Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,296 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? (1363 Views)

Russia to deport World Cup Migrants from Nigeria, other countries / Nigerian Coach And Two Athletes Disappear At Commonwealth Games / FG Rewards Athletes At The Commonwealth Games. See How Much They Got (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Afam4eva(m): 8:51pm On Aug 05, 2017
Sometimes i think Nigeria is just big for nothing. I'm currently watching the IAAF world championships currently taking place in London and it seems like every other country is registering their presence especially in the track and field except Nigeria. Small countries like Jamaica, Cotedivoire and even South Africa have produced really good athletes. What exactly are we doing in this country. Even Okagbare that is our only source of pride is depleting by the day.

Mynd44, Lalasticla

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 8:53pm On Aug 05, 2017
Francis Obikwelu
This sprinter got injured representing Nigeria at the Sydney 2000 Olympics, but didn’t get any support from the government for his surgery in Canada. However, he went on to represent Portugal at the 2004 Olympics in Athens and won a silver medal for his adopted country.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Afam4eva(m): 8:54pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
Francis Obikwelu
Lol
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

Lol
Olusoji fasuba
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:03pm On Aug 05, 2017
Akani Simbine
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Aug 05, 2017
A lot as to do with the entire system in Nigeria. Catch them young.

A chance to start early now and win BIG. A deviation from the norm. Why on earth should anyone be paid only 12times in a whole year? Break free from the injustice. Do yourself a favor. Smile to the bank every week . I repeat EVERY WEEK. To avoid ban I won't post any link here. Send me a Private Message for details
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:06pm On Aug 05, 2017
Adekoya

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:08pm On Aug 05, 2017
Femi ogunode fastest Asian athlete

Born in 1991, Femi moved to Qatar in 2009, and began competing for the oil-rich nation in 2010. He previously ran for University of Ibadan, and even qualified for the 2008 Olympics in Beijing. For unknown reasons, he never actually went on to the event. He represented Qatar in both 100m and 200m races in Rio. Femi is currently Asia’s fastest man.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:09pm On Aug 05, 2017
Morolake Akinosun
Born in Lagos in 1994, Akinosun represented and won gold for America in the 2015 Pan-African Games in Toronto. She also represented the country in 4x100m relay in Rio, winning another gold.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:13pm On Aug 05, 2017
Ezinne Okpaerebo
Ezinne represented Norway at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, and again in the 2012 London Olympics. The 28-year-old Norwegian who was born in Nigeria and who originally hails from Imo State, is currently Norway’s fastest woman.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:15pm On Aug 05, 2017
Ayomide Folorunsho
Born in Abeokuta in 1996, Folorunsho represented Italy in the World Championships in Beijing (2015), and the European Championships in Amsterdam (2016). She competed for Italy in the 400m hurdles and 400 x 100m in Rio.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:16pm On Aug 05, 2017
Abubakar Abass
Born in Kano State in 1996, Abbas has won a silver medal in 400m for his adopted country Bahrain. He also represented the country in 400m race at the Rio Olympics.

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:18pm On Aug 05, 2017
I want to stop here. Afam4eva please rephrase your question.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Afam4eva(m): 9:21pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:
I really do't ujnderstand what you're doing because the likes of Francis Obikwelu and Olusoji Fasugba have retired and Obikweulu was running for Portugal before the end of his career. name people who are still running for Nigeria right now ad are a force to reckon with apart from Okagbare.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by elantraceey(f): 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

His question should be why has Nigeria failed to develop and train it's athletes, there are a lot of talents in this country but the government rather spend on irrelevant things.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Agimor(m): 9:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
Because the government doesn't have interest. Imagine appointing Beret wearing Solomon Dalung to head sports... It can only go one way downwards.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 05, 2017
following iaaf london 2017 live on dstv and i must agree with you that it is really disheartening that Nigeria is a "no show" in this competition while minions like Benin republic, cote devoire and south africa not to mention ethiopia and kenya have dominated the scene for africa.
another leadership failure i guess!!!!!!
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 9:34pm On Aug 05, 2017
stellx:
following iaaf london 2017 live on dstv and i must agree with you that it is really disheartening that Nigeria is a "no show" in this competition while minions like Benin republic, cote devoire and south africa not to mention ethiopia and kenya have dominated the scene for africa.
Looking at your family.... Would you run for a million dollars and great insurance or a mere Presidential handshake?
Meanwhile Akani simbine is a Nigerian ....
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by oseiwe(m): 10:15pm On Aug 05, 2017
U-18 iaaf track and field was held in Kenya last month, no Nigerian there, where will adults come out from to win qualifiers?
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Afam4eva(m): 10:52pm On Aug 05, 2017
SmartchoicesNG:

Looking at your family.... Would you run for a million dollars and great insurance or a mere Presidential handshake?
Meanwhile Akani simbine is a Nigerian ....
It's Akani not Akanni. He's a South African and not a Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by SmartchoicesNG: 11:13pm On Aug 05, 2017
Afam4eva:

It's Akani not Akanni. He's a South African and not a Nigerian.
He is a Nigerian.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by deebrain(m): 12:50am On Aug 06, 2017
This question is better answered by our dear government.

Party affiliation aside, this present government is the worst when it comes to development of sports in general. It keeps getting worse with new governments.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by liberalchick(f): 3:15am On Aug 06, 2017
Afam4eva:
Sometimes i think Nigeria is just big for nothing. I'm currently watching the Diamond League currently taking place in London and it seems like every other country is registering their presence especially in the track and field except Nigeria. Small countries like Jamaica, Cotedivoire and even South Africa have produced really good athletes. What exactly are we doing in this country. Even Okagbare that is our only source of pride is depleting by the day.

Mynd44, Lalasticla

It is NOT diamond league. It is the biggest tournament for the IAAF after the Olympics, it's called the IAAF world championships.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Fidha254(m): 9:42am On Aug 06, 2017
stellx:
pic 1: All olympic medals won by African countries combined, except for the last olympics in rio.

Pic 2: Rio Olympics African ranking

Pic 3: Overal medal winners of the last iaaf World championship held in Beijing, first time ever won by an African country....

Nigeria is supposed to be leading the continent, in 180 Million pple must produce all kinds of talents

Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 11:39am On Aug 06, 2017
Fidha254:

pic 1: All olympic medals won by African countries combined, except for the last olympics in rio.

Pic 2: Rio Olympics African ranking

Pic 3: Overal medal winners of the last iaaf World championship held in Beijing, first time ever won by an African country....

Nigeria is supposed to be leading the continent, in 180 Million pple must produce all kinds of talents
It isn't about number!
Success in Athletics is determined by hard work and genetics. If at least one of those 2 things is absent; especially "hard work", then no large population country like Nigeria or any other can be successful.

For example, not all Ethiopians and Kenyans are good in Athletics. Most of the great athletes were and still are the Oromo Ethiopians and Nilotic Kenyans.
Re: Why Can't Nigeria Produce Good Athletes Like Other Countries? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Aug 06, 2017
Satoshi:
A lot as to do with the entire system in Nigeria. Catch them young.

A chance to start early now and win BIG. A deviation from the norm. Why on earth should anyone be paid only 12times in a whole year? Break free from the injustice. Do yourself a favor. Smile to the bank every week . I repeat EVERY WEEK. To avoid ban I won't post any link here. Send me a Private Message for details
drop ur email

(1) (Reply)

Try My Great Punting Skills / Barcelona Sue's Neymar Over Contract Breach / Cristiano Share Beautiful Photo Of His Family On Instagram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.