Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,788 members, 7,820,760 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies (1100 Views)

CAMA: FG Says Religious Bodies Must Submit Details Of Their Finances / Uchenna Obuna Killed In The Ozubulu Catholic Church Massacre (Photos) / Anambra Catholic Church Massacre: Facebook Users Reveal What "Bishop" Did (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 6:36am On Aug 07, 2017
This is not an attack on religion but an attempt to get to the heart of the subject matter of religion in Nigeria.

The massacre in the Anambra church has warranted this.

I daresay that if the so-called criminal called Bishop had not made that building donation to the church, this massacre would have been avoided. They were sending a message to him. The fact that he is the donor of the church while owing them explains why they cowardly carried out the dastardly act. Religious institutions are fuelling crime and corruption by accepting criminal donations and praying for criminal donors.

Religious institutions are fond of accepting donations even when they know the sources of funding are questionable. Churches now do bazaars and launchings when they know politicians will be in church. Criminals and very corrupt people have adopted a new model: steal as much resources as you can, donate part of the proceeds to a church/mosque, get your conscience massaged and then repeat the cycle.

We just saw the case of Sokoto State buying a N700 million building for the Sultan from the funds that's meant for paying workers. Note that the Sultan already owns this building and they are just buying it back from him with public funds.

We saw the mess that CAN was under Oritsejafor and we all remember the N7 billion election scandal.

Manufacturers face challenges with getting forex for their transactions but forex for pilgrimage is readily available and heavily subsidised.

Religious institutions are part of the corruption problem in Nigeria. We need reforms in the way we see and practise religion in this part of the World or we would keep moving in circles.

Individuals are now building and donating churches and mosques in different parts of Nigeria while mass poverty remains pervasive.

In 2013, former President Goodluck Jonathan travelled to Mpu, in Aninri local govt of Enugu State to commission a gigantic church built and donated by Sen. Ike Ekweremadu. Nobody questioned the source of funding. Just beside this gigantic church was a dilapidated primary school not even fit enough for pigs.

We are not heading anywhere with this grand conspiracy of the elite across all strata of society to subjugate the masses. My take is that we need to regulate the funding of religious bodies and we need sound regulation for the activities of NGOs in the manner that the UK Charities Commission operates.

Take back your country Nigerians!

Cc: Mynd44 Lalasticla

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Nobody: 7:37am On Aug 07, 2017
Why didn't you write this article since? Why wait till now when people are mourning to post this? What do you want to gain from this ?
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 7:44am On Aug 07, 2017
asuustrike2009:
Why didn't you write this article since? Why wait till now when people are mourning to post this? What do you want to gain from this ?

I'm not gaining anything. I have already stated that the massacre warranted this. Events provoke thoughts. There wouldn't be mourning in the first place if the church had not accepted a building donation from a fraudulent source. What those guys did was to send a message to the guy they were after. This is a broad subject matter and we are looking at a bigger picture. This is not a thread for a fight. If you don't have a meaningful contribution to make, you will be wasting space here.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Nobody: 7:50am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

I'm not gaining anything. I have already stated that the massacre warranted this. Events provoke thoughts. This is not a thread for a fight. If you don't have a meaningful contribution to make, you will be wasting space here.
Why would use the massacre to drive your point. Must you wait till bad thing happens before writing an article of this nature. Most writers in this forum are fun of waiting till bad things happen to post interesting article.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 7:57am On Aug 07, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Why would use the massacre to drive your point. Must you wait till bad thing happens before writing an article of this nature. Most writers in this forum are fun of waiting till bad things happen to post interesting article.

Events provoke thoughts. Didn't you get that part? I'm trying to strike at the heart of the matter and not just display emotions as you're doing.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by felixomor: 8:02am On Aug 07, 2017
Nobody knows the identity of the killers yet
Investigation has not even been concluded

Yet You already assume to know the reason behind the killings.

Wehdone!
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 8:08am On Aug 07, 2017
felixomor:
Nobody knows the identity of the killers yet
Investigation has not even been concluded

Yet You already assume to know the reason behind the killings.

Wehdone!

I do not need to know the identity of the perpetrators to share my thoughts on what I think is a larger national problem beyond the massacre. Be thoughtful in your comments, don't just comment for the sake of it.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/239400-anambra-church-shooting-death-toll-rises-police-confirm-attack-linked-igbos-living-abroad.html
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

Events provoke thoughts. Didn't you get that part? I'm trying to strike at the heart of the matter and not just display emotions as you're doing.
You're driving a point but post now that most persons are mourning. Do you add fire to already existing smoke? Don't you think the smoke should quench before lighting up fire
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 8:16am On Aug 07, 2017
asuustrike2009:

You're driving a point but post now that most persons are mourning. Do you add fire to already existing smoke? Don't you think the smoke should quench before lighting up fire

After mourning, what next? Mourning does not solve the problem in any way. You must reflect as you mourn. The real question is how do you prevent incidents like this from re-occurring. And my post is not focused on the ugly incident per se but the broader issue of religion, corruption and national development. That's what you should be discussing, not being emotional.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by felixomor: 8:20am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

I do not need to know the identity of the perpetrators to share my thoughts on what I think is a larger national problem beyond the massacre. Be thoughtful in your comments, don't just comment for the sake of it.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/239400-anambra-church-shooting-death-toll-rises-police-confirm-attack-linked-igbos-living-abroad.html
I simply advocated for proper investigation before writing. That same article clearly says police are investigating.
But u wont read deep.
I have never seen mysterious murder that was completely investigated within hours, let alone in Nigeria.

