Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:42 PM

The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! (39159 Views)

Differences Between A CV And A Resume / What Is The Difference Between A Resume And A Cover Letter? / Write A Resume That Gets You Hired: 6 Common Resume Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Ignyte(m): 9:20pm On Aug 16, 2017
Dear job seeker, even thoughyou use both words interchangeably they don't mean the same thing. Read below and stop living in Ignorance.

CV
A CV can be easily mistaken for a résumé, however, there is a notable difference. A résumé is supposed to be carried by applicants with no relevant career experience or no experience whatsoever. On the other hand, CVs are to be carried by candidates with relevant experience.
Format of a CV
A CV normally includes the following elements −
Name − Full name of the applicant without general salutations like Mr., Ms.
Address − the permanent address.
Summary − a brief description of what you have achieved in your profession.
Academic Qualification − your academic qualification
Additional Knowledge − Skills you have acquired beyond your profession.
Acquired Skills − Soft Skills
Programming Languages − if any
Software Tools − Software tools you use in your profession (MS Word, Excel)
Operating System Platforms − operating system you use (Windows, Mac)
Database Management System − if any
Personal Skills − soft skills
Experience Breakdown − detailed explanation of your experience
Achievements & Interests − Hobbies. Achievements in professional life
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true.

The First Picture Below is a CV

Resume
A résumé is a document used to present an applicant’s backgrounds and skills while applying for new employment. It’s a summary of a candidate’s job experience and education.
Format of a Résumé
Although the templates of résumés vary from profession to profession, the most widely accepted format consists of −
Address − the permanent address
Objective − the aim of your professional life
Education − your academic qualification
Skills − areas of expertise in your profession
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true

The Second Picture Below is a Resume.

Now that you know this; Want a creative Resume? Please contact me on whatsappp/Call: 07037534762 or email:peterjev6@gmail.com

Source: https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438092429604232&set=a.613972015349615.1073741829.100002104662296&type=3&theater

Cc: Lalasticalala

13 Likes 10 Shares

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2017
You don try
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by thesicilian: 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2017
Thanks OP.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Niyeal(m): 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2017
HRM doesn't care just send one of the two

18 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by sonofthunder: 10:06pm On Aug 16, 2017
A résumé ( /ˈrɛzʊmeɪ/ , REZ -u-may or /rɛzʊˈmeɪ/ ; less frequently / ˈrɛzjʊmeɪ/ or /rɛzjʊˈmeɪ/ ; French: [ʁezyme] ), [a] also spelled resume ,[1] is a document used by a person to present their backgrounds and skills. Résumés can be used for a variety of reasons, but most often they are used to secure new employment. [2] A typical résumé contains a "summary" of relevant job experience and education , as its French origin (and its translation into Spanish as "resumen"wink implies. The résumé is usually one of the first items, along with a cover letter and sometimes an application for employment, which a potential employer sees regarding the job seeker and is typically used to screen applicants, often followed by an interview . The curriculum vitae (CV) used for employment purposes in the UK (and in other European countries) is more akin to the résumé—a shorter, summary version of one's education and experience—than to the longer and more detailed CV that is expected in U.S. academic circles. Generally, the résumé is substantially shorter than a CV in English Canada , the U.S. and Australia .[3] source: Wikipedia.

9 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by wahles(m): 10:10pm On Aug 16, 2017
O!
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Angelb4: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2017
I don tire for all these CV matter o. Work no dey una still dey tell us different versions of CV

30 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by KendrickAyomide: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2017
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 7:41am On Aug 17, 2017
Fair enough on the entry level - experienced hire angle but the bigger distinction is in length and use.

CV is longer and more detailed, like a profile you submit to the National Assembly when about to be nominated for a political position.

Resume is shorter and compressed, like that of a job seeker.

So someone can have both a CV and a resume depending on the purpose.

