Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,621 members, 7,827,322 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria (2135 Views)

List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Nijablog: 11:23am On Aug 23, 2017
In the ending hours of yesterday 22nd of August 2017,students and concerned parent/ individuals were shock over the announcement of the new cut- off marks for the Joint admission and Matricution board (JAMB),the examination body that conduct pre- qualifying examinations in Nigeria for students aspiring to gain admissions into the Universities and other Nigeria tertiary institutions. According to JAMB,the new cut-off marks are as follow: 120 for universities 100 for polytechnics and colleges of education 110 for innovative enterprise institute(IEI) At this point,it is imperative to know that the total marks obtainable in the examination is 400 points of which according to JAMB,over 500000 of the 1.7m candidates obtain 200 points and above.Going through social media,you will see students complaining of this new development as it entails very revealing uncertainties towards their admission and according to one of such students (name withheld),he wrote”Last year I scored 177 thereby hoping to go to the polytechnic but unfortunately JAMB increase cut- off mark for all institutions to 180 and this year,having scored 234,hoping for something good even if it is poly,now JAMB is doing their foolish thing#Oh God,am I curse”. NIJABLOG wants to use this medium to acknowledged that this new development is a disgrace to Nigeria and a shift from international best practices i.e it is generally acceptable that until 50percent of obtainable points is scored in any test/ examination,such performance is a failure.This mean that if international best practices should be followed,200 should be the cut- off point out of 400 which the former 180 cut- off wasn’t up to but it was manageable but 120 out of 400 is no for cut-off point i.e it is now 30percent which is very poor and a setback for JAMB with regards to one of it missions which is to ensure only the serious students are admitted into universities and other institutions. Apart from the disgrace this new development has brought to Nigeria, it also spells how our educational sector is diminishing over time.It also spells how competitive admission processes are going to be this year,therefore students should prepare for the worst despite their score cause this development means almost every aspirant who sat for the JAMB examination will be eligible for screening since it is rare for students to score below 120. Nevertheless unconfirmed report shows the JAMB registrar,Prof. Oloyede,a former vice- chancellor retracing his actions according to a statement he made to newsmen stating that 120 is not the cut- off rather it is trying to demonstrate that universities and other institutions have monopoly of choosing their various cut-off but it shouldn’t be less than 120 for universities, 100 for polytechnics and colleges of education and 110 for innovative enterprise institute. Source: http://www.nijablog.com.ng/jamb-cut-off-a-disgrace-to-nigeria

Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Yuppie2(m): 1:05pm On Aug 23, 2017
even we that wrote the jamb are confused
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by herzern(m): 1:15pm On Aug 23, 2017

Paragraphs...Disaster

Punctuations...Woeful
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by bjwizzo(m): 1:16pm On Aug 23, 2017
me my self am confuse
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Nijablog: 1:24pm On Aug 23, 2017
herzern:

Paragraphs...Disaster

Punctuations...Woeful

Don't blame us,it was caused by this copy and paste stuff i.e I copied it from www.nijablog.com.ng and paste it here without editing but nevertheless your observation have been noted...Thanks.
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by alexmaye(m): 2:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Wahala dy o

1 Like

Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by timzyrhymes(m): 3:10pm On Aug 23, 2017
Guys, like seriously I totally disagree with all of you on this note...Everyone is busy criticizing the reduction of JAMB's cut-off mark while failing to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I must give thumbs up to jamb for this..it's a welcome development to our country now youths can easily go to school without the fear of "JAMB GO JAM ME" I mean look at other developed countries nothing like admission barrier "after high school college direct" why must Nigeria be different?? Jamb I salute una ,the registrar is working