Dont let that irk you.
Everyone can deduce from the timing of your writing, what u have in mind.

I will rather tell you to be thoughtful before opening threads based on your assumptions.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 8:46am On Aug 07, 2017
felixomor:

I simply advocated for proper investigation before writing. That same article clearly says police are investigating.
But u wont read deep.
I have never seen mysterious murder that was completely investigated within hours, let alone in Nigeria.

Dont let that irk you.
Everyone can deduce from the timing of your writing, what u have in mind.

I will rather tell you to be thoughtful before opening threads based on your assumptions.

You're beating about the bush. The larger issue being discussed is religion, corruption and national development. That's what you should be discussing not rhetorics.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by felixomor: 9:12am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

You're beating about the bush. The larger issue being discussed is religion, corruption and national development. That's what you should be discussing not rhetorics.
You are the one
Beating around the bush,
After u were caught trying to push your agenda with the murder of people in a church.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 9:59am On Aug 07, 2017
felixomor:

You are the one
Beating around the bush,
After u were caught trying to push your agenda with the murder of people in a church.

Talking about agenda, you sound quite pathetic. You leave the elephant in the room and keep harping on frivolities.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by felixomor: 10:00am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

Talking about agenda, you sound quite pathetic. You leave the elephant in the room and keep harping on frivolities.

So you admit you are a frivolity?
Good

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Nobody: 10:39am On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

After mourning, what next? Mourning does not solve the problem in any way. You must reflect as you mourn. The real question is how do you prevent incidents like this from re-occurring. And my post is not focused on the ugly incident per se but the broader issue of religion, corruption and national development. That's what you should be discussing, not being emotional.
Kk your Excellency!
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by urheme: 12:02pm On Aug 07, 2017
OP, this is a good lamentation.

Religion is no longer credible because a lot of bad and stolen money is involve.

I agree with you, this area need to be regulated.

I Began to wonder!!!!!....if this was how missionaries ran churches...who will believe in God
The Church has committed so many offenses....deceit, misappropriation, cheating, robbery,criminal negligence, Bribery and corruption, criminal omissions and a whole lot more.

Because missionary ran schools My father's generation were able to go to school,.....but now poor Nigerians cannot even afford the schools set up by churches..........but thank to God Our Government ran schools too, majority of us were able to afford..... our Government is more charitable and more benevolent than the religious body.

No body will build anything and dash Govt...yet we want free everything.....let us start paying all those tithe, seed of faith, sacrificial giving, first fruit and all that it is to our Govt ......Govt will manage these fund better.......there should be a regulation to remove the control of monies and properties from the hands of the so call Religious.

Make Religion unprofitable....and see the true prophets
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Deeldorado: 12:27pm On Aug 07, 2017
urheme:
OP, this is a good lamentation.

Religion is no longer credible because a lot of bad and stolen money is involve.

I agree with you, this area need to be regulated.

I Began to wonder!!!!!....if this was how missionaries ran churches...who will believe in God
The Church has committed so many offenses....deceit, misappropriation, cheating, robbery,criminal negligence, Bribery and corruption, criminal omissions and a whole lot more.

Because missionary ran schools My father's generation were able to go to school,.....but now poor Nigerians cannot even afford the schools set up by churches..........but thank Our Government ran schools too, majority of us were able to afford..... our Government is more charitable and more benevolent than the religious body.

No body will build anything and dash Govt...yet we want free everything.....let us start paying all those tithe, seed of faith, sacrificial giving, first fruit and all that it is......Govt will manage these fund better.......there should be a regulation to remove the control of monies and properties from the hands of the so call Religious.

Make Religion unprofitable....and see the true prophets

You're right. Churches definitely made more meaningful impact in the past.
Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by AbCompiler042: 12:41pm On Aug 07, 2017
Photos taken during dedication of the church where many worshippers were killed....more here:http://www.cfrmagazine.com/2017/08/ozubulu-massacre-who-is-bishop-nnamdi.html?m=1

Re: Catholic Church Massacre: We Need To Regulate The Funding Of Religious Bodies by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 07, 2017
Deeldorado:

"Wow onto those that condemn my own whereas their heart are full of guilt"Exp 5:10

(1) (Reply)

The Dangers Of An Unrenewed Mind. Part 1 / Be Christ-Conscious - Joseph Prince / JUST IN: Popular Nigerian Pastor Shot Dead In Portharcourt Two Days To His.....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.