In any case, they are most times used interchngeably and there are cultural prefeences too. It is more popular to use CV for both in Nigeria (and many other countries), resume is more popular in other countries

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Dopeyomi(m): 7:42am On Aug 17, 2017
Pls o i need a job in chevron, should i apply with a Resume,Cv or i should look for potent jAzz to use?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by mactoni91(m): 7:43am On Aug 17, 2017
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by AlexCk: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2017
Nice one Op

Next should be,
The difference between CV, Résumé, & 'man who know man irrespective of the former' grin

3 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Terver90: 7:44am On Aug 17, 2017
Good one. Ni daever
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by thundafire: 7:45am On Aug 17, 2017
Niyeal:
HRM doesn't care just send one of the two
apart from sending any who do u knw in the company

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by YourWife(f): 7:46am On Aug 17, 2017
Thanks
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by lailo: 7:48am On Aug 17, 2017
from what u put up there,they are same thing.

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Pdazzle01(m): 7:51am On Aug 17, 2017
nice one
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Sanchez01: 7:52am On Aug 17, 2017
This is so wrong. The major difference between them is the bulkiness of content. CVs are more detailed and explicit and is not bound by number of pages while a resumé is lighter in content and is only required to highlight previous positions and roles carried out.

Another thing to note is that CVs are more required in the academic fields as it requires detailed academic works, researches, conferences attended alongside their timelines.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by SirLakes: 7:53am On Aug 17, 2017
Good one @opp
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by lonelydora: 7:55am On Aug 17, 2017
Okay ooooo.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by tosyne2much(m): 7:55am On Aug 17, 2017
But they are similar
The only difference I see here is that CV is more detailed than Resumè
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 17, 2017
C
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by vislabraye(m): 7:56am On Aug 17, 2017
Good. I guest most HRM do not know the difference. What matters most is having a good grade and some professional certifications.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by TheLogicalMind(m): 7:56am On Aug 17, 2017
Educational and informative.
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by ehinmowo: 7:57am On Aug 17, 2017
Join cawid forum

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by tunisbaba(m): 7:57am On Aug 17, 2017
Ignyte:
Dear job seeker, even thoughyou use both words interchangeably they don't mean the same thing. Read below and stop living in Ignorance.

CV
A CV can be easily mistaken for a résumé, however, there is a notable difference. A résumé is supposed to be carried by applicants with no relevant career experience or no experience whatsoever. On the other hand, CVs are to be carried by candidates with relevant experience.
Format of a CV
A CV normally includes the following elements −
Address − the permanent address.
Summary − a brief description of what you have achieved in your profession.
Academic Qualification − your academic qualification
Additional Knowledge − Skills you have acquired beyond your profession.
Acquired Skills − Soft Skills
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true.

The First Picture Below is a CV

Resume
A résumé is a document used to present an applicant’s backgrounds and skills while applying for new employment. It’s a summary of a candidate’s job experience and education.
Format of a Résumé
Although the templates of résumés vary from profession to profession, the most widely accepted format consists of −
Address − the permanent address
Objective − the aim of your professional life
Education − your academic qualification
Skills − areas of expertise in your profession
Declaration − stating all information provided about the applicant as true

The Second Picture Below is a Resume.

Now that you know this; Want a creative Resume? Please contact me on whatsappp/Call: 07037534762 or email:peterjev6@gmail.com

Source: https://web.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1438092429604232&set=a.613972015349615.1073741829.100002104662296&type=3&theater

Cc: Lalasticalala
Actually, there is NO difference between a resume and a CV. The difference: One is American English (Resume), one is British English. Any other differences are imagined.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by Nobody: 8:03am On Aug 17, 2017
I love this post
Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by marooh: 8:05am On Aug 17, 2017
In nigeria if you like know the diff btw series of CVS and ResumeEeeë
And if your inlaw or your dad friends is not an insider...you will keep on writing resumay grin till you have Oxford versions, still you will not smell the off talkmore ice.

Or else u are ready to join their occultic kiingdom where you can never help the poor. cry

2 Likes

Re: The Difference Between A Resume And A Cv. I Bet You Didn't Know! by ITbomb(m): 8:05am On Aug 17, 2017
i see clean formatted CV and Resume here and presumably PDF format

I had an experienced with a HR man who said most of the time applicants are not called is because they didnt submit their CV/Resume in MS Word for their software to capture data easily.

I wonder how these CV format here will hold when opened in another system and probably another version of MS Word

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why A First Class Graduate Might Not Get A Job? / These 10 Things On Your CV COULD Be The Reason You’re Not Getting Hired / My Ordeal With GNLD Neolife Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.