Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,499 members, 7,770,252 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:08 AM

Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks (6799 Views)

Top Used Car Tricks And How To Avoid Them / Dirty Tricks Petrol Stations, Attendants Use To Cheat Customers / Tips & Tricks - How To Care For Your Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by evantical: 5:29pm On Feb 17, 2010
If you are a motorist you might have noticed it as well.these fuel attendants have devised these means to cheat motorists.you get to a fuel station and tell them how many liters to buy ,they pretend not hearing and fill may be some liters and ask you later how many?they will then continue from where the stopped without wiping the recorded liters out.eg ,u ar to buy 10 liters ,they will stop at 3 saying they thought you said 3 and continue to top till it reads 7 on the metre and they tell you that the former 3 plus new 7=10.instead of continuing from that 3 to 10 0r wipe out the former 3 and fill 7 liters which will total 10.i have encounterd these numerous times that yesterday at oando at Awka i have to lambast the female attendant and later met the manager to tell him about it and he confessed tha most workers have been sacked with incidence regardin to this.so next time you get to that fuel station, that young sexy fuel attendant beaming a smile and asking you "how the journey"? beware she may be ripping u off! Fellow NLers feel free to narrate ur xperience.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by evantical: 12:41pm On Feb 18, 2010
any experience or am i alone?
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by sesbol(m): 1:38pm On Feb 18, 2010
Your experience is just one of the many, i have had a situation with these attendants many times one of such times was a day i went to one popular filling station at Ikeja Lagos, the pump in use was one of those with two dispensing nooses , the attendant was using the noose on the other side with the excuse that the one on the side were mu ride was had malfunctioned. After selling for about three bike men it was my turn, he then asked me how much i wanted, i told him 30litres he just continued dispensing into my tank without wiping the previous counts on the meter

I immediately challenged him, but he denied and treathened to stop selling for me since others were eager to buy, but he met his match in me because i do not give room for cheats like him, when others started agitating and demanding to know why the cue was slow i started ton gelashing him and branded him a silly cheat, he quickly pleaded with me and did the right thing but i did not pay for what he dispensed earlier.

Nairalander be ware of fraudulent attendants. Stand your ground most especially when you are sure of the fact at your disposal.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Pamperme: 1:48pm On Feb 18, 2010
Mine happened right in front of me shocked. he sold N500 to a bike man and i asked him to sell 1500 fuel, without erasing it, he continue dispensing. i started screaming at him but he apologise that he didnt check it and that he was tired. The people around me started abusing him as well.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Fhemmmy: 2:40pm On Feb 18, 2010
This is some scary stuff . . . .all in the name of making some change or should i say steal some change?
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by FKseun(m): 3:10pm On Feb 18, 2010
A lot of these fuel attendants are out to exploit unsuspecting motorists. They use all sorts of means to distract you in order to fraudulently dispense fuel to you. One of their common strategy is to ensure that they dispense fuel to an okada man just before they sell to their victim. If one is not alert enough, they end up commencing your purchase from where that of the okada ended. Atimes they point out something that is not well placed in/on your car or a rusty party of the fuel tank cover (playing good samaritan in the process). Once your attention is diverted or divided, THEY STRIKE.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by GeorgeD1(m): 6:29pm On Feb 18, 2010
oando girls are fond of this. angry
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Nettuno: 6:41pm On Feb 18, 2010
Not only oando, TOTAL attendants do the same. Theirs is to point out a rusty part of fuel tank and point to where they park oil and ask you to lubricate the area. Once you look in that direction, they strike, Watch out when they sart being "very nice" to you.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by GeorgeD1(m): 6:46pm On Feb 18, 2010
yes, but i think it's more rampant with oando girls.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by aganaboos1: 1:48pm On Feb 19, 2010
They all do this stealing trash. The day we all know that giving bribe is a sin will be the beginning of wisdom.This people are actually the customer service officers of this oil companies and they are not trained to do the job right.It seems they were trained by officials of the Nigerian Police that is why they have started collecting N20.TGF.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by MsTom(f): 2:13pm On Feb 19, 2010
Na wa o! Am stunned
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by sequencel(m): 2:38pm On Feb 19, 2010
@ Poster is not only in fuel station,many of you that visit the snack and eatery joint,did you always collect your receipt and double check with what you buy.
Please do so one day and you would be amaze that that beef roll you buy @ 100 or so was bill as beef pie for 160.
Please try to always check the receipt
Thanks
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by samstels: 2:58pm On Feb 19, 2010
Total fuel attendants are terrible,followed by conoil,then texaco.I think is safer buying from independent marketers just that they dont sell at the stipulated 65/litr,upon all the money they steal from innocent motorist they still remain attendants.Though there are still few that are very good and disciplined.

