Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Nostalgia - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nostalgia (343 Views)

Nostalgia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nostalgia by lalaponcus(m): 9:22am On Aug 10, 2017
NOSTALGIA

I miss the good old days.

Moments when I would rush to play ball at the mini Iyeru okin pitch with Olumide Bankole and get a big bruise as compensation for my efforts.
Then returning home to a loving mother who would offer a rebuke for my head and TCP or iodine for my bruise.
Thank God those bruises have turned to lesson laden scars.

I miss the good old days

Golden moments when I would eat pounded yam at Akeem Olatinwo's house and make use of good bushmeat to wash down the semovita eaten at Mustapha Afeez's place.
All the while defying the order of my loving mom who had insisted that I stopped eating out at other people's houses.
Thank God that I did eat out.
For the word 'friendship' connotes an element of trust and an expression of freedom.
Afterall, the good proverb had said 'Kokoro ti n je efo, inu efo lo wa' (the insect that eats the leaf is inside the leaf)
And 'ile ni aseni ngbe'(the culprit resides within)
Two proverbs that show that even ones family members may be the ones trying to bring down an individual.

Moments I would fidget so much while waiting for my date, Popoola Funmi to come to Mr Biggs Offa branch.
All the while having the sum of nine hundred naira in my pockets, a text message pamphlet (which had Omotola Jolade and Genevieve Nnaji's pictures on it) which I had already vigorously read the love messages in other to lay down my game, and a wonderful smell emanating from my shirt which had been drenched with mommy's perfume which she specially reserved for church.
Thank God that I did take her out.
For her polite decline of my love proposal taught me that life was not always sweet, and that girls would always eat that free meal even though they know that the offer would be declined.

Golden moments in class where five teachers and all the class children would gather around an exicted child who was stretching forth her/his hand to cut a birthday cake.

Oyinlola Alawaye's birthdays were the best.

As the rolls of buns, biscuits, sweets and a little portion of cake would make their way towards every child and I would snatch Kehinde Adio's portion and run away.
Thank God for such birthdays.
As they were a timely reminder of the reason why we needed to number our days, apply our mouths to thanks, and our hearts to wisdom.

I miss the old days

Moments when I would trek great lenghts across the roads and the railway tracks just to go and play the game of football on the Sega which was within Emmanuel Oni's home.
Running away from their vicious dog during the first ten minutes of arrival, while laughing hysterically during the next hour as the commentators 'RESHOOT; GOL" kept reflecting the fact that I could never beat the duo brothers, Faith and Emma, in any game.

Thank God for such moments.
As lifelong friendships are forged over such banters and lifelong lessons on love are taught in such seemingly insignificant moments.

I remember the good old days.

Moments when mumsi and I would attend elaborate weddings and I would not be allowed to taste any meal.
Instead, such packaged jollof rice would find their way into the fridge and on the third day, would be surveyed if it had turned black or transformed into any human part.
For nollywood movies and church testimonies had taught us that poisons disguised as jollof rice would transform into a dark substance at the third day.

Beeni.
All meals had that three days rule which must not be broke.
Thank God for such moments.
As they taught us the value of always saving for the future.

To be continued tomorrow.
#BASHORUN

Okontas.com

Agadi nwanyị anaghị akaru nka na egwu ọ mara agba.
– An old woman is never too old to perform her
favorite dance step.

(1) (Reply)

What Is Good, And What Is Bad? / Nature / I Am Orange

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.