Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:32 AM

Understanding Religion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Understanding Religion (1184 Views)

Luciferean Series I: Understanding Christianity / Jesus Has No Sword In His Mouth. Understanding Revelation 1:16 And 2:16 / The Definition Of Divine Harmony - Understanding Creation & Non-interference (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Religion by redsun(m): 4:51pm On Feb 10, 2007
I don't think religion should be a problematic problem in Nigeria.Religion is a way of life,it's inborn,it is not some thing you acquire,it is every second activity,how you communicate with your inner being,how you relate with every thing in life including solving problems.Man is the image of God,so you are never far away from him,'we can only exhibit God's attributes if we understand the way he works. You should be able to see,feel and explain it yourself, it causes problem because people don't understand what it's all about,just like so many other things in Africa.
Re: Understanding Religion by Seun(m): 9:58pm On Mar 29, 2007
Your opinion of the nature of religion is very much based on Christianity. The whole "image of God" part. wink
Re: Understanding Religion by monshege: 4:34am On Apr 08, 2007
redsun:

I don't think religion should be a problematic problem in Nigeria.Religion is a way of life,it's inborn,it is not some thing you acquire,it is every second activity,how you communicate with your inner being,how you relate with every thing in life including solving problems.Man is the image of God,so you are never far away from him,'we can only exhibit God's attributes if we understand the way he works. You should be able to see,feel and explain it yourself, it causes problem because people don't understand what it's all about,just like so many other things in Africa.

i disagree with half of the things you said about religion, to me religion is the main problem we have. it is the cause of many ills that befall our society today, remove the religion and its attachments and we have a peaceful environment. most people are so focused on religion (whatever kind of religious institution they belong to) that they neglect having a closer relationship with the God they serve, that is if they actually believe there is a God somewhere. to me, religion is not the important thing but having a relationship with your God
Re: Understanding Religion by jagunlabi(m): 5:04pm On Apr 08, 2007
Separating God from religion is the next step up in the spiritual evolution of man.

1 Like

Re: Understanding Religion by redsun(m): 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2007
What i mean is that man should exibit the image of god not withstanding the religious practices be it african traditional religion,which to me is more real and original to africans.
Re: Understanding Religion by Nobody: 5:34am On Apr 13, 2007
Anyone out there should help me.
Re: Understanding Religion by monshege: 10:00pm On Apr 13, 2007
topefisayo:

Anyone out there should help me. I am a xtian and seriously in love with a muslim lady.We love each other so much and plan to get married to each other but the snag there is both parents are saying we cannot. Please help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

what kind of help do you need?
Re: Understanding Religion by jagunlabi(m): 3:26pm On Apr 15, 2007
That's what i meant by separation of God and religion.God transcends the religious boundaries humans try so hard to erect amongst themselves and fight so hard to maintain.
redsun:

What i mean is that man should exibit the image of god not withstanding the religious practices be it african traditional religion,which to me is more real and original to africans.
Re: Understanding Religion by redsun(m): 6:21pm On Apr 15, 2007
You are the architect of your own life,marry an alian if you have an understanding.one thing for sure,you are the one and only.religion is just a man made concept of dealing with the question of life,you can as well create your own concept based on your undertanding and personal choices,if it appeals to others good,if it dosn't good,just get on with your life. Your parents responsibility is to bear you and bring you up as a child,as soon as you become an adult,the attachment is severed in terms of the choice you make to create the nest generation.
Re: Understanding Religion by Njgirl1: 1:23am On Jul 28, 2011
@topefisayo I think both of you should elope under the conditions that you have enough money to raise a family without needing your families' help and you really love her and wont abandon her in her middle age living her alone with the kids(trust me I have seen that happen before) and no family to turn to. Its just a suggestion you dont have to do it infact I ve changed my mind undecided dont elope
Re: Understanding Religion by benodic: 11:59am On Jul 28, 2011
@ jagunlabi

Separating God from religion is the next step up in the spiritual evolution of man.

nice one jagunlabi
this makes a wonderful food for thought.

for me an organized outer religion is where i go to meet people that i share the same ideals and same outlook in life with. a place where i can discuss matters about God that is closest to my heart without any one shouting "blasphemy!"

when it really comes to God. to me it has always been very personal. i learnt a little bit about God as i passed through the teachings of Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, African traditional religion etc.

i then discovered that each is simply giving its own perspective on God viz-a-viz the story of the 6 blind men who tried to describe the elephant. none of this perspective is perfect on its own. all are just trying to fill in parts of the jig saw puzzle that is God.

each religion also wets one appetite to go on his journey to experience God and add to the growing knowledge about God. so there is no need for Religion to be a do or die affair or to be an end in itself rather it should be a way pointer and the rest should be left to God and soul to discover each other.

this is my humble submission.
Re: Understanding Religion by thehomer: 9:15am On Jul 29, 2011
redsun:

I don't think religion should be a problematic problem in Nigeria.

Why not? It is one of the lines along which people can and do segregate themselves.

redsun:

Religion is a way of life,it's inborn,it is not some thing you acquire,it is every second activity,how you communicate with your inner being,how you relate with every thing in life including solving problems.

I disagree. Religion is not inborn. If it were, that would imply that it is genetic and it can easily be demonstrated that it isn't.
Even if I were to grant that it is inborn, does that make it acceptable? I don't think so. Since lots of people can identify genetic traits that they do not like.

redsun:

Man is the image of God,so you are never far away from him,'we can only exhibit God's attributes if we understand the way he works. You should be able to see,feel and explain it yourself, it causes problem because people don't understand what it's all about,just like so many other things in Africa.

Before you go too far, I'd like to know which God shares man's image?

(1) (Reply)

Salvation - Matters Arising / Can Someone Explain Exekiel 23: 20 To Me: I Need To Explain It To 12yr Old / Freethought Traditions In The Islamic World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.