I will just say that you have to be very alert whenever you in any of these stations to refuel .
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by atilla(m): 3:13pm On Feb 19, 2010
hhhm there are many many variations to these tricks.

theres one that someone would come to you offering u super striker comic in texaco, i think they have stopped that now.
theres the one they would continue selling from okada, thats y they always like selling to okada before u, if ur not looking they just continue.
when someone offers chewing gum he might be distracting u.
when they start wiping your windscreen dont look at them, look at the meter
theres one that they manipulate the hose so nothing is coming out although the meter is running that one is the hardest and i think it happens in ap/oando stations.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by badboym: 3:14pm On Feb 19, 2010
This is not new.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by buttkick: 3:52pm On Feb 19, 2010
Another trick used by the attendant is to distract you as you arrive. A good one is that the last guy that drove off issued a fake N500.00 note. As you try to inspect they start dispencing without wiping off and round up at the fee you want to pay. Secondly if you asked for N2,500.00 worth they will stop at N1,500.00 ready to wipe off. If you protest they will feign ignorance or that it was a mistake.

Almost all stations dispence a quantity that is lower than  the approved rate. In abuja where I live, Illuobe is a no go area. As for Oando I have vowed not to be found there for any reason. I had filled my tank the night before for a trip to Kaduna. A round trip from my house to pick up a friend that we were traveling together  with made me consider  another fill up even though I had not done more than 17km. Oando filling staion on Kubwa road gave a N2,300.00 fill up. I decided on another day to verify if my instints were right by running my tank down deliberatly before I headed into that station again. I filled up for N5,700.0 as against a normal N4,200.00 at the most. The rest , as they say, is history.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Nobody: 4:09pm On Feb 19, 2010
The most important thing is just to be attentive at the filling station. The idea is simple. Distract the customer by engaging in gists or try to be friendly and nice and then strike.

So anytime the attendant is becoming unsually friendly or nice, watch out, he is out for no good to you.

I was at the Conoil Filling station after the old toll gate the other night to buy fuel, and I noticed some nice cars parked and innocently enquired from the guy about the cars, immediately he launched into the story of how the cars are owned by the friends of the owner of the station, how they usually come around every nights with such exotics cars, how rich they are and all whats-not all in attempt to engage me un-neccassrily. Eventually he succeded in selling the dummy.

It was when I got home that I realised the harm the guy did, but I could not drive back since it was a bit late.

I went there the following morning and demanded to see the Maanger, but the attendants on duty asked for my reason and I explained what happened the previous night and described the guy. At this point, the guys on duty started apologising since according to them, the guy is notorious for that and already had the last warning from the manager.

To cut the story short, they asked how much fuel I paid for and they sold every liters for me all over again even against my protest that they should only sell what I was cheated on.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by BluStreak(m): 4:29pm On Feb 19, 2010
This their trick is everywhere o my people. Mine was at conoil along tin can area. I fell woefully for it, but I got them back some weeks later. I pulled in to buy N2000 fuel and as a motorist, you have a good knowledge of your tank capacity. With the quantity I have left in my tank, N2k should get me to 3/4 of my tank capacity. If you have been buying fuel for long, you can also estimate how long it will take to dispense N2000 fuel. As pulled in for a refill the attendants drew my attention to my tank hood spill duct while he dispensed the fuel. He said I should always make sure its never clogged to avoid rusting. As this dialogue was going on, a 2nd attendant (an accomplice obviously) stopped the machine (I don't know at what point it was stopped) and keyed in N2000 on the display. This I figured out on my own while pondering on how the spurn the trick on me cos I saw N2000 clearly on the pump display but my guage when I pulled off didn't even go halfway.

However, some weeks later, I went to the same station to buy fuel. The attendants were chit-chatting like they always do. The attendant that sold fuel after dispensing it forgot to come forward for her money and I drove off. This time with N500 profit. Ha ha ha. After I got my revenge, I never had to go to that horrible station again. Did I also mention that before I got my pound of flesh, I still go there to buy fuel but made sure I frustrate every move to spin another one on me.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by PurestBoy(m): 4:44pm On Feb 19, 2010
Some NLders are fuel attendants, I know them but I don't want to start callng names
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by chelseabmw(m): 4:56pm On Feb 19, 2010
interesting topic, this will really help people like 190 grin
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by GeorgeD1(m): 5:23pm On Feb 19, 2010
all this is happening because of rampant corruption in the land.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by KunleA2(m): 5:33pm On Feb 19, 2010
What if you always buy in jerry cans? Like say you go there with like 25Liter jerry can. You know its 25Ltrs and its nearly impossible to cheat you cos they can't charge you more for it. undecided

Will that help?
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by ogb5(m): 6:14pm On Feb 19, 2010
Total is the worst cheat of all from my experience. They have so many tricks and you will be lucky to catch them all the time.

