Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion (8693 Views)

Coca-cola Full-year Profit Falls Below Expectations, Nigeria Volume Decline / Nigerian Breweries’ Half Year Profit After Tax Declines To N8.2 Billion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by SkenolProp(m): 8:45am On Aug 16, 2017
ok
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Nobody: 8:45am On Aug 16, 2017
Acidosis:

Best in stealing your money? There's nothing best about a bank
GT no dey steal like that... for me tho. I can't say for other types of account.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by bimbim75: 8:48am On Aug 16, 2017
Kapose:
A review of the half year performance shows positive growth across all key financial metrics and improved strategic positioning of the brand. Gross earnings for the period grew by 2% to ₦214.1billion from ₦209.9billion reported in the June 2016; driven primarily by growth in investment securities income as well as income from risk assets. Profit before tax stood at ₦101.1billion, representing a growth of 18% over ₦85.69billion recorded in the corresponding period of June 2016.

http://naira24.com/guaranty-trust-bank-plc-released-audited-financial-results-half-year-ended-june-30-2017-nigerian-london-stock-exchanges/
Worst bank !still deducting #65 for transfer from my money when other banks have reduced theirs.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Realdeals(m): 8:49am On Aug 16, 2017
SMS notification and FX charges on Naira MasterCard will account for bulk of the profit.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Nevee: 8:51am On Aug 16, 2017
just2endowed:
If the income or profit comes from investing in risk free securities such as government securities etc, then the economy is doom. And these huge profits comes from the criminal ideas from the cbn governor.

Let's me give u guys example. As at last year, the cbn ban individual investors from investing in treasury bills if they do not have minimum 50 million naira to invest in primary market from the initial 100,000. These gives banks to take control of TB in primary market, and in turn sell to individuals investors in the secondary market after they have profit from it,and these business is traded everyday.

For others that keep there money In the banks, these banks will use ur money to buy these security in these risk free securities and there by making up to 18% on TB or government bonds after paying peanut of 5% as Interest on deposit
But there are mutual funds that accept as low as #5, 000 and these funds are aggregated and re-invested in treasury bills and other high-end investments.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Boss13: 8:57am On Aug 16, 2017
douchesnozzle:
All these paper and accounting profits are just posted to enrich the major shareholders which are the executives. The owners with majority of the shares would only make money when they post high profit so that a higher percentage can be shared among the shareholders. A major question that should be asked is are the banks following the prudential guidelines as provided by Banking and other financial institutions act BOFIA. Does this profit transmit to the growth of the economy and welfare of the staff in this organization? A lot of these banks posting high accounting profit have a lot of bad loans which are not fully provisioned. The prudential guidelines demands that a 100% provisioning is done for a bad loan but most of these banks still provision 50% with the hope that the loans can still be recovered. This practice isnt sustainable in the long run, but the major shareholders don't care, they are there to make the money and jump ship when things go south. That's why we still have men sitting in the board of major organizations who have ran other organizations aground.

Whilst I agree with you, I believe that CBN Bank examiners visits these Banks and review their books. I am also wondering how come the Bank made a 100 billion in a recession. It does make economic sense. How did it generate this profit? Which sectors did it lend to? Businesses are dying and Banks are posting profit. The economic is in recession and Banks are posting profits. It doesn't follow at all. That is why I agree with you.

2 Likes

Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by joenor(m): 8:58am On Aug 16, 2017
hahaha, how bro?
wamiikechukwu:
80% of that profit comes from cheating customers.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by agrovick(m): 8:59am On Aug 16, 2017
AryaSand:
Why won't they? Ori olori, Ese Elese.

grin
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Boss13: 9:03am On Aug 16, 2017
just2endowed:
If the income or profit comes from investing in risk free securities such as government securities etc, then the economy is doom. And these huge profits comes from the criminal ideas from the cbn governor.

Let's me give u guys example. As at last year, the cbn ban individual investors from investing in treasury bills if they do not have minimum 50 million naira to invest in primary market from the initial 100,000. These gives banks to take control of TB in primary market, and in turn sell to individuals investors in the secondary market after they have profit from it,and these business is traded everyday.

For others that keep there money In the banks, these banks will use ur money to buy these security in these risk free securities and there by making up to 18% on TB or government bonds after paying peanut of 5% as Interest on deposit

Do you mind CBN, rather than encourage a spending policy; they increased interest rate on treasury bills encouraging Banks to divert funds to purchase them. This same CBN has created about 5 exchange rates in this country. Who would see Treasury Bills at 15% and still go to fixed term deposit in a bank at 8% - it can't happen.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Pabodan: 9:06am On Aug 16, 2017
Impressive, and they should also be preparing to pay about N32bn as corporate taxes to government. No tax avoidance scheme please.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by higgs: 9:09am On Aug 16, 2017
The policies of the current CBN discourage banks from lending.Why create risk assets ( lend to individuals and companies) when You can buy NTBs at 18%?
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by joenor(m): 9:34am On Aug 16, 2017
They bin nice though, but charges sha is pretty high. Card Maintenance, annual fee, sms charges
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by DJInfluence: 9:34am On Aug 16, 2017
wamiikechukwu:
80% of that profit comes from cheating customers.
i tell you. My money follow for this profit. tongue tongue
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Segibambo(m): 9:36am On Aug 16, 2017
We’ll be diving head first to creating our first video. In the first part, we looked at a detailed description of the user interface of our choice software, VideoScribe. The basic elements of a whiteboard video being a script/storyboard, voice over and post production process.

