Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,055 members, 7,835,571 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria (634 Views)

My Experience With Access Bank During 14-Day Covid-19 Lockdown In Abuja (Photos) / Detailed Advice In Starting A Filling Station In Nigeria / Learn From My Experience On Fiverr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by seliaju(m): 10:14pm On Aug 19, 2017
August 10, 2017 made it seven years since the idea first struck me to start a training school saddled with the responsibility of training intrested persons in a particular profession. I have gathered very vital lessons in the course of setting up and running of the said school which I would love to share with aspiring entrepreneurs. These lessons are particularly about the attitudinal requirements of running a business in a rugged terrain like Nigeria.I hope this list of virtues will make sense to you.

Patience
This is one important virtue that can save you from fraudstars. I have learnt to wait until I get the best deal. Sometimes, it may not come quickly but it will surely come. However, that patience is necessary does not mean you have to be slow as you may miss the right opportunity.

Perseverance
There are a lot of reasons to give up on that idea. The daily challenges businesses encounter are enough to ground businesses that are not failure-proof. I learnt you must hold on long enough until you overcome the teething problems businesses face.

Capital
I learnt that there is capital enough to start any business anytime, anywhere. Don't forget time is a form of capital. I invested enough time to grow the business. I kept on investing time and the earnings I made from my salary while working for another firm. It paid off in the long run because, as at take off of the school, I had acquired 70% of the asset and human capital required without having half a million in reserves at any point. As the monies came in, I pushed it into the school irrespective of the amount.

Management
I discovered that I need to be the first advert officer of my business. Nobody will advertise my business better that myself. Thus I set advert and publicity targets for myself first before I do so for other members of my team. I carefully selected the management team from among the pool of human resources I met and some I grew up with in the course of my life. Some are good but for those who are not, I define how best to manage them.

Failure
I discovered that what strengthens resolve is failure. For now, I am not afraid to fail. At a point I dropped out of school but had to fire forward again when the opportunity resurfaced. That academic failure is what made me a school proprietor today.
I believe everything is possible.

Re: Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by swiz123(m): 10:15pm On Aug 19, 2017
Keep your lessons to yourself
Re: Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by seliaju(m): 10:22pm On Aug 19, 2017
swiz123:
Keep your lessons to yourself
you are quite funny bro
Re: Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by DOUBLEWAHALA: 10:38pm On Aug 19, 2017
bro I thought this ur experience should be personal now u r tellin us how to make it are u patoranking
Re: Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by Young03(m): 10:40pm On Aug 19, 2017
The only reasonable thing is pick here is the Capital

Money first before anything
With money u will be motivated to go into the business.

Many people here have business ideas BT no capital

just like me
Re: Today's Entrepreneur: My Experience In Starting A Business In Nigeria by castro316: 12:42am On Aug 20, 2017
seliaju:
August 10, 2017 made it seven years since the idea first struck me to start a training school saddled with the responsibility of training intrested persons in a particular profession. I have gathered very vital lessons in the course of setting up and running of the said school which I would love to share with aspiring entrepreneurs. These lessons are particularly about the attitudinal requirements of running a business in a rugged terrain like Nigeria.I hope this list of virtues will make sense to you.

Patience
This is one important virtue that can save you from fraudstars. I have learnt to wait until I get the best deal. Sometimes, it may not come quickly but it will surely come. However, that patience is necessary does not mean you have to be slow as you may miss the right opportunity.

Perseverance
There are a lot of reasons to give up on that idea. The daily challenges businesses encounter are enough to ground businesses that are not failure-proof. I learnt you must hold on long enough until you overcome the teething problems businesses face.

Capital
I learnt that there is capital enough to start any business anytime, anywhere. Don't forget time is a form of capital. I invested enough time to grow the business. I kept on investing time and the earnings I made from my salary while working for another firm. It paid off in the long run because, as at take off of the school, I had acquired 70% of the asset and human capital required without having half a million in reserves at any point. As the monies came in, I pushed it into the school irrespective of the amount.

Management
I discovered that I need to be the first advert officer of my business. Nobody will advertise my business better that myself. Thus I set advert and publicity targets for myself first before I do so for other members of my team. I carefully selected the management team from among the pool of human resources I met and some I grew up with in the course of my life. Some are good but for those who are not, I define how best to manage them.

Failure
I discovered that what strengthens resolve is failure. For now, I am not afraid to fail. At a point I dropped out of school but had to fire forward again when the opportunity resurfaced. That academic failure is what made me a school proprietor today.
I believe everything is possible.

Ride on bro. Some people feel they must comment crap on every thread they see. Only those who are really zealous out there will understand your post. More grease to your elbow bro

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lodgers Chased Out As FIRS Seals Hotel For Tax Evasion In Delta State / Letshego MFB Wins Excellence In Microfinance Banking Award / Importation Of Trucks And Vans To Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.