Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,495 members, 7,819,809 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs (4053 Views)

Amateurs Are Making $100k Selling Apps With No Coding Knowledge.you Too Can !!! / How Amateurs Are Making $100k Selling Apps With No Coding Knowledge / Programmers, How Do You Cope With Generator Noise In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by ToyinDipo(m): 10:18pm On Aug 27, 2017
ibkayee:

There are extensions that provide them or you could use arrays but fair enough

Array isn't a one fits all data structure, similar to Javascript where there are only object and array(which is also an object in how it is internally built)

1 Like

Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
Okay guys, the book reader I said will be the last personal web app I will build with PHP is 50% done. See my progress here: [url]http://bookm.000 webhost app.com/app.php?p=book[/url]
Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 29, 2017
ZestAri:
Okay guys, the book reader I said will be the last personal web app I will build with PHP is 50% done. See my progress here: [url]http://bookm.000 webhost app.com/app.php?p=book[/url]
check your mail please
Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Nobody: 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2017
bjhaid:
check your mail please

Replied
Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Nascimento(m): 12:30am On Aug 30, 2017
ZestAri:
Everywhere you cross these days you see them talking how terrible PHP is for web development. The funny thing is that some of these folks who disparagingly criticise PHP are newbies who can't really "relate" to or clearly explain why PHP is "awful."

Granted, PHP isn't one of the best designed languages out there judging from my deeper understanding of PHP and average knowledge of Java, C#, and JavaScript, with basic knowledge of C and C++, coupled with other stuff about programming/web...

However, there is too much noise by, mostly, noise making "programming JAMBitos" out there about PHP being a terrible language. Many of these guys can't build anything "clean" and meaningful with better languages they sing everyday (yes, we all know there are many better designed languages). But for web, many still find PHP awesome especially for the fact that it gets the site ready and running in a short period of time.

Also, these guys are either hypocrites or they are novices who have not studied the Nigerian market for web dev projects/jobs. Check web development jobs and projects out there, how many are PHP/WordPress/Laravel/Yii/Cake? Now, how many are are Ruby, Go, Java, etc.

For beginners
I'm writing this to advise beginners out there: if you are thinking career, don't follow the noise and noisemakers! Follow the market.

PHP wasn't originally designed to be like languages like C#. Check the history/purpose of PHP. However, if you want to talk about web development jobs in Nigeria today, PHP still tops the list, by far.

Hence, don't listen to those who "hate" PHP yet they feed themselves and family with PHP jobs.

The truth is if you are starting out with programming, I would suggest trying to understand programming itself. Python has always been a good choice to start with giving that it is relatively easy to understand. Java is a kinda cumbersome but will force you to think like a developer. PHP is scattered and more forgiving than Java.

Understanding programming will make it easy for you to pick a new language and learn it faster. Programming languages are just tools.

Knowing that a spanner is used to loosen nuts doesn't make you a mechanic; instead, knowing how to loosen nuts (with d right spanner, knowing whether to turn CW or CCW, if to add lubricants, etc.) is what mames you a mechanic.

Similarly, programming languages are just like different types of spanners. Knowing which and how to use them is what makes you a programmer.

After you've understood programming to some extent (not programming languages).... pick next language based on three things: market demand, purpose, future.

Those who say you should start learning web development with Go programming language are only talking based on awesomeness and future of the language (both of which they don't even know about. They only read and start ranting, like me?).

In conclusion,

I talk based on purpose, MARKET DEMAND, and near future.

I agree with them that PHP isn't well designed. I personally hate jumping between HTML and PHP, although MVC and other principles helped me understand how to separate even up to 99% of my PHP codes from HTML markup. Other bad stuff many real guru in programming talk about PHP are things many junior developers don't even clearly grasp why they are bad, let alone the noise makers.

This post is getting long and mixed up... Let me "come and be going" abeg. .

@OP thanks for this.
I used to be guilty of this, until I left my room desk to work briefly with a friend in the field. The truth is, PHP is required in every IT shop (except for enterprise) in Nigeria, aside c# and Java.

1 Like

Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Nobody: 8:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ahmedie28:
Php has made me so popular within short period of time, no amount of discouragement will make me abandon php , making cool cash through programming in Nigeria can only b achieve with php smiley
You're wrong.....you will get money through PHP but you will get more through PHP + other languages and you'd be almost indispensable.

2 Likes

Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by ip4love: 1:10pm On Feb 19, 2020
need EasyPhp project goto csctemple.com.ng
Re: They "Hate" PHP, Yet PHP Job Is All Their Hope - Noise Making Amateurs by Paschal5835(m): 7:38pm On Feb 22, 2020
Please, I need help on how to get video on OOP php. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

/ Am A LAMP Stack Developer �‍� And You? / Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.