Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,267 members, 7,818,923 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:10 AM

Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me (6183 Views)

Universities Awarding Degrees In Less Than 6 Months, PhD Below 1 Year - NUC / Nigerian Science & Mathematics Olympiad Past Questions: Free Download / UK Universities With The Highest First Cass Degrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by kocvalour(m): 5:13am On Aug 10, 2017
nothing is really working in this country..

maybe it's best I drop out and face what I really like doing
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by johncreek: 6:32am On Aug 10, 2017
[url=newjobs.tk]Relatedjobs[/url]
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by AfraTales(m): 6:34am On Aug 10, 2017
I'll create a professional blog with a .com custom domain for you at #3000

You can see some samples here:
www.infoguideafrica.com
www.afratales.com.ng

If you are interested, contact me here >>> http://www.infoguideafrica.com/p/contact-us.html

LIMITED DOMAIN NAMES AVAILABLE!
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 10, 2017
khristal87:

Funny exp though, like i said i interracted with vet, doctors, ph.d students who came fr research dt ws hw i learnt feed formulation n mixing....i ws in 400l then.....if u re enterprising , u ll get enof practical knowledge bf u graduate.......in ma final yr proj i formulated n mixed with no assistance frm ma ever busy supervisor...d result ws excellent, i ws even aplauded during presentation

Since feeds acounts for about 60 to 80% of total cost of production in animal enterprise, being able to come up with best mixing is what makes u a scientist. I once used grinded, dried cassava peels to replace maize in a pig feed formular. It saved me to cut down the cost of fibre like wheat offal, but needs more addition of toxin binder.

There was a time a feed formular was smuggled into the farm. The formular failed depite that the formular contained 24% CP. I used a software to analyze the formular and found out that fiber content was over 14% but in pigs nutrition, should never exceed 6%. Excess fibre hindred nitrogen absorption (research paper cited) and nitrogen is the building block of protein.

1 Like

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 10, 2017
laudate:

Exactly!! You hit the nail on the head! cheesy It may be LAUTECH graduates that have a peculiar problem adapting to their studies abroad. undecided

If you are looking for best brains, go to Lautech. Just that students population is at the crisis level and most students resort to developing their selves through vain theories. They excel in architecture, urban planning, medical courses but not sciences.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 10, 2017
kocvalour:

You only need the certificate as a firmality in case you may need it for political office in the future. The rest lies on your self development.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Adimine(m): 9:01am On Aug 10, 2017
Meel:
. What is your discipline sir??
timo,timo u sighted bro happy strike anniversary.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Adimine(m): 9:02am On Aug 10, 2017
CrescentMoon:

If you are looking for best brains, go to Lautech. Just that students population is at the crisis level and most students resort to developing their selves through vain theories. They excel in architecture, urban planning, medical courses but not sciences.
and engineering too bro
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Meel: 9:03am On Aug 10, 2017
Adimine:
timo,timo u sighted bro happy strike anniversary.
Mr ona, ona baba ona

Help us beg Mr gbese to reopenlautech,

1 Like

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by mohammedmuz: 10:20am On Aug 10, 2017
Are you talking about Lautech (B.Tech) - Hons., that fetched me and my friend 3 scholarships each within 4 months in different world class universities? In fact, you must be specific in what so ever you write.

#TeamFET

1 Like

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Adimine(m): 11:39am On Aug 10, 2017
CrescentMoon:

lautech engineering is of d best in d country
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by 4dor: 11:59am On Aug 10, 2017
CrescentMoon:

You will get to know these once you are out of school if you are lucky to get a job or good place for intern. If you don't work in a ruminant enterprise, who will give you his sheep to dehoove? We learnt notching, branding in school, when i wanted to number over 900 pigs, once ear tags were given to pigs, other pigs started chewing them off. If you use hot branding, pig skin will grow and shed off the brand. I started researching and came across a proven method.

Unfortunately, the man you quoted is telling you the truth and you should listen. Btw before you start your sermon about when I'm out of school, my first degree is from Nigeria, I walked straight to a Masters in a top UK school and I've been working since then. Don't stop with what you're taught in class, information is readily available, devour it.

1 Like

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by IAMJojo(m): 12:23pm On Aug 10, 2017
CrescentMoon:

Imagine students peeping through that lecture room close to HODs office in Aph dept. for lecture. A room that can't accommodate 50 students and we were more than 500. Add AGN, AEE and have more than 1500 students using 1000LT. My coursemates were looking at me as if I were a mercenary during exams because you would only see me in school for exams.
LWKMD i can relate wit dis,back then in school,na me wen dea houx nor dea attend classes na coursemate dea call dea ask how d exams go be,am nt being proud here bt just making sense,na convoy dea 4lo me enta exam hall,
Naija i hail thee
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 10, 2017
Lalasticlala pls fp o
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 1:08pm On Aug 10, 2017
kocvalour:

Don't drop out.

