Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,612 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 (2694 Views)

Late 2016 Passat CC With Tsi Engine 4 Cylinder For Sale. / Brabus' World's Most Powerful Twelve-cylinder SUV Is 4½ Times The Price Of G63 / 25 4-Cylinder Cars No V8 Can Keep Up With (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 7:56am On Aug 12, 2017
Hello gurus in the house please come to my aid. My car consumption fuel rate was very high and the check light came up. I got it scanned p240 code came up. My mechanic checked and noted that the cat converter was off and needs a replacement (Gazzuzz also insisted on a replacement). I got it replaced hoping the fuel consumption rate will reduce but its still high. 3 days after I got the cat converter replaced I got a check light of which when my mechanic scanned it, i got a P2423 code. He notified that the sensor (a black cable with three wire running from the cat converter to the)needs to be replaced.
My worries now is that will that reduce the fuel consumption rate??

Please gurus in the house, come to my aid
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:08am On Aug 12, 2017
CC honmusa
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:11am On Aug 12, 2017
CC Mayor2013
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:18am On Aug 12, 2017
CC Gazzuzz
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:19am On Aug 12, 2017
Chikebrain:
Hello gurus in the house please come to my aid. My car consumption fuel rate was very high and the check light came up. I got it scanned p240 code came up. My mechanic checked and noted that the cat converter was off and needs a replacement (Gazzuzz also insisted on a replacement). I got it replaced hoping the fuel consumption rate will reduce but its still high. 3 days after I got the cat converter replaced I got a check light of which when my mechanic scanned it, i got a P2423 code. He notified that the sensor (a black cable with three wire running from the cat converter to the)needs to be replaced.

What Causes the P2423 Code?

A P2423 code is caused by a number of possible problems, including:

Damaged or defective catalytic converter

Damaged or defective oxygen sensors (will typically accompany an oxygen sensor diagnostic trouble code)

Incorrect fuel use

Damaged or defective coolant temperature sensor

Damaged or defective mass air flow sensor

Damaged or defective manifold air sensor

Damaged or defective fuel pressure regulator or fuel injection system/components

Ignition misfire

Oil contamination

Possible leaks from exhaust components upstream from the catalytic converter

What are the Symptoms of the P2423 Code?

Warning or Check Engine Light may illuminate
Vehicle may go into “limp” mode
Vehicle may hesitate during acceleration
Vehicle may sound different when accelerating, making “hissing” noises
Engine may stall
Engine may not start
How Does a Mechanic Diagnose the P2423 Code?

A mechanic may use one or more of the following methods to diagnose a P2423 code:

Use an OBD-II scanner to check for a stored P2423 code

Inspect the exhaust system for leaks

Visually inspect all wiring and connectors for damage

Use a temperature gun to measure exhaust pipe temperatures before and after the catalytic converter

Measure upstream and downstream oxygen sensor operations on bank 1 with an oscilloscope

Upstream measurements should be between 0.350 and 0.900 volts in closed-loop operation
Downstream measurements should be around 0.500 volts and hold during the duration of the engine idle

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/p2423-obd-ii-trouble-code-secondary-air-injection-system-switching-valve-stuck-open-bank-1-by-parker-hill
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:24am On Aug 12, 2017
@Gazzuzz read through this before now

"Vehicle may go into “limp” mode
Vehicle may hesitate during acceleration
Vehicle may sound different when accelerating, making “hissing” noises
Engine may stall
Engine may not start"

But my car does none of them
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by mayor2013: 8:25am On Aug 12, 2017
Chikebrain:

Was that the only code gotten? This code points to the upstream catalytic converter. Is your fan running directly? Do you still have your thermostat intact. When last did you tune your engine up?
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:26am On Aug 12, 2017
mayor2013:

Was that the only code gotten
Yes
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by mayor2013: 8:29am On Aug 12, 2017
Chikebrain:

Yes

Answer my previous further questions.any sign of black suites from exhaust tail pipe
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 8:31am On Aug 12, 2017
mayor2013:

Answer my previous further questions.any sign of black suites from exhaust tail pipe
Don't understand the suite but if you mean black smoke, none at all
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:49am On Aug 12, 2017
mayor2013:

Was that the only code gotten? This code points to the upstream catalytic converter. Is your fan running directly? Do you still have your thermostat intact. When last did you tune your engine up?

Chikebrain:

Don't understand the suite but if you mean black smoke, none at all

sadly reading and understanding are not the same thing. Please go to a mechanic.
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by Chikebrain: 9:08am On Aug 12, 2017
mayor2013:

Thermostat still intact. Did servicing last 3 weeks
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by mayor2013: 9:11am On Aug 12, 2017
Chikebrain:

Thermostat still intact. Did servicing last 3 weeks

What type of servicing? Oil change I guess. Funny enough that ain't servicing
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by honmusa(m): 11:08am On Aug 12, 2017
Chikebrain:

I don't see Catalyst replacement giving a car a significant fuel mileage even when it is absent.
Your car need physical examination and further troubleshooting. Book appointment with any good techie around you.
Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by torres89: 7:19pm On Aug 13, 2017
this is why I hate codes
they could be very misleading most times

1 Like 1 Share

Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by honmusa(m): 9:12pm On Aug 13, 2017
torres89:
this is why I hate codes

they could be very misleading most times
The problem is not code but the people that lack skill and patience to do further troubleshooting .
codes are not meant to be taking literarily but jst a small part of long troubleshooting procedure.

1 Like

Re: P2423 On A 4 Cylinder Camry 05 by seanfer(m): 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2020
I'm facing this same Issue now.. The car won't start early in the morning except i try like 4 times...
Cc kingreign
Mayor2013
Gazzuzz

(1) (Reply)

Clicking Noise From My Engine Is It A Cause For Concern? / In Need Of U241E(10 pin) u250e(13 pin) u40e, a541e(5pin)used gear / How Do I Import Salvaged Cars, Fix Them And Sell

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.