Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,544 members, 7,827,036 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:17 AM

Nigerian Dad, American Daughter - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Dad, American Daughter (647 Views)

"My daughter can speak 3 international languages" Nigerian Dad praise daughter / Nigerian Dad Squandered Money Son Sent From Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Dad, American Daughter by cocochanel5: 3:02am On Aug 12, 2017
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here but I've been lurking on these boards for a while! Well to start off, I'm born and raised in the U.S. and my dad is from Lagos, Nigeria (Yoruba) and my mom is American from Chicago. I understand that American parents and Nigerian parents can be very different from each other.
I need some help dealing with my dad. He is literally impossible to talk to. He thinks his opinion on everything (including my own life) is more important than mine. I am not able to say anything without him getting extremely mad and threatening to kick me out of the house. He pretty much treats me like I'm a child and I'm not able to voice my opinion about anything because my opinion and my thoughts are always wrong. Mind you, I am 27. For my entire life, my relationship with my father has been like this and now that my mother has recently passed, I don't know how to deal with him. So I guess I'm wondering if this normal? Or how do you guys deal with your parents if they are like this
Re: Nigerian Dad, American Daughter by bencarson007(m): 3:44am On Aug 12, 2017
Sit him down and try explaining to him that you aint a kid. And of a truth, you are not a kid @27.
Problem is Nigerian parents can be very domineering but you can win them when you put your foot down.
Finish your schooling if you are not don't yet ,get a job and live your life or else, you still be tied to his apron strings.
Ciao!
Re: Nigerian Dad, American Daughter by Nobody: 5:13am On Aug 12, 2017
Move out when you can, so you can start living your own life and making your own decisions.

But since you're still living under his roof, you just have to try harder to live peacefully w/ him. You can't change him; you only have control over your own attitude and behaviour.

If you want your freedom, moving out is your best bet.

(1) (Reply)

Wow! Amazing! What You Can Use Coke Cola For Apart From Drinking . / Photo Of The Day / How Possible Is These Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.