Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. (717 Views)

What Is The Weirdest Thing You Have Done To Survive? / Want To Know How To Deal With OFFICE POLITICS? / Boy Begging A Lady That Carries Oxygen To Survive, Burst Into Tears (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by hollowpot15684(m): 9:54am On Aug 16, 2017
Have you ever find yourself entangled in situations where it is you against the rest of the majority at your place of work?

well, welcome to office politics. today I'm going to give the fundamental tips that energizes my spirit whenever I smell politics in place of work.

Most times, office politics are targeted at you when you disagree with your colleagues or at a point you don't share the same view with them. They may want you to lower your standard to theirs, and if otherwise, threaten you with your Job. They don't usually come straight at your job but their action do.

Nigeria is full of many corrupt people who are very substandard in their way of life, the society allows them to thrive in multitude while the majority of the labour space is occupied by them. you don't have to follow their lead because once you start to do so, you are highly prone to their attacks and finally dismissal from your place of work.

Here are the Tips:

1. Focus on God (Faith): For a christian/muslim who realize office politics is targeted at him/her, the most important thing is to get your mind off it and focus on God as he is the beginning and the end and nothing else comes above him. The target of the devil is to jeopardize your spirit and make you feel less of yourself (Lack of self confidence), but once you focus on God and believe he is above any other person, then whatever any politics against you is irrelevant.

2. Focus on the job (Be Diligent): Jokes apart, there should be no time for resting at the place of work. a quite diligent person understands that time for work is time for work and nothing else should be done at such time,No excuse to goto work late. For reference purpose, there might be times your colleagues may accuse you of negligence but once you are diligent enough you will have enough example to reference to them. As of today, negligence is the most brutal offense I have encountered in any office space. when you are encountered with this issue, you better start arranging your things and be ready to leave because there is nothing more indicting than when your boss accept you don't carry out your daily duties diligently. But in other to curb such accusation that might rise due to office politics. One must worked for it by been diligent/hardworking and also very punctual.

3. Make sure to take credit for all your work: This I find the most interesting. Usually people who play office politics are those who do no work but always want to take credit for other peoples work. when a job is accomplished by you, they may be the first person to report its completion. Don't ever give them the chance to do so. they are draining you and don't want you to progress. There are times they come as a friend to ask you the level of completion in order to prepare themselves to take the credit but never let them outshine you. Report only to your supervisor.
And if you find yourself on the same team with them, give them 100% cooperation but not 100% attention. On this aspect, I call them the impostors.

4. Never Argue with them : Remember the old saying "Never argue with a foolish person for they will drag you down to their level of foolishness". when office politics is on, those who are involved usually and deliberately start arguments, in other to generate heat with you. they cause this commotion to create a perfect scene for them to say that implicating stuff they have in mind, and some of them who dont really know how to play the game say personal things they know about you.
Sometimes back, I got into argument with one of this guys and when he realizes I have the upper hand, he resorted to say personal things like: you smoke too much, you have no respect. which obviously are no matters of place of work. Try in as much as possible to avoid scenes like this for they will drag you down the drain with them.

5. Correct them: There are times they want to make wrong statements or pass the wrong judgment on you, ( it is their best shortcuts to play politics ) always remind them that they are not in the position to say/do that. we have to be conscious of this people, they are prepared to judge you at every single instance. it is not their duty to do so. such duty is designated to your supervisor and only him/her is capable of judging, criticizing and appraising everybody.

6. Never allow them push you to the wall: This time they have passed their limit to get you and you already noticed their move. A mistake might have occurred and they shift the blame on you. Don't give them the chance. We are all humans and definitely there are limit to where we can allow people push us to. When you noticed too much foul play and you know who is behind such drama, it is the best you confront and engage them wisely. I usually make use of threat in this case, I frown my face and tell them "You will meet God ahead, he is waiting for you. by the time you start to suffer for your mistakes, everybody here including the money you make here will not be there for you". After this I usually go to my supervisor and explain to him what I understand about what is going on and the person behind it. if the supervisor supports them, its easy, go to a superior personnel who will understands you better.
A caveat, Never take responsibility for anything you are not responsible of, once you do, you have no standard anymore!!

7. look for another Job: Chances are that the job is not suitable for you. Normally, a place of work where politics strive is not usually suitable for dream chasers or those who wants to accomplish something tangible. I realize that those usually involve in office politics are the ones who see the job as their final destination, they have made up their mind to do whatever it takes to stay/die at that particular place. They are visionless and unconscious about it. It is usually the best to find a better place to express yourself rather than continuing to strive among this dream eaters.

Use this tips to energize the rest of your week and add more to it if you have encountered any. Happy Wednesday!!
Re: How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 16, 2017
The best way is to confront the sons of bitches. Call them out. Do not hold back. Start up a racket in the office when your boss is around but make sure you state precisely what they are about, what they are up to. Don't sugar-coat it. Don't cower when they try to deviate from the subject matter. Stand firm. Don't let them escape that day. Choose a glorious day to do it & make it count.

You might get a 2-week fine but they'll never try sh!t with you again. Heck, some will even switch to your camp out of shock.

Tried & trusted method since 2013. cool

1 Like

Re: How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by hollowpot15684(m): 11:59am On Jan 10, 2018
ShyCypher:
The best way is to confront the sons of bitches. Call them out. Do not hold back. Start up a racket in the office when your boss is around but make sure you state precisely what they are about, what they are up to. Don't sugar-coat it. Don't cower when they try to deviate from the subject matter. Stand firm. Don't let them escape that day. Choose a glorious day to do it & make it count.

You might get a 2-week fine but they'll never try sh!t with you again. Heck, some will even switch to your camp out of shock.

Tried & trusted method since 2013. cool

Method works perfectly well !!

Merci..
Re: How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jan 10, 2018
hollowpot15684:

Method works perfectly well !!

Merci..

You tried it?
Re: How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by hollowpot15684(m): 4:18pm On Jan 10, 2018
ShyCypher:

You tried it?

yes i did..
Re: How To Survive Office Politics At Your Place Of Work. by Nobody: 12:06am On Jan 11, 2018
hollowpot15684:

yes i did..

Hehehe
Glad to know it worked well. grin

(1) (Reply)

Six Beards Grooming Tips You Need To Keep In Mind For The Coming Year / Nobody / 20ft Caravan/container, Suitable For Shop, Store, Office Etc For Sale In PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.