1 Like

Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 10, 2017
Adimine:
and engineering too bro

Well, I can approve of mechanical and chemical engineering departments. Anyone that is good in CSE developed himself. I once witnessed guys writing CSE exam done 9 days earlier at General in a room with marking scheme. It was to be submitted with 3k. Those questions too hard. My friend was in FSE. Now he works in the banking system. They complained that that course makes no sense. I borrowed on Agric engineering course at 300L - I can swear that I read the handout a day to the exam and scored A.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 10, 2017
IAMJojo:

LWKMD i can relate wit dis,back then in school,na me wen dea houx nor dea attend classes na coursemate dea call dea ask how d exams go be,am nt being proud here bt just making sense,na convoy dea 4lo me enta exam hall,
Naija i hail thee

Lol. Those big girls know how to form "bond" for Africa. I would not even struggle for seats - my seat often reserved by bond formers.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 1:54pm On Aug 10, 2017
mohammedmuz:
Are you talking about Lautech (B.Tech) - Hons., that fetched me and my friend 3 scholarships each within 4 months in different world class universities? In fact, you must be specific in what so ever you write.

#TeamFET

Are you now studying for Masters degree abroad? Did you advantages over others given your lautech background? That FET sounds like FSE to me. They said one Igbo prof is in FSE that can lecture from morning till night.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by kunlesmiles(m): 2:03pm On Aug 10, 2017
Y Una Dey cast Lautech na,tyns ar pretty bad in Lautech presently.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Desyner: 3:03pm On Aug 10, 2017
Statsocial:

Oga o these universities should be compelled to stop admitting more than their carrying capacities.
If we talk now they say we hate them.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Desyner: 3:11pm On Aug 10, 2017
ThatCEO:
There is nothing like education in Nigeria. Maybe sometimes in the next 50 years, we will get it right.

A few differences.

1. our Practice of waiting 2 weeks to exam before reading cannot work there.

2. Exams are meant to see if you can perform a task not to see who can score the highest.

3. To buttress point 3, you are usually allowed to bring as much materials as you like. Nobody is expecting you to cram any formula.

4. There are people who can help you in the lab. Students usually help each other, if you don't know how to use an equipment, it is because you are proud. FULL STOP.

5. You don't need to do any PGD or whatever, the first semester will be hard but that's it, you get to blend.

6. Nigerians usually believe they can perform better than a white man given the same educational background. I say this to you...SHAT-TAP-THERE.

7. Our first class is meant for the one who can cram the most. Their first is not meant for crammers, is not meant for the most brilliant, but is meant for the consistent student who does the basics well.
God bless you. Most Nigerian graduates suffer from the crowd mentality. They carry a false superiority complex. Thank God for private unis that is exposing them gradually.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by BaEnki(m): 3:22pm On Aug 10, 2017
CrescentMoon:

This observation is limited to science degrees, medical courses not inclusive. I relied on textbooks for 5 years in Lautech. We were 1500 students using a hall marked 1000 lecture theater. Public address system not working. If you get to the hall by 7am for lecture, you won't find a standing space let alone siting.

Same thing is happening here in OAU, had to be in 8am class before its 7am to have a sitting space in overcrowded and less inspiring class.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by suremanpatriot: 7:05pm On Aug 10, 2017
Useless uncle runnin his b.cavity
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 9:02pm On Aug 10, 2017
suremanpatriot:
Useless uncle runnin his b.cavity

Let him catch u, ehn
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by giftedben: 6:22am On Aug 11, 2017
CrescentMoon:

This observation is limited to science degrees, medical courses not inclusive. I relied on textbooks for 5 years in Lautech. We were 1500 students using a hall marked 1000 lecture theater. Public address system not working. If you get to the hall by 7am for lecture, you won't find a standing space let alone siting.

You are correct and right on point, I studied computer science in one of the higher institutions here in Nigeria, Can you believe during my time there I never touched a single computer system, is not that the computer was not made available, it was right there in front of me, covered in dust.

The textbook that was sold in the book shops was actually research work done by students as in copy and paste, these research work was copied and pasted by lecturers of the institution.

I quickly knew I was in trouble and I started saving money to get my first laptop and subscribing to online classes, downloading videos and PDF files to keep myself up-to-date with the knowledge of western world.

My point is these Nigerian institutions are half baked, You don't go there to learn skill but learn how to spell by dictation.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Nobody: 7:35am On Aug 11, 2017
giftedben:

You are correct and right on point, I studied computer science in one of the higher institutions here in Nigeria, Can you believe during my time there I never touched a single computer system, is not that the computer was not made available, it was right there in front of me, covered in dust.

The textbook that was sold in the book shops was actually research work done by students as in copy and paste, these research work was copied and pasted by lecturers of the institution.

I quickly knew I was in trouble and I started saving money to get my first laptop and subscribing to online classes, downloading videos and PDF files to keep myself up-to-date with the knowledge of western world.

My point is these Nigerian institutions are half baked, You don't go there to learn skill but learn how to spell by dictation.

Ability to read and pass exams is what determines a good student here. Nothing more.
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by laudate: 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2017
giftedben:

Kindly speak for yourself. The scenario you described, may have been peculiar to your own institution, or to a few public institutions within your vicinity. It is not the same scenario in all other higher institutions in Nigeria, especially the new private universities. In many cases these days, you submit assignments online, and provide CDs/DVDs copies of your work to your lecturers.

In some private universities, the computer science students are also encouraged to take professional Microsoft exams and get Cisco certifications, while studying for their first degrees so they can be fully prepared to fit into the ICT world. sad
Re: Useless Nigerian Science Degrees: What An Uncle Abroad Told Me by Magjoel(m): 11:25pm On Sep 20, 2017
Pls, for master in material science and engineering, how many years will it take to study abroad?

(1) (2) (Reply)

P.t.i Entrance Examination Result Is Out / Refurbished Unilag Rugged Shodeinde Hall(pics) / The "Pepper Dem Gang" Mentality.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.