Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,295 members, 7,839,456 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place (1353 Views)

Club Brugge Vs Manchester United: UCL Play-off (0 - 4) On 26th August 2015 / Manchester United Vs Club Brugge : UCL Play-off (3 - 1) On 18th August 2015 / Fenerbahce Vs Arsenal - Champions League Play-off (0 - 3) On 21 August 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by smile4kenn(m): 12:43am On Feb 16, 2010
The Premier League is considering introducing a play-off system to determine the fourth club to qualify for the following season's European Champions League.

Currently the club which finishes fourth goes through but the new proposal would mean a play-off between the clubs finishing fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh. The intention is to inject more competition into a league in which qualification has for years remained in the hands of the same four clubs.

Premier League sources have confirmed that the play-off proposal was presented at the most recent meeting of all clubs, on 4 February, and the league's chief executive, Richard Scudamore, was authorised to return with further details in April.

Read more
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/feb/14/premier-league-play-off-champions-league
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Borat1: 1:47am On Feb 16, 2010
What a load of bull. . .
Welcome news to cats like the gaynners and the scousers tongue
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by HNIC(m): 9:08am On Feb 16, 2010
Won't work!
Talks about it will evaporate. . . . just like the 39th match did tongue
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Sauron1: 12:57pm On Feb 16, 2010
HNIC:

Won't work!
Talks about it will evaporate. . . . just like the 39th match did tongue

Only the top 4 clubs don't support it.
If the 16 others do, the play-off rule might go through cos you need only 70%.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Emperoh(m): 2:30pm On Feb 16, 2010
~Sauron~:

Only the top 4 clubs don't support it.
If the 16 others do, the play-off rule might go through cos you need only 70%.

That do be injustice at the highest order as i heard 14 out of 20 is neede to make it a law.
Thats like opening a back door for those outta the top four to come in!!
Where were they when the season started? Who would want to play another 3 -4 matches at the end of a season?
Abeg they had better shelve this plan joo!!
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by HNIC(m): 4:21pm On Feb 16, 2010
Emperoh:

That do be injustice at the highest order as i heard 14 out of 20 is neede to make it a law.
Where were they when the season started? Who would want to play another 3 -4 matches at the end of a season?

Good talk Emperoh
The FA are always looking for ways to 'con' fans off their hard earned money.
Even in the lower leagues, I still feel it's senseless, talkless of in the EPL.
Let's wait and see though,Stranger things have happened before!
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Sauron1: 7:56pm On Feb 16, 2010
Emperoh:

I welcome this new rule.
Pathetic clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool will sit up with this schitzo.
I hate the fact that Arsene Wenger can line up mediocre players and still qualify for the UCL week in week out.

Let Arsenal/Liverpool go into play-off games if they finish 4th. . . . .
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by allboyz(m): 8:10pm On Feb 16, 2010
~Sauron~:

I welcome this new rule.
Pathetic clubs like Arsenal and Liverpool will sit up with this schitzo.
I hate the fact that Arsene Wenger can line up mediocre players and still qualify for the UCL week in week out.

Let Arsenal/Liverpool go into play-off games if they finish 4th. . . . .

if this rule come to be. . .pity clubs like Man UTD Coz they will strruggle to qualify for the top 3 in da EPL in few years time. . . .
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Sauron1: 8:12pm On Feb 16, 2010
allboyz:

if this rule come to be. . .pity clubs like Man UTD Coz they will strruggle to qualify for the top 3 in da EPL in few years time. . . .

In the 17 yrs of the PREM. . . . .United have not failed yet to finish in the TOP THREE.
What do you think this is? We are not wacky like the Arses. grin
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by allboyz(m): 8:17pm On Feb 16, 2010
and for Years we have not failed to Qualify for the UCL. . . .i careless if the rules holds anyways. . . Clubs like Chavz and Manure will cry in the nearest future coz of unity and ageing players! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Sauron1: 8:19pm On Feb 16, 2010
allboyz:

and for Years we have not failed to Qualify for the UCL. . . .i careless if the rules holds anyways. . . Clubs like Chavz and Manure will cry in the nearest future coz of unity and ageing players! grin grin grin grin grin

United have more young players than Arsenal.
Go check your facts!!!
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Tatase(f): 1:45am On Feb 17, 2010
I think it's a good idea. The clubs from 4th-7th are usually kind of the same caliber of team. It will make things a little more interesting in terms of the English teams going to the CL. Plus, I'll never say no to having more football at the end of the season.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by AndreUweh(m): 8:11pm On Feb 18, 2010
The plan sulks. At the end of the season, players are tired, some are injured, some are sold and some are with their national teams preparing for a major tournaments.
The then NFA implemeted some thing similar to this some years ago. After Iwuanyanwu Nationale had won the league that year. They had to go for a super league after 8 of their regular players that had won the league had jetted to Europe, South Africa and North Africa.
Wikki tourist, won the super league and yet they finished 4th and 11 points behind Nationale that season.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by tayoast(m): 9:40pm On Feb 18, 2010
it won't see any light.