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Nijablog: 3:15pm On Aug 23, 2017
timzyrhymes:
Guys, like seriously I totally disagree with all of you on this note...Everyone is busy criticizing the reduction of JAMB's cut-off mark while failing to see the light at the end of the tunnel, I must give thumbs up to jamb for this..it's a welcome development to our country now youths can easily go to school without the fear of "JAMB GO JAM ME" I mean look at other developed countries nothing like admission barrier "after high school college direct" why must Nigeria be different?? Jamb I salute una ,the registrar is working
You shouldn't have say all that,if there should be no admission barrier,why not just scrap jamb
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Daniel2802(m): 3:31pm On Aug 23, 2017
Y'all just don't understand the news. Schools are free to choose their own cut off mark, jamb just meant that they shouldn't go below the specified marks.
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by timzyrhymes(m): 4:23pm On Aug 23, 2017
Daniel2802:
Y'all just don't understand the news. Schools are free to choose their own cut off mark, jamb just meant that they shouldn't go below the specified marks.
I fully understand,I just wish those universities will follow suit I meant its a welcome development.. now our student won't be flying to Ghana,Benin or any African country because of the fear of "Gaining admission
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Prefola: 5:56pm On Aug 23, 2017
Daniel2802:

Tanku veri much bro,u jxt spoke my mind.i dont knw y people can't read and comprehend a simple news article.d most disheartening part of it all is dat dis set of pple call demselves 'students'....i don't knw y pple derive joy in confusing pple nd spreading rumor, jxt bcuz they want traffic on their blog...
i weep 4 d future...
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by armadeo(m): 6:07pm On Aug 23, 2017
Rubbish.

Any score below 50% of the total is complete nonsense for any ReaSon. If only one person passes then he should gain admission others should come back next year

This is what happens when standards are compromised. We then get half baked graduates who don't know their left from right. After all they hold a certificate.

Nairaland topic be like see corpers statement on the social media or see graduate's application letter.

Let's call a spade a spade.

If you support this then go learn a trade you shouldn't be educated.

Nonsense

Modified..

The dude above me is very funny. An examination body tells you not to admit anyone who scores below 25%. Does that make sense?

The registrar or whoever came to this decision should be fired for incompetence.

1 Like

Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by rollybest(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2017
Nijablog:

Don't blame us,it was caused by this copy and paste stuff i.e I copied it from www.nijablog.com.ng and paste it here without editing but nevertheless your observation have been noted...Thanks.
You are a disgrace to Nigeria.
the registrar said minimum mark,not maximum.
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by rollybest(m): 6:54pm On Aug 23, 2017
armadeo:
Rubbish.

Any score below 50% of the total is complete nonsense for any ReaSon. If only one person passes then he should gain admission others should come back next year

This is what happens when standards are compromised. We then get half baked graduates who don't know their left from right. After all they hold a certificate.

Nairaland topic be like see corpers statement on the social media or see graduate's application letter.

If you support this then go learn a trade you shouldn't be educated.

Nonsense

Modified..

The dude above me is very funny. An examination body tells you not to admit anyone who scores below 25%. Does that make sense?

The registrar or whoever came to this decision should be fired for incompetence.
You that is educated, look at your use of English
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Prefola: 7:26pm On Aug 23, 2017
armadeo:
Rubbish.

If you support this then go learn a trade you shouldn't be educated.Nonsense
Modified..The dude above me is very funny. An examination body tells you not to admit anyone who scores below 25%. Does that make sense?
Bro y is simple english so hard 4 u 2 understand??
wat d article was trying 2 say was dat d cutoff of d institutions shouldn't b less than d cutoffs listed above...simply put,datz d minimum cutoff..
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 23, 2017
You sound retarded
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 23, 2017
wat is jamb sef
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by realsoneh: 9:14pm On Aug 23, 2017
This year's JAMB performance Is an indictment on WAEC . How can people who massively passed WAEC perform woefully in jamb.This goes a long way in proving the level of exam malpractice in waec.
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by armadeo(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2017
Prefola:

Bro y is simple english so hard 4 u 2 understand??
wat d article was trying 2 say was dat d cutoff of d institutions shouldn't b less than d cutoffs listed above...simply put,datz d minimum cutoff..

You still don't get it. 120 is too low for a national cut off. It's a disgrace for a body to declare as a cut off mark.
Re: JAMB Cut-off: A Disgrace To Nigeria by armadeo(m): 8:22am On Aug 24, 2017
rollybest:

You that is educated, look at your use of English

As usual nothing constructive to say. You that is educated what is your take?

While you are at it please correct my use of English...

We learn everyday.

(1) (Reply)

Netmetric Exposed / 5 Most Sort After Courses To Study In Any Nigerian University / National Common Entrance Examinations Past Questions (2011 To 2021)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.