Writing your first Script and Story Board

Script

We’ll be making a short script and storyboard for a hypothetical company called Blue-Hyphen, a security solution company that prevents cyber attacks and other related security issues....

Read more... https://www.nairaland.com/3991553/learn-how-create-whiteboard-video
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by cooldudeng(m): 9:53am On Aug 16, 2017
Boss13:

Do you mind CBN, rather than encourage a spending policy; they increased interest rate on treasury bills encouraging Banks to divert funds to purchase them. This same CBN has created about 5 exchange rates in this country. Who would see Treasury Bills at 15% and still go to fixed term deposit in a bank at 8% - it can't happen.

Encourage spending when inflation is already hitting the roof!!! Treasury Bills are just not a vehicle to lend to the government but more importantly to also mop up excess cash from the economy to control inflation.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by cooldudeng(m): 10:00am On Aug 16, 2017
I still feel their charges are conservative. For God sake, have you tried banking with other banks. I had to remove my funds from one bank like that because the charges are just ridiculous

Also, GTB/ other banks are not a telecommunication companies and the revenue on SMS doesn't even sit with them. What's is the cost of sending a text from your phone to a friend vs the cost being charged by these banks on SMS?
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by DONADAMS(m): 10:05am On Aug 16, 2017
why won't they make 100billion naira?? only yesterday I went to thier customer care...I spent 3hrs on the queue...nonsense
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by NOETHNICITY(m): 10:20am On Aug 16, 2017
Yet interest rate continue to soar as retrenchment persists.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Nobody: 10:30am On Aug 16, 2017
Boss13:

Whilst I agree with you, I believe that CBN Bank examiners visits these Banks and review their books. I am also wondering how come the Bank made a 100 billion in a recession. It does make economic sense. How did it generate this profit? Which sectors did it lend to? Businesses are dying and Banks are posting profit. The economic is in recession and Banks are posting profits. It doesn't follow at all. That is why I agree with you.

This "recession" whatever is for ignorant minds. In any economic environment with any iota of capitalism, where there are losers , there are also gainers.
For example of there is a crash in the real estate market with prices going down due to poor demand which can be as a result of reduced disposable income translating to reduced propensity for individuals and corporations to save which translates to fewer bank deposits and reduced power of banks to loan money which leads to higher interest rates for real estate developers leading to higher development costs, coupled with reduced customer demand for the reasons highlited first...(if u are lost, then u r lost)....translates to a poor day for the sellers but a payday for the buyers...so u see that one party's loss is another's gain. Its only recession whenthe general populace is on the loosing side.
For your info this "recession" is propaganda that gullible Nigerians swallow. Nigeria has poor forex trade practices, poor cash flow management from its earnings and terrible monetary policy. Most of the goods and services we consume are imported, causing excessive demand for foreign currencies which cannot be sustained causing devaluation of our currency, putting service providers with imported input under pressure...which translates to the consumers. If you are asked to define the word "recession" how will u define it?
Read.

1 Like

Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by emelda86(f): 11:00am On Aug 16, 2017
U see and them go dey criticize MMM, na the same thing them dey do.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by Viccur(m): 11:02am On Aug 16, 2017
Gtb that charges me 50naira on just one sms. Legal cheaters
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by seunmsg(m): 11:07am On Aug 16, 2017
douchesnozzle:
All these paper and accounting profits are just posted to enrich the major shareholders which are the executives. The owners with majority of the shares would only make money when they post high profit so that a higher percentage can be shared among the shareholders. A major question that should be asked is are the banks following the prudential guidelines as provided by Banking and other financial institutions act BOFIA. Does this profit transmit to the growth of the economy and welfare of the staff in this organization? A lot of these banks posting high accounting profit have a lot of bad loans which are not fully provisioned. The prudential guidelines demands that a 100% provisioning is done for a bad loan but most of these banks still provision 50% with the hope that the loans can still be recovered. This practice isnt sustainable in the long run, but the major shareholders don't care, they are there to make the money and jump ship when things go south. That's why we still have men sitting in the board of major organizations who have ran other organizations aground.

That is why the law provides for a statutory audit of the institution by an independent external auditor before they declare their annual result. In addition, CBN inspectorate division and FRCN also carry out oversight functions to ensure that banks financial statement are in compliance with all relevant laws and guidelines.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by realnas(m): 11:36am On Aug 16, 2017
Juicy dividends awaits shareholders
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by FemiJnJ(m): 11:48am On Aug 16, 2017

JnJRecruting

Job placement for fresh graduate
Experience: Little or no
Honours: Minimum of Second Class
Salary: #20,000 - #40,000

Please submit your CV to jnjrecruits@hotmail.com
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by mapist(m): 3:29pm On Aug 16, 2017
fashrola:
Massive

REALLY massive, bro..i salute them. They know their onions.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by mapist(m): 3:31pm On Aug 16, 2017
Acidosis:

Best in stealing your money? There's nothing best about a bank

Myopic thoughts from a myopic mind.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by mapist(m): 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2017
Rich4god:
Huge profits... Poor salary to staffs.

Lie,bro. Lie.
Re: GTBank Half Year Profit hit N100billion by mapist(m): 3:36pm On Aug 16, 2017
just2endowed:

You can as well keep the monies in your house and see how delicate it is to keep funds outside it's proper home.

We have to stop this backward attitude of criticising negatively. Constructive criticisms ll help us all.

Lastly, have you ever owned or banked with a foreign bank? If you have or know who does, you ll know the charges here are peanuts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Craigslist.com: Nigeria / CBN Suspends COVID-Linked Loan Relief And Raises Interest Rates To 9% / Why Do Nigerian Small Businesses Fail From Inception?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.