One particular trick is this.

You pull up to a Total filling station and tell them to give you say 2,000 naira fuel.

The attendant will simply put the noozle in your tank and dispense the fuel very slowing. Immediately the meter reads 100.00 naira he will stop dispencing and tell you he has dispenced 1000 naira fuel and ask for payment.
Your focus will be on getting him to dispense the 2000 naira you requested for, you will see 1 and several zeros on the meter and assume it is actually 1000 naira fuel dispensed so far.

He will wipe the meter, telling you you have already bought 1000 naira fuel and dispense the extra 1000 naira. At the end you pay 2000 for a fuel of 1100 naira. You will only be surprised that your fuel guage is not indicating the volume of fuel you were expecting. But you will be very sure you bought 2000 naira fuel.

Some attendants even dispense 10.00 naira fuel and tell you they have dispence 1000 naira fuel.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by bolanleodu: 7:02pm On Feb 19, 2010
I have fallen for most of there tricks but never had the courage to confront them but all that must change.

Their latest trick is this: they type in the right amount for you but at a point in the sale the pump engine losses some torque and slows down. If the nozzle is the kind that has the transparent white bell at the wrist of the nozzle you'd probably notice that the silicon balls (sometime red, green or yellow in colour) stops dancing i.e stops moving at that point, the meter keep reading but the pump is dispensing at a lower rate. So insist that that red silicon ball keeps moving.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by bolanleodu: 7:04pm On Feb 19, 2010
I have fallen for most of there tricks but never had the courage to confront them but all that must change.

Their latest trick is this: they type in the right amount for you but at a point in the sale the pump engine losses some torque and slows down. If the nozzle is the kind that has the transparent white cell at the wrist of the nozzle you'd probably notice that the silicon balls (sometime red, green or yellow in colour) stops dancing i.e stops moving at that point, the meter keep reading but the pump is dispensing at a lower rate. So insist that that red silicon ball keeps moving.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by GeorgeD1(m): 7:16pm On Feb 19, 2010
hmmm! so many tricks just to bilk dupe unsuspecting customers!
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by NnaNna4(m): 7:25pm On Feb 19, 2010
Guys I thank God 4 this topic

I fell 100% for d bait sometime ago in abuja in nnpc mega filling station, as I was busy looking out 4 my friend i knew quite back now working in filling station. I didnt know dat d slaghter is also in NNPC MEGA fi-st.

I demanded 4 2k worth of fuel it didnt occur to me abt the trick and i only remembered later when i was wondering y d fuel was not upto the expected mark that after selling to okada this guy did not wipe d  meter.almost 1000 naira short

I REALLY FELT BAD and fooled

Just today I escaped one new style.
As usual I was busy asking d guy how much and guy said 90
just then my coleague i was carrying in the vehicle just notifyd me of
a smart move.
d meter had read 004 that is 4L in an unsuspecting STYLE. when i asked him about it
because it actually didnot look serious. do u know dis guy had to open the glass compartment to continue pulling it down like a dialing machine b4 it came to 000.

Guys i marvelled. pls beware

look like i will recite a lot of tricks bf going to filling station this days
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Feraz(m): 7:34pm On Feb 19, 2010
Pls, any agency we can report those dat inflate petrol price? Just tell me. It's bcomng annoyn. Dey wud not reset d pump 2 sell 2 u yet they wud inflate d price thereby makin double gain. Imagine 5 litres = #500(oando)
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by tushbobo(m): 7:37pm On Feb 19, 2010
This isnt new its been on for ages.Dont reply to fuel attendant's nice gestures or smile at them when u want to buy fuel.Just concentrate on what u came to do(buy fuel).They use many tactics and the best way u can beat them is to avoiding much interaction and focusing on the pump,
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Feraz(m): 7:46pm On Feb 19, 2010
This kind f attitude has made many curse them. Like a guy dat cursed a fuel attendant n told him he wud neva c a gud job
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by bolanleodu: 10:04pm On Feb 19, 2010
Still got cheated today. Didn't want to make a fuss over it because i was dashing down to lasgidi. Next time i think put my foot down.
Re: Beware Of This Fuel Sales Attendants Tricks by Fhemmmy: 10:06pm On Feb 19, 2010
This is really serious oh . . . . how come the gas stations aint doing anything about this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2012 Toyota Avensis For Sale @ N2.7m...Quick Sale / 2006-2014 Benz E350 Tokunbo thread vin included 08088525399 / Toyota Camry 2000 Model,white Color Very Clean For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.