs/immigration. grin grin grin
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by tboy1(m): 5:30pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

States? USA?
They will discover her placenta via their body scans before they allow her pass customs/immigration. grin grin grin

My female friend had her baby in TX, stayed there a few months and is now back in nigeria
She got there 3 months before she was due so dont think they noticed her belly
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by brownbonno(m): 5:32pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

If she gets in here and delivers her baby. . . . . .I think the baby becomes British by birth.
The mother however must wait for 7+ years before she can get a permanent stay which she can then convert into a British passport.

British citizenship by birth in the United Kingdom
Under the law in effect from 1 January 1983, a child born in the UK to a parent who is a British citizen or 'settled' in the UK is automatically a British citizen by birth.

Only one parent needs to meet this requirement, either the father or the mother.
"Settled" status in this context usually means the parent is resident in the United Kingdom and has the right of abode, holds Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), or is the citizen of an EU/EEA country and has permanent residence. Irish citizens in the UK are also deemed to be settled for this purpose.
Special rules exist for cases where a parent of a child is a citizen of a European Union or European Economic Area member state, or Switzerland. The law in this respect was changed on 2 October 2000 and again on 30 April 2006. See below for details.
For children born before 1 July 2006, if only the father meets this requirement, the parents must be married. Marriage subsequent to the birth is normally enough to confer British citizenship from that point.
Where the father is not married to the mother, the Home Office will usually register the child as British provided an application is made and the child would have been British otherwise. The child must be aged under 18 on the date of application.
Where a parent subsequently acquires British citizenship or "settled" status, the child can be registered as British provided he or she is still aged under 18.
If the child lives in the UK until age 10 there is a lifetime entitlement to register as a British citizen. The immigration status of the child and his/her parents is irrelevant.
Special provisions may apply for the child to acquire British citizenship if a parent is a British Overseas citizen or British subject, or if the child is stateless.
Before 1983, birth in the UK was sufficient in itself to confer British nationality irrespective of the status of parents, with an exception only for children of diplomats and enemy aliens. This exception did not apply to most visiting forces, so, in general, children born in the UK before 1983 to visiting military personnel (eg US forces stationed in the UK) are British citizens by birth.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 5:35pm On Feb 11, 2010
tboy1:

My female friend had her baby in TX, stayed there a few months and is now back in nigeria
She got there 3 months before she was due so dont think they noticed her belly

How long ago was this?
1999? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by tboy1(m): 5:39pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

How long ago was this?
cheesy cheesy
for real . . . she went last yr and shes now in Lagos
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by tkb417(m): 5:55pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

How long ago was this?
i think some peeps still travelled to the US last year tohave babies
i dont know how it is today
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 5:56pm On Feb 11, 2010
tkb417:

i think some peeps still travelled to the US last year tohave babies
i dont know how it is today

No wonder you went to DC with XXXXXXXX last year. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by tkb417(m): 6:04pm On Feb 11, 2010
~Sauron~:

No wonder you went to DC with XXXXXXXX last year. grin grin grin grin grin

who did i go to DC with? grin grin grin grin
i didnt go with anybody guy
lol
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 6:27pm On Feb 11, 2010
tkb417:

who did i go to DC with? grin grin grin grin
i didnt go with anybody guy
lol

Ma agents @ JFK Airport saw you and this sexy bird.
Fess up now before i spill ma guts. grin grin grin
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by segzeybaba(m): 6:46pm On Feb 11, 2010
Forget UK, coz u gotta beg the secretary of state like mad after 7years to exercise discretion in your favour before you get ILR and your child become citizen. So 7years of hide and seek game including poverty if you no fit work.

You can try yankee sha, but expect interrogation like the big belly woman in the UK border force programme sha
grin
Goodluck
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by dancewith: 7:15pm On Feb 11, 2010
The current rule is this: if you are born in the UK before 1983 then you are automatically british. If however you were born after 1983, and one of your parents is British or someone with Indefinite leave to remain or an Irish citizen or an EEC citizen then u are also British. If however none of your parent is in that category and you were born in the UK after 1983, you have a LIFETIME entiltlement to claim British Citizenship if you spend the first 10 yrs of your life in the UK. If however you leave the UK for an aggregate of more than 180 days within your first 10 yrs, then you have lost your entitlement unless one of your parents become an ILR holder at any point in your life which automatically activates your citizenship once again

Here in the United States and infact in all North/South/Central American countries and the carribeans, the rule of Jus Soli (meaning son of the soil) applies and you derive your citizenship automatically at the country of your birth. This used to be the case in Europe until the UK modified the system in 1983 and was followed by spain, Germany, France and now all EU countries to require, in addition to being born there, that one of your parent must be a citizen or a permanent resident for the child to qualify

