Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:32 AM

Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid (8527 Views)

Investment / Partnership Opportunity In Lucrative Startup Businesses / 16 Businesses To Start In Nigeria With N50,000 Or Less / Business Plan Template For A Startup Businesses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by FoundersNG: 6:59am On Aug 23, 2017
Marketing is an art, very few can understand. While it works seamlessly for some, it is a nightmare to others. To survive the tough battle of attention from would be clients/customers, a startup entrepreneur needs to be king of this aspect of his business or at most, get someone to take charge on his behalf.

The success of a startup will often depend on its approach to marketing. Unfortunately the vast majority of startup founders have little to no experience or marketing or managing a marketing budget. Well it's in the planning! Make sure that you’ve got your marketing strategy in line

Many times the failure of many entrepreneurs is anchored on the fact that they pay too much attention to their products/services without much thoughts about how these would get to the end user(s). There are a huge number of private professional outfits (law, accounting and real estate firms) on the streets of Lagos who are struggling to survive. They may be loaded with the technical know-how but how these would impact their target audiences and in turn bring in the needed financial gains, is always an uphill task for them.

For a startup entrepreneur not to fall into the trap of self denial, he needs to know what he doesnt know, and take time how to study them.There are a million articles out there on brand development, launch marketing, PR, viral videos and more. Reading them all would be a start.

Often times, most startup firm fail to understand that everybody can't be your client /customer. You need yo know the basic difference between advertising and marketing. While the former is an aspect of the latter, advertising your products only gets you awareness about it. This is what some startups do on social media. They create the awareness that is not financially of benefit to the firm. Marketing your products and services offers both awareness and sales. Reaching out to the target audience/users and selling the products to them. That is what a startup needs - Sales!

Once you choose a social platform, you need to commit to it. Having an inactive presence on any of the platforms creates a bad impression. Having the last tweet date as two years back is worse than not having a Twitter handle. You need to show activity on the social platforms and website, and need to have consistency. The opposite is also true – you just can’t do too much. Don’t bombard your LinkedIn company page followers with 10 updates a day just because that will give you more number of impressions!

Some tech savvy entrepreneurs tend to forget businesses need roots to stand. They invest so much energy and resources into SEO, social media publicity, paid ads etc. Notwithstanding the gains these may bring, the failure to identify the key people that matters - the community you reside, the friends, colleagues, family and social club members who needs to be convinced by the word of mouth about what the outfit is about, may spell doom for the enterprise when the storms start to rage. These are your unpaid brand ambassadors and they would go to any length to convince other would-be clients/customers about your services. They bring in the referrals! They are the roots of any solid business. Mark Zuckerberg started out Facebook with his college friends while in Harvard University. He had a root!

People relate to other people – and this is especially true for startups, where people are
buying services from founders more than from the company. So it is important that startups include the personal branding of their founders in their social media planning and strategy. You need a face for your company.

As a startup, you don't have to copy the big brands in the industry that has the financial muscle to be on every platform, and adopt any type of marketing and awareness. You have to find out what suits your organization and your target audience. You don't want to be tweeting and posting on LinkedIn when your target clients are mostly the uneducated and aged. Be yourself. Find the right rhythm and don't expend unnecessary energy on wrong platforms.

Get on the street. Get the feedbacks about your products/services never be stiff necked about it. Accept constructive criticisms. Use it to sharpen your outputs. Meet real people and not internet reviews. Meet your early clients and talk to them!

Conclusion,
Never make the mistake of underestimating the power of compounded growth. Try as much as possible to focus on growth rate rather than absolute numbers. Then you won’t
be dismayed if the absolute numbers are small at first. If you have 30 users of your products, you only need three (3) more in a week to grow 10%. And while three users is a small number for most products, 10% a week is a great growth rate. If you keep growing at 10% a week, the absolute numbers will eventually become impressive. Grow slowly, but purposefully!

Source:
https://founders.com.ng/2017/08/04/marketing-mistake-startups-avoid/

13 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 23, 2017
This is nice..

Considering Real Estate in Nigeria? think naijapropertiesonline.com
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Afonjashapmouth: 7:05am On Aug 23, 2017
NICE ONE
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by akinjuly77(m): 10:04am On Aug 23, 2017
[url=climaxbox.com]Climaxbox is a Digital Marketing Company that can help you Business grow.[/url]
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by FoundersNG: 7:29am On Aug 24, 2017
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by FoundersNG: 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2017
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by FoundersNG: 6:39am On Sep 21, 2017
mynd44, lalasticlala
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by pejuakinab: 7:12am On Sep 21, 2017
Ask Nigerian lady her marketing strategy style, u will be amazed.
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:13am On Sep 21, 2017
Thanks op.
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by wizkidblogger(f): 7:18am On Sep 21, 2017
ok
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by IMASTEX: 7:19am On Sep 21, 2017
Nice info

1 Like

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by plucky16(m): 7:30am On Sep 21, 2017
preach!
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Great4God: 7:57am On Sep 21, 2017
Quite educative,the mistake most start up do have is with identifing your main customer target, being able to discover your target audience and designing a strategic channel to getting across to them is the key

1 Like

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by refreshrate: 8:25am On Sep 21, 2017
Great4God:
Quite educative,the mistake most start up do have is with identifing your main customer target, being able to discover your target audience and designing a strategic channel to getting across to them is the key

This right here is everything the OP should have written...in far more precise & simpler terms.

