Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

The Return Of The Land Rover Defender - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The Return Of The Land Rover Defender (1966 Views)

2020 Land Rover Defender Returns With A Complete Makeover (photos) / Land Rover Launches Land Rover Defender Works V8 To Celebrate 70th Anniversary / This Land Rover Defender SVX Will Take You Through Flood And Mountains (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2017
Automotive News is reporting that Land Rover is bringing back their iconic model, Defender. Known also as Series I and II, the model has been in production since 1948 when it was introduced.

This will be a world vehicle as it will be available in the same basic format in North America and Europe.

It is rumored that the new model will loose the body on frame chassis and instead will have unibody construction.

Read http://naijadrives.com/iconic-land-rover-defender-is-coming-back/ for further details.

NaijaDrives.Com
The Ultimate Social Destination for Nigerian Motorists.

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 9:18pm On Aug 18, 2017
So long as they retain the shape, if not... cry

1 Like

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:
So long as they retain the shape, if not... cry

They can't.

The reason why they stopped selling them, at least in the US, is partly because of safety. They would have to make it streamlined and for it to fit in with the other models in their lineup.
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 10:09pm On Aug 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

They can't.

The reason why they stopped selling them, at least in the US, is partly because of safety. They would have to make it streamlined and for it to fit in with the other models in their lineup.
But the G-Wagon still sells na, it's unfair.
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:

But the G-Wagon still sells na, it's unfair.

The G Wagon did what the US government wanted in terms of safety or they already had it. Land Rover decided that it wasn't worth it for them to do the same for Defender. Remember that they had the Range Rovers and Discovery. Mercedes Benz really had nothing back then except for the G, in terms of SUV.

We're talking about airbags, passive seat belts, crush zones, 5mph bumpers, pedestrian safety, clean emissions.
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 11:17pm On Aug 18, 2017
EgunMogaji:

...airbags, passive seat belts,...
Retrofit, or are they lazy?
...crush zones,...
Modify the shell & welds (see as e dey sweet to talk am)
...5mph bumpers, pedestrian safety,...
Retrofit stylish ones, not the abhorrence of the 70s & 80s that US safety a**holes used to damage the looks of some sexy cars (you guys really do receive the short end of the stick).
...clean emissions.
Change the engine, simple.
Do they need my CV? I could be their Jelani. grin

1 Like

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Retrofit, or are they lazy?

Modify the shell & welds (see as e dey sweet to talk am)

Retrofit stylish ones, not the abhorrence of the 70s & 80s that US safety a**holes used to damage the looks of some sexy cars (you guys really do receive the short end of the stick).

Change the engine, simple.
Do they need my CV? I could be their Jelani. grin

As in everything I think it came down to the bean counters. At least that was what I was told by an Area Service Representative back then.

She said the retooling cost was cost prohibitive for the dismal sale in the USA.

I'm still going to find a 110 and restore it in Nigeria. I know places in South Africa/UK that still makes/sells the old panels. Only the Brits can make aluminum panels that rusts grin

1 Like

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 12:25am On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

As in everything I think it came down to the bean counters. At least that was what I was told by an Area Service Representative back then.

She said the retooling cost was cost prohibitive for the dismal sale in the USA.

I'm still going to find a 110 and restore it in Nigeria. I know places in South Africa/UK that still makes/sells the old panels. Only the Brits can make aluminum panels that rusts grin
They didn't market it as upscale like the G, that's why it didn't sell well.
Concerning your 110, don't you have any contacts with embassies & UN bodies here?
Rusty aluminium? shocked The sins of their colonial fathers live with them.
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 12:31am On Aug 19, 2017
DaimlerBen:

They didn't market it as upscale like the G, that's why it didn't sell well.
Concerning your 110, don't you have any contacts with embassies & UN bodies here?
Rusty aluminium? shocked The sins of their colonial fathers live with them.

Sell well? grin

There was a waiting list with high dealer markups for the 90 and 110 here when they were available.

The audience was different. Remember that Land Rover has the Range Rover line for luxury. The Defender was for hardcore outdoor folks and yuppies. They were not cheap trucks.
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 12:52am On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Sell well? grin

There was a waiting list with high dealer markups for the 90 and 110 here when they were available.

The audience was different. Remember that Land Rover has the Range Rover line for luxury. The Defender was for hardcore outdoor folks and yuppies. They were not cheap trucks.
But you just said they had dismal sales, or was it the high markups or the rusting aluminium? grin
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 1:31am On Aug 19, 2017
DaimlerBen:

But you just said they had dismal sales, or was it the high markups or the rusting aluminium? grin

Even though they sold all the 90/110 that they brought to the USA, and there were waiting lists, the cost required to meet the new stringent USA mandated safety/emissions laws would not be economically feasible. They would have had to almost double the price of the vehicle to recoup the costs.