However countries like France has a much easier system as all births to all legal residents almost always results to citizenship. The difference to the UK is that births to various legal residents does not qualify for citizenship. You must be born to an ILR holder to qualify or you must wait until one of your parent gets an ILR to be entiltled or reach your 10th birthday whichever one comes first

Hope this helps

1 Like

Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Emmyk(m): 10:29am On Feb 12, 2010
Cooool, ma sista went 2 Maningham, London last year november 10 and delivered december 28, THAT MEANS THE BABY CAN CLAIM THE CITIZEN OF THE PLACE IN 9yrs time! :O .It not ezi travellin when u bout to deliver o! They wil say it risky and u shud wait till u deliver, (anotha visa 4 ur new baby!)
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by justwise(m): 10:38am On Feb 12, 2010
Emmyk:

Cooool, ma sista went[b] 2 Maningham, London [/b] last year november 10 and delivered december 28, THAT MEANS THE BABY CAN CLAIM THE CITIZEN OF THE PLACE IN 9yrs time! :O .It not ezi travellin when u bout to deliver o! They wil say it risky and u shud wait till u deliver, (anotha visa 4 your new baby!)

Maningham london? Where is that?
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by busybody20: 11:36am On Feb 12, 2010
The childs status depends on the status of the parents

Student you will need to stay for 10yrs to get ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) which can then be converted to British Passport
HSMP/Tier 1- 5yrs
Ilegal  grin -14 yrs

Visit visa - No Benefit apart from safe and smooth delivery   cheesy  cool

Try going to US or Canada  wink
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by larrybaby: 11:42am On Feb 12, 2010
Thanks everyone, all points noted.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Nobody: 12:25pm On Feb 12, 2010
~Sauron~:

How long ago was this?

My friend travelled to the US from Naija in November and delivered about 2 weeks ago.
I know another one leaving for the US in April to have her baby.
UK is a waste of time and resources.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by DisGuy: 2:09pm On Feb 12, 2010
aysometin:

My friend travelled to the US from Naija in November and delivered about 2 weeks ago.

why? because they don't sell their citizenship
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by justwise(m): 2:20pm On Feb 12, 2010
Dis Guy:

Yup, they refused to be used, and i don't blame them.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Nobody: 2:42pm On Feb 12, 2010
Dis Guy:

Well, it's an advice for those wanting to go the UK to give birth to their kids!! dont watse your money.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Emmyk(m): 10:36am On Feb 16, 2010
justwise:

Maningham london? Where is that?
"MANINGHAM, BRADFORD,ENGLAND,UK,EUROPE!"
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by justwise(m): 11:03am On Feb 16, 2010
Emmyk:

"MANINGHAM, BRADFORD,ENGLAND,UK,EUROPE!"

MANINGHAM is not in London, thats my point, its in Bradford, its like a small pakistan.

You don't seems to know exactly where MANINGHAM is.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Sauron1: 1:22pm On Feb 16, 2010
aysometin:

How did she smuggle the foetus across the body scanners?
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Emmyk(m): 1:32pm On Feb 17, 2010
justwise:

MANINGHAM is not in London, thats my point, its in Bradford, its like a small pakistan.

You don't seems to know exactly where MANINGHAM is.
What more do u nid dude? Afta correctin &writin ever fin out 4 u! I dont care wea maningham is, EVENT IF IT IN PARIS! Just gimme a break and safe the interrogation! Or wat u fink
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by suxes2005(m): 1:35pm On Feb 17, 2010
Do dey still allow pregnant women
to travel to Uk?

SHALOM
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by bigbumper(f): 11:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
The European Court of Justice has passed a new ruling that migrant parents with children in British Schools are entitled to remain in the Country and claim benefits wehatever the financial burden they place on the Government (taxpayers). It does not matter if only one parent had worked/are working or on benefits, in a test case brought by Somalian Ms Nimco Hassan Ibrahim and Portuguese citizen Ms Maria Teixeira.
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by bigbumper(f): 11:57pm On Feb 24, 2010
Is that my one and only Brownbonno, my baby daddy of 7 shocked shocked shocked Where are you based now? UK or Naija? And no, i ain't asking so i can grass your arse to the Child Support Agency to chase you for backpayment of child support you are owing cheesy grin cheesy

larrybaby:

If it is easier for you to travel to the UK, go ahead and have your baby there, similar issue discussed here;

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-241742.0.html#msg3535790
Re: Having A Baby In Uk Now by Akolawole(m): 2:22am On Feb 25, 2010
~Sauron~:

1) If she gets in here and delivers her baby. . . . . .I think the baby becomes British by birth.

2)The mother however must wait for 7+ years before she can get a permanent stay which she can then convert into a British passport.

1) Thats NOT true but you think grin

2) Thats cancelled already

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dubai Fun Club Launches In 3 Countries. / Nike Art Gallery: All You Need To Know Before You Go / Ghana İnternatİonal Passport Wİth A Statİ Schengen Vİsa For Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.