it 'll be rubbished, just like d 39th step
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Nobody: 8:28am On Feb 19, 2010
Sauron,
It's not right.
Teams that have earned the right,no matter how silly they are,to play in the competition should represent England.
How ludicrous is it that a team that finishes seventh in the League ends up in the Champions League?
It will further serve to weaken England in the UEFA club ranking.
It's just another self-serving move by the FA to make money by staging more games.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Sauron1: 11:39pm On Feb 19, 2010
Eastbay:

Sauron,
It's not right.
Teams that have earned the right,no matter how silly they are,to play in the competition should represent England.
How ludicrous is it that a team that finishes seventh in the League ends up in the Champions League?
It will further serve to weaken England in the UEFA club ranking.
It's just another self-serving move by the FA to make money by staging more games.

Stop being self-righteous.
Liverpool finished 5th in 2004/5 and still played in the Champions League.

Play-Off is the new world order. It's like saying teams that have earned the right in Championship should automatically qualify without play-offs.
I am tired of seeing mediocre teams like Arsenal/Liverpool represent England in CL. The managers of these teams are contented in finishing 3rd and 4th without competing for the title. Look at Wenger for instance - he believes finishing 3rd is better than winning a domestic title.

Let us have play-offs. Competition brings out the best in football clubs.
If Wenger knows he could miss the money-spinning UCL by playing his embryos and a retarded Fabianski in goal then he would sit tight and invest massively in his club. I welcome the idea with glee. We all complain of a boring summer - it's about time the FA push the envelope.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Ibime(m): 12:57am On Feb 20, 2010
@ Topic,

We dont worry about such things.

Thats for Arsenal, Liverpool and the rest of them to worry about.
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by tayoast(m): 9:43pm On Mar 05, 2010
Re: Premier League Plans Play-off For Last Champions League Place by Nobody: 3:47pm On Mar 08, 2010
~Sauron~:

Stop being self-righteous.
Liverpool finished 5th in 2004/5 and still played in the Champions League.
Dude,stop twisting the argument to suit your position.
Liverpool finished fifth,but you conveniently forgot that they won the Champions League that same seaoson and didn't participate in a play-off in England to compete.They were granted a concession by UEFA.
~Sauron~:

Play-Off is the new world order. It's like saying teams that have earned the right in Championship should automatically qualify without play-offs.

Because it's done in the Netherlands & Belgium doesn't make it a new world order.Till any of the other big five leagues (Germany,Spain,Italy,France) adopt it,I'm afraid it's hare-brained and half-assed at best.
~Sauron~:

I am tired of seeing mediocre teams like Arsenal/Liverpool represent England in CL. The managers of these teams are contented in finishing 3rd and 4th without competing for the title. Look at Wenger for instance - he believes finishing 3rd is better than winning a domestic title.

And who else in England can represent England?Man City?Aston Villa?Tottenham?Teams who can't even get into advanced stages of the UEFA Cup/Europa League
Are you kidding me?
As ridiculous as Wenger's theory is,as long as England still has four slots in the CL,they must be allowed to compete in the competition.A play-off for fourth place will not change Wengers mentality if he finishes third every season.
~Sauron~:

Let us have play-offs. Competition brings out the best in football clubs.
If Wenger knows he could miss the money-spinning UCL by playing his embryos and a retarded Fabianski in goal then he would sit tight and invest massively in his club. I welcome the idea with glee. We all complain of a boring summer - it's about time the FA push the envelope.
You talk of competition.But all the teams had 38 games to qualify for the UCL.Why then should a team have to play two extra games to qualify when others had the same 38 games?In the spirit of competition,is it fair that teams have to play more games than the otehrs?
You make a point that Arsenal don't invest in players.But Spurs have some of the dullest players in this world.Aston Villa hardly splash the cash around to get good players.
Man City splash the cash too much for their own good to even know what they are doing.Are these the teams that will compete?
At the moment,truth is Liverpool and Arsenal are the best options England have got.And chances are that even if the play-offs are introduced,these teams will still win the place at stake.So what's the point of re-inventing the process when the same participants will emerge?How many of Man City and Aston Villa and Spurs have ever come close to cracking the top four,aside from this season where liverpool have faltered seriously?
If the summer is boring,you should realise that clubs and players need to recuperate from a long and gruelling season.It's unfair to the players to expect them to keep on playing when the season is over.
Fact is:the FA still is looking for how to con a buck out of long-suffering fans.They aren't after the interest of fans and never have been,never will be.

(1) (Reply)

I Can't Sleep Because Of Real Madrid.Help!!! / Chelsea FC Finally Became Champions Of Europe For The First Time In Munich / Leo Messi to receive the Golden Boot Today (Wednesday)!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.