They would lose money, hence why the bean counters hexed it and instead focused on the Range Rover and Discovery and LR and that thing with the bad engine whose name I forgot.

Here's a 1997 DEfender near me for sale, this was part of the last Defenders to be sold in the US. The seller is asking $85,000. Now how much would he be asking if it has all sorts of whizbangs like ABS, airbags, crush zones, pedestrian safety bumpers, etc

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1997-land-rover-defender-90-37/6258340961.html

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 11:27am On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Even though they sold all the 90/110 that they brought to the USA, and there were waiting lists, the cost required to meet the new stringent USA mandated safety/emissions laws would not be economically feasible. They would have had to almost double the price of the vehicle to recoup the costs.

They would lose money, hence why the bean counters hexed it and instead focused on the Range Rover and Discovery and LR and that thing with the bad engine whose name I forgot.

Here's a 1997 DEfender near me for sale, this was part of the last Defenders to be sold in the US. The seller is asking $85,000. Now how much would he be asking if it has all sorts of whizbangs like ABS, airbags, crush zones, pedestrian safety bumpers, etc

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/d/1997-land-rover-defender-90-37/6258340961.html
They were just plain lazy. Most things out of the Rover Group were unreliable. Would safety now be their forte?
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 19, 2017
DaimlerBen:

They were just plain lazy. Most things out of the Rover Group were unreliable. Would safety now be their forte?

We enjoy unprecedented safety standards here in the USA. This is why cars are rather expensive here and many manufacturers prefer not to, or cannot afford to, export their vehicles here.

Peugeot pulled out years back after only a few years here. And Citroen, Rover, etc were never sold here in the USA because they would fail our standards. You'll never find any of the Chinese made death traps here for sale.

FIAT just came back after many years gone.

Rover group may very well have what is needed to pass the standards but at what cost? Would they be able to still sell the cars at a profit after the dance to the USA EPA/NTSB music? grin

So there's technological intent and economical intent, those two are not mutually exclusive. The engineers can do it but they bean counters may decide against it on behalf of the stock holders.

There are many hotrod small compacts that my inner circle of autoists salivate for that are available in Europe and Japan but not to us here, sadly.

Do you know that I can import a 1967 Austin Mini which is basically a death trap? No airbags, no ABS, no crush zone or side impact bars. But I cannot import a 2000 Mini Cooper which has ABS, fuel injection (better emissions), side impact bars, air bags, etc grin
Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 19, 2017

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by DaimlerBen(m): 12:03pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

There are many hotrod small compacts that my inner circle of autoists salivate for that are available in Europe and Japan but not to us here, sadly.

Do you know that I can import a 1967 Austin Mini which is basically a death trap? No airbags, no ABS, no crush zone or side impact bars. But I cannot import a 2000 Mini Cooper which has ABS, fuel injection (better emissions), side impact bars, air bags, etc grin
Yes, their 25-year import rule.
I still maintain that they were lazy, spending half their production times on strikes. That's how the Japs overtook them & the Chinese bought some (can you imagine?), now there's hardly any wholly British-owned marques left.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 12:07pm On Aug 19, 2017
DaimlerBen:

Yes, their 25-year import rule.
I still maintain that they were lazy, spending half their production times on strikes. That's how the Japs overtook them & the Chinese bought some (can you imagine?), now there's hardly any wholly British-owned marques left.

I personally think every Brit should have hung their heads in shame when BMW bought Rolls Royce angry

But such is life.

1 Like

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 19, 2017
EgunMogaji:

We enjoy unprecedented safety standards here in the USA. This is why cars are rather expensive here and many manufacturers prefer not to, or cannot afford to, export their vehicles here.

Peugeot pulled out years back after only a few years here. And Citroen, Rover, etc were never sold here in the USA because they would fail our standards. You'll never find any of the Chinese made death traps here for sale.

FIAT just came back after many years gone.

Rover group may very well have what is needed to pass the standards but at what cost? Would they be able to still sell the cars at a profit after the dance to the USA EPA/NTSB music? grin

So there's technological intent and economical intent, those two are not mutually exclusive. The engineers can do it but they bean counters may decide against it on behalf of the stock holders.

Never fear Trump is here to Maga and throw all those silly regulations out the door.

2 Likes

Re: The Return Of The Land Rover Defender by LeJeun3: 12:00am On Aug 20, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I personally think every Brit should have hung their heads in shame when BMW bought Rolls Royce angry

But such is life.

Brits keep behaving like the ostrich! Hiding their heads in the sand....

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fuel Consumption For Camry 2007 / Lexus Es 350 2008 / The Hyundai Logo Actually Means Much More Than You Think!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.