Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,225 members, 7,957,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail (12962 Views)

The New Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan Standard Gauge Rail Line Undergoing Test-Running / Ogun: People Scoop Palm Oil Accidentally Discharged From Oil Tanker (Video) / FG Takes Delivery Of Rail Wagons From China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by Blue3k(m): 11:12pm On Aug 16, 2017
omohayek:

The sheer scale of the negligence at work here is almost unbelievable! This sort of idiocy is exactly what worries me about the FG's involvement in these projects: even if the rail lines are concessioned to private operators like GE to run, what is to stop crooked, stupid or vote-seeking politicians from undermining the operators through measures like refusing to allow them to raise prices after drastically devaluing the Naira, or suddenly banning the importation of vital machine parts in the name of "Buy Nigerian", even when no Nigerian equivalents exist?

I'm surprised nobody thought that big red bold was the important. Most wars don't destroy infastructure that badly. Then we see mismanagement by foolish coupist killed railroads. Nigerians should wise up and not trust government to run these assets.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by isnovic(m): 11:27pm On Aug 16, 2017
Another $16bn will be invested in additional rail routes to link up all the country’s state capitals and extend across the northern border into neighbouring Niger’s southern city of Maradi, according to the Transport Ministry. Amaechi said it was too early to share a timeline or funding details as the government is still talking to investors for this public-private project.

The truth is that Nigeria runs a second country called Niger. This country enjoy the sympathies of the Northern leaders as they consider it their second home plus it provides it ( the north) with the apparent numerical strength during census and elections.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by tshege(m): 1:38am On Aug 17, 2017
LordofNaija:
Diversification! when we are spending scarce resources prospecting for oil in borno and the rest of the Chad basin. someone with knowledge of basic geology will no that it is a fruitless venture

Oil can be present anywhere so far it satisfies the geology. Afterall there's oil in Niger Republic.

And I am not being tribal about it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by tshege(m): 1:41am On Aug 17, 2017
isnovic:
Another $16bn will be invested in additional rail routes to link up all the country’s state capitals and extend across the northern border into neighbouring Niger’s southern city of Maradi, according to the Transport Ministry. Amaechi said it was too early to share a timeline or funding details as the government is still talking to investors for this public-private project.

The truth is Nigeria runs a second country called Niger. This is country enjoy the sympathies of the Norther leaders as they consider it their second home plus they provide it the apparent numerical strength during census and elections.

A landlocked country needs a seaport.
A coastal country makes money from seaports and access to the seaports.
Now who should be more friends if not someone who has what you need!
Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by chiddyj: 1:53am On Aug 17, 2017
tshege:

A landlocked country needs a seaport.
A coastal country makes money from seaports and access to the seaports.
Now who should be more friends if not someone who has what you need!
flawed point! I beleive that the nairalander u responded to makes more sense. what does niger have that it wants to move to our seaport or the other way round? how come no bilateral relations agreements have been signed b4 sinking such monies into this venture?! how come we havent heard of any govt proclamation of this agreement! what if it is meant to ferry in more cattle and possible illegal voters and heads for any census? ! I think that is unfair

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by Blue3k(m): 1:55am On Aug 17, 2017
freshest4live:

Don't you think 41 Billion dollars is still way too high?

Personally I dont. Nigeria is importing the materials, expertise and the project is huge. The Lagos to calabar rail is actually a first. If the meet the hype this should be an epic improvement in transport.

saintkeppy:
In my opinion, it's a good development if FG is serious about it. I also prefer Railway linking Commerial hub cities of West Africa along the coast E.g Lagos-Cotonou-Lome-Accra which Is more eonomically viable than linking Kano to Niger Republic in that report.
But government of those countries must come together and have an MOU.
Trans West African Railway.

You're right. ECOWAS is planning for the rail you're talking about right now it's just talk. Maybe in future they can simply connect to Lagos Calabar rail.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by tshege(m): 2:33am On Aug 17, 2017
chiddyj:

flawed point! I beleive that the nairalander u responded to makes more sense. what does niger have that it wants to move to our seaport or the other way round? how come no bilateral relations agreements have been signed b4 sinking such monies into this venture?! how come we havent heard of any govt proclamation of this agreement! what if it is meant to ferry in more cattle and possible illegal voters and heads for any census? ! I think that is unfair

Most of Niger Republic trade is done with Cameroon because of the language homogeneity.
Every country needs and will trade at any point in time. Niger is a third world country, so it must have high imports and don't forget that she is a member of ECOWAS.
But it doesn't bother you that Niger has higher economic ties with Cameroon, a non ECOWAS member?

Where does all it's machineries, food, medicine, automobile, textile and even it's fucking military hardware have to pass through? Ports, seaports! Yet Nigeria is not making money from all these despite being a next door neighbour and even the region's superpower.

Nigeria dey fuckup if she doesn't take advantage of her super enormous resources.

Nigeria does not need to make new agreement since the ecowas free trade zone is in place
Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by peterobosa: 8:08am On Aug 17, 2017
How to Plan for the Future of your Business

If you have a business, or you are thinking of setting up one, there is one key thing you need to know: Business Succession Planning.

How you plan for your business to ensure continuity can very well be the defining factor in the kind of legacy you leave behind. As such, it is important that you seek advice from the right professionals.

Whatever your questions may be, Follow FBNQuest on Twitter and tweet your questions with the hashtag #AskTheExpert to get expert advice.
Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by Blue3k(m): 6:52pm On Aug 17, 2017
chiddyj:

If it happens it's makes no difference to current reality except the eople come and go a lot easier. We just get added tax benefit of more trade. What needs to be done is securing borders since a lot of smuggling and grey market trade occurs. The porus borders isdue has only gotten lip service so far. I would assume before you hop on a train you show ID anyway.

I do agree we don't really need Bilateral agreement since ECOWAS has ETLS and common tariff for goods. We also have talks to expand trade corridors like K^2M and Zinder-Daura-Jigawa-Kano. There's always been trade but it's low with Nigeria have deficit.

Pictures below:

Nigeria exports to Niger
Nigeria imports from Niger
Niger exports overall
Places Niger exports to

Re: Nigeria Seeks To Diversify From Oil With $41bn Of Rail by saintkeppy(m): 9:18pm On Aug 17, 2017
Blue3k:

Personally I dont. Nigeria is importing the materials, expertise and the project is huge. The Lagos to calabar rail is actually a first. If the meet the hype this should be an epic improvement in transport.

You're right. ECOWAS is planning for the rail you're talking about right now it's just talk. Maybe in future they can simply connect to Lagos Calabar rail.
Un seriousness on the part of some African leaders a railway project that would have bring about Eonomic boom among member nations thru' Trade, tourism etc is something they're delaying. My wish Is to see Lag-Cal railway line come to fruition atleast this will cut across my Akwa-Cross Region. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Passport Office / BREAKING: Airport Workers Shut Down FAAN Headquarters Over Beating Of Colleague / Two Teenagers Die In Lagos Boat Accident

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.