Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,723 members, 7,844,382 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

I No Longer Believe In Nigeria - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I No Longer Believe In Nigeria (464 Views)

I No Longer Have A Male Genital Organ, Bobrisky Replies Fans / Help! Jumia App Is No Longer Opening On My Phone / Haters In Romance Section Will Say I No Get Iphone7 (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I No Longer Believe In Nigeria by goodmanjustice: 2:21pm On Aug 17, 2017
In the year 2007 when I was admitted to study English and literature at Abia State University, I thought I had gotten on the path of financial security. I had worked hard before now to establish a remedial center with over eighty students, but I left this with establishment with my friend and embraced my admission. When I was told that my friend had changed the name of my remedial center and was in the process of appropriating everything to himself, I dint confront him, I felt it was not necessary given that I was in school, he was not, upon graduation I'll get a lecturing job and make it in life. By 2011 I was at FCE Kontagora, Niger state as a corps member. I was among the few corps members who were allowed to lecture. I lectured introduction to literature and varieties of English. I was on my way to my dream job. After service, I got praises from all quarters, the students pleaded with the the HOD to retain me. The HOD called me to promise that she would put in words for me to the registrar to have me retained. The dean, school of languages also promised that he would stop at nothing in making sure I get retained. All the lecturers loved me, or pretended they did. In my heart it was settled that I'll be retained. the department was in acute need of my services, and made no pretense about it.

Few months later, I saw an advert in a national daily declaring vacant position in the college, including English graduate assistant, I put in as you'll expect. Right before me, the positions were filled by the cronies of top men in the college, I had spent about 6 months after service, but some who just got their discharge certificate were given appointments, I wept, I witnessed first hand the much talked about favoritism and injustice in Nigeria. I lost hope in this country, as I saw people who should be under the tutelage of my students offered employment in the department where I laboured, while I go home to lick my wounds. The HOD claimed her hands were tired, the dean claimed that he had no hands at all. Even the Emir to whom I ran had no solution. A senator sent a letter of recommendation on me, addressed to the chairman governing council of the college, but my surname was the problem. For the first time I wondered why we were not given a destination form to choose where we would be born, was it my fault that I was Igbo. Each office I entered demanded to know my name, and I would just mention my name, the next question would be, ' what's your surname', I was scared of my surname, it closed door, brought frowns on faces. While I waited for things to turn out well, I enrolled for a pgde at National Open University Minna. Nothing came up. After the programme, things became really bad, I almost became a beggar with my certificate. A friend advised me to put in for a Masters programme, I borrowed fund and started an MA programme at the University of Ibadan and graduated with a Ph.D grade of 5.3. I called the college where I served to ask if I could get a chance, they said no vacancy.

I have applied to almost all the Universities in Nigeria, I have even applied to the University at Maidugiri, Gombe, all the Uni in the North, I do not even get an invitation for interview. They will ask for 30 copies of each of my cert, by the time I am done making photocopy, I would have spent 5k, sometimes I would have to travel to the school to submit the application, and they would write your name as if it would turn out good. I have also applied to Polytechnics, Colleges of Edu, Secondary schools etc.

Last year I was invited for a test at Oritamefa Baptist sch, Ibadan, I had to mention their name because they broke my heart the most. After the test, I emerged the best and was invited for an interview. They asked which church I attend, when I told them I was a member of Jehovah's Witnesses, they told me plainly they cant work with me, I fought to stifle the tears threatening to burst from my native spring. It was my last hope, I trekked to the venue of the interview, from Agbowo to general hospital, if you know the area. Now I have enrolled for a Ph.D programme, no job yet. Who expects me to believe in this country, who? That I have not joined internet fraud and or armed robbery is because of the native sense my mum inculcated in me as child. That I have not begun scheming how to shoot at any politician who comes to preach equity is because the bible says I should have self control, and even give my enemies food to eat. But there are many of my kinds who have lost it, so many let on the loose. I have decided to share this story as a relief from the pains in my heart. The ladies in my life have fled, believing that I am under a spell, who would not, at the age of thirty five with 3 degrees no job, no room of my own, and uncertainty about the next meal, but what spell is greater than a country that disregards its youths. My parents may soon give me a notice to quite, I cant guarantee my sanity would still be intact and with a punctured sanity, justice demands that no one blames me for my action. It would gladden my heart should this make front page.
Re: I No Longer Believe In Nigeria by ikbnice(m): 2:24pm On Aug 17, 2017
You even know a few top people who could put in words for you and yet it wasn't effective.
Now, picture the chance of someone, who knows nobody, to survive in this country. It is less than 0%. Anyone who still believes in Nigeria is either having a bite of the goddamn national cake or just simply an ediot.
Re: I No Longer Believe In Nigeria by tukdi: 2:39pm On Aug 17, 2017
You're just realising it now! cool

Sorry!!!

grin
Re: I No Longer Believe In Nigeria by tukdi: 2:47pm On Aug 17, 2017
Op yours is better, at least you have something upstairs undecided

You're better than NwaAmaikpe!!! grin

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Elders Back Restructuring / Testimony: God Save My Wife From Death And Made Me Rich / Salvage The Fallen Standard Of Education In Nigeria Pt.2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.