Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,439 members, 7,815,998 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:09 PM

Osun Festival August 2017 (video) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Osun Festival August 2017 (video) (599 Views)

Covid19: Osun Festival Holds In Ife / Photos From 2017 Aba Festival Igara, Edo State / 2017 Isese Festival At Igbogbo, Lagos (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Osun Festival August 2017 (video) by Babalawos(m): 5:14am On Aug 23, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpRdjNsPeGs

Osun Osogbo Sacred Grove is a sacred forest along the banks of the Osun river just outside the city of Osogbo, Osun State, Nigeria.

The Osun Osogbo Grove is among the last of the sacred forests which usually adjoined the edges of most Yoruba cities before extensive urbanization. In recognition of its global significance and its cultural value, the Sacred Grove was inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005.

The 1950s saw the desecration of the Osun Osogbo Grove: shrines were neglected, priests abandoned the grove as customary responsibilities and sanctions weakened. Prohibited actions like fishing, hunting and felling of trees in the grove took place until Austrian, Susanne Wenger, came and stopped the abuse going on in the grove.

With the encouragement of the Ataoja and the support of the local people, "Wenger formed the New Sacred Art movement to challenge land speculators, repel poachers, protect shrines and begin the long process of bringing the sacred place back to life by establishing it, again, at the sacred heart of Osogbo.

Every year, the Osun festival is celebrated in the month of August at the grove. Yearly, the festival attracts thousands of Osun worshippers, spectators and tourists from all walks of life.

For the people of Osogbo Land, August is a month of celebration, traditional cleansing of the city and cultural reunion of the people with their ancestors and founders of the Osogbo Kingdom.

The Osun Festival is a two-week-long programme. It starts with the traditional cleansing of the town called 'Iwopopo' which is followed in three days by the lighting of the 500-year-old sixteen-point lamp called 'Ina Olojumerindinlogun'.

Ina Olojumerindinlogun, the sacred lamp lit at the beginning of the annual Osogbo festival, then comes the 'Ibroriade', an assemblage of the crowns of the past ruler, Ataojas of Osogbo for blessings. This event is led by the sitting Ataoja of Osogbo and the Arugba, Yeye Osun and a committee of priestesses.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos
Re: Osun Festival August 2017 (video) by Christane: 5:40am On Aug 23, 2017
baba ..ekaroo sir ..i asked u a questn bt u yet to reply me ...a odu ifa stated dat everyone dug a pit of loss b4 ventureing to earth ..nd until it z filled b4 one can experience success ...pls how can it be filled??
Re: Osun Festival August 2017 (video) by Babalawos(m): 5:55am On Aug 23, 2017
Christane:
baba ..ekaroo sir ..i asked u a questn bt u yet to reply me ...a odu ifa stated dat everyone dug a pit of loss b4 ventureing to earth ..nd until it z filled b4 one can experience success ...pls how can it be filled??

How does your question relate to this topic "Osun Festival?"
Re: Osun Festival August 2017 (video) by Christane: 5:59am On Aug 23, 2017
i dnt av any idea of d osun festival dat y my questn z nt related to it?? av been asking u dz particular questn in other thread bt stil no reply ...sorry sir ma binu
Re: Osun Festival August 2017 (video) by Babalawos(m): 6:04am On Aug 23, 2017
Christane:
i dnt av any idea of d osun festival dat y my questn z nt related to it?? av been asking u dz particular questn in other thread bt stil no reply ...sorry sir ma binu

Aboru Aboye

I had been very busy lately, that was why I was unable to reply you.

You will find your answer in Oyeku Meji. Go and study Oyeku Meji.

Babalawos

(1) (Reply)

3 Reasons Men Die Earlier Than Women / Oba Of Benin Partners With Naptip Against Human Trafficking / MAD IS THE WAY FORWARD?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.