Thanks boss
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by bimpeecrown(f): 8:34am On Sep 21, 2017
Very informative, difference between advertising and marketing.. Wow. Nice one op
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by olowobaba10: 8:37am On Sep 21, 2017
ARE YOU BLOWING ALL THESE BIG GRAMMAR FOR MARKET STARTERS, WHY NOT COME DOWN TO SIMPLE WORDS THEY CAN EASILY UNDERSTAND?

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Bawsse(m): 8:41am On Sep 21, 2017
Impressive write up, op don't mind the people saying that you are blowing grammar, your words are quite understandable

3 Likes

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Milo30(m): 9:13am On Sep 21, 2017
Nice writeup
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by biggy26: 9:40am On Sep 21, 2017
Without marketing, there is no product!

Pls guys, help me preview this site and tell me what u think of it. I appreciate. www.poontoe.com
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Yhemit(m): 9:41am On Sep 21, 2017
God .... just one page for this reasonable article, if we're to discuss about sex blah blah.... we're going to have like 10 pages
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by biggy26: 9:47am On Sep 21, 2017
Yhemit:
God .... just one page for this reasonable article, if we're to discuss about sex blah blah.... we're going to have like 10 pages
I tell u. Lool!
Pls help me check d comment above u. Tnks!

1 Like

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by 400billionman: 9:52am On Sep 21, 2017
ok
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by silasweb(m): 9:53am On Sep 21, 2017
Thanks for the tips
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by 400billionman: 9:56am On Sep 21, 2017
olowobaba10:
ARE YOU BLOWING ALL THESE BIG GRAMMAR FOR MARKET STARTERS, WHY NOT COME DOWN TO SIMPLE WORDS THEY CAN EASILY UNDERSTAND?

Learning involves people moving up.

Expecting those up to descend to your level is not learning.

If you keep reading passages like this you don't understand, very soon you will start understanding them..

2 Likes

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by jboi08(m): 10:35am On Sep 21, 2017
Good information i can make use of in promoting my interior finishes Start-up.
Thanks op
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by SkenolProp(m): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2017
Excellent article grin grin #MY SIGNATURE #MY PROFILE
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Yinxies(f): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2017
Nice one
Do you want to earn money this season making hats/fascinators and other accessories?

Join our *ONLINE MILLINERY CLASS*

*ENTRY CLASS IS FREE*
**How to make a simple bridal Fascinator

*Main Class (N500)*
• Bridal hats and Fascinators (simple and complex Designs)
• Ankara hats and Fascinators
• Bridal Fans
• Bridal fans with Aso-Oke
• Hair Clips and accessories
• Ankara accessories
**Certificate of completion of course

Call /Whtsapp 08090624419 for details

Please share with other sisters and help someone make money this season
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Yhemit(m): 1:15pm On Sep 21, 2017
biggy26:
Without marketing, there is no product!

Pls guys, help me preview this site and tell me what u think of it. I appreciate. www.poontoe.com

Great site Bro.... you can ads it on Facebook, IG. God go bless our hustle sir

1 Like

Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by Yhemit(m): 1:17pm On Sep 21, 2017
400billionman:

Learning involves people moving up.

Expecting those up to descend to your level is not learning.

If you keep reading passages like this you don't understand, very soon you will start understanding them..

loolz... soft punchline
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by ikevictor: 11:19pm On Sep 21, 2017
This post is so good that it gave me a hard on!!

Quite educating. Well done OP
Re: Marketing Mistakes For Startup Businesses To Avoid by buynaijagoods: 1:33am On Sep 22, 2017
Yinxies:
Nice one
Do you want to earn money this season making hats/fascinators and other accessories?

Join our *ONLINE MILLINERY CLASS*

*ENTRY CLASS IS FREE*
**How to make a simple bridal Fascinator

*Main Class (N500)*
• Bridal hats and Fascinators (simple and complex Designs)
• Ankara hats and Fascinators
• Bridal Fans
• Bridal fans with Aso-Oke
• Hair Clips and accessories
• Ankara accessories
**Certificate of completion of course

Call /Whtsapp 08090624419 for details

Please share with other sisters and help someone make money this season

You can sell your Products on https://buynaijagoods.com .

With https://buynaijagoods.com , your location is no more your hindrance to local and international Buyers of your Products.

@Op, good tutorial.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Start Profitable Hair Salon Business / I'm A Student; How Do I Invest $100? / Please Help!!! It Seems Fidelity Bank Is Trying To Dupe Me Of My 107,000 Naira

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.